Go peds brc needs to ban them Now

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:01 pm

My question - you think BLM would cite me for DUI on a scooter?
No question.

Seriously.
Desert dogs drink deep.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm

And Badger's word is gold on these matters.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I knew they would - I had a friend get a DUI in Seattle in college on a damn Mtn. Bike.!

I just realized that its common place to roll the bikes with a beer in hand or other drink - by the letter of the law thats a DUI i believe, even if your not drunk or blow an .08.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:44 pm

I hear that ALL open bottles are verboten on the playa on mutant vehicles. I asked a fella in Gigville that was a Ranger and was informed that this also applies to passengers. So it seems the limo rules are not out there on the playa regardless of whats happened in the past. All this means is that you have to have a second bladder and hose for your camelbaak to put the booze in. The DUI stuff I tend to agree with.. there are a few folks that aren't into booze that will operate. I for one would love to spend an evening driving a mutant vehicle around on the playa, especially one with flame effects.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

datoorion

Post by datoorion » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:53 am

ha ha :D
"the desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise" tacitus

plowman

Post by plowman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Theyv'e busted people on bicycles and horses . You might want to be careful

honeyfire

And dress 'em up like My Little Pony burners...

Post by honeyfire » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:55 am

A tad pushy, that dui'ing someone on a horse. The really cool thing about riding a horse when drunk or even sleeping is that they will specifically avoid walking into other living things, or (usually) into established areas such as camps. Most horses will fall rather than trample someone, and you could braid elwire into their mane and tail. *nodding* That would be cool.
Hell, i had a neighbor who would ride his horse out to the county road, turn him out in the pasture by the road, hitch into town, get shitfaced, hitch back, and let the horse get him home while he passed out in the saddle.
Maybe we should just trade out all the scooters for horses...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:15 am

Toolmaker wrote: I for one would love to spend an evening driving a mutant vehicle around on the playa, especially one with flame effects.
I gotta find you this year... I'd love to have someone else drive for me!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Gravity Mike

Re: Scooters are motorized vehicles

Post by Gravity Mike » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:03 am

Tiara wrote:I'd be all for categorizing motorized scooters/mopeds with other motorized vehicles, and requiring that they be registered transpo for handicapped people, or mutated enough to be considered art cars.
Here here!!

If it has a motor, mutant vehicle rules apply. Human powered, anything goes.

Gravity Mike

fireninja
Burning Since: 2001

A considered reply

Post by fireninja » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:51 pm

I'll start by saying I'm a 7 year Burner, and have been involved in the event in capacities such that I have gotten staff tickets for that entire time. I believe in the values of the event, and live them year round.

This being said, I think GoPeds are a pretty ideal form of transportation at Burning Man. They get 100-200 miles per gallon, are light weight and small enough to fit into a car trunk, and cheap too. You may not like the sound of two stroke engines, but they are FAR more fuel efficient than four strokes. Given the environmental damage caused by burning the Man, in addition to the other fireworks and pyrotechnics (Can you say Oil Derrick '07?) and fire performance, the additional pollution created by GoPeds don't even rise to the level of a rounding error.

If you want to ban them because the people riding them are occasionally being stupid and dangerous, in terms of poor lighting and speed, you will need to ban bikes on the same principle -- bikes go as fast and are just as dangerous when unlit. As for noise, art cars with mobile sound systems and theme camps put out so much noise that a little barking two-stroke is a joke in comparison. That being said, I built a noise suppression system for mine just for use at BRC. It hurts performance a bit, but I try to be respectful of others, even when they are not respectful of me.

As for the dangers related to use of GoPeds, the risks are centered mostly on the operators. Pedestrians are not in any more danger than from bicycles. If you wan't to stop Burners from engaging in dangerous activities start by banning fire performance and Thunder Dome.

Finally, GoPeds do not exist in a loophole. They are specifically allowed by the event. Read the survival guide:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ml#scooter

[quote]Scooters and Go-Peds

Small motorized scooters (two-wheeled, lightweight, standup, off-street type), and go-peds are allowed in Black Rock City, but they are subject to the same rules as any other motorized vehicles - drive 5 MPH and have front and rear lights at night. BLM Rangers will issue citations for non-compliance.

Large, seated, street-legal "Vespa" type scooters, like motorcycles, are not allowed to drive in our pedestrian and bicycle city.[/quote]

If something annoys you out there, fu*king deal with it. Don't treat it like petitioning your condo owners association to stop kids from being noisy in the parking lot. People like you guys are the reason Burning Man is becoming a mess of red tape.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 am

I like my scooters - even put a larger exhaust on it as well.

Scooter in day, bike at night.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Yes, I think there needs to be more awareness about scooters. I rarely ever see a rider of one that is illuminated from the back and front. They never seem to follow the 5 MPH rule. They are noisy and I'm tired of trying to get the hell out of the way of whatever psychotic rider that is zipping by.

Return to “Stories”