strange lights in the sky friday/saturday night

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
nibbler

strange lights in the sky friday/saturday night

Post by nibbler » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Did anybody see any strange lights dancing in the north east quadrant of the sky at approx. 45 degrees up angle, if standing between the oil rig and the rave cluster at 2:00?

I was looking for shooting stars and noticed lights break apart from a rather average star, dance around, do flips and cartwheels... and then return to the star. This continued for about 4 hours between 1 and 4 am.

I pointed it out to several other people, some saw it and some didn't. Did anyone else out there happen to see anything like this?

Had so much fun that night... Nibbler

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Hubby says it was guys in parachutes with flares night jumping. At least that's what he saw.
Medicated and Motivated!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: strange lights in the sky friday/saturday night

Post by ibdave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:01 pm

nibbler wrote:Did anybody see any strange lights dancing in the north east quadrant of the sky at approx. 45 degrees up angle, if standing between the oil rig and the rave cluster at 2:00?

I was looking for shooting stars and noticed lights break apart from a rather average star, dance around, do flips and cartwheels... and then return to the star. This continued for about 4 hours between 1 and 4 am.

I pointed it out to several other people, some saw it and some didn't. Did anyone else out there happen to see anything like this?

Had so much fun that night... Nibbler
You answered your own question in your last sentence...
8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

space monk

Post by space monk » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:07 pm

hahaha! i just posted my expirence from friday night! read it. i concidered the 'night jumpers', and that could maybe explain the 'meteor', but i'm sure parachuting humans cannot change altitude, nor can they zip around the sky. i think when you realize that there is a worldwide flood of 'ufo' activity, the arrial events at BRC should be seen as potentialy 'the real deal.....'
TheFuseIsLit......

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:17 pm

sorry, no UFO's. It was parachutists. The first one flared out fairly quickly, but the ones who followed had flares that lasted. They got close enough that we could see their parachutes, and some of them landed near the 6:00 road between Center Camp & the Man.

My first thought was that they were the meteors, but then I saw the 'chutes.
but i'm sure parachuting humans cannot change altitude, nor can they zip around the sky
You're right. They probably can't, and from what I saw (I was near Esplanade & Center Camp), they didn't. YMMV.

But, what the hell, UFO's would be nice.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sudinym

several people saw that...

Post by Sudinym » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Sorry Eric... parachutists can't do flips and cartwheels and return UP to where they started... :shock:

Toolmaker

Re: several people saw that...

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Sudinym wrote:Sorry Eric... parachutists can't do flips and cartwheels and return UP to where they started... :shock:
From the right viewing angle a paraglider can look like it did a cartwheel when it really only did a corkscrew kinda move. I think you would need some kind of updraft. I have no experience with the air there but I hear its kinda active and strong.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Sudinym wrote:Sorry Eric... parachutists can't do flips and cartwheels and return UP to where they started... :shock:
Like I said, from where I was standing, they didn't.

Just big loopy spirals to the ground, close enough that the 6 people from my camp who were watching could see their 'chutes as they headed out towards open playa to land.

If you want to believe in E.T. doing a quick visit, by all means do so.

Personally I find a whole hell of a lot more wonder in the fact that some of our citizens parachuted at night in the turbulent air of the fricking playa with flares burning behind them- just because they want to bring us joy.

That, my friend, is something to get emotional about. I don't need to turn them into joy-riding aliens to get that thrill.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Sudinym

Post by Sudinym » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:56 am

Eric wrote:Personally I find a whole hell of a lot more wonder in the fact that some of our citizens parachuted at night in the turbulent air of the fricking playa with flares burning behind them- just because they want to bring us joy.

That, my friend, is something to get emotional about. I don't need to turn them into joy-riding aliens to get that thrill.
We're obvoiously talking about two different things... of course it's cool that the parachutes were there and awesome that they went out at all... but what I saw was totally different and not just loopy spirals... so I didn't warp them into anything for my joy-riding thrill thank you very much... but I'm glad you found an emotional high in the experience you had and I won't belittle that...

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:40 pm

Sorry Eric... parachutists can't do flips and cartwheels and return UP to where they started...
From many perspectives on the ground that can appear to do that. A parachutist in front and above you who's doing a downward corkscrew motion could appear to be a light moving up and down with reference to the horizon. One coming toward you from off in the distance could appear to be moving upward in the sky even though they are moving down and toward you. Your perspective is going to be 2 dimensional but they are still moving in 3 separate dimensions.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 pm

Sorry Eric... parachutists can't do flips and cartwheels and return UP to where they started...
Eric, people see what they want to see.

That is all.

Desert dogs drink deep.

Sudinym

Post by Sudinym » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Badger wrote:Eric, people see what they want to see.
I want to see a million dollars... I want to see a million dollars...I want to see a million dollars...I want to see a million dollars...

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:10 pm

I saw them that night. They were definitely UFOs.

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:11 pm

I saw them that night. They were definitely UFOs.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 am

Geez, all these cameras around and none of them worked. Must be some sort of cosmic ray from the mothership.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Sudinym wrote:
Badger wrote:Eric, people see what they want to see.
I want to see a million dollars... I want to see a million dollars...I want to see a million dollars...I want to see a million dollars...

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

VividViews

Post by VividViews » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:04 am

Eric wrote:
Like I said, from where I was standing, they didn't.

Just big loopy spirals to the ground, close enough that the 6 people from my camp who were watching could see their 'chutes as they headed out towards open playa to land.

If you want to believe in E.T. doing a quick visit, by all means do so.

Personally I find a whole hell of a lot more wonder in the fact that some of our citizens parachuted at night in the turbulent air of the fricking playa with flares burning behind them- just because they want to bring us joy.

The skydivers here at the Burning Sky theme camp liked your observation so much that we have it as one of the random quotes that appear on our web site's home page.

- Chris Norton
[url=http://vividviews.com][img]http://vividviews.com/banner.jpg[/img][/url]

roland brown

Post by roland brown » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 am

Just to try to clarify things a little bit:
Burning Sky put about 14 skydivers in the air at about 10:00 at night on Friday, August 31st. Most of us had fireworks attached to our feet. These were set off at various altitudes between 10,000 feet and 3,000 feet above the playa. Each flare burned for about 30 seconds. We landed north of the 6:00 roadway about halfway between center camp and the Man.
Any phenomena that occurred at other times are, of course, open to speculation. The other stuff you saw was probably just the CIA beaming mind control signals directly into your visual cortex. I hate it when they do that!
I'd rather be poor as a result of generosity than rich as a result of greed

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:46 pm

VividViews wrote: The skydivers here at the Burning Sky theme camp liked your observation so much that we have it as one of the random quotes that appear on our web site's home page.
Wow. You've just made my day! Not nearly as much as you made my Friday night wonderful, but still...... I'm grinning like a fool now.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Stories”