Burning Man Novel Published!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Pulpracer

Burning Man Novel Published!!!

Post by Pulpracer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47 am

I know I risk being flamed for this (you know, commerce and such, but believe me, I'm not putting in orders for the Bentley just yet) but I'm just so dang excited about it that I had to post this.

Some of you may know that a few years ago I wrote a short novel that takes place at Burning Man (most of you probably don't). I made copies of it and gave it out to my Burning Man campmates and a few other people as a playa gift. I kind of thought that's where it would end, but not so. Over the last few years, I did some re-writing on it and Wild Shore Press, a small press over on the other coast (and run by Burners) has published it. It's available on their website (http://www.wildshorepress.com) right now as an e-book download or as a regular printed up book.

It gets a touch racy at points, so those of you with delicate eyeballs may want to hold out for the Reader's Digest version.

I also want to take a brief moment to thank my good friend Joel for the excellent work he did in helping me with this. (I could have waited for the inevitable award show to do that, but I have a feeling he'd prefer I do it now rather than wait weeks or months like I did with the swag I promised him.)

Oh and just in case anyone is interested, the movie rights are still available. You know, just in case.

Yeeeeee--Haaaaaaaaaa!!!

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm

What's the title?
Are you Tay?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:43 am

Was it "The Man Burns Tonight"? If so, on page 24 you mislabled Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. Why I oughtta...

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:11 pm

What'd he call it?

Anatomically Improbable Plastic Figurines Und Cheep Table Wine Conzentrazslager?
Fight for the fifth freedom!

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:21 am

actually you took longer to push it here than i thought, i was expecting it some time ago.

but who knows if you are going to get flamed for it, hell man, its not like you understand that this place tries to be a commerce-free-zone, or care.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:24 pm

gyre wrote:What's the title?
apparently, THE GIRL WHO TRIED TO CATCH THE MAN

Pulpracer

Post by Pulpracer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Hey all,

Yes - sorry, it is "The Girl Who Tried to Catch the Man." Forgive me, I wasn't really trying to pimp it here, I was just kind of excited. And YES - I did used to go by the handle "Tay" here, but long since abandoned/ forgot the password and email and all kinds of stuff.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 pm

This story had the best description of art at burning man that I have seen yet.

"They create because they need to create. They create for the immediacy of creation and are content to let their creations drift away in the smoke and ash of eternity."

It was available free online until recently, in full, and the notice of the blogspot was posted by the author on eplaya.
Tay, I think you should keep a large part of the story posted to interest readers.

I like the story, but I don't find it very cheery.
I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction for new burners.
I found it very evocative though and have ended up rereading it.

There's a line near the end about a girl:

"......I shivered remembering Angelique sitting at the edge of darkness listening to us play. "

Return to “Stories”