my first burning experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
moesgurlie

my first burning experience

Post by moesgurlie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:41 pm

im reading everything everyone has to say with agreement and diagreement. i guess alot of it goes with the sad but true old sayings like: nothing ever stays the same or boy i remember when. as in eveything in life nothing ever stays the same. i guess the best thing that can be said to all the people who have attended numerious times is cherious all those memories for you were there and isnt that what makes it such a great thing. to this day, i cant get that trip to brc out of my mind or my system. and to think of all you who have been a part of this for years, well all i can say is i cant wait to fill my memory bank in the years to come. let me just say for a newbie, i think i did pretty good as far as not being a problem for the more experienced. for years i have been looking at the web site and my group i went with kept telling me just read the survival guide (iwas givin a copy weeks before we went.)
but i dont care how much you look at on net or how much you read, untill you get there and live it that black and white picture in your head doesnt become full color. we arrived camp at dusk so by time we were settled in it was dark, i was full of excitement and wanting to see everything. i grabbed my bike and yes i had a light, and took off to see the city. first BIG mistake, was either not hearing or understanding the importace of "hey we live on freshwater and bla bla bla. so off i go eyes wide open and my heart beating full speed. for the first couple of hrs it was great looking at this looking at that, then it dawned om me, where the hell am i.
where the hell is a bathroom. the next two hrs i rode up and down back and forth, till i came to the conclusion, my stupidity is going to have my ass sleeping who knows where till daybreak, if i can even find my camp then. so for any newbies very important..know how the streets are set up, find landmarks that help you. luckily for some reason my gardian ange said ok shes had enough, and bamn out of knowwhere my fellow campers appeared in front of me. i never was so happy to see anyone.
did i ever let on i had been lost-oh hell no. by the end of the morning i made sure i knew where i was staying from every angle possible. which reminds me, thank you whoever had the big tall red heart. you are my hero. i take my first year as a learning experience which is just fine for me. i enjoyed looking at all the art, the lights at night, and just appreciating the creativity, the ideas, the time, the effort, everything, everybody that makes this event what it is. i kept saying to myself over and over "who the hell woulnt think this is totally awsome" this is so cool that 47,000 people think just like i do, that this is cool" this is where i belong. when i was in my 20's i had a friend who lived on the boardwalk in venice beach, and i used to think to myself, the dogs on venice have more culture than most of the people where i live. not untill going to the bm have i felt this great sence of pleasure in a long time. i feel sorry for people who go through this life wearing shutters and closed minds...... anyway back to my expierence at the man. i found myself writting a journal while at the man for more reasons than one. first to have the pleasure of reading it later and being able to visualize it in my mind and secondly all the great ideas i saw for my next year. first thought coming to mind is i thought the condo kings had one of the coolest camps. i loved how it glowed at night, the whole set up. not untill i got home and looked at free tv did i actually see the inside, that even made it cooler. i guess the one complaint that i actually feel was such a drag is the book. i would look and say hey that sounds cool, but i thought it was just me not being able to figure out where and when. i actually have learned of so many things that went on while i was there that i didnt have clue, by reading the net. which thats fine, next year i will know, and next year will be my year for participating and not just observing. the day after i got home from burning man i got a huge sketch pad out and starting drawing my camp for next year, not only my camp, but also my way of contributing to the city. gifting. i have what i think will be a great give away gift, it has a purpose, and it will make a great gift to take home, and it will be useful everyday you are there. 3000-5000 is my approximate count give away, but who knows as the year (thats bm year) goes by, the count may increase. i dont think i want to give my idea away just yet but i will give the name of camp-it will be called the big chill.
anyway, thanks everybody for everything, alot of things can get taken away in life, but not our memories.
p.s. thank you bm for helping me get over my portapottie-phobia.
before i forget newbies-speaking of portapotties you might want to visit one before taking off on your bike to say like the temple, i got out to the temple one night and went uh oh now what. for me, thats not good enough though, kinda having a weak bladder... im thinking more like the skirt, funnel, bottle idea. so women what do you think? any good suggestions ? how did eveyone deal with the being a ways from the bathroom when........

mars

Post by mars » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:28 am

Hey Moesgurlie,

I relate to your joy about BM!

One tip for a newbie on eplaya--use that return key more...more paragraphs equals more readers.

And I think you already learned the answers o your potty question at the bottom...always start any journey with a trip to the porto-pottie. Plus, you can study the map and see where all the porto-potties are, there is a pattern to the placement so it's not that hard to remember.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

ALICEtheGOON

Post by ALICEtheGOON » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:11 am

hi gurlie.
Wasnt BM cool! I was told not to have any exspectations. That was the best advice ever. I was amazed at the imagination and hard work put forth in the camps and artcars. Brilliant minds roam the playa. I enjoyed the role-playing happening at many camps. That was fun stuff.

This is the weird part ... :shock:

I cant get this trip out of my head!!! Every single morning I wake up and its the first thing I think about . I thought to myself...WELL...you just got back so thats normal . Here it is, one month later and I still wake up thinking about BM. That part of it kinda scares me and makes me feel really odd. :roll:

I hope first timers can relate . Hope so anyway, or I need to go see a shrink .

Glad you had an amazing time as well.

take care .

ALice

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm

nope Alice your clearly insane MMmmmmmaaauuh!

mars

Post by mars » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm

nope Alice your clearly insane MMmmmmmaaauuh!
Like the rest of us!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:28 pm

mars wrote:
use that return key more...
"Return" key? Is that Commodore 64 still holding up?
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:05 pm

moesgurlie,

I'm really happy that you had such a great first Burn. Reading posts like yours really help my day out and make me smile. As the years have rolled on a bit, I've taken note of my approach to, and perception of, the event changing... or maybe evolving. Its still amazing and still fun, for certain, but there's nothing like your first mind blowing time.

Thanks for sharing.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:07 pm

ALICEtheGOON wrote:hi gurlie.
Wasnt BM cool! I was told not to have any exspectations. That was the best advice ever. I was amazed at the imagination and hard work put forth in the camps and artcars. Brilliant minds roam the playa. I enjoyed the role-playing happening at many camps. That was fun stuff.

This is the weird part ... :shock:

I cant get this trip out of my head!!! Every single morning I wake up and its the first thing I think about . I thought to myself...WELL...you just got back so thats normal . Here it is, one month later and I still wake up thinking about BM. That part of it kinda scares me and makes me feel really odd. :roll:

I hope first timers can relate . Hope so anyway, or I need to go see a shrink .

Glad you had an amazing time as well.

take care .

ALice
Nothing wrong... and it only gets weirder.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm

p.s. thank you bm for helping me get over my portapottie-phobia.
before i forget newbies-speaking of portapotties you might want to visit one before taking off on your bike to say like the temple, i got out to the temple one night and went uh oh now what. for me, thats not good enough though, kinda having a weak bladder... im thinking more like the skirt, funnel, bottle idea. so women what do you think? any good suggestions ? how did eveyone deal with the being a ways from the bathroom when........
I strongly recommend the Pee Funnel, so you can pee in a bottle. The potties are on the whole exceptionally well kept up during the day. I'm glad you got over your portapottie-phobia. If we all treat them with respect, we will all have a pleasant excremental experience.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Rocket75377 wrote:
mars wrote:
use that return key more...
"Return" key? Is that Commodore 64 still holding up?

Hey! Don't mock the C-64! They were the greatest computers ever made! :P

B. (Tryin' to return to the '80s!)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

mars

Post by mars » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey! Don't mock the C-64! They were the greatest computers ever made!
I don't know wtf you guys are talking about. I'm on a Mac...so if you're gonna mock me, mock me for that.

Return to “Stories”