What was the best gift you ever got at Burning Man?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:36 am

I LOVE the Penguin that comes OUT of NO WHERE when your out in the deep playa and gives you Shave Ice sooooooo very wonderful!! (I mean snowcones for you mainlanders)

And the HOT DOG CART is the BEssssssstttttt !! THank you Hot Dog Cart Guy!!! Ahhhhhh sooooo many great gifts BUT the gift of FOod always tastes sooooo good on the Playa- maybe 'cause your outside Or maybe 'cause you weren't expecting It- Or Maybe it's that I LOVE FOOD !! LOL
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 pm

What about the Ramen noodle guy? with the little push cart? that was perfectly timed when I was walking across the open playa at 2-3AM

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 am

Ahhhh yea Ramen Noooooddllee GUY!! HE is Very nice and does have WOnderful timing!!!
A couple years back I was hanging at the very end on the event Monday afternoon with ROb Cruz & his Girl J at the SHallow End gettin' our last party ON, and the noodle guy was gettin' ready to leave all pack up and we offered him some cold water and a snack - HE was sooooooo nice and grateful you'd think we'd given him a Million Dollars!!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:42 pm

2002, walking the Esplanade, 2:30 AM, left camp in a hurry to avoid escalating drama situation...halfway 'round the arc from camp, realize I've left without my flask - think to self 'aargh! wish I had my Bushmill's' - two guys heading the opposite direction offer me a swig out of their Bushmill's bottle! ESP and serendipitous fortune, all in one fell swoop!!
I've received lots of great playa gifts, but this one wins for WOW factor...

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm

ESP at Burningman, divine intervention?? This is for real.

Its wednesday during the event at about 0300 in the am. I am working with ESD and crossing the playa from 4 O'Clock to 9 O'Clock and Its FREEZING, I am driving one fo those little Kawasaki rigs we use at a snails pace because the air cuts through my clothes like a knife.

So i say aloud - "I wish I had a cap" and not 5 seconds later a Brand new Carhartt wool cap, with tags still attached comes into view. I pull up to it pick it up, look around and no one! I put it on and am warmed.

Jokingly As we pull away I say " now all I need is a bottle of water" 50 feet further a 24 pack of water still on the cardboard flat and wrapped in plastic.

Now im getting into it and as I pull away I say " I need a bag of cash - 100's please" nothing.,,,,,

I then realized i burned out my mojo and karma in one...

great night.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 am

See? That's why you always ask for the cash FIRST! You could've used it to get the cap and water... :wink:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:22 am

This beautiful girl gave me this beanie hat thing that was so great. I know I am supposed to say the "Triple Rainbow" and stuff like that, but that hat kicked ass.
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:14 am

BAS wrote:See? That's why you always ask for the cash FIRST! You could've used it to get the cap and water... :wink:

... in Gerlach.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:19 am

Now im getting into it and as I pull away I say " I need a bag of cash - 100's please

i always ask for drugs, and if i spend 20 minutes every morning doing random mooping on the open playa, the playa ALWAYS answers my prayers.

thanks playa, for that vial of liquid last year, it was TITS!
Frida Be You & Me

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:01 am

How is it that when we think something at Burning Man it happens.

On fucking cue even.

food, drink, things, people. special everyone of them. I kinda like to gamble. I do pretty well with my bets as I don't play the house game, I just like to figure the odds....

some of the things that happen at Burning Man defy the odds. It isn't the individual event, it's the timing, placement and other factors that make what happens even more special.

Again I realize another reason I love this place.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am

YEA I LOVE BLACK ROCK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to think it's 'cause we live in a Star that the serendipitous Magic is SOOoooooooo part of The Event!!!

SOOOOO many stories ones I have shared here on different threads.

A couple of my favorites we we leaving the Temple one afternoon; on an Art Car and a Campmate is saying when she gets back to her codo she wants to smudge it NOt 1 Minute LATER a smudge stick hits her in the head-

Kinda mean of me but funny never the less- I think it was 2006 I went in early; sssssSooooo by the time the groups that I camp around got to The Playa my camp had already weathered a weeks worth of Dust and Wind by ITSELF sooooo I thought I was doing pretty goood - considering it looked like a Camp you'd have in a living room when you were 10. I was using different rain flys from different tents to make shade so they were catching air and then deflating (Gyre saw my camp that year).
Anyyyyy wayyyy
so My buddy SteveO says as were standing under his 2 carport camp fastened down on EVERY leg with not one but a couple rebar - "Thats your Camp *laughs* you think its gonna hold??????" I was like weelllll yea- then I went across the street to check on IT. Looking GOOoood I decide.

Just then I turn around to See A DUST DEVIL PICK UP STEVO'S CARPORTS AND TOSS THEM ON THE GROUND!!!!! I ran over to check on everyone and they were ALL fine no one was under the shade at the time (this was a BIG group) We put back up the carports and re hammered the rebar and I didn't say a word.... till about 3 days later when SteveO and I were drinking-
ANd I say it Now to you ALL- Be careful what you say or wish for on the Playa It may hit you in the Head!!

damnfrogs

the gift of giving is...

Post by damnfrogs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:37 pm

the greatest gift i got on the Playa. One year I had bought a gross of tiny 1"x1" tinted, color plastic boxes from T.A.P. plastics. I wasn't sure what to do with them until the box was laying next to an ounce of mendo nugs and it flashed in my brain. I quickly took the tops off the little boxes and filled each one with a "Nug of Love". packed the entire 144 boxes and set off into the night. I would walk up to people often not even being able to see their faces. I would reach for their hand, and give them one box. I would then walk off without ever having exchanged a word, only a smile. 144 times! It would take a few secs to a minute, but I would always hear something akin to "fuckin' aye dude! Thank You!". Hearing their joy and appreciation and knowing that they had confirmation once again that humans are good and kind, compassionate and generous beings...is the greatest gift i ever received at BM!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: the gift of giving is...

Post by ibdave » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm

damnfrogs wrote:the greatest gift i got on the Playa. One year I had bought a gross of tiny 1"x1" tinted, color plastic boxes from T.A.P. plastics. I wasn't sure what to do with them until the box was laying next to an ounce of mendo nugs and it flashed in my brain. I quickly took the tops off the little boxes and filled each one with a "Nug of Love". packed the entire 144 boxes and set off into the night. I would walk up to people often not even being able to see their faces. I would reach for their hand, and give them one box. I would then walk off without ever having exchanged a word, only a smile. 144 times! It would take a few secs to a minute, but I would always hear something akin to "fuckin' aye dude! Thank You!". Hearing their joy and appreciation and knowing that they had confirmation once again that humans are good and kind, compassionate and generous beings...is the greatest gift i ever received at BM!

Sweet..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

timbudtwo

Post by timbudtwo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Barbie wrote:YEA I LOVE BLACK ROCK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to think it's 'cause we live in a Star that the serendipitous Magic is SOOoooooooo part of The Event!!!

SOOOOO many stories ones I have shared here on different threads.

A couple of my favorites we we leaving the Temple one afternoon; on an Art Car and a Campmate is saying when she gets back to her codo she wants to smudge it NOt 1 Minute LATER a smudge stick hits her in the head-

Kinda mean of me but funny never the less- I think it was 2006 I went in early; sssssSooooo by the time the groups that I camp around got to The Playa my camp had already weathered a weeks worth of Dust and Wind by ITSELF sooooo I thought I was doing pretty goood - considering it looked like a Camp you'd have in a living room when you were 10. I was using different rain flys from different tents to make shade so they were catching air and then deflating (Gyre saw my camp that year).
Anyyyyy wayyyy
so My buddy SteveO says as were standing under his 2 carport camp fastened down on EVERY leg with not one but a couple rebar - "Thats your Camp *laughs* you think its gonna hold??????" I was like weelllll yea- then I went across the street to check on IT. Looking GOOoood I decide.

Just then I turn around to See A DUST DEVIL PICK UP STEVO'S CARPORTS AND TOSS THEM ON THE GROUND!!!!! I ran over to check on everyone and they were ALL fine no one was under the shade at the time (this was a BIG group) We put back up the carports and re hammered the rebar and I didn't say a word.... till about 3 days later when SteveO and I were drinking-
ANd I say it Now to you ALL- Be careful what you say or wish for on the Playa It may hit you in the Head!!
Good stories. However, Capslock is cruise control for cool, btw.

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Some of the best gifts I received were the gifts of laughter.

2 stories:

I was once strolling along playing my accordion and I heard a young girl squeal with delight...

"OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!

THEY EVEN HAVE ACCORDIONS HERE!!!!

It took me a while to get my laughter under control.

Another time there was an art car driving around with a bunch of sexy women on top. Every now and then they would stop the truck, grab a megaphone and start performing simulated sex on top of the truck.

Every male (and a good number of women) within a 1/2 mile radius raced to the scene with cameras out.

It was a great photo op... so I yelled out to the women... "CAN I TAKE YOUR PHOTO?" "Sure!!!" they yelled back.

Just then pandemonium broke out.

The girls were BAIT.

The group had guys and gals with stencils and spray paint at the ready and they tagged everyone who was taking photos WITHOUT permission! DIRTY BITCH was the tag.

Just then... I was tagged! "SHIT" this guy says... "sorry pal... you were the only one that asked... but we get into a frenzy".

I thought it was hysterical (and a little embarrassing to be seen with a DIRTY BITCH t-shirt on)... because all day when you saw guys with "DIRTY BITCH" painted on them YOU KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING!

You just had to laugh!
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Here's the story of a gift I gave that I remember.

It was our first year, we were nearly out to the trash fence by the giant red dice. I had a bag of lingerie on the bike, we'd planned on taking it to a costume exchange or boutique later. A group of riders came up on bikes. One poor girl was wearing PVC hot pants ... no panties. She was dying... heat and sore bike ass and plastic scrunching up into all the wrong places. She said, "I wish I had some underwear." Hey! I had underwear, brand new, sexy and in her size! She hopped off her bike and changed right that moment. I was very happy I could help.

That's the good memory, the bad one is this: Not long after they left, we turned to go back toward the city. My back had given me problems in June and now it did this twangy-snap thing. Suddenly, I could no longer ride a bike, for the rest of the week I could barely walk. Larry took the bikes back to camp, I hobbled over to Lush and then to Center Camp. Larry hauled me around in the cart we had for the rest of the week. I've not been able to comfortably sit a bike since then.

haolegolucky
Burning Since: 2005

Post by haolegolucky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Burn night booty with a lovely woman who reminded me of an elf.

:)

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm

haolegolucky wrote:Burn night booty with a lovely woman who reminded me of an elf.

:)
Is this her?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Mom?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:56 pm

don't worry, AntiM.....
we're over on the "stop posting so much" thread, looking for your body........

and other nefarious acts.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="The Bass"]Mensen, are you doing some kind of performance art here?

Portrait of the cranky dude?[/quote]

No. I cannot tell you how many people I know who go to their local clinics on the day after labor day for 1)std's 2)day after pill 3)treatment of antibiotics, just in case. Dust and condoms don't mix well.

Also, if I see one more guy offer my camp X, I am going to throw up. And what is up with these LSD taking white trash hippies? How did they get the cash to come to bm.

If I sound cranky or mean it is because I am mad that my friends are not "holier" than me in that they finally "got" bm (sure, 7 days of mushrooms will do it.) This year is my last year. I am done. $45K for a camp and all I got was pissing burners and aggressive twits grabbing my wife's breasts. What is going on here? Who are these new people that have come in. When I started going the crowds were small and people respectful. Now it is just like going to a soccer game in England where everyone is toasted an aggressive.

If I sound mean I am actually sad at the loss that I see.[/quote]

#1 if u get tired of being offered free "good times" u can just send them my way....we will have none of this abolishing of goodies

#2 there should be more respect towards each other. Im sorry u ran into mean ppl.

my best gift great necklaces made by a fire dancer lady..... i look at the necklace and am brought back to a wonderful place
I have post playa depression :(

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:16 pm

reading this thread I am reminded of what I have read elsewhere: bad things can happen at Burning Man. Being responsible for ones own actions extends to making wise decisions and to not tossing ones self in harms way.

Like any city, if you ignore the danger signs and leave yourself blindly open to trouble (titty grabbing or stds etc), then you up the chances of a bad experience.

Buring Man has the general attitude of goodness working for it. It also has a generally smart and responsinve community. But none of that will completly protect those that fail to protect themselves. It takes both the individual and the community. Some people don't get that.

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Igneouss wrote:reading this thread I am reminded of what I have read elsewhere: bad things can happen at Burning Man. Being responsible for ones own actions extends to making wise decisions and to not tossing ones self in harms way.

Like any city, if you ignore the danger signs and leave yourself blindly open to trouble (titty grabbing or stds etc), then you up the chances of a bad experience.

Buring Man has the general attitude of goodness working for it. It also has a generally smart and responsinve community. But none of that will completly protect those that fail to protect themselves. It takes both the individual and the community. Some people don't get that.
Bleh, you're no fun.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Come by for an absinth this year, but only if you can cope with being wrong :)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 pm

I love absinthe......I'm bringing, and, hoping to make some......
wanna share?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Stories”