Costumes and other Outfits

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
K1tten

Costumes and other Outfits

Post by K1tten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 pm

First year -> saw footage of one of the fashion shows.

I was just wondering, Is it expected or rather common for people to dress like that everyday? If so I mean... what's cool to wear? :oops:

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:03 pm

BM is full of surprises.

At Burningman I have seen:

Stormtroopers
A clockwork orange Dregs?
Sandpeople
Wookies
Bigfoot
Ravers
Goth
Vampires
Nude Dudes
Nude Chicks
Shirtcockers
Wizards
Clowns
and every custom mix of insane and impossible awesome costume.

Anything goes.

have fun

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Don't worry about what is "cool". Wear whatever YOU like. If you're acting, then wear a costume, if you're just going out, wear what you'd wear if society didn't push arbitrary fashion standards on you.

Expect very hot and very cold weather. Make sure your skin is well protected from the sun. Also bring very warm nighttime clothes. The goggles you see aren't a fashion statement, they are to keep you sane during dusty periods. They will be an important part of whatever you wear.

For me, I like to wear light colored, light material clothes during the day and a large brimmed straw hat. At night I usually wear an old military surplus coat. Those East Germans really knew how to keep warm. The only difference between what I wear there and on a daily basis is the hat and the goggles because I don't need those on a daily basis.

If you do a theme camp, you might want to wear a fitting costume for the times you're playing with campmates. Or if you want to go out as a purple headed pickle, make yourself a purple pickle costume.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:37 pm

I have a woman friend from the east coast who gave the friend she was bringing along for her first time the advise to hit the second hand stores and budget fashion outlets and get the cheapest most garish outfits that you think might be fun to wear. the “ it’s kind of cool but where the hell would you wear such a thing “ sort of stuff Burning Man is where you’d wear it. I have other women friends who put all their costume money into fancy lingerie and Brazilian wax jobs and that with boots is what they wear all week. It’s all up to you , you don’t need to do anything any different than usual but it can be fun. wouldn’t you like to see that god awful brides maid dress in your closet all covered in dust.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

wear whatever makes you comftorable. if there are outfits in your closet that you cant see yourself wearing anywhere but at home. bring them if you don't mind getting them destroyed. remember the playa dust is killer on fabrics. once it is in there it stays in there. especially with fur. i spent hours making many different fun furry things and the dust just got everywhere. this year i am doing the same thing though because that is what i love to wear.

just be who you want to be and wear what you want to wear. no one will judge you either way.

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Kitten, this will be my first burn and I plan on using my body/clothing as my art. I am not very outrageous in my everyday dress well not usually, ha ha ha so I am going to be super creative and dress in things that I would never, otherwise!!! Come join us and let your inner "fashion designer" come out!!! :D ha ha ha ha

K1tten

Wings

Post by K1tten » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 am

I ask because what I usually wear (occasionally) at home and around town are wings. I have two pairs- angel wings (Which have very well attacked feathers so they won't fall apart) and a pair of fairy/butterfly wings that light up. I like to collect wings because I love things that fly...it's kind of an obsession of mine. Anyway I just had to get rid of a bunch of my wings because they just got too old. I wanted to get more but I was just wondering if it's a common thing to see?

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:56 am

Do bring the light up wings but leave the feathers at home. Feathers are extremely hard for the clean up crews to pick up and they were heavily discouraged (banned) several years ago. The buffeting winds take even the most well constructed feather garb apart. You will see wings when out and about but not a huge amount. There will be a higher concentration near the esplanade and 10 or 2 where the really big sound art camp are. Dress your self in the way that you want to express your individuality and you will be just fine. Bring extra sunglasses and googles for sure. Be sure to incorporate the ability to carry water and a cup with you in your fashion choices. Light up things are encouraged for better see and be seen at night.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:45 am

Wings are way cool...make lots of them, but yes, leave the feathers to the birds! There is all kinds of stuff that can make wonderful wings out there.
MOOP definition: Matter Out Of Place!
Dont be a mooper.

Here's a costume that I took out my first year, was bad mistake I was in it and then out of it in 10 minutes...I dropped MOOP!
Pretty moop, but moop none the less.Luckily I had only worn it in camp for those 10 and was able to trace my steps to pick it all up.

Here's the mermaid!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Forget "cool"! This is burning man, wear whatever you like (including nothing at all). Who cares if someone doesn't like your costume? This is burning man, you are supposed to be different. Whatever you do, don't try and look like every other burner. Be unique, be yourself and you'll be loved.

When I plan my costumes, I don't even compare them to other burners' costumes (with the exception of El Wire ideas). I just wear whatever I think looks "cool" to me.

Also, don't think that you have to go overboard with costumes. Sarongs are enough costume to satisfy my tastes. Homemade robes are sweet too. I like the wings idea but it's nothing new (not to discourage you, please do wear your wings).

Basically don't worry too much about your costumes for your first year. Just make sure that any costumes you bring are specifically for day or night. It's about the comfort factor. Walking around in a fur coat in the 100 degree sun is not going to be comfortable for you but it would really be nice at night when it's 40 degrees.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Big tip -

Remember to make it playa proof.

Anything you drop, leave, or is blown off of your costume like fake fur, sequins, loose beads, rhinestones, etc. has to be picked up by someone else. 99% of which are volunteers not receiving much if any compensation. They do this so the event can simply happen.

later

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Wings are wonderful but make sure they arent completely coated in glitter.

If you are thinking of doing fur make sure you take a dirt devil to it before you leave to get as much of the moop fur off as possible.

I find myself going through and looking at things previous burners have worn so I can get ideas. Looking at the pics you will get millions of ideas for what you would like to do. The next fun part is sorting through them.

But if you decide to just be yourself please do. Make it an enjoyable experience for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

melancholy harlot

Post by melancholy harlot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Questions re feathers, because I've noticed some strong opinions on them:

I've a headpiece I've been slaving over and am dearly attached to. I know I've seen people, esp in the white procession, white pheasant head pieces and other feather creations.... I've sewn through the stems of each individual feather several times to attach them and then gone back over the seams with a glue gun. Any more advice toward making feathers workable on the playa?
"Since we don't know where we're going, we have to stick together in case someone gets there." -- Ken Kesey

K1tten

Post by K1tten » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 am

melancholy harlot wrote:Questions re feathers, because I've noticed some strong opinions on them:

I've a headpiece I've been slaving over and am dearly attached to. I know I've seen people, esp in the white procession, white pheasant head pieces and other feather creations.... I've sewn through the stems of each individual feather several times to attach them and then gone back over the seams with a glue gun. Any more advice toward making feathers workable on the playa?
Ya the same with me. I found that the ties already on my wings were weak and could break so I crafted (well.... took them off of an old bra) some and sewed them on. I also did the same for the stems of each feather on my wings. Then I did the shake test for five minutes and then tugged pretty darn hard on each feather and nothing came off.

Also: If they start to fall apart I will wear a new fresh pair. Simple.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:02 am

My Dear, it's ALL about FORMAL WEAR...

I myself brought THREE tuxes last year....A full dinner set, a heavy-weight wool, and a Bermuda Short Tropical wear Tux in lightweight linen.

not to mention my gucci's...

I swear to fucking god....just ask my camp mates...

there is NOTHING as delicious as Gucci's on the playa....NOTHING!
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 am

Some rambling devil's advocate thoughts:

Here's the thing with feathers ... of course some people take extra care with theirs and the item will not fall apart. BUT! That's not readily apparent at a glance. You're going to get grouches yelling at you, "NO feathers! Didn't you read your survival guide?" Or newbs who don't know you've gone through all that trouble, so they wear their loose crappy feathers because they saw this cool chick and she had feathers! Sometimes it is not the MOOP issue itself, but the appearance of MOOP potential. Things like pheasant feathers, or peacock, hold up better and are less of a concern than overall feathered wings.

And the dust changes feathers forever.

I had wings made from wire and purple tights one year and they got stolen. MyLarry has those rubbery Halloween gargoyle wings ... also had a pair stolen the same time as mine (an entire bag of coats and costumes, in a reno parking lot). I love the big dramatic fabric wings, they rock ... on other people, ha! If you're going to be using a hydration pack, consider how it would work with wings, I've seen packs that wear the wings not the people.

bring one very comfy schlub around camp outfit, something you can thrown on when the world gets to be too much and you need a break from everything. Comfort clothes, like jammies or a sarong. And a comfy throw-on goin' to the potty something.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:12 am

where is BC when you need him?

feathers made from colored duct tape. they look great and never come off
I will look for a picture of Big Cock he has a great design to make feathers.

please leave the real ones at home.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 am

Why is it that every woman thinks she needs to have feathers? WTF? Leave your feathers at home. Look, they wouldn't be banned if it weren't a problem. No matter what you do you cannot secure feathers enough. You WILL lose feathers and someone will have to clean up after your ass. Leave the feathers at home, I dont care how cool you think they look.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 am

My feather understanding is that feather boas are a big no-no...they shed no matter what. Actual bird feathers, well attached, of course, should be fine...they don't shed - the whole feather and shaft are really 'one' piece...It is true that playafied feathers will never be the same again. Sooo, No Boas, fer sure....and make sure sequins and glitter are sealed on to your clothes!!!

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 am

Actual bird feathers, well attached, of course, should be fine...they don't shed - the whole feather and shaft are really 'one' piece
I hate to be contradictory but have you ever been to a duck pond? If so, what was ALL over the ground there? I'll tell you, it's LOOSE FEATHERS. It's MOOP, just leave it at home.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 am

duct tape feathers...his tail feathers are duct tape also.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:04 am

You see, now THAT is creative!

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 am

his head is el-wire also looks great at night.

K1tten

Post by K1tten » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm

BitterDan wrote:
Actual bird feathers, well attached, of course, should be fine...they don't shed - the whole feather and shaft are really 'one' piece
I hate to be contradictory but have you ever been to a duck pond? If so, what was ALL over the ground there? I'll tell you, it's LOOSE FEATHERS. It's MOOP, just leave it at home.
DUCK'S PULL THEIR FEATHERS OUT!!! They shed them just as dogs and cats and many many mannnyyy other animals do. Feathers to birds = fur to cats.

of course this is away from the moop issue

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Horse Feathers! Duck Soup!

"Baravelli: Last week, for eighteen dollars, I gotta co-ed with two pair o' pants.
Wagstaff: Since when has a co-ed got two pair of pants?
Baravelli: Since I joined the college."
Frida Be You & Me

K1tten

Post by K1tten » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:51 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:Horse Feathers! Duck Soup!

"Baravelli: Last week, for eighteen dollars, I gotta co-ed with two pair o' pants.
Wagstaff: Since when has a co-ed got two pair of pants?
Baravelli: Since I joined the college."
um... wut? :shock:

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 am

mdmf007 wrote:Big tip -

Remember to make it playa proof.

Anything you drop, leave, or is blown off of your costume like fake fur, sequins, loose beads, rhinestones, etc. has to be picked up by someone else. 99% of which are volunteers not receiving much if any compensation. They do this so the event can simply happen.

later
Roger Dodger. And what is "cool" by day may become freezing late at nite.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:39 pm

K1tten wrote:um... wut? :shock:
Must be a quote from Horse Feathers. If you don't know what that is, you're culturally deprived and should research that and their other films. Think of it as preplaya research.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 am

Also - keep it bagged up until you need it.

madmatt

Re: Costumes and other Outfits

Post by madmatt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:53 pm

K1tten wrote:First year -> saw footage of one of the fashion shows.

I was just wondering, Is it expected or rather common for people to dress like that everyday? If so I mean... what's cool to wear? :oops:
Don't worry about looking cool. Especially if it's your first time, just bring clothes that will keep you warm at night and cool during the day.

Daytime - skimpy with lots of sunscreen (hat of course - straw or ventilated with holes to keep cool), or covered up to protect from the sun. Can't go wrong with flowing white linen type stuff. Kimonos are pretty and keep the sun off.

Night time - go to your local second hand store and find a fake fur coat and your in business.

ALSO!!! - there are numerous camps on the playa every year who specializing in doing playa make overs. (such as Kostume Kult). They actually have really great and usually idiotic costume choices.

:)

Return to “Stories”