Any BLM Citation Stories?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Ingram

Any BLM Citation Stories?

Post by Ingram » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Every year, we hear of BLM undercover officers tricking and entrapping
attendees and issuing $525 citations for substance possession.
Did anyone else witness this, or have it happen in their camp?

Batmoose

Post by Batmoose » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:04 pm

I definitely witnessed some shady action.

Either there were a WHOLE bunch of newcomers who really, really did not know how to go about certain things, or there are a bunch of really stupid undercover agents.

One example. -

Out of the blue, a cute little thing in a black bikini rides into our blaring loud camp at around dusk and just asks straight out for some "nighttime enhancements" and offers money.

Trades were offered in lieu of cash, but she kept on the cash thing, to me and my wife's suspicion.

I witnessed quite a few of these kinds of attempted but clumsy transactions.
"Rhythm is both a song's manacle, and it's Demonic charge."

ubu

Post by ubu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:07 pm

where is brlover when you need him?

Ingram, sounds like you'all got busted. tell about it?
ta epi ta

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Batmoose wrote:Either there were a WHOLE bunch of newcomers who really, really did not know how to go about certain things, or there are a bunch of really stupid undercover agents.
I'd go with the stupid newbies. Remember, the undercover cops have been going longer than you and have better costumes & artcars. They are anything but stupid (outside BRC going undercover can get you killed.) The LEO's are doing their job, and whether we like it or not local & federal laws still apply in Black Rock City- even if we like to pretend they don't.

Basic suggestion: don't offer "anything" to anyone except people you know & trust.

If you were "tricked" or "entrapped" blame yourself for pretending BRC exists outside the law. I know plenty of people who played quite safely & intelligently, and didn't receive a single citation.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Batmoose

Post by Batmoose » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 pm

[quote]f you were "tricked" or "entrapped" blame yourself for pretending BRC exists outside the law. I know plenty of people who played quite safely & intelligently, and didn't receive a single citation.[/quote]

My thoughts on the subject exactly, but I know my gut also, and a few folks I saw were not Kosher.

Meantime, stupid is as stupid does. :wink:

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:26 am

I know someone who was out on the playa by the back of an art car that decided to spark one up with a few friends. 4 Rangers said they watched him from start to finish by taking it out of his backpack, spark it, pass it around the group, and they busted him. I saw the whole thing going down but didn't realize I knew the guy. It was pretty dark where they were but I swear I saw a guy from their circle walk over to where I saw the rangers parked. They came over and cuffed him and cited him for smoking pot...they let everyone else go though which was kind of a blow to him because it was like the musical doobie, bust where the joint stops.

Oddly I was aware of the whole situation because I was standing alone in the dark and wanting a little puff because I wasn't feeling to hot. I was 100% sober. I had stepped into the darkness and felt that I was being watched so I stopped...I looked around the playa and said "this is pretty stupid to be standing out here doing this" so I decided against it. I went and sat back in the artcar in solitude and thought I might be better off doing it here. I pulled my big hood over my head and got ready but again...being wise (can't really say that involving taking drugs) or paranoid I guess is the way to put it, I peeked out and looked at the surroundings. There they were! My spidey senses were right! I could see in the distance that 2 atv's had pulled up and an SUV around 12'oclock, I peered back and saw another. Shit! They were out there in force but I couldn't see them right away. Thank God I hadn't had any cocktails and I rarely smoke, I just wanted something to calm my stomach that night.

Anyway, that is when I left the car and walked in to crowd getting ready to watch the fireworks and burn. That is how I saw everything unfold. I kept watching to see if anyone might be coming for me. I saw the rangers walking over to the area from which I had come but they were set on going to the area beyond me. I had caught a faint whif of pot in the air as I left my area, that is why I looked back to see where it was coming from. I then saw a guy walk from that group to over where the Rangers were...this is why I don't believe they actually saw him take it from his backpack. I believe the guy was an informer that was in the group and saw everything and let his boys know exactly what went down. They may have been watching them too with night vision but the cops didn't say that, they only said binoculars. It really doesn't matter I guess but I think they were looking to bust for possession, why else wouldn't they detain the other 4 people? I know it's the law but it still sucks for him. It wasn't even his, he was just the unlucky guy to light it...there wasn't anything left by the time the cops got there.

shikantaza

Post by shikantaza » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:11 am

We had a guy in our camp lose his contact lense, quickly find it, then stick it in his mouth to clean it. Whoosh, in came a cop or BLM agent or whoever it was and loudly demanded to know what he just stuck in his mouth.

So my friend opened his mouth, took out the contact lense, and showed him. I wish I had been there to see the look on his face.

VikingNomad

Post by VikingNomad » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:34 am

They were out there and pretty much looking for stupid people to entrap. At one point I'm standing by a couple of art cars with thumping techno music and flame throwers. I have this 'couple' come up to me and a buddy and ask "Do you know anyone who has some mushrooms, ex, acid, or any psychadelics." It was like hearing a record needle scratch and then silence.

I take a clear look at this couple, and I see that they look like the cleanest hippies in the entire world. I've lived on Haight Street in SF and this guy had long hair, but a hippie, no way. They were also as sober as could be and not carrying even a beer. Besides, I haven't heard anyone use the term 'psychadelics' in common conversation. All my flags went off. Not that I had anything to gift that he was looking for, but it still set off a big red flag. So, I said, "Nope, sorry.", and they quickly darted off.

About five seconds later I see a police vehicle go past that was waiting there and pointed at us when this couple was asking if we knew anyone with drugs. Most people don't know that most / many police cars have this horn on the front end that also acts as a shotgun microphone and can record a conversation a block away. I'm pretty sure that's what was going on.

Keep in mind that the entrapment line is a fine line. A cop can go door-to-door asking if you know someone who has drugs. That's considered doing an investigation. Which is very different than an undercover cop asking you directly to sell them drugs.

I did hear of a couple of folks who got busted around 9:00 by the BLM and got tickets. You can't come to the playa and stick your head up your butt and think you're really on another planet where the cops don't exist. It seems to me that Burning Man, the BLM, and Sheriffs departmenrt have come to a comfortable agreement. One where they aren't going to be Nazi's and K-9 every car coming in, but they aren't going to play a bunch of idiots either and ignore someone who is being obvious and conduct some operations to flush out idiots.

I think the best approach if you're going to bring something to Burning Man that you can be busted for is, be careful, be aware, and have some respect for the cops out there and don't be obvious. If they really wanted to be a pain in your ass and rack up busts, they have a lot of options that they're being cool about, and opting not to use. Say hi, be friendly, be discreet, and don't give them problems and they probably won't give you any.

Batmoose

Post by Batmoose » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:47 am

That was a great post viking. I do indeed hope I can meet you and shake your hand next year.

stew

Post by stew » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:57 am

Batmoose wrote:I definitely witnessed some shady action.

Either there were a WHOLE bunch of newcomers who really, really did not know how to go about certain things, or there are a bunch of really stupid undercover agents.

One example. -

Out of the blue, a cute little thing in a black bikini rides into our blaring loud camp at around dusk and just asks straight out for some "nighttime enhancements" and offers money.
We had something similar. A cute topeless girl coming to our camp on her bike, asking if we had any psychedelics (using that word). Red flag! Too bad, she was really cute.

--Ever--
Burning Since: 2003

Post by --Ever-- » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Batmoose wrote:Trades were offered in lieu of cash, but she kept on the cash thing, to me and my wife's suspicion.
Is it not considered "selling an illegal substance" if instead of cash, something like, say, a box of glowsticks is traded? 8)
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.

Batmoose

Post by Batmoose » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Depending on the various laws that apply, trading or "gifting" can also be used against you when dealing with controlled substances. But they want to catch you "dealing" so cash is preferred.

But considering the situation, the girl's whole approach was very suspect, and she did not seem to actually want what she was asking for, she was much too focused on the transaction end of things to be truely on the hunt in an innocent way.

bottom line people, is trust your instincts, keep everything on the down low, and do not draw undue attention to yourself.

That last part was where our camp went wrong, and why I believe we were targets.

This is one of the reasons I felt it prudent to pack up and leave.

ubu

Post by ubu » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 pm

"marijuana is a gateway drug." Mom was right.

It is a gateway for the cops into your campsite and/or tent. Don't smoke on the playa.

Or join neighborhood cop watch and keep the cops out of your camping area/neighborhood.

stay paranoid.
ta epi ta

Lukky

Post by Lukky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:21 pm

There was some pretty sketchy shit going on, I was extremely paranoid so if anyone I didn't know came up to me and offered anything I played the good boy scout.

"I never touch the stuff..." :lol:

Aze

Post by Aze » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:43 pm

It felt to me like law enforcement was more undercover this year than in previous years. Last year I saw lots of white golf carts with no decorations and uniformed cops cruising around, but this year the white golf carts had cheesy incomplete decorations like an EL-wire Man on the top, and the officers riding in them had stereotypical raver outfits like a dr-seuss hat.

It's still fairly easy to tell the cops from the real art cars... the DMV requires art cars to be completely decorated while the LEOs only partially decorated their golf carts.

When I would pull my neon orange cigarette butt container out of my pocket and unscrew it, I would notice undercover LEOs turning their heads and checking me out. Outside the thunderdome there was a short vaguely runtlike guy in black and a black tophat that I'm fairly sure was a narc... he came up and stood right behind me when there was plenty of space to the sides of me. I'm guessing he was smelling me. When I turned around he scurried away.

I had a couple of experiences where I was about to smoke some herb out on the open playa and then decided not to, only to find LEOs nearby soon after.

The one time I was actually walking and smoking herb on the open playa, two LEOs crossed my path on 4 wheelers. The wind was luckily blowing the other way so they didn't get a whiff, but that was too close for me... if the wind were blowing the other way I could have gotten busted.

After that I ended up not smoking on the open playa at all... just too risky.

You can't smoke in the portapotties because they are patrolled. I think the safest place to smoke is in a private tent or RV (located away from the road so it can't be smelled by patrollers). When I was out and about, I would sometimes find an abandoned camp area and smoke there, while walking through... makes it harder for the LEOs to sneak up on you.

If you're looking to have fun with the LEOs, I would think it would be fun to pantomime boldly taking drugs in public. Of course you woud do that only when you didn't have anything in your posession. It would be a fun experiment to see what percentage of the time you get approached by LEOs.

Aze

Post by Aze » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 pm

It felt to me like law enforcement was more undercover this year than in previous years. Last year I saw lots of white golf carts with no decorations and uniformed cops cruising around, but this year the white golf carts had cheesy incomplete decorations like an EL-wire Man on the top, and the officers riding in them had stereotypical raver outfits like a dr-seuss hat.

It's still fairly easy to tell the cops from the real art cars... the DMV requires art cars to be completely decorated while the LEOs only partially decorated their golf carts.

When I would pull my neon orange cigarette butt container out of my pocket and unscrew it, I would notice undercover LEOs turning their heads and checking me out. Outside the thunderdome there was a short vaguely runtlike guy in black and a black tophat that I'm fairly sure was a narc... he came up and stood right behind me when there was plenty of space to the sides of me. I'm guessing he was smelling me. When I turned around he scurried away.

I had a couple of experiences where I was about to smoke some herb out on the open playa and then decided not to, only to find LEOs nearby soon after.

The one time I was actually walking and smoking herb on the open playa, two LEOs crossed my path on 4 wheelers. The wind was luckily blowing the other way so they didn't get a whiff, but that was too close for me... if the wind were blowing the other way I could have gotten busted.

After that I ended up not smoking on the open playa at all... just too risky.

You can't smoke in the portapotties because they are patrolled. I think the safest place to smoke is in a private tent or RV (located away from the road so it can't be smelled by patrollers). When I was out and about, I would sometimes find an abandoned camp area and smoke there, while walking through... makes it harder for the LEOs to sneak up on you.

If you're looking to have fun with the LEOs, I would think it would be fun to pantomime boldly taking drugs in public. Of course you woud do that only when you didn't have anything in your posession. It would be a fun experiment to see what percentage of the time you get approached by LEOs.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:06 am

Ugh! Just lay off the drugs hippies!

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I got my 1st ticket in 12 years on the Playa...it was bound to happen.

It was for $525.00

Fuck BLM and their fucking retarded rangers.

Did you know they imported MORE rangers in for the weekend ?? The chick that busted me was a 1st timer from Utah. The other guys were from Colorado and farther East. I guess BLM needed some extra cash even though NO money goes back into NEVADA or the PLAYA or ANY COUNTY that borders the Playa. It goes to a "Rainy Day Fund" that the BLM has.

somekind

Post by somekind » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:10 pm

this 5h1t sucks. I was rocking out at the opulent temple and while I was putting in my earplugs a ranger stopped right in front of me and checked out my hands. I was twisting up the earplug. When he saw me put it in I said loudly "Earplugs!!". "good luck.". Maybe he thought I was another narc. Those jerks.

BTW, does wearing earplugs make one look like a narc?
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

barnz

Post by barnz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:39 am

somekind wrote:BTW, does wearing earplugs make one look like a narc?
No, it's probably the dress socks with tennis shoes. . . :lol:

FairyRebel

Post by FairyRebel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:51 am

I suppose I'm lucky for only receiving this citation:

Of course, my friend had to suggest that I take care of my "fine" on the spot, so I was given several spankings. The last one left a bruise and several welts on my backside which were still recognizable as a hand print 6 days later.

Ingram

Options

Post by Ingram » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Citation recipients do have the options of hiring
an attorney in Reno, or appearing to fight the
ticket there (if BLM officers are from out of state,
they may be less likely to travel hundreds of miles
to appear on a mere citation). Having a ticket
dismissed can be a career-saver in the future,
particularly if you are offered a sensitive position
or become involved in politics. There were a couple
cases that were fought and were dismissed by the
federal prosecutor in Reno a couple years ago
(one recipient was an attorney, and they used an
entrapment defense).

ubu

Post by ubu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:23 pm

there was some discussion a few years ago about the significance of paying the citation given the fact that no appearance before a judge is made. In essence, these citations, when paid are no conviction, and can essentially be treated as a neurological speeding ticket.
ymmv. if in a "sensitive position" you can still truthfully claim that you have never been convicted of even a misdemeanor if this is your only "drug bust." check with your lawyer if you run for president.

These citations are perfectly at the "money point. " The optimal place at which the victim will pay the fine without contest, but cough up enough dough to cover the cost of the paperwork and downtime and then some.

You have been measured, quantifed, computed and the probability of your just paying the fine is built into the 'price' of the citation. price is information, as herr hayek says.
and the money falls into the black hole of the running national deficit. Ranger rick gets no benefit other than the knowledge of a "job well done" and a record of a successful drug interdiction.

Welcome to a meaningless gesture from a moribund enforcement arm of a nation completely confused. bend over and pay your fine.
ta epi ta

Ingram

Consider These Descriptions

Post by Ingram » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Thread link, to concerns about the effect a BLM citation will have
(on the career of an educational professional, who may now
have to forgo the results of years of her efforts and training):

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=22024

Additional Accounts of BLM Actions at Burning Man 2007:

http://bm.tribe.net/thread/89528123-804 ... dd0ae5bc84

Question: Why can't these law enforcement officials take action against
the most widely-reported crimes described by BM participants
(such as setting up "sting" operations, to combat the wave of bicycle thefts),
instead of targeting "victimless" crimes (such as mere THC consumers)?

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Because, sad to say, the United States government is still too stubborn to admit that it's War On Drugs is an outdated antiquity emblematic of more paranoid, less educated times. It was (is) a quick fix solution which did not fix anything.
Or maybe it's just a cash cow. Who knows.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Dark Star

Post by Dark Star » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Next year I'm tempted to do my own form of performance art by walking around with a bag and asking random people "do you need an E". I'll specifically say "an E". If they ask I'll tell them the E's are $15. When the transaction is made I'll reach in to my bag and pull out something wrapped in tissue. Inside will be a plastic letter E. Hopefully my game can reveal who is undercover. It could be an amusing game.

Aze

Post by Aze » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm

If the teacher is concerned about what will go on her record check out the research I posted last year:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... &start=198

The short story is that it will be on your record but in a paper form that can't be found by electronic searches unless you tell them about it. Most applications for public school jobs will ask you to disclose pleas of nolo contendere, which is that you automatically plead when you pay the ticket. So technically you are required to disclose it on the job app, but there doesn't seem to be any way for them to find out if you don't disclose.

Remark
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Remark » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Inside will be a plastic letter E. Hopefully my game can reveal who is undercover. It could be an amusing game.
Dark Star - fill a spray bottle with your "E" and run really fast up to LEO. They will laugh and laugh about being sprayed with "E" (the plastic kind of course).

That would be an amusing game.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:47 pm

I would be leary about running up to an officer and spraying him with an unknown liquid.

If he is in a bad mood, you are arrested for assault, Also if a record is entered into a court, you will be in the system - no doubt about it.

get an attorney if you wish to beat the rap.

later

Remark
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Remark » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 am

I would be leary about running up to an officer and spraying him with an unknown liquid.
.....Duh!

Return to “Stories”