Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Seeing the car in front of me veer off the road and then roll over while leaving was really bad. But it could have been much, much worse. They were in shock but otherwise uninjured.

Prior to exodus, it's hard for me to think of really bad experiences. The only time I've been really bummed out or agitated was last year when I was in the midst of a contentious crowd waiting for the Man to burn, which was arguing about people sitting down/not wanting to sit down. Afterwards I talked to a friend of mine who watched the burn from way out on the playa and her experience sounded so much better. It's funny to me now that it didn't even occur to me to watch it from a distance.

flatlander13

Post by flatlander13 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:43 pm

This is Flatlander13 aka Scout13.....I started this string and here I am telling the worst experience I think any burner can have.......I’m not going this year. I had my ticket, made the art and was ready to go....then I go and get a different job. So after 14 years at a company that they don’t care if you dye your hair or have tattoos I went to a company where I have to wear long sleeve shirts every fucking day because I have visible tattoos......and worst of all my 5 weeks of vacation I had stored up went to 0 minutes.....

I think the worst part of not going is the fact that summer ended the day I accepted the job.....I have disconnected from the burn so I don’t get depressed.......

Enough of my complaining......I already have the dates for next years burn off.....once the Man burns this year my preparation starts......

You guys have fun this year....heres to dust in your crack........

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Flatlander, that sucks. I was interviewing for new jobs in late 1999, and didnt take one until they guaranteed me time off for Burning Man. Alas, the economy was a tad different then.

WORST: going out in daytime with shades, and not coming back until well after dark without benefit of my glasses. I got in a fight with my partner, so rode off in a tizzy without him only to find myself lost on the playa. It was after the burn and all the street signs had been pilfered, but I couldn't tell until I walked right up to each street sign to see if it was still there.

Some three hours later I arrive at my tent dehydrated, exhausted, and with my ample ass litterally turned into two blocks of ice (seriously, it took another two hours to thaw), and there was my man sleeping soundly.

Well you can imagine, first thing I did was crawl into the bag and plant my ass firmly against his backside. Hell hath no fury, etc.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

Marscrumbs

Take a number

Post by Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:47 pm

[quote="ibdave"][quote="gyre"]

Marscrumbs, you should talk to the org about your experience and suggest a hold then go traffic arrangement.
Cars can be parked in line NOT BURNING GAS for a period until a space is clear and then that line can go and then the next and so on.
The creep then stop, creep then stop is not good for anyone.
And especially those towing trailers.[/quote]

That idea is a great one indeed, but until they can stop the line jumpers from cutting into the moving line then it can't work. Think about the aner that happens in exodus.. It just blows my mind how fast people change when the get the I got to get home syndrome... They can't wait in line... It even happens trying to get into BRC.... Thread drift over, go back to topic now... 8) 8) 8)[/quote]

Mismanaging exodus is a burningman.org tradition. Why give them clues on how to make it worse.

Lo

Post by Lo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:58 pm

I love this thread. Not being able to go is indeed a really disappointing experience. I've had that happen as well as leaving for medical reasons and not being able to come back that year. But once it's over, you realize it was indeed a survivable mishap, and that BM happens every year, bless its heart.

tattooedchica

My worst burn was to be my first

Post by tattooedchica » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:02 pm

08 was to be my first burn. The beginning of August, I ruptured my Achilles tendon. Surgury was scheduled and now I'm recovering and missing my first brun.
The worst part... the boyfriend, we're living together, left without me. Now, I'm in the care of my parents because I'm basically on bed rest. The boyfriend is on vacation without me.
I would say in general that this is the worse experience of my life...

seelivemusic

Post by seelivemusic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:16 pm

tattooedchica,

you will get there when you can...I ruptured my Patellar tendon and was there 6 months after surgery. Granted my knee blew up like a motherfucker and I had a hard time walking but folks took pity on me.

Point is, I had a fantastic burn this year, the dust storm on Sat sucked really badly, I still have dust in me.

PlayaliciousBliss

Worst burn experience

Post by PlayaliciousBliss » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 pm

These are actually pretty minor...

Having some stoned fucktard walk up, grab me and stick his tongue in my mouth next to the Man--in '04. Totally pissed me off--gagged and wretched for a while after that.

I was camped out in walk in and watched a plane crash land when the pilot was a wee bit too stoned to remember to put down his landing gear. MedEvac resulted. The worst part was that helpless feeling of having to watch it happen helplessly and not being able to get out there fast enough and then not be able to get over the fence to help.

'06 having to miss the event because of a custody hearing and SO went anyway without me. '07 SO went without me. '08 Soon to be former SO quit his job and went without me (someone's gotta pay the bills).

Gee, my life sucks. Maybe it's me.

Nah.

swingle12

Post by swingle12 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 am

Friday night, a large intoxicated man came into our camp and started talking shit. He eventually hit one of my campmates in the head. Eight of us swarmed onto him and held him down while others ran for help. The Brc Rangers and Pershing County Sherriffs showed up in force. Because my campmate told them he didn't want to press charges, the guy wasn't arrested. He did have to leave BRC immediately. His camp was torn down by his neighbors very rapidly. This man was completely irrational, his behavior resembled descriptions I have read of PCP users. One thing that amazed me was how patient and non-confrontational the rangers were with this man. In hindsight, it was probably a good approach, but at the time it felt like everyone was much more concerned with how this asshole felt than they were with how the person who had been assaulted was doing. Medical personnel were called, because the dickhead was screaming his wrist was broken when the sherriffs had him in a submission hold. They spoke to my campmate and said he must be fine because he wasn't disoriented. In all, I was amazed the man wasn't arrested just because of the way he resisted the officers. They put him in his truck with his girlfriend driving and sent them off. I felt he really needed to be restrained overnight for everyone's safety. It really put a damper on our evening, but we were back at it the next day.
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. "
Oscar Wilde

carn1fex

Post by carn1fex » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 am

Having a great vibe crushed this year by my drunk asshole older brother who when trying to hitch a ride to opulenent temple friday tried to instigate a fight with the bouncer of the art car over who said he liked paul okenfold more than carl cox. I literally had to hold him back while he swung. Sounds funny in retrospect but wasnt when spending the next 4 hours trying to contain him while he huffed and puffed at everyone. arg.
fnord!

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Wah Wah Wah Wah,

Oh you poor burners with bad experiences. Yes, i may have had an "issue" or two. Bottom line, you were fuckin there. Dig? YOu were part of the experience. Gettin it now? My worst, and I mean worst, was this year. I didn't go. 2005: missed that one too. If you got hurt, mamed, raped, or otherwise, yes; that sucked big time. I am sorry for that. We just gotta keep going till we get it right. Just breathe deep and say....I was THERE!!!!! Now, get over it. Lets not put our playa gear away just yet. We got 2009 to think about.

Love you all. Sorry we didn't get to dance together this year. I would've done anything to see your smiling faces; dusty and all.

Still Burnin,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!

RedheadBarbie

Worst Experience

Post by RedheadBarbie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Most suprising...getting rear ended.

While waiting in the line before the gate...right before the storm Monday...It was perfectly clear out...had been in the same spot for 5 minutes.

Most funny...getting rear ended...and seeing one of their group wig out more than us.

Worst...realizing my first thoughts were like a pissy commuter at 7am with a Monday hangover and no vacation time left.

Thanks for the beer guys!!

Misti
Burning Since: 2008

Worst Experience

Post by Misti » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:51 am

The worst thing we experienced was on the way there, driving in the dark there was a semi truck pulled over in the right hand lane with blinky LED warning lights flashing, so we switched lanes and did it just in time.. the driver of the truck was standing in the middle of the left lane in black clothes and barely moved out before we hit him. it seemed like he took his time walking out of our lane.

Swerving and breaking hard with a fully loaded RV in the dark to prevent killing someone was a damper on our excitement.

While there I cant complain too much, there was the guy after the man burn who decided to piss in the hot ashes a foot away from where I was picking through for a momento, Or the guy who decided to walk up to us and piss right by where we were sitting for the temple burn.

The way that no matter how small the space in front of you someone will squeeze their naked ass and backpack in front of you, and the behaviour of a few people in the temple pre burn, it bothered me that some people were rifling through the items people left there, and there were people throwing rocks from above at people below in the dark.

I couldnt believe the amount of junk I picked up from my campmates area when they left, and seeing the smashed trailers broken glass and car parts and the burn mark on the drive home made me worry about the people driving them, and the sad moment when we lost the BMIR radio signal our last link to BRC.

When we stopped spotting other burners on the drive home and started getting those looks.. the purse clutching, door locking, hide the children looks at the gas station instead of the knowing smiles we got earlier.

The good times FAR out weigh the bad for me, it was way better than I expected it to be for a virgin burn, and I am already looking forward to next year.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 pm

The whole thing was a trial by fire..

The Mv never worked, broke a tooth, rolled a knee, bad replacment parts for the van, van stalled, injecter messed up, burned more gas, 14 hours for a 9 hour trip, wind refused to allow the shelter, first day white out wipe out, sand drifts charlied my legs every night,had to rebuild the trailer, van would power down to 5mph on any grade, generator light come on, slept over night on the ground @-24°F,and the van jumped kicked the rest of the way home.

Trying to stop my head from buzzing planing on the 09 trip.

See ya on the playa..

poisenloaf

Post by poisenloaf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm

This did not happen to me, but while bike riding back to camp one morning, I noticed that somebody had sprayed painted graffiti lettering on the side of an RV indicating that "XXXXXX was here".. The owner of that RV was probably mighty pissed the next day..

bonzaikitty

Post by bonzaikitty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:51 pm

I grabbed a huge water bottle at my camp one night because I was thirsty-- And just as I finished it, a camp mate came out of their tent and looked at me, horrified. I asked what was the matter, and they told me what I had just drank had not been water. Turned out, that container had about eight hits of 2CB in it, and the flavor had been masked with honey.

Totally not a fun night.

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Getting hit by an RV driven by a sleeping dude wasn't all that fun.

Seriously people, if you're not awake enough to make it through Exodus, you're not awake enough to drive!

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 pm

My most annoying moment this year was when I was standing in the one of the key holes at a camp at night. A weekend arrival with a truck and a huge RV trailer cut the corner into the camp and ran over two bicycles. The asshole didn't even "notice" and kept driving. Could have been people.

mars

Post by mars » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 am

poisenloaf wrote:This did not happen to me, but while bike riding back to camp one morning, I noticed that somebody had sprayed painted graffiti lettering on the side of an RV indicating that "XXXXXX was here".. The owner of that RV was probably mighty pissed the next day..
Those same people tagged tons of vehicles up and down the 8:30 block. I asked one of the vehicle owners about it and he said, it appears it can be easily removed.

so it was not cool, but apparently not toooooo bad.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 pm

this year, for the first time, i had my bike "borrowed". no, i don't normally lock it and i had left it for a minute,....that was not my worst experience. actually, i smiled and laughed and on my way out i miraculously found it without even searching. it was missing some el wire but hey, sweet!

my worst experience is with the org staffers and DPW people who seem to be , excuse the expression, but constantly "on the rag". there are, of course, good people in the org but these fukkers give you all a bad name. stop acting like life is such a pain in your ass. you are all one big piece of moop. there is no place in our city for those who think they are too good to talk to friendly happy people or at least smile. suck it.

...it seems that Cobra Commander, the DPW's leader, should try and teach the rest of his fuckwads to act like him. HE IS COOL.

but, i guess, how can you expect to reason with people who choose to wear black while working all day in the desert....morons
blow.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 pm

My worst experience was caused by myself, I guess...

2008 was my first burn.
I brought a girl I dated at this time with me.

The girl got drunk and basically disappeared without taking
any of her stuff...
or letting me know where she is going
or when she will be back...

I was going to leave on Sun, but the damn sense of responsibility would not allow me to leave without her... The advice I was getting from everyone (including rangers) was - "Man, just dump this bitch, leave her a jug of water and go home". ... and I could not... I just COULD NOT leave a firend (or whatever she is) in a middle of a desert 600miles from home with no money, clothes or cell phone. I just could not...

I waited for her for 27 hours.
Looking for her non-stop, day and night until I got completely
exhausted... I will never forget these 27 freaking hours...

She did not come back.
I finaly left, feeling like CRAP, thinking that she could be in
trouble and that I could not do ANYTHING to help her...
Trying not to think how she can possibly get back to LA without
any of her things...

On my way back I fell asleep while driving and almost crash my truck.
And got a ticket for speeding.

When I arrived in LA i found out that the girl is all right and well, she
had fun roaming around BRC, then found a place to sleep at some camp,
found a ride to LA next morning. Never thought about leaving me a message at information desk or with rangers. Peachy...

2 lessons for me -
a) never ever bring unreliable, emotionaly unstable people to BRC, never
b) if someone is lost - it's meant to be, don't give a shit, forget about the sucker and do what's good for YOU

Other than that - BM was AWESOME!!!
Next year i will be there for a whole week.
With real friends.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Did you post on playa info?
Best thing you can do.

After the experience I had with someone from L.A., you might be glad she took off.

I helped someone who mislaid their camp.
Their sister had already left a good note on playa info.
I tried to educate them about the event but they never got it.
Some people will always be clueless.

And...
Welcome to Camp Crazy Fucking Bitch!

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Yep, I posted messages on play info.
I talked with almost every ranger in BRC.
I checked with paramedics frequently.
I placed anouncement on BMIR radio several times...
You name it - I did it.. :)

And the latte at central camp was pretty damn good!
I drank a few gallons if it that day, I think :))

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Johnnie wrote:"Man, just dump this bitch, leave her a jug of water and go home". ... and I could not... I just COULD NOT leave a firend (or whatever she is) in a middle of a desert 600miles from home with no money, clothes or cell phone. I just could not...
You did the right and honorable thing. She may be a totally clueless and irresponsible bitch but assuming everything happened as described, your personal integrity is intact and if something -had- happened to her, you would carry on with the knowledge that you did everything you could.

Her irresponsibility and selfishness will come around on her.

In the meantime, you still have her stuff, right? Tell her you're going to give it away to real burners or sell it to pay for your ticket next year.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Samsa Bee

Post by Samsa Bee » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:51 pm

Holy frickin shit thats so RUUUUUUDE of her......you know better next time!! I hope you never have to deal with that again.

Mine arent so bad:

~eating too much liquid L in 07 and camping on the Esplanade. I couldnt escape the Glowier Blinkier Burnier......I needed quiet and it was unacheivable. My camp mates seemed to be clueless as to what was going on with me. I was scared to make a scene. I cried for 24 hours. MY BAD.

~I was laying with a companion in a chill tent and a campmate sexually harrassed me. I had to leave in a fit. Thankfully my companion left with me. AND the harasser was someone I knew. gave me bad vibes but I shook it off.

~My camp mate told me she didnt approve of my 'lifestyle' and blamed me for influencing her boyfriend in bad ways and told me "YOU ARE WRONG" because my husband lets me flirt with who I want at BMan while he stays home. I dont even flirt with her man in the LEAST bit. She was just venting, but it hurt my feelings. Im going to put it past her though and forgive her. Still, frusterations like this to me are bad experiences, esp when they catch me off guard.

Am I too tolerant?
~8~ buzzzzzzzzzz

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Samsa Bee wrote: ~eating too much liquid L in 07 and camping on the Esplanade. I couldnt escape the Glowier Blinkier Burnier......I needed quiet and it was unacheivable. My camp mates seemed to be clueless as to what was going on with me. I was scared to make a scene. I cried for 24 hours. MY BAD.
This happens to you or to anyone you know or anyone you find, go to the Rangers. They have a quiet place staffed with people who know how to help. I think highly of both Black Swan and Digger.
Samsa Bee wrote:~I was laying with a companion in a chill tent and a campmate sexually harrassed me. I had to leave in a fit. Thankfully my companion left with me. AND the harasser was someone I knew.
Rangers again. And maybe LEO. That behavior could have got him kicked out. And we don't know who else he might have gone after. Also the Bureau of Erotic Discourse.http://www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org/ They are working to educate people on sexual harrassment and sexual assault on the playa.
Samsa Bee wrote:~My camp mate told me she didnt approve of my 'lifestyle' and blamed me for influencing her boyfriend in bad ways and told me "YOU ARE WRONG" because my husband lets me flirt with who I want at BMan while he stays home. I dont even flirt with her man in the LEAST bit. She was just venting, but it hurt my feelings. Im going to put it past her though and forgive her.
That relationship's not long for this world. But I aint sending you to the rangers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 pm

My worst experience was that stupid soft crumbly playa that shit really sucks something must be done like Reichian weather therapy or rain dances or something. When the playas nice and hard you can bike any where almost effortlessly, this year I walked a lot and hitched lots of rides. I didn't get to use my off road skateboard once. That was my only problem this year any thing else isn't even worth mentioning. Last year my worst experience was totaling my truck in Empire on the way in. It really sucked but no one was hurt and I still made it in and out of the event with all of my shit.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 pm

My worst experience was when I was inside an RV and I saw 2 friends kissing outside so I leaned over to the window and was about to say, "I see you!" but when I inhaled before speaking I sucked in a ton of playa dust from the screen on the window and ended up hacking at them instead of a nice little tease. Nothing like a lung full of playa dust!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Samsa Bee

Post by Samsa Bee » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 am

Thank you CryptoFish for the Ranger suggestions. I will be fully aware of that next time.
I think I need to grow a thicker skin for the sexual assault asshole, too. I should of Tank Grrrl'd his ass and threw him some violence. Seriously. It was hard though, because at the same time I am trying to bond the village and become closer to my camp mates, most of who are amazing people who care about me. Took me off guard. Is "he was on a LOT of MDMA" an excuse?? The whack job followed me to my tent the next day and stood at my tent entrance. Im like, get the fuck away!!! Isnt an elbow to the head a good enough NO?

FUCK I wish the tribe.net Burning Woman tribe was available right now, but Iam very very thankful for this place and your response.
~8~ buzzzzzzzzzz

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 am

Our state courts have struck down verbal assault.. Now will be known as freedom of speech..

So if you corner, belittle, and harass me for being old that's your freedom to do so.

Unless I think you are about to attack me.
I can defend myself.. A few "volts" could come in handy..

But osifur he was charging me like a mad bull..

Return to “Stories”