Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sat May 03, 2008 11:08 pm

jesus ripped me off, just some herbal caffine stuff he sold me as e.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun May 04, 2008 7:32 am

Exodus. The sheer stupidity of the people running Exodus that think everyone has to leave through the same exit despite the fact not everyone wants to go South on 447 when they need to go back East or North takes incompetence to a whole other level.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Queue

Post by Queue » Sun May 04, 2008 7:35 am

My worst experience was not seeing what was around me. So much beauty and love and I let it all pass me by as I walked looking for something that was not there, something that was in me all the time.

My worst experience was caused by myself.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 am

that is just way too zen for my taste...

the theme is AMERICAN DREAM.......no go have a bad experience and let it be EXTERNAL and NOT YOUR FAULT....

get with the program, commie.
Frida Be You & Me

DragginLady

Post by DragginLady » Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Definitely my worst Burning Man experience is NOT going there way before I did. My son had been encouraging me since 2000 to go, since he thought it would be right up my alley...
Took me til 2006 to get there; it happened I was not teaching that quarter, and my nephew and I went together...
Then last year I worked on the Temple crew... I had son, a daughter and two nephews also attend and we had a blast.
Not that we camped all together (who wants to camp with MOM, and who wants a SON around all the time)...
Maybe because I grew up in the desert of New Mexico, or because I have always been a bit different than those around me...
Burning Man just feels like home to me. I love it all.

evil chris
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Dustfish

Post by evil chris » Mon May 05, 2008 12:27 pm

last year was my worst experience at burningman.

i was sick with an ear infection pre event, then injured my collar bone during event week. i was extremely limited in my ability to get around because of the shoulder injury, so i missed a lot of exploration. i turned it around by working more perimeter shifts, and making myself as useful as possible. i still had a lot of fun, despite the pain and vicodin. i'll be more careful with myself this year.

on a side note, i don't think the theme will have any serious impact on my enjoyment of the arts, citizens, and culture of burningman.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Well that's very sporting of you, evil chris, how can you live with yourself? Get in a tizzy about something petty. It's the burner way!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Last year my fucking blender broke!
No margaritas! Nothing could possibly be worse than that! I'll bring a spare from now on.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Bluelatinsurfer

Post by Bluelatinsurfer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of water trickleling down the side of my tent,
Some Fucking douchebag was using my tent as a urinal.
Andres A.K.A. Menudo

DragginLady

Post by DragginLady » Mon May 05, 2008 8:11 pm

YUCK!!!!

Bluelatinsurfer

Post by Bluelatinsurfer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:18 pm

at least it was not number 2
Andres A.K.A. Menudo

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Bluelatinsurfer wrote:at least it was not number 2
You should have just punched him in the dick through the side of your tent -

that would be a story for him to tell - "the urinal punched me"

Bluelatinsurfer

Post by Bluelatinsurfer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:36 pm

I would off but i was too tired and stone
Andres A.K.A. Menudo

DragginLady

Post by DragginLady » Mon May 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Some menudo the next day mighta helped you out there!

Bluelatinsurfer

Post by Bluelatinsurfer » Mon May 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I found something better.
Whisky and beef jerkey!
Andres A.K.A. Menudo

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Tue May 06, 2008 10:31 am

mdmf007 wrote:You should have just punched him in the dick through the side of your tent -

that would be a story for him to tell - "the urinal punched me"
<spewing coffee from my nose>

That would have been fabulous!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

ChazmanianDevil

Not your typical "someone stole my bike" story

Post by ChazmanianDevil » Thu May 08, 2008 12:21 pm

2000, my wife and I attended. She was pregnant. She was trying to be a good sport, bless her heart. She was suffering from morning sickness and chronic back pain, which made riding a bike agony. I had strapped a pillow to her bike seat with duct tape, which helped. We were only there through Friday, to avoid the serious craziness. We were having a good time doing yoga, going to seminars like "non-violent communication", building hula-hoops, and nude bike rides. We were totaly grooving on all the positive and loving vibes of all the people we had met. Wednesday night while near center camp, she sang at a little Jazz Bistro with some great jazz musicians. We had locked our bikes at the center camp bike rack. When we returned, some [email protected]#$A%* had locked my bike to the rack with another lock. My wife continued to try to convince me that it was an accident. But there was no way. It was too well locked around my lock. It saddened me to the core that someone would be that malicious at B-Man. I was incredably frustrated. I needed to be able to get around with my wife to help her; carry her water (she was having electolyte and hydration issues), get her to a portalet, and the like. And we only had one more day to enjoy, and now it was going to be shot by having to walk great distances to get anywhere. I went to the bike guild to see if they had a bolt cutter. They were in the middle of a big production, but one guy did speak to me. He wanted me to come back the next day. I explained the situation and offered my backback with my essential posessions as collateral. He relented and let me use the bolt cutters. His generosity and desire to help me was the only consolation for the malicious act.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

That is malicious

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu May 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Last year was a bad bike year for us. Our first night out, my son's bike was taken. So, I let him use mine and walked the playa for a change. I met a few interesting people that way, but it still sucked. It was my own fault, I forgot the locks!!!!!!!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Sensei

Re: That is malicious

Post by Sensei » Thu May 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Clar-i-ty who is much too kind wrote:It was my own fault, I forgot the locks!!!!!!!
I'm sorry to interrupt the flow of bad juju stories, but I have to make a judgement call. Sorry, but it was the fucking thief's fault, not yours.

Now back to your regularly scheduled nightmares.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 09, 2008 1:09 pm

it's the bikes fault.....

it knows it wanted to be stolen, just ask it how many times it's been ridden...

Stolen, my EYE!
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 pm

i am so sorry.....forgive me....

"rode upon".....not "ridden".....my god where is my gramma?
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Your Gramma's in her grave, same as last year. Don't forget her roses on Sunday.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sat May 10, 2008 5:24 am

Wow hard core your right my grandma's been in her grave for a whole year over a year now ... 27 APR 2007 .... soooooooooooo ahhhh fucked up!!!! she begged for her LIFE... that US think about something ELSE yea it was the stupid fucking bikes fault yea thats right ( and I went to jail over it) Ya KnowN.... ohhhh I think I'm on the wrong thread.... RIP SYBIL PATTERSON and my best buddy Allison Grey...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat May 10, 2008 8:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Your Gramma's in her grave, same as last year. Don't forget her roses on Sunday.
NO, she is NOT !!!!

She is in Elko, NV....my mom and her husband live with her.

MOOCHES !!!!

(well, my mom is in a wheelchair, and her husband is so obese he is disabled, but that is no excuse, dammit. )
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

unanimoose

Post by unanimoose » Wed May 28, 2008 12:51 am

getting dumped two days before the whole thing last year.

It turned out to be a good thing.
because he is an ass and
I met the most amazing group of australians who ended up adopting me.

my first 24 hrs there were emotionally really tough though.
especially since it was my first time last year

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:02 am

Good for you Moose - lifes strange that way sometimes

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Also unanimoose-what better place to come to heal, make reconcilations, and find deeper understanding of self then a week of seeing so many folk/humanity help eachother build, express, and enjoy what it means to be a human being :D ? Sounds like the cure-all to any emotional stress. If I was a doctor of any kind, I'd prescribe them 7x days in the desert, taken annually.
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 pm

2007. My art was a big black pyramid made of shade cloth and steel rope, floored with live sod, and including misters for the first time. The misters made the grass too wet and we were having problems so we had to close her down each evening to keep folk off the grass and give it a chance to dry. We put a closed sign up, zip tied the door shut, and put a bench across that. And every night, someone cut or dug their way in anyway.

In and of itself that might not have been so bad. But one morning when I got up there were piss trails down every side the pyramid where the fools who had broken in climbed to the top of the tower and pissed off every side. It was very clear where the piss had hit the shade cloth and washed the dust off, down to the grass.

It was a pisser....;)

Ron

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 am

I liked the pyramid.
I took a kip there one hot day.
Very nice.

gidget

Post by gidget » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 am

'06. Our camp's 1st year as a registered theme camp. We got in the Sat. before, still setting up on Burn day.

The bikes hadn't been fixed before we went out so we had something like 2 working bikes in all of camp.

We had a virgin camper who got a little overstimulated and decided he was going to be our camp's "social director", then the stupid kid took candy from a stranger and ended up assulting some guy with his own artwork.

Everyone in camp besides my fiance and I went to the med tent at some point, one of our campmates had to be medivac'd to Reno. People kept on passing out or freaking out in front of our camp, so we ended up calling the medics or rangers several times a day.

Exodus - my fiance and I drive north back to OR, our campmates with the budget truck are driving back to Reno. We get home to messages that the truck broke down in the middle of nowhere, the guys from budget sent another truck with union movers who then broke all of our stuff throwing it into the new truck. The guys who were driving our friends car (including the stupid kid - I call him that but he was actually 30...) decided to leave our friends in the middle of nowhere and didn't even go to Reno to pick up the guy who was in the hospital. And we couldn't do anything cause we were already home.

And that's not even half the shit that happened.
Last year was better. Next year was better too.
gidget is gadgety-good!

Return to “Stories”