Burningman and the Bible

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:50 am

Perhaps you need one first.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:18 am

Chimp wrote:Before Burning Man gets a bible p'raps it should have an enema?
Colonics for everyone.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Sun May 02, 2004 8:58 pm

I think I put too much confidence into what Burningman is capable of.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 02, 2004 11:05 pm

What the FUCK is with these religious overtone themes? "Beyond Belief" followed by "Vault of Heaven"... then chowderheads suggesting we write a goddamm bible... yes, I get that it's just fucking around and not a serious bible, but like, forget the god damn pre-historic science fiction - umm, I mean religion - bullshit already!
Fuck I hate that shit, who would want to pollute BM with any of that?!

O.K., off to mix up some Kool-Aid...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Mon May 03, 2004 8:28 am

Hrm... You mean Burning Man isn't a forum for burning books of corruption?

Simply Joel

Book Burning

Post by Simply Joel » Mon May 03, 2004 8:46 am

A good old book burning, just what Burning Man needs...

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksw ... urning.htm

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/burning/burning.html

http://pages.cthome.net/andbookstoo/bookburning.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The paper burns, but the words fly away."
Ben Joseph AKIBA
Jewish Palestinian religious leader (A.D. C. 50- C.135)

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
Ray BRADBURY
U.S. science-fiction writer (1920-)

"There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches."
Ray BRADBURY

"Somewhere the saving and putting away had to begin again and someone had to do the saving and keeping, one way or another, in books, in records, in people's heads, any way at all so long as it was safe, free from moths, silverfish, rust and dry rot, and men with matches."
Ray BRADBURY

"When the regime ordered
Books with dangerous knowledge
To be burned in public and everywhere
Oxen were forced to pull, carts with books
to the bonfires, one of the persecuted poets
discovered one of the best
studying the list of the burned
disconcerted, that his books were forgotten.
He rushed to his desk, flying on wings of rage
and wrote a letter to the the authorities.
Burn me! he wrote with a quick stroke
Burn me! don't do this to me! Do not spare me!
Have I not always reported the truth in my books?
Yet now you treat me as were I a liar!
I command you: Burn me! "
Bertolt BRECHT
Poem titled "The Bookburning" (Die Bücherverbrennung)
German dramatist and poet (1898-1956)

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
Joseph Alexandrovitch BRODSKY
Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

"Don't join the book burners. Do not think you are going to conceal thoughts by concealing evidence that they ever existed."
Dwight David EISENHOWER
American general and 34th President of the United States (1890–1969)

"Every burned book enlightens the world."
Ralph Waldo EMERSON
American poet and essayist (1803-1882)

"What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books."
Sigmund FREUD
Austrian psychiatrist (1856-1939)

"... the military don't burn books any more: they sell them to the paper manufacturers. The paper companies shred them, pulp them and put them back on the market for consumption. It is not true that Marx, Freud or Piaget are unavailable to the public. In book form they are not. But they are in the form of serviettes."
Eduardo GALEANO
Uruguayan writer, story-teller, journalist and historian (1940-)

"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."
Heinrich HEINE
Almansor: A Tragedy, 1823
Used as inscription on memorial at Dachau concentration camp
German poet (1797-1856)

"Books that you may carry to the fire, and hold readily in your hand, are the most useful after all."
Samuel JOHNSON
American clergyman, educator, and philosopher (1696-1772)

"There were many beautiful books, but as they contained nothing but superstitions and falsehoods of the Devil, we burnt them."
Diego de LANDA
Bishop of Yucatan

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

what church?

Post by Tiahaar » Mon May 03, 2004 10:11 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:What the FUCK is with these religious overtone themes?"
Easy Captain, there's spiritual then there's religious and the latter doesn't necessarily imply the former nor vice-versa; our life-force and how it ties into universal energy seems a very appropriate thing to explore and celebrate, yes?
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon May 03, 2004 10:29 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:What the FUCK is with these religious overtone themes? "Beyond Belief" followed by "Vault of Heaven"... then chowderheads suggesting we write a goddamm bible... yes, I get that it's just fucking around and not a serious bible, but like, forget the god damn pre-historic science fiction - umm, I mean religion - bullshit already!
Fuck I hate that shit, who would want to pollute BM with any of that?!

O.K., off to mix up some Kool-Aid...
Last Real Burner wrote:Goddammit Captain!

shit,
mr smith
:lol:

KellY

Book burning

Post by KellY » Mon May 03, 2004 10:30 am

I had a wonderfully transgressive time Beltane '03 burning Rush Limbaugh's two books. For a liberal like me it was one of the most taboo acts ever, short of committing violence. It was a lot fun, and god damn I hate that fat fucking lying hateful demagouge.

Anyway, it was more of a symbolic act than anything else - God knows there are milions of more copies out there, and I certainly wouldn't say he shouldn't be allowed to write. I just wish the public was a bit better educated...
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon May 03, 2004 10:36 am

great post joel

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon May 03, 2004 10:45 am

Speaking of false prophets and book burnings, I found this on the other list:

Washington (Reuters) -

A tragic fire on Wednesday destroyed the personal library of
George W. Bush.
Both of his books have been lost.

A spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had not
finished coloring the second one.

More details to come.

Captain Goddammit

Re: Book burning

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 03, 2004 4:25 pm

KellY wrote: I just wish the public was a bit better educated...
The better educated the public is, the more it will agree with your much more enlightened book-burning point of view... right?

Ever hear of a club called American Select Society for Helping Others Less Enlightened?

KellY

Re: Book burning

Post by KellY » Mon May 03, 2004 8:40 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
KellY wrote: I just wish the public was a bit better educated...
The better educated the public is, the more it will agree with your much more enlightened book-burning point of view... right?
In this particular case, yes (though the book-burning was a deliberate exploration of breaking taboos and not recommended for daily activity). If Rush's adoring fans were actually educted, they might know when that fat bastard is lying to them. For instance:

In his book The Way Things Ought to Be (chapter 15), he states""We have more trees in this country today than when the Declaration of Independence was written." Actually, there are something like 120,000,000 less acres of forest in the U.S. now than in the late 18th century.

From the same book: "The worst of all of this is the lie that condoms really protect against AIDS. The condom failure rate can be as high as 20 percent. Would you get on a plane -- or put your children on a plane -- if one of five passengers would be killed on the flight? Well, the statistic holds for condoms, folks." So, have condoms failed all you readers one out of five times?

From his sequel, See, I told You So : "There are more American Indians alive today than there were when Columbus arrived or at any other time in history. Does this sound like a record of genocide?" According to Carl Shaw of the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, estimates of the pre-Columbus population of what later became the United States range from 5 million to 15 million. Native populations in the late 19th century fell to 250,000, due in part to genocidal policies. Today the U.S.'s Native American population is about 2 million.

"It has not been proven that nicotine is addictive, the same with cigarettes causing emphysema [and other diseases]." (Radio show, 4/29/94) Do I need to comment on this one?

This is just a small small sample. The guy is a fucking liar, spewing out bullshit to advance his political agenda. So yes, I beleive if people knew how much he lied to them, they might be a lot liklier to question his rants about feminazis and and how so many people on wanted posters resemble Jesse Jackson.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon May 03, 2004 9:12 pm

KellY wrote: In his book The Way Things Ought to Be (chapter 15), he states""We have more trees in this country today than when the Declaration of Independence was written." Actually, there are something like 120,000,000 less acres of forest in the U.S. now than in the late 18th century.
I think he also said in the same setting that pollution was caused by too many trees and cow and pig farts.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 03, 2004 10:04 pm

I'm not cheerleading for Rush, but he lies a lot less than priests and rabbis, etc, do. So go burn a bible next time, it's full of whoppers.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue May 04, 2004 9:36 am

Rush has already pretty much been taken through the reamer.. just go read Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot (sorry if I'm rehashing previous posts here...haven't been following this thread.) I especially like the conversations with Rush's Fact-Checker.

Of course, the whole environmental "crisis" has pretty much been overstated and debunked anyway (refer to Penn and Teller: Bullshit, season one, episode eleven, I believe).

Incidentally, regarding the 'good book,' anyone interested in a course on how to be an old testament prophet? I can reproduce most of the'miracles' moses performed. Some of it is simple carnie knowledge, some of it is esoterica regarding the particular area.

Interesting to note the lack of etymological mixing that took place during the Hebrews' time in bondage in Egypt, huh?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

KellY

Post by KellY » Tue May 04, 2004 10:52 am

Ranger Genius wrote:
Of course, the whole environmental "crisis" has pretty much been overstated and debunked anyway (refer to Penn and Teller: Bullshit, season one, episode eleven, I believe).
I beg you pardon? Global warming doesn't exist? The Southern Polar Ice Cap isn't melting after all? No endangered species about to disappear forever (hey, I read that Rush did just announce that there are no endangered species in America just last March, after all)? No people getting sick from mercury exposure? No deforestation going on anywhere?
You can now see the hills of Hollywood through the crystal clear LA air?

Wow, I must have missed the headlines the day they announced that. Or was it only on Penn & Teller's TV show?

Maybe your definition of environmental crisis different than mine.

KellY

Post by KellY » Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I'm not cheerleading for Rush, but he lies a lot less than priests and rabbis, etc, do. So go burn a bible next time, it's full of whoppers.
Yeah, whatever. Now that I've made my point, you want to apologize for calling me an asshole in your oh-so-clever-way, instead of changing the subject?

By the way, myths aren't lies. Yes there's a problem when people start taking the story of Adam and Eve literally, but telling a story isn't the same as asserting to millions of believers that you have evidence that Hillary Clinton had Vince Foster killed.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue May 04, 2004 11:28 am

KellY wrote: By the way, myths aren't lies. Yes there's a problem when people start taking the story of Adam and Eve literally, but telling a story isn't the same as asserting to millions of believers that you have evidence that Hillary Clinton had Vince Foster killed.
MILLIONS OF SUCKERS, MILLIONS OF SUCKERS.

You are not going to be able to change anything by being mellow on the issues. You must be bold in a way that shakes things up so change can come about. MILLIONS OF SUCKERS.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 04, 2004 9:39 pm

KellY wrote:
Yeah, whatever. Now that I've made my point, you want to apologize for calling me an asshole in your oh-so-clever-way, instead of changing the subject?
Well, yeah... sorry, I get pretty opinionated sometimes, I bet I'd like you in person. That was a little over the top.

And about Rush, I'd like to remind everyone that he's an ENTERTAINER, nothing more. His job is to attract attention and an audience, so he can attract advertisers. He's a talented man, good at what he does.
Since I'm so obviously non-religious, I don't agree with all he says, I'm not a "ditto head" or anything... but remember, he's not a politician, he has no power, he's just a guy who knows how to get paid a lot for doing what we're all doing here, spouting opinions.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue May 04, 2004 11:01 pm

Rush and O'Riley are one and the same that way. :lol:

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 04, 2004 11:45 pm

Where's the "k" on the super plonker? It just goes ppplllloooonnnnn....
I feel incomplete, less than whole, lacking fulfillment...

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 05, 2004 4:45 am

yeah, I've been waiting for the right time to do it here. too much noise. it's comming soon.

So Captin,
Would you be intersted in doing the honers of starting the first chapter of the new Burning Bible ? :lol:

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 05, 2004 6:18 am

Jesus Christ, you sure know how to grease the squeakiest wheel!
Makes me wonder if people like me penned the original...

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed May 05, 2004 8:46 am

[drift]
Global warming doesn't exist?
No, it doesn't. You'd know this if you had ever even looked at the data. Next Question.
No endangered species about to disappear forever
No, they're not. In fact, the legitimate data indicate that less than 1% of existing species will become extinct in the next 50 years. The sensationalist numbers you hear about hundreds going extinct a day, or whatever the latest yellow journalism reports, are pigswill.
No deforestation going on anywhere?
True, rainforests are being cut down, but that's being done by starving subsistence farmers who are just trying to feed themselves and house their families. This is an economical issue, not an environmental one. In North America, however, there is as much forest land today as there was a century ago, thanks to good harvesting practices.
You can now see the hills of Hollywood through the crystal clear LA air?
That's a crisis? It's critical that you are able to see the hollywood hills? You've got to rethink your priorities.

The fact of the matter is, you don't see headlines about how the world isnt going to end, because it doesn't sell newspapers. Sensationalism does. I'm not advocating complacency, I'm simply saying that the case for an environmental crisis has been grossly overstated by a number of yellow journalists and some heinously flawed (and later discredited) environmental studies. The environment is actually improving on almost all fronts, and the few areas where it is still declining have slowed the descent considerably. Environmental activism has brought this about, and there's no need to stop now. We do need to stop Bush's administration and the EPA under Mike Leavit from undoing the good that has been done in the last thirty decades, but we are by no means in a crisis.

I would be happy to refer you to some credible resources, if you like.
[/drift]

Sorry about the drift, folks, but I couldn't let it go unanswered.[/quote]
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Wed May 05, 2004 8:59 am

Hate to correct a Genius but:
Ranger Genius wrote:
No endangered species about to disappear forever
No, they're not. In fact, the legitimate data indicate that less than 1% of existing species will become extinct in the next 50 years. The sensationalist numbers you hear about hundreds going extinct a day, or whatever the latest yellow journalism reports, are pigswill.
You don't have to look far to find species at risk of complete extinction. Take, for instance, the channel island foxes. Here's what the population has done in the last ten years or so:

There ARE hundreds of species at risk of total extinction on any given day. I'll show you my credible sources if you show me yours.

Ranger Genius

Error 404: conversation not found.

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed May 05, 2004 10:16 am

This discussion is not quite appropriate for the thread it's on, though I would like to pursue it. I'll start a new thread for my response.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed May 05, 2004 11:06 am

i think it a rather dangerous thing to state that rush has no power. Call him an entertainer all you want but the man is tapped directly into the brains of millions of folk who take his word for gospel. I suggest you look at the number of americans who are convinced we found WMD in Iraq over the past year to get a sense of what that kind of power can do.

here's a fun trip

http://mediamatters.org/items/200405020008

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 05, 2004 11:11 am

Thank Ya Genius! <Hands raised in the air>

Now can we get back to whether the Captain will start the new Bible?

Enquiring minds want to know. Image

Ranger Genius

New Bible

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed May 05, 2004 12:05 pm

The New Bible? I can see it now. Massive consumer backlash. Captain finally relents and re-releases "The Bible Classic," which sells even better than ever before.

Return to “Stories”