BOYCOTT BURNINGMAN! 1 YEAR SHUT DOWN!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
scruffyboy

BOYCOTT BURNINGMAN! 1 YEAR SHUT DOWN!

Post by scruffyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 am

I say BOYCOTT BURNING MAN!

Until BMORG makes a FAR more concerted effort to get the "basic" message of Burning Man across...

LEAVE NO TRACE,

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF,

TAKE CARE OF OTHERS,

HELP OUT,

RESPECT OTHERS...

Let's just stay away! Let them deal with the idiots, the morons, the "fratbratz" et all.

As a long time burner, I have seen the event sprial downward into nothing more than drunken debauch in the desert.

And NO, that ISN'T what it's SUPPOSED to be about.

And guess what? EXCESSIVELY ALTERED STATES CAN BE DANGEROUS AND/OR DEADLY IN THE DESERT, YOU MORON!

I don't wanna stumble across your 3 day old rotting carcass,
it'd "bum MY trip man"

It was/is very sad to see the amount of trash that gets simply "dropped" by uncaring/unthinking individual(s) EVERYWHERE!

LEAVE NO TRACE DOES NOT MEAN YOUR MOMMY IS GONNA COME CLEAN UP AFTER YOU!

Unless she volunteered for clean-up, then she is gonna be mighty PISSED OFF WITH YOU!

A beer bottle thoughtlessly deposited in a porti-pottie SEVERLY injured a worker this year!

I am constantly amazed at the number of people that STILL come to the event so woefully un-prepared,

READ AND HEED THE SURVIVAL GUIDE YOU IDIOT! IT'S THERE FOR A REASON WE"RE NOT KIDDING ONE DAMN BIT ABOUT WHAT CONDITIONS CAN BE LIKE! DON'T EVEN THINK OF COMING UNLESS YOU'RE PROPERLY PERPARED!

It is discouraging to see amatuer photographers taking "candid" shots WITHOUT PERMISSION! Especially when it is clearly evident the ONLY purpose a particular "angle" is for self-gratification. This isn't "Burners Gone Wild"

WANT JERK-OFF MATERIAL? GO ONLINE, STAY AWAY FROM BURNING MAN PERVERT!

Besides, there's more variety and it's cheaper anyway!

I find it amazing that people will walk right by a fellow camper who clearly needs a helping hand and NOT stop to help out.

LET'S GET WITH IT PEOPLE! SEE SOMEONE THAT NEEDS A HAND? STOP! GO HELP OUT!

I think a ONE YEAR SHUT-DOWN of the event is in order.

THIS IS AS MUCH OUR EVENT AS IT IS BMORG'S!

I SAY IT'S TIME WE TAKE IT BACK!

O.K. That's my rant

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:34 am

Okay. You do it your way, personally, I'm going to my event.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 am

AntiM wrote:Okay. You do it your way, personally, I'm going to my event.

\/
See ya on the playa, Antim

scruffyboy

Ahh First posters

Post by scruffyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:21 am

Thanks for responding guys....I needed to vent a little.
I still think it's a good idea. At LEAST kick BMORG in da butt and get a little more serious with the message.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:43 am

I can feel where scruff is coming from, I noticed alot of the same. I will still try my hardest to return to the playa next year. It is what you make it. While playing with Cheesys fire cannon some tourist in an RV pulled up and was filming me.. I sohould have pulled my dick out and started masturbating like a zoo monkey but I hadn't slept in 3 days so I didn't think to do it until after the RV was run out of the hood. I watched someone dump a whole bag of trash out in a dust whiteout since I have limited mobility I couldn't chase after the trash. I did my best to leave the porta potties better off than I found them by wiping the seats down and taking found beer bottles etc and placing in trash. I think I am responsible for the largest piece of moop.. a pool table.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

honeyfire

Well, SOMEone has to suggest it...

Post by honeyfire » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 am

How about a non-boycott boycott?
Everyone show up next year and do nothing interesting.
Use regular camping stuff, wear street clothes, hang around our camps talking about how much cooler it all was when it was on the beach, leave the booze and the giant speakers at home, and so on.
No spectacle = no tourists.

Yeah, THAT'll happen... *snork*
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

scruffyboy

I LIKE the idea Honey

Post by scruffyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:57 am

I like that idea Honey...Just sorta come as you are, no fancy costumes, no theme camps...Just burn the guy at the end and be done with it!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:12 am

In street clothes, night of the burn. why? White gas and costumes, well, not so practical. We leave that for the performers. Hence the wet towels.

I can see why someone would think I was a tourista in my jeans and "Don't be a Pussy" tee. Although mylarry lives in that damn utilikilt. Yeah, pretty mundane on the Big Night.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: BOYCOTT BURNINGMAN! 1 YEAR SHUT DOWN!

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 am

scruffyboy wrote: And guess what? EXCESSIVELY ALTERED STATES CAN BE DANGEROUS AND/OR DEADLY IN THE DESERT, YOU MORON!

I don't wanna stumble across your 3 day old rotting carcass,
it'd "bum MY trip man"
It's insane how many dried up raver carcasses you stumble over nowadays. More and more every year.
scruffyboy wrote: I SAY IT'S TIME WE TAKE IT BACK!
O.K. That's my rant
Take it back?

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:41 am

Jesus and Maria.

Why don't they just un-archive the eplaya from the previous year to save people the trouble of typing.

This year was no worse than the last time I went (2005).

No more gunk in the potties than usual
I ran into/over less passed out people
Actually thought the vibe a bit nicer
etc
call me baby

run_w_xcors

Post by run_w_xcors » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:31 pm

How hard would it be to come to BM and not show off? That's the whole of the gifting economy and the brilliance of a corporation to make money off from people willing to forget they're lining the pockets of whackos like Larry Harvey (and his big Ganesh).

I say return to the barter economy. You wanna see me fire dance, bring a beer or bag of ice or even a silly trinket I'll stow away till next year. Sing me a song, tell a joke, help carve the pig or spank that little freak with her ass out and a wry grin.

Make a Peg-A-Yahoo beer bottle firing range where people can bring their beer bottle MOOP and throw it at cutouts of your least favorite BM archetypes (feel free to include people in fairy wings and Utili-kilts so everyone gets some love). Make art out of smashed glass.

I still want a sign at the entrance that warns people if they take video or pictures of people unsolicited, there's a chance their equipment gets smashed. Encourage people to smash untagged video cams (I actually had some Yahoo tell me it was OK to put his fucking camera in my face because he wasn't using it for commercial purposes). Feel free to use smashed media MOOP in above Peg-A-Yahoo.

Police your neighborhood, intimidate Yahoos with fire and loud noises.
Jake Lundberg
run (dot) w (dot) xcors (AT) gmail (dot) com
"Roads, where we're going, we won't need roads"

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

Following The Principles of Burning Man

Post by JediDale » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:14 pm

We feel it has come time to make it MANDATORY to have people show they are prepared for the event. Yes, this would slow down the gate, but it would keep out those who absolutely demand others take care of them 100%!
People need a short random 8 question test on the survival guide before being allowed through the gate. Don't have water, goggles, dust masks or respirators, glowies, lights, etc,?? - then no entrance!! This would thin out flakes FAST!!

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Last year was better. That is all. :D

reptillicus

Post by reptillicus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm a BM virgin but I think if you rally a boycott, then the less than admerable burners will take over. I'd hate to make a bad reference but look at the last woodstock, the concert about peace and love turned into an LA riot. You just cant keep the flys off the cake forever, the sad thing is that you cant cant make the flys not want to come. As for the people who depend on others to provide for them, my long time burner friends always tell me about this great generous attitude everyone has. Everytime a hear about that my first thought isnt that I wont have to be prepared, its that I should be over prepaired in case I run into some one who needs help. I know I'm gonna need something that I didnt bring but thats no reason to bring nothing. On that same subject, Im planning on driving down there from Minnesota and I'm going to leave my passenger seat empty because I'm sure I'll run into a burner who could use a ride there. Someone tell me if Im wrong

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

the sad thing is that you cant make the flys not want to come
Sure you can, stop selling ice and coffee. :shock:

scruffyboy

Grateful fo all the replies

Post by scruffyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 pm

I admit, a boycott is an extreme knee-jerk reaction. I am VERY grateful for all the replies to this post (thoughtful and otherwise, I need a good laugh too!)

I admit to a slight "Burnier Than Thou" attitude having gone since 96, but I still don't like what I'm seeing.

I'd just like to see BMORG put more effort into educating people about the event.
I for one intend to go to every college website and post to every one that'll let me.

I'm taking a deliberate sabbitical from BM next year but....I'll probably be going in 09. (sigh) By then the playa dust withdrawals and cravings will probably be too great to ignore.

Again THANKS GANG!

honeyfire

Good on ya, lizzie!

Post by honeyfire » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:59 pm

reptillicus sayed:
"Everytime i hear about [this great generous attitude everyone has],
my first thought isnt that I wont have to be prepared, its that I should be over prepaired in case I run into some one who needs help."
Im planning on driving down and I'm going to leave my passenger seat empty because I'm sure I'll run into a burner who could use a ride there. Someone tell me if Im wrong"

*big appreciative smoochies to reptillicus*
No, honey, you're not wrong.
While there are indeed too many who will take inappropriate advantage of this approach, it is still SO necessary in the world.
My personal thanks to you for this attitude.
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

scruffyboy

Word on the "gifting"

Post by scruffyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I try my level best to be fully prepared every time I go, way overprepared is what usually happens. I've been glad I did it on more than one ocassion.
I've been able to help out campmates that didn't have that special thingie-whats-a-whozits to make some vital repair, spare EVERYTHING!
I was glad I brought my nail-care set, I was able to offer a pedicure to a campmate. Dumb little stuff like that.

What frosts MY cookies is the IDIOTS that come TOTALLY unprepared! Example: Older VW van coming from Oregon, NO OIL CHANGE, NO TUNE-UP, NO SPARE BELT OR PARTS, NO TOOLS, MARGINAL MAINTAINENCE AT BEST....And sure enough...the guy was broken down on the way in. I got him going with MY SPARES, MY TIME, MY TOOLS!
I was glad to do it, I NEVER mind helping out a fellow VW owner. BUT... at the same time I wanted to wring the guys neck for being such a ditz! And part of me wishes I'd left the moron by the side of the road after I got the FULL story. The guy just decides, on a whim, "Kewl, I think I'll go to Burning Man" No food, water, unprepared vehicle... DUMBASS!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Following The Principles of Burning Man

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:27 pm

[quote="JediDale"]
People need a short random 8 question test on the survival guide before being allowed through the gate. Don't have water, goggles, dust masks or respirators, glowies, lights, etc,?? - then no entrance!! This would thin out flakes FAST!! [/quote]

Jedi, see my Burning Man Quiz Post. I'm telling ya, if we get enough people talkin' about this maybe our friends at LLC will take heed.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm telling ya, if we get enough people talkin' about this maybe our friends at LLC will take heed.
Yeh, just like that Everyone-In-America-Stop-Buying-Gasoline-On-Thursday thing reallly showed Chevron.
Desert dogs drink deep.

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Badger wrote:
I'm telling ya, if we get enough people talkin' about this maybe our friends at LLC will take heed.
Yeh, just like that Everyone-In-America-Stop-Buying-Gasoline-On-Thursday thing reallly showed Chevron.
:lol:

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Toolmaker wrote: I think I am responsible for the largest piece of moop.. a pool table.
???
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:39 pm

K-mom wrote:
Toolmaker wrote: I think I am responsible for the largest piece of moop.. a pool table.
???
Nothing to question.. there was indeed a pool table left by the fella that abandoned me when my RSD started acting up. The trailer that brought the pool table was removed along with his RV and the pool table was left behind. Tiki Fuckos now owns a pool table. :) Since I was the person who bought the pool table from craigslist and brought aforementioned fuckwad into Gigsville it's sorta my fault.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Oblique

boybott

Post by Oblique » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Boycotting is lame. Most of the event is perfectly fine. Just ignore the frat brats. It's mainly a figment of peoples' exaggerated imaginations.

Honestly, 90% of the people who attend the Burn are great, so why boycott because of 10%. That's like letting them win.

They do have the same right we do to attend and you cannot exclude morons or annoying people. You just have to live with it. It's pretty easy to filter those people out.
[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/l5v2s.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/we972.gif[/img][/url]

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Sometimes a chat with an annoying moron is all it takes to turn them around. Not often enough, but it can happen.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:24 pm

[quote="AntiM"]Sometimes a chat with an annoying moron is all it takes to turn them around. Not often enough, but it can happen.[/quote]

If they're really obnoxious, I've taken to telling college girls that their outfits make them look fat. Bad juju, but totally worth it.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:06 am

hehee this is silly so I will add silliness just to add to:

I know I know...lets all just go out and do it a month earlier, then only the ones who know will be there.
1. get in free
2. have their camps set up in plenty of time
3. my as well make permenent infrastructure
4. run out of water and turn into midnight pirates to gerlache
5. buy out all the beer in a 25 mile radious
Oh screw it silly silly man...
If ya dont wanna come dont. we will have fun without you!
This year was grand, apparently some people wore their expectations on their sleaves!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

scruffyboy

GOOD! PEOPLE ARE TALKING!

Post by scruffyboy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:45 am

I've seen this kind of post years past with all the various responses . THIS is exactly what I was hoping for. I've been out to Black Rock before BM once or twice and it was great!
I know we're NEVER going to eliinate the "idiotmoronfratbrat" factor entirely. My only purpose in starting the thread was to get people talking and hopefully bring some pressure to bear on BMORG to make a more concerted effort to educate people about the event.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 am

Ah, a more concerted effort to educate people. I say the Gate folks should have these:

Lead-filled tire thumpers. Now that's education. Do you have enough water? No? THUMP! Tell me about LNT and MOOP. No? THUMP! No driving, no motorcycles or vespas or ATVs? No? THUMP! What goes in the Potties? Wrong! THUMP!

Now drink some water.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 am

>>>>>I have seen the event sprial downward into nothing more than drunken debauch in the desert. <<<<<

i was pretty wasted in 95', 96',,,,,, but i seem to be sobering up a little now....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Return to “Stories”