How did you rate the Green Pavillon!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

I rate the green pavillon as...

Low score: 0-2
19%
Low score: 0-2
19%
Mid Score: 3-6
3%
Mid Score: 3-6
3%
MId Score: 7-10
3%
MId Score: 7-10
3%
or as a statement: Are you kidding me- it sucked a total sell out!
8%
or as a statement: Are you kidding me- it sucked a total sell out!
8%
I could see the intent as good and not a total sellout of BM!
1%
I could see the intent as good and not a total sellout of BM!
1%
This is the wrong direction lets get back to BM basics!
15%
This is the wrong direction lets get back to BM basics!
15%

Total votes: 88

Apollonaris Zeus

How did you rate the Green Pavillon!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm

I didn't make this year, but you did!

What's your scorecard on the Green Pavillon- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!

You can refine your score and explain!!!

Can it be done in the future as a better interactive art form!

Please no bashing just good advice for the future of BM!

AIIZ

PS- Don't make an Addis out of yourself!

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Pathetic, Pathetic, Pathetic. The only art was the installation of several fake tree trunks and the recorded sound of water. Artistically, I could have done better with my limited experience, budget and intervening day-job. Seriously. As for the trade show, it was hardly ever open. Yeah the Pre-Burn had something to do with that, but it just looked desolate and empty. A sad dusty black car looking like it was tossed from the showroom floor by a depression-era dustbowl storm. I wanted to visit the trade show in order to truely assess it, but it was so freakin lame, I couldn't be bothered. Just a complete 180 degree in the wrong direction of the Man's zenith of creativity in 2005.

I hope the companies that installed beneath the Pavillion will spread the word that other companies should not bother coming.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:32 pm

That bad! That is sad!

How were the displays set up?

Were they on or off for most of the time?

Can you describe some of them?

AIIZ

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:55 pm

If previous Burning Man pavilions have been like the Exploratorium (interactivity, art, fun), then this was like the most boring science museum/trade show you've ever been to -- no interactivity, WAY too many plaques to read, and that black electric car just looked BAD and out of place.

A total disgrace. With all the pre-event backlash, I was really hoping they'd redeem themselves. They failed, miserably.

This is based on what I saw on Monday, a few hours before the Man burned. Frankly, I'm glad the Pavilion was closed for much of the week. It was LAAAAAAAAAME.
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:05 pm

<soapbox>
Not worthy of the pre-hype
</soapbox>
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

ScottV

Post by ScottV » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 pm

There was far more practical alternative systems in the city.
Human powered trucks, wind generators in camps, Bright LEDs running from miniscule batteries, solar panels charging camera batteries, showers (how many people in the default world actually use only 3 gallons of water for a shower sufficient to get clean?), etc.

The Pavilion promoted the same industry standard "alternative energy" that are advertised through mass media.
Wasn't anything new or breakthrough . . . "for only $50,000 you too can be green", "to be in with the cool crowd buy a hybrid" (not use less energy and resources by buying a smaller car - get one bigger and heavier that costs twice as much, uses more resources to build, pollutes more in its manufacturing, and won't last as long, but you're cool green if you buy it), "It's okay to release carbon into the atmosphere if you pay someone to plant a tree" (WTF?)

But ignore all of the above.
Now Burning Man is a "socially responsible" "art festival".
And that makes "the man" happy.

Outside of the corporate center was great. Lot's of art trees, some interactive, but mostly supplanted by the cheesy exploratorium that dominated the space under the man.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 am

I never made it out there...

But I heard it was really hot!

Especially about 3:30 or so Tuesday morning.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:16 am

It looked like an environmental science museum set up by 6th graders to me. Lots of posterboards telling you about the environment and recycling. Lame.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:42 am

A friend of mine who has experience working at the Exploratorium said pretty much the same thing. Said person didn't want to say anything because of the belief that folks displaying there would take it as a lecture on how to do it right.

You just have to let people make their own mistakes and hope they learn from them.

My own take was that it was very non-interactive and more than a bit static which is what the Man base area has traditionally never been. It felt awkward and very much like a small town fair - for all the wrong reasons. Not sure there's anything to learn from it as I can't imagine a set up like thhat happening again.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Badger wrote:Not sure there's anything to learn from it as I can't imagine a set up like thhat happening again.
I certainly hope you're right on this. I'd like to see a return to the interactive bases of the past couple of years...in particular I loved the energy and creativity they displayed over this year's design.

Speaking of the bases what did they end up doing with the huge charred and smouldering tree trunks that were used to hold up the man?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:17 am

Bonfire.

As usual, I didn't make it into the man base.
I did get out there for a wedding.
There was a beautiful girl in a gown towing a tree across the playa.
She said she wanted it to be with it's friends.
A nice image, like something out of mythology.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:45 pm

What Homer Says:

"BORING!"
ROBOTS UNITE

barnz

Post by barnz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Piss Clear wrote: It was LAAAAAAAAAME.
Holy Shit Batman, Adrian thought something was lame! STOP THE PRESSES! oh wait, the presses have stopped. Never mind. :D :D

Actually I have no idea, I didn't go either. I was aware of the pre-event controversy, but didn't make a judgment either way. Then when the time came, I just wasn't moved to go check it out. I wasn't even sure if anything was rebuilt after the unscheduled burn...

I *did* say a few months ago that 2008 would be the year the event goes green(er) after we all had some time to think about it, rebel against it, and then check out what other people were doing in 2007. We will see.

There was one friend of mine who founded a greening company, spends all of his time making people's regular life more green (you may have seen him on the Ellen show) and he was so pissed off about the "green man theme" that his principal interest in art this year was trying to get someone to help him start a big tire fire... :twisted:
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 am

I will say that I was very much looking forward to seeing what was out there...and alas I didnt get out there till Friday...to much dissapointment.
Yes i have 2 kids...and yes, it looked very much like all the science fairs of 6th graders to me.
Im not putting down the efforts of the people who built it and filled it with eco idea's...Just that yes...major trade show stuff. Didnt go there again, except to spin fire sat night.
Maybe they should have brought the trade show down on friday morning then we could have realished in the wonderful simplicity that is the MAN!

Strange thing, on eco friendly products, appliances etc....for making your home more green...why the hell are these recycled products and waste eliminating products to make our world better so damn fricken expensive?
We just bought a house, and I would so love to make alot of things more eco friendly By Choice mind you...but who the heck can afford a recycled deck over a red wood deck...

The boards made from recycled grocerie store bags are outragious!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:32 am

pinemom, they are only looking for a place to dump used plastic.. you new home would be perfect for that <:)

CaptainObvious

Post by CaptainObvious » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 pm

I will be interested to see if the response to this question grows... I just know that sometime in the future someone will bring up that 81% of people responded negatively towards the Green Man pavillion. That is from 34 total votes from 369 views of the topic. To break it down to ridiculous levels - 34 votes represents less than about .008 percent of the population of BRC this year. I am not saying that the question isn't valid - I believe it is - but the level of response makes it a moot point showing that the people on eplaya could give two shits one way or another about it. THAT, IMHO, tells us more than the poll does....
"Well Thank You CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!"

"Ahem... Your Welcome!!"

Reddclover

Post by Reddclover » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Very disappointing.
Just could not compare to the intrigue of previous years pavillions.
Rumors Ive heard , say "IT was all for our PReBUrn BUrn."
A set up, to celebrate BM 20 years that nothing happened last year, so they could surprise us with it this year,2 burns in one year. Seeing that the pavillion was so minimized this year Its easy to believe it was for that purpose. And finding that there were only 2 rangers on duty at the time, My question to make an informed decision, was anyone under it when Shmucko burned the man?
email me at Wldstatys@aol.com

lizb

Post by lizb » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Chose not to go but I did enjoy some of the trees outside, esp. the seesaw tree.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:52 pm

The exhibitors were very nice and helpful and patient, but, yeah, it was pretty lame.

As said above, science fair amatuer hour. I half-expected to see a volcano running on baking soda.

BRING BACK THE FUNHOUSE MAZE!!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:32 pm

I didn't cast a vote because I didn't really 'see' it. I walked by after midnight Tueday night/Wed. morning after my temple shift. It was roped off. The car looked totally out of place, but I liked the art pieces/trees that were surrounding the pavillion.
Medicated and Motivated!

Xhile

Post by Xhile » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Didn't go.

It sounds like whoever was organising it should have communicated that 'interactive' stuff is what people want. But then would that be dictating what other people bring as their BM contribution?

Maybe if those same exhibitors came back next year they'd have a much better ideo of what BM is about, and produce some cool stuff.

As someone's pointed out above, i wonder how much most BM people care about being green? Maybe we are just all about hedonism, and we'll think about the planet later. When we're dying.
meh.

Tristan

Post by Tristan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:34 am

the green pavillon?

where was it? must be another art installation that i missed. but whoever made this poll forgot to include the choice "i did not see it".
-- Tristan - http://www.playa-dust.com

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I got Adrian's report on Tues (after the PreBurn), so I never even bothered going near it.

The Temple, the Monkeys & Crude Awakening were all amazing, and much more interesting than a trade show.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Maybe we are just all about hedonism, and we'll think about the planet later.
I'm not really sure it had anything to do with people not caring about the issue as much as I think most people (that I talked to at least) felt there was a real disconnect between the burning and destruction, fire and cacophony and the attempt to include (incorporate?) an idea/theme that's pretty much anathema to what the event is in very real and visceral terms.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Return to “Stories”