Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:37 pm

So I guess we agree that it's the smart people that create all the problems.
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:15 pm

jkisha wrote:So I guess we agree that it's the smart people that create all the problems.
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

JK
I might say it's the people that think they are smart.........pseudo-intellectuals as such..........

really smart people tend to see how to make any situation work.........and of course, sometimes it's the problems that work best for them..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:33 pm

This thread has taken a wierd classist turn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 am

huh?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:18 am

ygmir wrote:huh?
I'll see that "huh?" and raise you one: "HUH?" Classist?

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Zamfir2

Post by Zamfir2 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:24 am

classist
One entry found.

Main Entry: class·ism
Pronunciation:
\ˈkla-ˌsi-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1842

: prejudice or discrimination based on class
— class·ist \ˈkla-sist\ adjective

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 am

Zamfir2 wrote:classist
One entry found.

Main Entry: class·ism
Pronunciation:
\ˈkla-ˌsi-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1842

: prejudice or discrimination based on class
— class·ist \ˈkla-sist\ adjective
Yes zamfir, we know what 'classist' means...we just don't see how it applies to this thread. Now just go back to playing with your flute, and don't bother the grown-ups. :lol:

Oh, and since I see this was your first post--welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK

Zamfir2

Post by Zamfir2 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 am

jkisha wrote:
Yes zamfir, we know what 'classist' means...we just don't see how it applies to this thread.
Maybe it was this post:
ygmir wrote:Not only is society stratified into social and economic classes, I really think by intellect, as well.........
Or this one:
jkisha wrote:I think it is intellect that causes the seperation of both social and especially economic classes.
No time for the flute today - I have to go to work just like grownups do . . . :roll:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 am

Simple answer to the original question (what's your worst BM experience?):
Paying for it all.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:05 am

Zamfir2 wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Yes zamfir, we know what 'classist' means...we just don't see how it applies to this thread.
Maybe it was this post:
ygmir wrote:Not only is society stratified into social and economic classes, I really think by intellect, as well.........
Or this one:
jkisha wrote:I think it is intellect that causes the seperation of both social and especially economic classes.
No time for the flute today - I have to go to work just like grownups do . . . :roll:
OH, never mind. :oops: :wink:

JK
JK

betrdanevr

Post by betrdanevr » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:06 am

Zamfir2 wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Maybe it was this post:
Or this one:
:wink: :wink:

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Simple answer to the original question (what's your worst BM experience?):
Paying for it all.
Leaving for home :(
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Digital-Dragonfly

Post by Digital-Dragonfly » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:38 pm

heading back to the default world... :cry:
"and your pleasure will likely exceed your misery.".... Ugly Dougly

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 pm

wheres the other horror stories? there had to be more?????

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:44 am

oh, horror stories..........

at a point, I was under a jungle gym type contraption, talking, when I happened to look up, and a beautiful, nude, young woman was crawling right above us..........I swear:

" I've seen the face of Satan"

shuddering...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:39 am

The reason we continued to care for this group of losers for the week was that they had two young girls with them, legal, but young. They apparently had no idea what they were getting themselves in for because they sat in the car most of the week in a state of shock while the two guys took off and left them there. The girls were very well mannered and deeply appreciative of our help. The guys seemed to consider it our duty. The day they left the 4 of them got into a big fight you could hear all over the place. People from the neighborhood were coming over to our camp to get away from the drama. Then there was this guy camped across from us, over in walk in camping, who also had nothing to eat or drink, and he glommed on for the last few days. When he finally left, he just walked away from his camp and hitched a ride out. Left everything, his tent, his clothes, his back pack, everything, just left it all there. We like to stay on the outer ring, across from walk in camping, because it is quieter and more of a neighborhood feeling than closer to the Esplanade. That year we got in the midst of a bad scene. This year was excellent, prepared people. I was thinking maybe the fact that there was no sale of tickets at the gate that kept some of these un prepared people out.

ism

Post by ism » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Stumbling into a Porto-potty at night, desperately trying not to piss myself. Getting Mr. Winky clear, the wonderful relief, familiar sound of fluid hitting plastic urinal, and then wet feet. Potty I picked had no stander in it.

Not all that bad, considering. Playa dust crusted pee-pee feet.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 pm

im sure this happened to a couple of ppl.

i had to pee really bad (REAL BAD)

finally get into a potty and realize like a wall of smell

i smell massive amounts of vomit on top of a really deep pile of poop

i had to wait for another potty

but thats the worst
I have post playa depression :(

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I missed a few years. :oops:

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I missed a few years. :oops:
likewise, darnit, like all the ones before 2003!!!

My biggest oh-oh moment was at the end of 2007, when adding coolant to the radiator of my old 1960 diesel rig. It always gets topped off before and after the trip to BRC. This time, instead of having greenish water come out the overflow pipe this brown sludgy stuff emerged...whattttt??? Turned out to be OIL. yikes. Well the engine was running fine when I got there, there was no water showing on the crankcase dipstick, so I drove it away. I figured if the engine went at least I'd hopefully be out on the blacktop and in range of my Good Sammy towing guys. Made it clear home 660 miles OK, turned out to be a cracked oil cooler core (whose replacement I have groused about here somewhere already methinks).
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:17 am

Let's see...

There was the year I had cancer, and everyone was wonderfully supportive. I was encouraged to share my story (they'll give you a pendant for participating!) and the fat drunk bitch in charge made me cry because "no one wants downers at Burning Man, go away, you're not fun."

justfred

Post by justfred » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:55 am

2008 Monday (before) all-day dust storm. Tore apart my shelter (plastic tarps suck, which I knew already, but), broke poles on my tent. Broke my spirit for several days. Sat in center camp for a few hours, could barely see 10 feet in front of me.

Meh, not all that bad.

I didn't stay for the Sunday (after)/Monday all-day dust storms.
What goes around, comes around.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 am

AntiM wrote:Let's see...

There was the year I had cancer, and everyone was wonderfully supportive. I was encouraged to share my story (they'll give you a pendant for participating!) and the fat drunk bitch in charge made me cry because "no one wants downers at Burning Man, go away, you're not fun."
Point her out to me, I'll kick her ass.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:51 am

Aw, thanks. I'd choose to knee-cap her, but ass-kicking is a matter of personal taste and individual style. If I hadn't been crying, I'd have taken her picture. Meanie. I don't think I'd recognize her, I'm bad with faces.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Point her out to me, I'll kick her ass.
:shock: :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

PavementBlues
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 am

My worst would be 2007, when I learned the "Be REALLY Fucking Careful About What Cup You Drink Out Of" rule by contracting strep throat on the playa. Let me tell you, with the dust and dryness and heat of the desert, you do NOT want strep throat. By the time I got home I was waking up at night, unable to breathe until I painfully hacked up large gobs of blood into the bathroom sink.

The worst, though, was on the way back, when we stopped to get Indian Tacos. It was our first year, so we had been eating some seriously SHITTY food all week, added to the fact that I had at that point been completely unable to eat even our shitty split pea soup for almost two days, and I had to watch my campmate and our friends across the table all scarf down those beautiful, steaming piles of nutrition. I honestly almost started crying.

I'll tell you what, though...I felt like a fucking GOD this last year when we stopped on the way back and I finally got to eat one. VICTORY MOTHERFUCKER.

Bluemandrew

Post by Bluemandrew » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 am

That's really really fucked up. What a fuckin dirty bitch.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:27 am

I'm not sure if this should be here or on the "bumper sticker" thread, but, here it is:

"my worst day on the playa is better than my best day at work".......

Plagiarization, I know, trite, sure, cliche, of course.....

but, still........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

joemomma

Worst eva..

Post by joemomma » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Ok,2008 planned for my 2nd time.. the first was fantastic....
I even read this forum....I plan on going by myself this year... planned out water and food, tent, cloths...subaru wagon.. researched the hell out on preparing on these forums.... this girl from my work, keeps begging me to go with her and her friend in his 30' winnebago..she doesn't want to go with him alone...
I cave.. going against everythign Ive read here.... but hey, the guy doesn't drink only gets stoned....
my first warning was when he asked us to get 4 gallons of carlo rossi "to make sangria to give out.. next warning is when we argued about how to park the camper.... ended up parking the door side to the south..frigging sun all day long!!
Then he tells me he is an alcoholic dry for 13 months and he's gonna "get fucked up"!!!!
Damn Dr. Jeckle .. nicest guy when sober,,,,biggest asshole when drunk..
Of course on the second day there, he screws up his ankle because he wouldn't park his bike on the side of the camper like everyone else, he just lays it down, steps on it and now can't walk.. unless he gets real drunk
Then he starts trying to play with those fire things while drunk and lights someone's tent on fire!
Then he meets someone who gave him way too much acid ....
Then his ankle hurt and he couldn't get to the shitter in the camper ..
Fortunately for him, some real good friends showed and carried him.....
Me..I spent most of my time at the 19th hole on the outer ring area.... got a ride home with someone else....
Ilearned my lesson ... never drive to BM with someone you don't KNOW!!!!!!!

Dr Dilemma
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Post by Dr Dilemma » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:31 am

When thinking about some of the crazier things that have happened and reading though the responses here, it just reinforces something I've observed: that the worse experiences end up making the best stories. I went up last year before the rest of our group with a friends boyfriend. We hadn't hung out too much before that so had no idea how we were gonna get along in a small enclosed space. We also made the mistake of taking along someone who had posted in CL for a ride. We knew we were in trouble when they were fall over drunk before we pulled out of the driveway. There were several dozen "check please" moments on the way. Drama drama, drama, wash, rinse, repeat ... when I was driving back to our camp after dropping off their stuff, the dust storm started. Yes, THE dust storm. I had to stop several times when the visibility got down to zero and when I finally got back, there he was, sitting with a towel over him, looking like Lot's wife post pillar of salt. All I could think was "oh god, I'm so gonna get it" when he stood up and an inch of playa dust rolled off him. He jumped inside. "Well" ... oh god here it comes ..."hopefully thats the last we'll see of Crazy McTalksalot". So now ironically we tell stories of the crazy ride up there as much as any other. He also told me later that as horrible as being out in the dust storm was, rather than taking days to get acclimated to the dust he pretty much was after that. Guess it was like diving right into cold water rather than getting in slowly.

Return to “Stories”