Playa Internet Access/Contacting The Outside World

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
zscott57

Playa Internet Access/Contacting The Outside World

Post by zscott57 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:52 pm

I will be attending for the 5th time this year. In the past I have never needed or wanted any contact with the outside world. This year things are different with business and family. Does any one know if you can get a wireless connection on the playa? Is there any other ways to make contact other than taking the bus to Gerlach?

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

Access to the "DeFault World"

Post by JediDale » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Exactly the same thing as people who claim they can't live without cell phones, TV, radio, etc. Perhaps someone can remind me of who said "The most difficult thing for a person to do, is to sit quietly in a room by him(her)self and be at peace."

Genuinely,

Jedi Dale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

Green Wood

Re: Playa Internet Access/Contacting The Outside World

Post by Green Wood » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:44 pm

zscott57 wrote:I will be attending for the 5th time this year. In the past I have never needed or wanted any contact with the outside world. This year things are different with business and family. Does any one know if you can get a wireless connection on the playa? Is there any other ways to make contact other than taking the bus to Gerlach?
Fucking go AWAY!
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

EB
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:49 am

zscott57 wrote:I will be attending for the 5th time this year. In the past I have never needed or wanted any contact with the outside world. This year things are different with business and family. Does any one know if you can get a wireless connection on the playa? Is there any other ways to make contact other than taking the bus to Gerlach?
Couple options:

1.) If you absolutely, positively need to make contact, you need to rent a satellite phone. There's all sorts of different plans.

2.) You can chance the WiFi set up. Some peeps have taken it upon themselves to gift hot spots to the playa. They work fine until somebody decides to download a ginormous file, then all bets are off. Use at your own risk.

3.) Bus into Gerlach. As you know, costs time and money and you have to wait in line to use the payphone. I've read stories where people have had to wait behind reporters uploading files to editors and what not.

4.) Sprint. Last year I got a Sprint signal just before Pyramid Lake. The in-and-out will be more than the bus but at least you won't have to wait in line.

For more info, check out this link:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=9711
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:11 am

this may be a good reason not to go. if you can't set aside the time and have too many commitments, you need to ask yourself why do BM. Yes, rent a satelite phone that can work. Or maybe your family needs you more then you need BM.

My feelings about a family is once you have them your life is basically over and its all about them.

Work? if you can't get away for the whole week then enjoy a few days and go back and open a beer and watch the burn on your computer.

AIIZ

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:04 pm

And also keep in mind, if you can reach the outside world, then the outside world can reach you as well. One of the reasons I go to Burning Man is to make sure the outside world can't reach me. I agree with the assessment that if you have to stay closely in touch, perhaps this year you shouldn't go.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:06 pm

As the outside world rep of this board, I don'twant to hear from you during burn week.

Any of you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:34 pm

BRC is not a prison. Or it wasn't last time I checked. Zscott, that's all I can tell you except you gotta rig it up yourself, just like your tent.

notonmysofa

Post by notonmysofa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Sat. phones work great but are pricey. I've been able to get wi-fi for the past several years, just bring an old laptop and confine it to the tent or car to avoid dust. The closer to Center Camp you are the better connection you'll get, I was able to pick one up from my camp last year at about 5:00 and D. I use it once otr twice at the beginning of the week to let late comers know where we're camped.

EB
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:59 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
this may be a good reason not to go. if you can't set aside the time and have too many commitments, you need to ask yourself why do BM. Yes, rent a satelite phone that can work. Or maybe your family needs you more then you need BM.

My feelings about a family is once you have them your life is basically over and its all about them.

Work? if you can't get away for the whole week then enjoy a few days and go back and open a beer and watch the burn on your computer.

AIIZ
Or maybe he just needs to contact his business/family during the week.

No need to be so self-rightous. The guy may as well have been asking about which spare tire to get for his trailer.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Post by Karma » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Exactly EB !
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Wi Fi is how i've done it, like has been said the closer to center camp the better the odds.

fotografa

Post by fotografa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm

As a photojournalist hoping to file a photo story on a very tight deadline, I'm seeking camps that plan to host hot spots to see if they might assist. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:45 pm

EB wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote:

AIIZ
Or maybe he just needs to contact his business/family during the week.

No need to be so self-rightous. The guy may as well have been asking about which spare tire to get for his trailer.
What me Self-rightous!

But you self-centuous!
fotografa wrote:As a photojournalist hoping to file a photo story on a very tight deadline, I'm seeking camps that plan to host hot spots to see if they might assist. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Look at this shit, see what you start!!!!

Yes, I'm talking about YOU!

I don't think that there should be any WyFi or satelite shit or cellphone shit.

Last thing we need is instant text or video messages on the playa or everyone's going to end up at one place watching one thing and getting overcrowded and on You Tube that night! Fuck You Tube!

YOu walk around and see whats up where you are at!

Oh hey guys get the camp over to 1: 00 sex and intercourse their giving out free molatas! It would ruin the spontineity of the event!

We aready have a guide for the people that need to guided!

AIIZ

But hey what do I know????

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:37 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
fotografa wrote:As a photojournalist hoping to file a photo story on a very tight deadline, I'm seeking camps that plan to host hot spots to see if they might assist. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Look at this shit, see what you start!!!!

Yes, I'm talking about YOU!

I don't think that there should be any WyFi or satelite shit or cellphone shit.

Last thing we need is instant text or video messages on the playa or everyone's going to end up at one place watching one thing and getting overcrowded and on You Tube that night! Fuck You Tube!

AIIZ
Tight deadlline? What, you doing an article on burning man, gotta publish it during the fucking event??!! SHIT.

Yeah. Tell your f***ing publisher if it's that important to commodify you a sat data hookup. Or pay for your own uplink like any other journalist selling images and stories about us or something like this. Can't afford that? Maybe you shouldn't be trying to sell your images and story of BRC during the event. Scoop my ass. Let me uplink some photos of the inside of your home to the world.

By the way - you DO have an llc permit and have contacted Media Mecca... right?? RIGHT??

/rant...
bb

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:50 pm

A most swoon worthy post BBS.

<I>

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:By the way - you DO have an llc permit and have contacted Media Mecca... right?? RIGHT??
re: her linked website
seeing the quality of her work and her client list, that experience makes me think 'yes.'

littlemonkey
Burning Since: 2007

Post by littlemonkey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 am

1.Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:05 am

littlemonkey wrote:1.Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
I'm forwarding this to all my sexual preditor friends.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 pm

Why the issue with those who need to keep "some" parts of their everyday life going? Its not like everyone can take a "vacation" from their lives.
Making it easy for them is one thing but out right berating them for their need to be responsible is childish.

For Internet on the playa:
There are hot spots out there, the closer to center camp the better the chances. If you dont know how to find a hot spot, the internet is a wonderful place to look for that information and there are many free programs you can get to help you out.
A list of locations where Wifi may be found WILL NOT be given to you so dont bother asking, cherish the journey to enlightenment dont make someone do it for you. If you have responsibilities that must be tended to, maybe its not the right time for you to go to the event, if you still choose to go understand the appeal to most is that life on the Playa is nothing like that of the real word and most dont want any part of bringing the real world to the playa. So if you must bring it to the playa treat it like an illegal substance, keep it to yourself.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
OH yaaaa~~~thanks for the forward Fishy. **combs eyebrows**

littlemonkey
Burning Since: 2007

Post by littlemonkey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:42 pm

bdeywoo wrote:For Internet on the playa:
...if you still choose to go understand the appeal to most is that life on the Playa is nothing like that of the real word and most dont want any part of bringing the real world to the playa. So if you must bring it to the playa treat it like an illegal substance, keep it to yourself.
This is getting creepy. Fit into other people's expectations of what the experience should be or hide it? Hide it like people used to have to hide their sexual preferences? Talk about bringing the "real world" to the Playa.
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm forwarding this to all my sexual preditor friends.
And this one. This one implies that wanting a wi-fi connection on the Playa is equivalent to letting sexual predators roam Black Rock City unrestrained. Give me a break.

Looks like Burning Man may be a more extreme environment than I planned on. Guess I better gear up. I wonder if the drugstore sells anything like "Shun Block"?

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
))))))))))))Fishie!!!(((((((((((((

littlemonkey, in response to Crypto's comment, wrote: And this one. This one implies... is equivalent to letting sexual predators roam Black Rock City unrestrained. Give me a break.

Looks like Burning Man may be a more extreme environment than I planned on. Guess I better gear up. I wonder if the drugstore sells anything like "Shun Block"?
You weren't there last year, were you, LM? Extreme doesn't even come close sometimes...

Return to “Stories”