Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 pm

(including the stupid kid - I call him that but he was actually 30...)

so, this "kid" that you speak of..

you want him whacked?

there is a mafioso theme camp this year....ask for Sammy "the Bull-Shit" Graveonu, he'll help you out.....word has it he has a good line on x too.
Frida Be You & Me

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:43 pm

Another sorry feeling one year (and didn't happen to me): Walking past some dome tents, happy & melancholy. Turn the corner to see an ambulance (a real ambulance, NOT a "flashy" lit art car :) ). Saw a gentle men on trampoline and paramedics trying to help out: Did a nasty hop and one leg between the springs touching the ground...springs had scratced/sliced all the way up the leg. That put a sour note on my afternoon :o
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

gidget

Post by gidget » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote: so, this "kid" that you speak of..

you want him whacked?
Thankfully I think he decided not to come back ever again... but if I do see his ugly mug on playa ... :twisted:
gidget is gadgety-good!

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am

awesome story - at least you go that out of it!

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:21 am

OMG!

mischterious

Post by mischterious » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:50 am

[quote="dr.placebo"]My worst Burning Man experience has not happened yet, but someday it will.

It will be the year I can't go.[/quote]

so very true. that is some real insight right there.
love one another, especially when its hard.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 pm

gidget wrote:...then the stupid kid took candy from a stranger and ended up assulting some guy with his own artwork.
Best. Sentence. Ever.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:49 pm

My first year I put out a solar oven with a bowl of soup. I went out to see the sites and when I returned someone or something had pissed in my soup. Also in front of my tent door someone or something had dumped a load. It sure looked human to me. I got some tissue and cleaned it up. I then pedaled on down to the Ranger spot to find out what I should do about it. I was told I should not have cleaned up the shit untill a ranger had looked at it, that it might just be dog poop. "Hummm", I thought. Anyway, I thought ," I'm not going to ask my neighbors, "Did you piss in my soup? ". So I took the not too discreet hint, and just simply moved my camp across town. No other problems of consequence in the last 5 years.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 am

We were camped less than 100 yards from Camp Yodel in 2004. As amusing as the yodeling is at noon, it's less funny when it's coming at you full-blast at 8:00 in the morning.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Got into Reno only to find out the fella driving me and camping with me needed a bunch of money to get his RV going. Shelling out money to later find out that it was for a shower that wasn't needed. Getting to BM and having the fuckwit hoard 200 gallons of water just for his own RV shower when I bought the drums rather than use the drums for a theme camp we were in that had a most excellent shower. Finding the kiddie pool behind the RV on the street so the frontage would be cosmetically appealing. This resulted in lots of pissing in the kiddie pool and dumping of other grey water. Having the guy flake out on my shrooms reserved for Fri and Sat as early as Wed refusing me in the back of the RV where my RSD pain meds were stashed. Finding out Wed afternoon that my pain meds were taken already since he ran out of his own on Tues and that I should just smoke weed for my nerve pain. Aforemtnioned fucktard left Thurs taking the most expensive shit I bought for this "co-op" like couches and a trialer and 5 55 gal drums etc and leaving me stranded. I wound up giving away my tent, cooler, food and a bunch of other gear and burning up most of my clothes in the car b q. Luckily I found a ride to Reno and made it home though there was a pool table from craigslist that I bought that someone else had to haul away for me.

Radical Self Reliance... I learned the hard way.

Dont trust anyone you haven't camped with or personally know well, even if they are related to a friend.

Oh yeah.. ESD isn't setup for meds.. if you have med needs keep them on you AT ALL TIMES! Do not allow anyone access to your meds.. especially if you have RSD or something else nasty.

I'm just glad I was camped with some righteous folks that helped me get sorted.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:30 pm

leaving!

sunn

Post by sunn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:24 pm

My first mistake was in befriending a virgin burner who got kicked out of her camp; there was a reason. By the third day of having her eat our food (and never offer to help clean up), lounge around all day, and then make snide remarks to the women when the guys weren't around, it was just too much. Oh, she also had a little stealing problem beside. After being in the med tent 3x in 24 hours for a medical problem, I was actually relieved when my s.o and I decided to leave early. Never thought I would want to go before the burn!
However, I have to remember that there were also many amazing people I met last year, offsetting one person who just shouldn't have come.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:15 am

One day after some steamy lovin' in the ol' tent with the Mrs, I reached over and grabbed the baby wipes tub to do some cleansing of the private bits...

.. turns out my darling also packed Clorox kitchen wipes ... with bleach.

ouch!

Intubater69

Post by Intubater69 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 am

Token wrote:One day after some steamy lovin' in the ol' tent with the Mrs, I reached over and grabbed the baby wipes tub to do some cleansing of the private bits...

ouch!
That made me turtle just thinking about that one........ :shock:
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:53 am

Token wrote:One day after some steamy lovin' in the ol' tent with the Mrs, I reached over and grabbed the baby wipes tub to do some cleansing of the private bits...

ouch!
So you dont get that fresh, cooling clean feeling from clorox wipes?

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 am

My worst BM experiences have invariably involved someone on a megaphone.

Actually not true. That's second worst. Worst would be hearing the guy who jumped of the Church of Mez tower thump on the playa. That was 2k I think.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 am

ouch!
Also not a good idea to fill a tub with champagne.
No matter how cute the other person is....

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 am

mdmf007 wrote:

ouch!
So you dont get that fresh, cooling clean feeling from clorox wipes?
Oh, it was tingly fresh for ~ a minute or two. That was the tricky part; at first it felt OK, just like a regular baby wipe, then the burn set in. The damage was already done before I even noticed.

I could describe the experience however it would be rather graphic. This is a family show, right?

Suffice it to say, there was much swelling (in a not good way) and irritation.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Before the Burn 2006 I was hanging out, with one of my favorite friends on Lake Berryesa...
His friend decided he wanted to go to the BURN with me-soooooo I canceled other plans to come home to BRC.
We rented a Van (I gave him 500 dollars toward van rental let alone all the food and booze I went in on and the gas there) Drove from Sonoma CO. Got there set up camp-lost my camp, found where I always camp and BRC buddies-moved camp over to their area.

He stayed two days and walked between the two camps; using their bathrooms-NEVER EVEN making to one of the portapottie or to the end of the street, or out to see the man or any ART or anything. So I come back from a bike ride and he is packed up and ready to go. (if I wouldn't have come back to camp right THEN he would have been GONE) I still have stuff in the Van (this includes money I have hidden in VAN) he is gonna leave me WITH EVERYTHING and NO RIDE his bike my bike coolers big water bottles.

I HAVE NEVER FOUND MY SHIT AND PACKED A VAN QUICKER IN MY LIFE.
I was soooooo glad to have him leaving. IN ALL MY RUSH thinking how I'm gonna store food and water. I forget the most important real world thing money. ( I like to mention here that I DON't have CC cards and never have-and the guy of course didn't find my money in van)

SOOOOOOO I have to find a ride back to life and don't have any MONEY TO OFFER FOR GAS. Had my ride drop me off at the Sac. train Station where I had to wait HOurs for my other friend to come get me. (I looked like I was homeless- all covered in dust with ALL MY stuff LOL)

ANd ya Know What SUCKS about the whole thing -is that GUY who left me went back and talked a bunch of shit to my other friends wife and now HE'll Never ever get to GO to Burning Man.
Lesson Learned

:D :D
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Barbie, the guy would have to have been a complete idiot to leave you. What an asshat. I can assure you we would never do such a thing. Hell, we're doing everything we can to keep you!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 pm

Ohhh Ken aka Dr Pyro your soooo sweat :)

He was like 70 years old and I should not have tried sooooo hard to talk my other friend in to going in front of him. (You know ya can get right before the BURN) And when he did say he wanted to go- I should have known better. Always go with your gut feeling about people. I just gave this guy a chance 'cause I THOUGHT HE NEEDED TO BURN. I was wrong and I've given up trying to talk people in to coming who don't want TO- 'cause they shouldn't go until they WANT TO GO 8) 8) 8)
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 am

Amen sister. There are plenty of people out there who have no business even contemplating going to Burning Man, and I am not referring to the "frat boyz" type (God I hate that term, so demeaning). I had an old girl friend from NYC and I told her about BM and thought she'd love it. Turns out she's violently allergic to alkali dust. Oops, my bad. And I have plenty of friends whom I love dearly but they would be your proverbial fish-out-of-water: intolerant of "weirdos", resentful of rave music and the non-stop whump whump whump all hours of the night, people who can't stand being dirty most of the time, lack of sleep, the heat, and on and on it goes. But of course Burning Man shouldn't be for everybody; what is, after all? I'm just glad it's for us!

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 am

Best: Arriving at our first burn at night, after hitting a dear on the Oregon/CA border and thinking we weren't gonna be able to make it at all because they had no radiators within a three-day order and shipping period...only to find the EXACT radiator we needed on a pile beside the paint shop in Lakeview, right where our van creaked to a halt. The first time we saw the lights of BRC that night, it was like something out of Hotel California.

Worst: Standing at the temple in 2005 with a bunch of New Orleaneans who were basically all in shock, listening to that self-righteous so-called Reverend fraud rumor-mongering about Katrina through a bullhorn about black people in New Orleans "being taken into concentration camps" against their will, while somebody's passing around a newspaper showing bodies floating in the river. NICE. The NOLA people on the playa were struggling with life-changing trauma and the realization that what they brought with them is probably all they have left in the world, and there are people up there spreading bullshit about concentration camps, Republicans blowing up the levees and every other rumor they could pile on those poor people. That's just what all those people gathered at temple needed to hear, I'm sure. I can't even describe how close I got to getting up there and stomping that tactless, clueless motherfucker.

...wow. That was kind of carthartic. I think I'll go have a cookie.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 am

Exodus, almost every year, but last year especially. I was pulling a small trailer and an over loaded pickup I thought my clutch would die at any moment, stop and go. Was so happy to arrive back in my driveway without incident. Was my first road trip with a trailer ever.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote: And I have plenty of friends whom I love dearly but they would be your proverbial fish-out-of-water: intolerant of "weirdos", resentful of rave music and the non-stop whump whump whump all hours of the night, people who can't stand being dirty most of the time, lack of sleep, the heat, and on and on it goes.
Hey! That's me you're talking about!

Marscrumbs, you should talk to the org about your experience and suggest a hold then go traffic arrangement.
Cars can be parked in line NOT BURNING GAS for a period until a space is clear and then that line can go and then the next and so on.
The creep then stop, creep then stop is not good for anyone.
And especially those towing trailers.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm

gyre wrote:

Marscrumbs, you should talk to the org about your experience and suggest a hold then go traffic arrangement.
Cars can be parked in line NOT BURNING GAS for a period until a space is clear and then that line can go and then the next and so on.
The creep then stop, creep then stop is not good for anyone.
And especially those towing trailers.
That idea is a great one indeed, but until they can stop the line jumpers from cutting into the moving line then it can't work. Think about the aner that happens in exodus.. It just blows my mind how fast people change when the get the I got to get home syndrome... They can't wait in line... It even happens trying to get into BRC.... Thread drift over, go back to topic now... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

worst experience

Post by TomServo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am

Burning Man 1999
My very first night on the playa, I had 48 hours of no sleep..due to anticipation..not drugs.. We had set up, and were out exploring..myself mostly nude..and drinking Natural Ice. Walking back towards 8:30 from the man, suddenly all the lights of the city were car headlights..I panicked, and somehow, lost my companions. While I made it back to the general 8:30 are, I was totally lost. I spent about 3 hours looking for my camp. When I finally found it, I collapsed. Woke up a couple hours later, to tremendous wind gusts.. all the frame pieces of my tent were coming apart...this is when I fell in love with duct tape..i wrapped the tape around each seam of the frame. Then ran off to the porta potties..naked and bare foot..bad idea.. The next morning, everything I "thought I knew about camping" was tossed out the window.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 am

Steven bradford wrote:My worst BM experiences have invariably involved someone on a megaphone.

Actually not true. That's second worst. Worst would be hearing the guy who jumped of the Church of Mez tower thump on the playa. That was 2k I think.
Megaphones are annoying, however I loved the soup advisory board, riding around the city yelling out soup recipes

scruffyboy

Post by scruffyboy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:38 am

BM 2008 why? cuz I'm not going this year :cry:

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:56 am

TomServo wrote:
Steven bradford wrote:My worst BM experiences have invariably involved someone on a megaphone.

Megaphones are annoying, however I loved the soup advisory board, riding around the city yelling out soup recipes

If what I said makes any sense let me know. It doesn't to me...

have had tons of bad experiences at BM..but then so do in life..

was really upset to hear about the two sisters killed en route to Burning Man...by the cashier at Verdi's gas station.. 2002?

Return to “Stories”