Go peds brc needs to ban them Now

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
meatball

Go peds brc needs to ban them Now

Post by meatball » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:33 pm

/rant
after almost getting run over twice and the ass hat that would speed by
two times a day.

i think it's about time to ban them from BRC
what do you think /rant off
i push teh button

aka Muppet

kikidelosfeliz

Post by kikidelosfeliz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:40 pm

That would get rid of the annoying mosquito-on-steroid sounds they make. Or ban all two-stroke engines.

And then on to the megaphones...

But then maybe it's all part of radical acceptance. Ultimately, I grew kindof fond of the incessant thumpa-thumpa. It was like the playa heartbeat.
cognitive dissident

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:49 pm

:lol:
after almost getting run over twice and the ass hat that would speed by two times a day.
You must have stayed in camp a lot. I don't know how many bike riders LOL, bumped me in the daylight hours this year.
what do you think
Haven't they banned enough from the playa already?

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:52 pm

goathead wrote:Haven't they banned enough from the playa already?
Not until go-peds and megaphones are banned

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 pm

But we are going to need the megaphones once the playa has cell service.
:twisted:

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:34 pm

goathead wrote:
But we are going to need the megaphones once the playa has cell service.
:twisted:
So True

fog horns are next

should all combustion engines too, but then that will mean every camp will have a generator to recharge the batteries.

AIIZ

goathead

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:27 pm

So True

fog horns are next
I want the light that goes with it too.
Wonder if they have an LED version?

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:38 pm

I was wondering when this idea would resurface, it's the I don't like something so I'm going to ask the powers that be to ban it for everybody! It's my way or no way.

How about banning your closed minded attitude from coming back to BRC?

I saw a lot, and I mean a LOT of stupid ass scooter rider behavior on the playa this year. Bike tires being rode over and bent, unmuffled scooters, unlit scooters at night, and on and on it goes. Rather than bitch about it and call for a stupidity ban, I think a better approach would be to work with the senior staff on re-writing the scooter section of the main website and survival guide to address the questionable behaviors, then work towards getting that survival guide out to the participants in such a way that it's truly read. There are posts all over the various boards that says a bunch of people didn't read the guide or much of anything. So in short what we have here is an education problem....one that is fixable and can be flexible...unlike any outright ban. </soapbox>
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Kin, good to see you here.

I say ban all those who do it their way!

"Stop Sinatrism!"

Tiara

Scooters are motorized vehicles

Post by Tiara » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:15 pm

I'd be all for categorizing motorized scooters/mopeds with other motorized vehicles, and requiring that they be registered transpo for handicapped people, or mutated enough to be considered art cars.

barnz

Re: Scooters are motorized vehicles

Post by barnz » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Tiara wrote:I'd be all for categorizing motorized scooters/mopeds with other motorized vehicles, and requiring that they be registered transpo for handicapped people, or mutated enough to be considered art cars.
This sounds workable for me - and is less "let's ban more stuff we don't like" and more "let's eliminate a loophole in existing standards."

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:56 pm

I have a hard time saying "let's ban them", but in '01 I had a weed-eater motor on my bike, and the DMV people stopped me and said I couldn't ride it. I did anyway, since they were fine with the motor scooter that buzzed by faster and louder.

I don't see the difference between the motor scooters and any other powered "mutant vehicle", so I'd say put them through the same rules of mutation for a license as everything else.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

barnz

Post by barnz » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:put them through the same rules of mutation for a license as everything else.
zacly.

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:40 pm

OMG.....if you were anywhere near 3:30/c, you heard either camp go fuck yourself or the camper at 3:25/c and his jet fueled airhorn and obnoxious art car siren. but hey, we lived through it and even smiled about it.

dude....if you go to the event and come back wanting to ban a little annoying sound, don't go to the event! or go piss on the big boys before you start on the 2 strokes.

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............................
izzit august yet?

barnz

Post by barnz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:35 pm

stickysunset wrote:f you were anywhere near 3:30/c, you heard ... obnoxious art car siren.
EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............................
If you were anywhere near 3:30/f you heard my camp yelling THANK YOU after those blasts....

As loud as that was, it couldn't have bothered me any more than the all-night ravers who only had time to lay their head on the pillow for long enough to fall asleep. I was always well into my morning by the time I heard that. It also wasn't pervasive or dangerous like those damn scooters.

Lukky

Post by Lukky » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:10 pm

Lets start the ban on those scooters, move our way to engines all together, then wheels and finish it all off with the ban of fire.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Educate before you ban. More rules = less fun for everyone. Yell at em to light up and slow down.

If I bring a scooter it will be geared down for slower speed and muffled by a briliant contraption of my own design. How about that.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:24 pm

It will, in fact, be a brilliant design. And probably also be a hover scooter, capable of light speed. For those that don't know, Motsky is receiving mental transmissions from another planet concerning new technology. I'm convinced.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

The truth is

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm

I am hybrid. Shhhh....Don't tell.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:22 am

Please ban those pedestrians. Thanks.

Batmoose

Post by Batmoose » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:18 pm

My un-asked for 2 cents

-I was part of a camp that had I think 3 of those go-peds.

The fellows that had them spend a good 40% of thier time on maintaining and repairing said vehicles. I admit I felt that they seemed to be way more of a pain in the ass then they are worth. After the 3rd or 4th flat tire, I kind of felt that they were paying for thier own Karma of having the vehicles in the first place.

HOWEVER- I would have really loved to use one strictly for Ice haulage, as we were far from all the Ice stations. Considering we saved our last 40 bucks for Ice, I hated watching it melt away in our bike baskets as we peddled our sorry butts back to camp.

But that is the only use I would advocate, and that's only because I see Ice on the playa as not only nessissary, but essential to my own survival.

Ice + Camelback = a whole day of happy water intake! 8)
"Rhythm is both a song's manacle, and it's Demonic charge."

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Ice runs would have been a lot easier had the Artica outposts at 3:00 and 9:00 been fully staffed and stocked all the way through the event instead of being shutdown way too early.

As for the scooters each year I bring one they always give me trouble. They can be a major pain in the rear to deal with, they don't like playa dust at all. But if you want to do some long range exploring and since art cars can't be counted on for any kind of public transport, they fill a need and IMHO are worth the trouble.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:12 pm

I agree with the Cap'n's post above.

No banning, but since they're motorized vehicles, they should have to follow the same rules as other mutant vehicles.

Hey, if you can mutate it, great. I saw some cool mutated Segues out there but not one cool mutated scooter. Not even a streamer.

Slightly off-topic: By BORG definition, how is a motorcyle (banned on open playa) different from a scooter? What about a mo-ped?
Irony. You're soaking in it.

[CDS] topher

Re: Go peds brc needs to ban them Now

Post by [CDS] topher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:36 am

meatball wrote:/rant
after almost getting run over twice and the ass hat that would speed by
two times a day.

what do you think /rant off
I drive an electric goped, always lit, and nearly silent.

But as a general response:

Let's ban:

smoking
drinking
gopeds
golf carts
rude people
all forms of fire other than the OFFICIAL burn
any loud sounds
urinating into a bottle in your tent instead of in a portajohn
washboards on the streets
overcrowded centercamp
green lasers
nudity
EL Wire
Propane, in any situation
Diesel, in any situation
Gasoline, in any situation
Domes, b/c people might hang themselves
Parachutes
Pink Flamingoes
Roving Bars
Roving Couches (Hi, Kerver!)
Addition, removal or creation of any sign, including the use of stickers)
Non-recycleable anything (Soylent Green, Anyone?)
Any musical performance someone finds offensive

Actually...let's just ban the whole fucking thing. It would simplfy the rules a lot.
---
] Camp Cul-de-Sac
] Building Community Since 1997

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:28 pm

Issue: Playa Safety Council has asked Ranger opinion regarding Gopeds Result: Gopeds are exception to general rule and require Ranger resources better used elsewhere. Recommend no exception so Gopeds are under same restrictions as other motorized vehicles. Crow to investigate using a field in the DMV DB to flag problems for use both during event and next years.
But wait...there's more!
Joseph had several physical injury incidents related to gopeds.
Trapper notes big scooters seem to be the bigger issue
Harley notes there's a terminology issue, people still have issues with them out in the field, want to be clear that there's some substance before we bring it to the senior staff again
SeaDog sent out a spec of what a goped is, but the real issues are about policing these vehicles (speed, etc.). Also, we say we have a pedestrian city, with the exception of art vehicles and patrol vehicles... clearly not consistent licensing vehicles could be over taxing to current structure; Harley notes it becomes a gate issue: stopping them at the gate Harley would like a discussion to tee up issue to Ops Team which will make a decision, pass to PSC, thence to Senior Staff SeaDog sees a problem of not getting the word out soon enough that these two wheeled scooter are not mutant are not authorized Atomic- tee it up in terms of definition of the city: it's pedestrian Harley: no different from large scale sound art, music on art cars. Rangers and participants are doing the complaining IdiotBox- ban them because of the potential of dumping oil and residue on the playa. the little two-strokes are running rich up at that altitude... banning them makes the event cleaner possibly ban the gas ones, permit the electrics
SeaDog- make no exceptions breaking it down to electric vs gas adds more mess; require all gopeds to be mutated Tulsa- license gopeds... give them stickers so we can identify them and hold them liable SeaDog- it they can meet the criteria for DMV, let 'em go, otherwise no joy. Harley: I think it's unenforceable, do more preeducation, Bob: yes, but it activates the community to help enforce Trapper: it's going to come down to confiscating gopeds SeaDog: we actually did take some of them out to the gate three years ago... Harley: that was a single camp. IdiotBox: what about valvestems and spark plug wires? SeaDog: if you can get Rangers to do it...
Scoutmaster: don't just look for rationale for getting rid of them SeaDog: presenting rationale to general public really needs to be thought through Crow: no opinion, though they are annoying - we receive about 15 complaints a year SeaDog: a lot more complaints directly to Rangers Trapper: DMV needs to have two-wheeled art vehicles demonstrate that they can move at 5mph... one handicapped vehicle was a pain in the ass around that this year. Binky- egregious cases are the problem... if someone with a handicapped scooter was warned multiple times, why was she allowed to keep it on playa?
Harley: can dmv deny a permit? we can use a field in the DB Trapper: given some slack because she's disabled... registered through DMV Crow to get with DMV to update their note field... Bob asks that that be done. Harley: more burning thoughts on gopeds? Bob: gopeds are an exception to the general rule; take away the rationalization for that exception. Second, this rationalization serves to privilege only the convenience the individual who has the goped, and is thus at odds with the greater community ethos. SeaDog: next step is ops team, then to PSC
This raises some very troubling issues...very troubling.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:19 pm

stickysunset wrote:OMG.....if you were anywhere near 3:30/c, you heard either camp go fuck yourself or the camper at 3:25/c and his jet fueled airhorn and obnoxious art car siren. but hey, we lived through it and even smiled about it.
Ahh.. some of my fondest memories from the playa. It was indeed a classy neighborhood to be in.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I have to admit - my little gas powered scooter is a blast to ride on playa, annoying as hell I know - so i limit my use.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:54 pm

No way.. keep it rolling. I say anything with 2 wheels should roll, especially harleys. If those darn rich folk get to bring their segways I should be able to bring my ratty old knucklehead. All I know is I'm bringin a leaf blower next year to help keep the dust up. Too many things are banned as it is. I think the go-peds are dandy but I prefer to see the homemade stuff. How about that silver surfer guy, that thing is so friggin cool.. surfboard on the playa.. now thats cool.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I would hate to lose my electric scooter. Comes in handy when it hurts too much to walk but I can't hold it any more. I would hate to have to fire up my mutant vehicle just to go to the JOTS. Could be the straw for me. But I understand the conflict with DMV and City policy.

Question - should/would it be possible to get both a scooter DMV liscence and a mutated vehicle liscence, or would those of us with both have to pick one or the other?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Tool -

Your right im rolling my little 2 stroke abomination with flowing tassels until they pry it out from under my drunken feet.

My question - you think BLM would cite me for DUI on a scooter?

Return to “Stories”