Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
lothos 1162

bm08

Post by lothos 1162 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 am

Fishy and Samsa Bee,remember if Rangers,Leo don't work seek me out(Fishy you know where I camp),I can "educate" these playa misfits.Lothos

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Samsa Bee wrote:Is "he was on a LOT of MDMA" an excuse??
Not really. In Nevada (and probably other places) it's illegal to have sex with someone incapacitated by drink or other drugs. It's true people do things on drugs that they wouldn't sober. But he was sober when he decided to take it (or take whatever drugs he took first.) If he knows that's how he behaves, then he should have not taken it or found a competant baby sitter.

It might qualify as a reason to forgive him and continue a friendship, with appropriate ground rules and if you chose that option.

How organized is your camp? Is there someone who could help you within it, maybe get him banned from it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Re: bm08

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:56 pm

lothos 1162 wrote:Fishy and Samsa Bee,remember if Rangers,Leo don't work seek me out(Fishy you know where I camp),I can "educate" these playa misfits.Lothos

((((((((((((((((((((((((Lothos)))))))))))))))))))))

Ah, you gave me the warm fuzzies.

Lothos is a great resource, but I want everyone to know that there are "channels" and that the people you meet going through them are likely to be sympathetic and helpful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Just wanted to add, if you came to Booby Bar, day or night, even if you had to wake someone up, we'd have done our best to take care of you. Taht means holding your hand while you talk to "channels," helping you find Lothos, helping you pack your stuff and move from the camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

studebaker hoch

Post by studebaker hoch » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Worst experience on the playa - assholes parking their RV's on our tents and running the generators all night. About two feet from our heads! WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR all night long. Gah.

We finally asked them to turn it off, but it was a real buzzkill. We'd had one of those boundary strings around what we thought was our space (about 6' away from the tents) and they drove over it as if it wasn't there. Then they all got out...and pissed on the ground. Their bumper was actually over our tent stakes and part of our fly, they came that close. Not near our tent, as seen from above..they were ON it!

bleh. That was in 2005.

Problem solved in all future years - we now take a 100' trash fence with 4' rebar supports and post our entire camp. Never had that issue again!
One playa, many worlds

mars

Post by mars » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:22 pm

I'd say it should have been a bad experience at BM when I arrived with a cold that turned into 3 days of laryngitis and a complete inability to talk and it being super painful just to swallow. Then, under the influence of nighttime cold medicine, I tripped over a chair and fell on a pile of rebar, making for nice, colorful bruises up and down my whole body. The next day, I accidently kicked a tire, while wearing flip flops, breaking my toenail about halfway down.

Yet, somehow, I managed to have the BEST burning man week i ever had!

And now, any year I make it through the week without a cold, seems like the best burning man ever. There's nothing like breathing dust and cold air when your throat is swollen, dry and painful.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Well, I thought it was a pretty bad experience, but not compared to some others I've read here. In 2007 someone in Reno told us about a short cut, that should have been our first clue, short cuts rarely are. He said it would take 45 minutes off of our trip.We took off with the truck and the horse trailer loaded with stuff and made a wrong turn onto a gravel road, rocks flying everywhere. We noticed an occasional Burner looking vehicle going the other way, but you know how when you get all jazzed up you don't really ....think. The next thing we know, we are back at the California STATE LINE!!! A man on a bicycle, that was riding to the Burn from SF, came along and pointed out the obvious to us, we were going the wrong way. So we had to turn the truck and this huge horse trailer around without going off into the sand at the side of the road. The guy on the bicycle, by the way, was a true Burner. One bicycle, a couple of knapsacks and that was it, all the way from SF. I think he was some kind of spirit being, sent to save us from ending up back on the Pacific Coast. I gave him a bagel and a bottle of really cold water and he was really happy. I admire him so much.

So, here comes this year, 2008, we are NOT going to take ANY fucking short cuts this time. Off we go from Eureka, loaded down over Hwy 36. 2 hours into the trip, the radiator hose blows off. Some guy comes by and says wrap a beer can around it and duct tape it real tight and it should get you to the next town. We had plenty of beer cans, but no water to refill the radiator. Ended up scaling this practically vertical bank with buckets to get down to the river to get water and bring it back up for the radiator....right through poison oak. Do you know how miserable poison oak is in the heat???? I do.

We went to six burns previously without any trouble whatsoever, the last two have been cursed by the playa gods. I don't know why, we pick up ALL the moop we see.

By the way, the beer can around the hose only worked for about 2 miles, it blew again, and a friend brought a new hose over from the coast. It seemed like a good idea though.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:54 pm

he forgot to tell you to open the radiator cap, or, really, really wrap it tight with duct tape, and, lots of layers.....
it works, but, only as above......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks for the info, we'll remember that. Even with all those occurrences, I just consider it part of the journey. If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Then there was the three hour wait in line, 10 cars back from the start, during the dust storm on Monday. You could either sit in the truck and cook, or sit outside and be sand blasted. People just brought folding chairs and ice chests full of beer out and had a little road party in the wind. It was great. When they finally started letting people go in it was like an Okalhoma land rush. All of it was great, just great. I think they should expand it to a 10 day event.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Karlene wrote:Thanks for the info, we'll remember that. Even with all those occurrences, I just consider it part of the journey. If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Then there was the three hour wait in line, 10 cars back from the start, during the dust storm on Monday. You could either sit in the truck and cook, or sit outside and be sand blasted. People just brought folding chairs and ice chests full of beer out and had a little road party in the wind. It was great. When they finally started letting people go in it was like an Okalhoma land rush. All of it was great, just great. I think they should expand it to a 10 day event.
thanks for sharing, I enjoyed hearing your story. Just goes to show, once again, attitude is everything!

oh...and if you help to setup a camp, you can get in early and stay late...it was 10 days on the playa for me this time around. Have to admit I did have one melt-down on wednesday, but it was over as quick as it came.

JK

Ginger

Post by Ginger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:50 pm

So 2008 was my first time and it was totally amazing. I didn't realize going in that I was going to find my natural habitat.

The thing that sucked was going to Ketchup. I love potatoes any way I can get them. To find fries on the playa was seriously heart warming. We waited in line for an hour and a half. It was kind of a bummer, but fries were totally worth the wait. As I got close to the bottle I realize why the line didn't seam to be moving. The girl handing them out was power tripping. She picked out people who were cool enough (in her eyes) to receive fries. She let cooked fries grow cold as she let the rest of us know just how cooler we weren't.

At first, I thought "well, she is being a part of something really cool." But then I realized that she wasn't doing anything to make BM a positive experience. The fry cook was. He was a nice happy guy who just wanted to feed hungry burners.

In hind sight, I now think I should have not waited for the fries and I should have pinched her on her tit.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Interesting.

I've been to BM twice and I guess I've been lucky enough to not encounter that kind of behavior.

We also went to the Ketchup Bottle, but it was closed when we got there--didn't realize it was an evening only activity; maybe that was a good thing.

Anyway, welcome to eplaya and glad you had a good time at BM.

JK

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:41 am

Wow. I just had a bit of a reality check. Was camping with a burner friend this weekend and he said that on Sunday after the burn some people came by from an "RV camp" nearby, somewhere on 8:30.

The guy mentioned to him that they had the RVs arranged to provide wind protection and that there were spa tents inside where if you came in, they'd pedicure, manicure, whatevercure, give you a drink and take all kinds of care of you. Spent thousands of dollars and all kinds of hours on it, but nobody would come into their camp so most of the time there was nobody there but themselves, waiting and eager to participate. The RVs just blocked visibility or something, so nobody knew the camp was even there.

That was one of the the "dark wall of RVs" that some of us have been talking about. I'm almost positive I was right there when the guy was talking, but, didn't connect the dots that he was from that camp. If it was him, he gave me a bag made of unbleached cotton that had the man stitched on it. A gift bag.

My worst Burning Man experience might be not saying "hey, neighbor" to somebody who truly wanted to participate.

-chris
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 am

Signage!!!

Some places on the small streets have barkers and give out cards and do other promotional stuff.
RVs make a great place to hang signs too.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 am

Leaving afterwards....on tuesday
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

mars

Post by mars » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:11 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:Wow. I just had a bit of a reality check. Was camping with a burner friend this weekend and he said that on Sunday after the burn some people came by from an "RV camp" nearby, somewhere on 8:30.

The guy mentioned to him that they had the RVs arranged to provide wind protection and that there were spa tents inside where if you came in, they'd pedicure, manicure, whatevercure, give you a drink and take all kinds of care of you. Spent thousands of dollars and all kinds of hours on it, but nobody would come into their camp so most of the time there was nobody there but themselves, waiting and eager to participate. The RVs just blocked visibility or something, so nobody knew the camp was even there.

That was one of the the "dark wall of RVs" that some of us have been talking about. I'm almost positive I was right there when the guy was talking, but, didn't connect the dots that he was from that camp. If it was him, he gave me a bag made of unbleached cotton that had the man stitched on it. A gift bag.

My worst Burning Man experience might be not saying "hey, neighbor" to somebody who truly wanted to participate.

-chris
That was the American Beauty Camp on 8:30 and Allante, I think. At first i thought it was going to be some kind of grateful dead (american beauty) camp, but since i never heard music, I realized it wasn't.

I later heard there was a "Beauty Shop" in there, but it just looked so private and imposing with all these huge rv's enclosed in a square, that i was never moved to stop for a visit, even though i lived just up the street and went by there a hundred times.

In another area, I saw a big dance stage that never seemed to be used. Loud music every night, but no one ever there...I think that would be my worst burning man experience ever...to bring a huge party set up and have no one come.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

That's kinda how our camp was. We were at 2:00 between emerald city and Nexus, down the street from Opulent, so we did get traffic thru, and the bar was busy most nights, but way less people then i was expecting.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:34 pm

mars wrote:
ZaphodBurner wrote:...
That was the American Beauty Camp on 8:30 and Allante, I think. At first i thought it was going to be some kind of grateful dead (american beauty) camp, but since i never heard music, I realized it wasn't.

I later heard there was a "Beauty Shop" in there, but it just looked so private and imposing with all these huge rv's enclosed in a square, that i was never moved to stop for a visit, even though i lived just up the street and went by there a hundred times.
That's the one! At one point they had some total hotties doing topless playa gymnastics on the corner. We were kitty-corner from them on 8:30/Bonneville so at that point nobody was looking at the RVs. To find 8:30 at night from the playa, you just had to aim for the dark spot. My campmates said that the people were really nice, but by the time anybody met them it was already Sunday and everybody was tearing down. Previous to that, we figured that they just circled the wagons to keep the natives out...

I talked to a couple briefly and didn't realize that they were from that camp. I regard that as a failure on my part.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

grapes

Post by grapes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:39 am

Johnnie wrote: I waited for her for 27 hours.
Looking for her non-stop, day and night until I got completely
exhausted... I will never forget these 27 freaking hours...

She did not come back.
I finaly left, feeling like CRAP, thinking that she could be in
trouble and that I could not do ANYTHING to help her...
Trying not to think how she can possibly get back to LA without
any of her things...
that blows man. My story pales in comparison to yours, but I find it strange that I had a very similar thing happen to me on the same day.

we were supposed to leave at noon, the plan was firmly established the day prior. on Sunday morning we woke up to find one passenger missing...and so we waited...and tore down camp...and waited...and packed up all his crap..and waited. and started getting worried, and checked all med camps (took forever), ranger stations, twice. eventually we went to BMIR and had them put out a bulletin.

this guy was fairly reliable too, so after sunset it got to that point where you're feeling equal parts worry and anger, you just don't know which emotion to embrace b/c you don't know WTF is happening to your friend.

at 9 something pm he stumbles in out of the dust wearing what looks like a gorilla suit without the head, hugs his S.O. who is now crying out of relief, gets in the car, and shuts the door.

nobody talked the entire drive to Reno, where they dropped me off at the airport.

still not sure what happened to him out there...I"m thinking maybe somebody slipped him a mickey? but hey...at least he wasn't hurt or worse, right? looking back on it i'm only irked because if we were going to stay until Sunday night I would've liked to see the temple burn..
What we provide is an atmosphere... of orchestrated pulse which works on people in a subliminal way. Under its influence I've seen shy debs and severe dowagers kick off their shoes and raise some wholesome hell. ~Meyer Davis

grapes

Post by grapes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:41 am

I'm sorry, did somebody say total hottie topless playa gymnastics?
What we provide is an atmosphere... of orchestrated pulse which works on people in a subliminal way. Under its influence I've seen shy debs and severe dowagers kick off their shoes and raise some wholesome hell. ~Meyer Davis

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Worst Experience

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:26 am

Misti wrote: When we stopped spotting other burners on the drive home and started getting those looks.. the purse clutching, door locking, hide the children looks at the gas station instead of the knowing smiles we got earlier.
Misti, I sure know what you mean. Driving to the burn we were all geeked and then we started seeing other burners, Yeah! We came from the Detroit area and started seeing people around the Omaha area. Driving home was like coming down from a great buzz :lol: and seeing other burners helped keep a little connection to the burn, but eventually they began to fade away.
The looks from non-burners? Priceless, of course it didnt help that we didnt bring enough clothing for the return home and were starting to smell a bit gamey even with showers at the hotels :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, it was last year, 2007. We had two young guys with their girlfriends camped behind us who came with nothing...nothing. We weren't even out of our truck before they were there panhandling bikes and glow sticks and anything they could. They continued to hang around all week and eat at our camp, drink at our bar and try to pilfer our costumages. Anyway, the big dust storm of Friday. Everyone in my camp left to go to Critical Tits and I stayed behind to start dinner. I was going to start the meal with cold vichoisse (sp?) I was having the best time, standing at the Coleman in the mess tent, stirring chicken broth into my sauteed leeks when I heard this sound like a bomb going off and in about three seconds a HUGE gust of wind hit the tent and all I could hear was fabric ripping, I couldn't even see anything INSIDE the tent. That went on for a few minutes and when it cleared by vichoisse was a pan full of mud. I looked up and there was one of the guys standing there and he says "We're out of food, can you cook breakfast for us in the morning?" At that point my good nature fled and I ripped his head off. I stepped out of the mess tent and looked to where my tent was previously standing and it was GONE.... I looked around behind the mess tent and it was entirely wrapped around a car parked behind it. All this time the wind was still blasting. So I did the only thing I could do, I opened another bottle of champagne and took it and a chair into the horse trailer and just sat sheltered in there and watched the whole thing blow around.

It was great.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:21 pm

So Karlene - I can commiserate with you heres my worst experience with 2008.

My buddy calls and asks if his new GF coming with us is a problem, I said NP, and gave her a copy of the survival guide and a couple of DVD's of our previous trips to BM.

So we stop at her house on the way and pick her up and all she has is a school backpack sized bag - and thats it.

She knew we were stopping at a couple of stores - so I figured that she was going to do what a lot of newbies do, and buyout WalMart, boy was i wrong. We get to BM and she still has nothing. She drinks everyones booze eats everyones food - even though I told her that there was a 75.00 dollar buy in and that it had closed A MONTH AGO.

So like the typical newbie that is clueless she is trashed about an hour after arrival staying that way for the entire week getting 2 IV's. Her method was hitting on every guy that has anything she needs. She comes by once in a while to eat and thats about it or dig through our stuff for supplies.

It gets better - So she comes up to me one day after I work 24 hours straight and am tired hot and dusty and waiting for my turn to take a shower in the community shower, with the water I brought. She looks at me and says,

"how do i get a shower?"

"Find water and simply fill the pump with water I said to her. I thought it looked pretty self-explanatory.

"WIll you help me?"

"No - your a big girl - just find some water"

"its heavy......waaaaa.........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... boohoo..."

I am pretty pissed at this point, and then she has the audacity to tell me.
"WTF - No one told me I needed to bring water...."

I explained that its all over the website, in the survival guide, and we TOLD you at every stop. "I thought you were getting me water too.

So it all snowballs downhill from there, I explained to her that she had no problem finding pills, drugs, and booze - so why not water. She also was begging for a ride to Reno on sunday as she did not make arrangements. (Even though we told her from the getgo to do so - we dont leave until tuesday after the event.)

I asked her if she made lots of new friends when she left (leaving her garbage for us) "yes"

My final words to her "good, you can camp with them next year"

My buddy and her broke it off at BM as well.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:00 am

mdmf007 wrote:So Karlene - I can commiserate with you heres my worst experience with 2008.

My buddy calls and asks if his new GF coming with us is a problem, I said NP, and gave her a copy of the survival guide and a couple of DVD's of our previous trips to BM.

So we stop at her house on the way and pick her up and all she has is a school backpack sized bag - and thats it.

She knew we were stopping at a couple of stores - so I figured that she was going to do what a lot of newbies do, and buyout WalMart, boy was i wrong. We get to BM and she still has nothing. She drinks everyones booze eats everyones food - even though I told her that there was a 75.00 dollar buy in and that it had closed A MONTH AGO.

So like the typical newbie that is clueless she is trashed about an hour after arrival staying that way for the entire week getting 2 IV's. Her method was hitting on every guy that has anything she needs. She comes by once in a while to eat and thats about it or dig through our stuff for supplies.

It gets better - So she comes up to me one day after I work 24 hours straight and am tired hot and dusty and waiting for my turn to take a shower in the community shower, with the water I brought. She looks at me and says,

"how do i get a shower?"

"Find water and simply fill the pump with water I said to her. I thought it looked pretty self-explanatory.

"WIll you help me?"

"No - your a big girl - just find some water"

"its heavy......waaaaa.........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... boohoo..."

I am pretty pissed at this point, and then she has the audacity to tell me.
"WTF - No one told me I needed to bring water...."

I explained that its all over the website, in the survival guide, and we TOLD you at every stop. "I thought you were getting me water too.

So it all snowballs downhill from there, I explained to her that she had no problem finding pills, drugs, and booze - so why not water. She also was begging for a ride to Reno on sunday as she did not make arrangements. (Even though we told her from the getgo to do so - we dont leave until tuesday after the event.)

I asked her if she made lots of new friends when she left (leaving her garbage for us) "yes"

My final words to her "good, you can camp with them next year"

My buddy and her broke it off at BM as well.
Some people are just so effing clueless. Let's all hope she does'nt procreate. :roll:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 am

Sail Man wrote: Some people are just so effing clueless. Let's all hope she does'nt procreate. :roll:
Unfortunately, those are always the ones that breed like rabbits. :cry:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:53 pm

jkisha wrote:
Sail Man wrote: Some people are just so effing clueless. Let's all hope she does'nt procreate. :roll:

JK
funny how it seems the people that shouldn't procreate are the most prolific..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:15 pm

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK
funny how it seems the people that shouldn't procreate are the most prolific..........
Did you ever see the movie "Idiocracy"?

[youtube][/youtube]

I think it hits the nail right on the head and is definately worth renting.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:23 pm

seems Orwell would have picked that up.............

unfortunately, that may be the case.
Not only is society stratified into social and economic classes, I really think by intellect, as well.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:32 pm

ygmir wrote:seems Orwell would have picked that up.............

Not only is society stratified into social and economic classes, I really think by intellect, as well.........
I think it is intellect that causes the seperation of both social and especially economic classes.

JK
JK

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:34 pm

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:seems Orwell would have picked that up.............

I think it is intellect that causes the seperation of both social and especially economic classes.

JK
d'.....yuh.........mmmeeee dddooooo...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Stories”