Man burns prematurely on Tuesday morning. Photos.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
bradtem
Burning Since: 1998

Man burns prematurely on Tuesday morning. Photos.

Post by bradtem » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:05 am

To great shock, the Man started burning tonight at the moment the moon went into total eclipse. I have some photos.

There's a rumor of arson, but nothing is confirmed.

http://ideas.4brad.com/news-burning-man-burns-monday

kylie sparks

Post by kylie sparks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 am

What?!? That's really Bizarre!
Was it saved? Or does it have to be put back together?

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:44 am

It was a matter of time.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 am

Reno Gazette-Journal
[quote]
An arson investigation is underway and one person is in custody in relation to a fire that was unexpectedly set to the man early Tuesday at the Burning Man counterculture arts festival, attracting thousands of burners who watched in awe and speculated about how it happened. The official man-burning ceremony is scheduled late Saturday. Crews put out the fire in 23 minutes as staff worked to keep spectators behind a perimeter. The fire was reported at 2:58 a.m. The man was salvaged but singed and the Saturday celebration is still scheduled.

Burners yelled things such as “save the manâ€
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

kylie sparks

Post by kylie sparks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks for posting that!
It's clear here in Reno/Sparks, but a little muggy. HOT!

Piss Clear

Best. Burn Night. Ever.

Post by Piss Clear » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:06 pm

Best. Burn Night. Ever.

Seriously, it was awesome. With the lunar eclipse happening at the same time (a great distraction for a potential arsonist, to be sure) and the spontanaeity of it, it was truly magical.

8/28 Was An Inside Job!
Never Forget!
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:04 pm

See the home page for press info
http://www.burningman.com/news/man_burns07.html

And the Chronicle is reporting Paul Addis of SF was arrested on charges of felony arson & misdemeanor possession of fireworks.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... ARQRFI.DTL

Some piece of work, that little munchkin.

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:09 pm

according to the SF Chron, some guy that looks/acts like Hunter S. Thompson set the Man on fire...how crazy is that? GONZO!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Arrested at Burningman for burning the man. Ironic.

Timing, people, slow it down and you'll last longer.

goldin

alright!!!!!!!

Post by goldin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:55 pm

I only wish I was there to see it, be with it. A Special Burn, seems almost appropriate, somehow.

Is this Participation?

kylie sparks

Post by kylie sparks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Just saw the story on the reno news. He's out on $25,000 bail!
They are asking the BRC guests to help rebuild by Sat!... What an experience ,huh?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 pm

jGreat. Are they making "I went to Burning Man and they took my shade structure timbers to rebuild the man" tee-shirts.

Cut up with a chainsaw. ha!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

Now note the weather!

Post by JediDale » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Here in Reno the weather is getting cloudy and it is raining in some areas.
This may be the strangest Burn yet! It would be ironic if the Man wouldn't ignite due to heavy rain! Has anyone researched to see if Paul Addis is a
"BushBot"? "Dubya" in Reno is like having the Evil Emperor in your town!! HA! HA!

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

Luna Noir

Re: Now note the weather!

Post by Luna Noir » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:02 pm

JediDale wrote:This may be the strangest Burn yet!
I'd like to smuggle in and erect a replacement Man early Sunday

BM2007 = Zombie Man

Burned twice and he's back for more!

... as it is, he'll just be "Refried Man"
~:~

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Luna Noir wrote:
JediDale wrote:This may be the strangest Burn yet!
I'd like to smuggle in and erect a replacement Man early Sunday

BM2007 = Zombie Man

Burned twice and he's back for more!

... as it is, he'll just be "Refried Man"
So in effect, the man is being recycled...in keeping with the theme...I smell a conspiracy.
It's what you make it.

mayavin

Post by mayavin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 pm

HughMungus wrote: So in effect, the man is being recycled...in keeping with the theme...I smell a conspiracy.
i was almost sure they were calling that an art form by now...
sphera spinning circa gradually midst photon shaft grazing electron soo flit while neutron's gazing

Lenstar

Post by Lenstar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:48 pm

I was there in 2005 & 2006. I'm from Ireland and it's the most amazing place I have ever visited. Maybe it was a matter of time that that happened but stil it's shocking and utterly disgracefull. I'm sorry for all those who had to withness ones mans action. Hopefully he'll get plenty of jail time.
All i want is to play at the burning man

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am

What annoys me the most are the flippant comments like "Why are they complaining about radical expression at a radical expression event," or "So what? They're gonna burn it anyway"...

My immediate thought is that in 2005 there was a three-story structure including a maze at the bottom, and if some jackass had started a fire there could have been substantial and horrific injury or loss of life if those people had gotten trapped.

This kind of bullshit is exactly WHY folks like the BMORG have to become a Limited Liability Corporation, charge admission and impose rules. When people bitch about the LLC, maybe somebody will remind them that it's because of selfish or plain stupid people who come along and fuck it up for the responsible people. We can read the back of the ticket all we want but that doesn't give somebody permission to risk our lives by committing arson or destroying other people's stuff. And unfortunately we already know of instances where family has lawyered up and sued because their adult offspring did something irresponsible and died there.

Even if the idea is cool in principle, the folks who are applauding this guy sound myopic and intellectually retarded. If Burning Man pisses them off so much, there are a whole shitload of other things in the world they can do that doesn't involve risking other people's lives or expecting them to clean up some selfish pinhead's mess.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I still think BMORG was behind it! :wink:

B. (okay, I am just weird!)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

sun4all

ZaphodBurner is right on target!

Post by sun4all » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Burning down someone else's art and endangering people's lives in the process has nothing to do with radical expression. It has everything to do with stupid, reckless, self-centered behavior. BMORG needs to come down hard on people that do this type of F-ed up stuff at Burning Man. I hope they sue him for damages; the jackass is a former lawyer, go figure.

I have some friends who thought what this guy did was funny. These friends ARE myopic and have issues with authority. My advice to them: If you don't like how BM is run either help out or shut up and stay away from Burning Man.

This guy's actions put will put Burning Man under even more scrutiny by the authorities which the event really does not need. I hope all the other self-centered twits out there that are thinking about doing something like this at BM will now be thinking twice.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Ya know, part of me knows that this was terrible and fucked up, but the other part can't help but be really really amused by it. Yeah, a whole lotta people pay a whole lotta money to go out to Burning Man, but the event is NOT ABOUT BURNING THE MAN! It's about going out and having fun and interacting in a community that's completely and utterly removed from the society you're used to. Yeah, I know that someone could have gotten hurt, and if they had then this might be less funny, but no one did get hurt, and someone made one hell of a statement. Whether you agree with that statement or not, it's nice to at least see someone making one.

Last year myself and a handful of the veteran burners in my camp had a Fuck the Man party. We hung out at camp, got drunk, and didn't go watch the man burn. In the immortal words of founding father of the party, "A lot of fire dancers you can't see dance around for a really long time, the man ignites, fireworks go off, he falls down, and a bunch of kids on drugs run around in a circle. I've seen it." We didn't try and stop anyone else from going or suggest that it was dumb to go... we just wanted to have a goofy fun protest. The amount of animosity that came flying at us from other burners (many of whom were our friends and campmates) was ridiculous. We got accused of being yahoos and "not understanding the true spirit of Burning Man." I say, fuck all that shit.
Burning Man is not just about burning the man. What we did hurt no one, and impeded on no one's good time.

I say, thank god someone broke up the monotony of the structured underground Disneyland setting. I love Burning Man, and the only reason I'm not there this year is because my tuition wiped out my finances, but let's stop getting so worked up over something that's actually pretty awesome. You can call me an asshole for supporting him, but I say Way to Go Addis! At least everyone's gonna have shit to talk about for years to come. And you know what? I bet the burn is even bigger and more exciting for everyone this year because so many people worked so hard to rebuild the man. It'll be kind of ironic.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:49 pm

All I can say is ......

WOW!

:shock:
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:25 pm

the guy made bail the next day and was gone.. he will most likely be a failure to appear.. that will be as far as it go s..

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm with Jezebel. I was out there, and the energy and the excitement were amazing when he burned. The whole city was just streaming towards him, screaming and yelling, and it took the whole thing from being Disneyland to being something unexpected and wonderful (and, yes, dangerous and stupid). The timing was brilliant, and it really made for a different feel to the event this year.

Tuesday and Weds nights were incredibly different- there was no corporate brand looming over the city, and you had to find new landmarks to travel by. It felt like it was truly about the city itself and not just a bunch of cool stuff surrounding the Man.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 pm

Eric -- Did Piss Clear cover the rebuilding of the Man, or were you ever a newspaper that was worth a shit?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Bob wrote:Eric -- Did Piss Clear cover the rebuilding of the Man, or were you ever a newspaper that was worth a shit?
Nah, we were never worth a shit Bob. I mean, how could we ever be up to the standards of someone as intelligent and witty as yourself?

Besides, 45,000 copies disappearing into peoples hands in a week is pretty much proof we're crap, isn't it?
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:36 pm

<ahem>

Did Piss Clear cover the rebuilding of the Man? Even as a satire? Was it so boring to you?

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:08 am

Bob wrote:<ahem>

Did Piss Clear cover the rebuilding of the Man? Even as a satire? Was it so boring to you?
It was in Wednesday's issue ... Malderor wrote a rant that touched on it.

http://www.pissclear.org/PDFArchives/Pi ... t_2007.pdf
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:38 am

piss clear is moop.. it s for drama queens and newbes.. glad to see it down the shiter.. waste of good paper..

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:18 am

Piss Clear, Jon Stewart, the Onion... Humor mixed with news, news mixed with humor, to varying degrees....

Everything is MOOP, eventually.

Only entropy endures.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Return to “Stories”