Injury Report

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:39 pm

And I thought Gatorade replenished electrolytes....if it doesn't then what's all the hype about?

I did fall in love with the Extreme Mango flavor coming home but once you get past Denver, it doesn't seem to exist.

And Jaywalker, I think it was Saturday night after the burn. DJ Tiesto is my favorite DJ but Sandra's performance IMHO ranks as the second best show I've ever seen. And the only reason it's not the top is because the Tiesto set lasted 3 times as long and was oh so good!

jaywalker

Post by jaywalker » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:34 pm

Kinetic wrote:And I thought Gatorade replenished electrolytes....if it doesn't then what's all the hype about?
Oh also alot of ramen, pork shoulder, brisket, tri-tip. What you didn't have those in your camp?

I have also used Thermo-tabs before. Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium. It's formulated to help prevent heat stroke and dehydration. Or the Medilyte tabs Precipitate mentioned as well. Any local drug store should have one or the other.

Or just go camp in the desert more often. I never get dehydrated, yet seem to end up with injuries.

Oh yeah I forgot one. Somehow I bruised the entire inside oif my left foot. Fucking all purple!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:44 am

Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamakhya

Post by Kamakhya » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:37 am

One nasty 6-8 inch gash down the back of my thigh from a zipline injury.

One fu**ed knee from a weird and bizarre dancing mishap. It took me out of action. I am still hobbling around, but I am down to one crutch for work.

A couple of blisters and bruises.

Kamakhya

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:41 am

jaywalker wrote:Electrolytes help the body retain the water. That's why the daytime drink of choice was vodka and gatorade. yummy[/i]
I thought it was tequila and Gatorade... playa margarita!
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:11 am

Kama...glad to hear your down to one crutch. Keep us informed as to how things are going!

And btw, I asked you on the playa about your shade structure that I helped you setup but I forgot where you got it...you also mentioned a website if I remember right....do you still have that info?

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Post by Borris » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:47 am

Kinetic wrote: DJ Tiesto is my favorite DJ
Yeech, you americans make me sick, you have NO taste in dance music, Tiesto (that has been ranking as the most popular forgein DJ in israel for the last 4-5 years) is one of the Cheesiest, most stupid and obvious DJ's i've ever heard. the US was the cradle of Electronic dance and still has some of the best tallent in that field (Derrik may, Kevin Saunderson, Masters At Work / Little Louie Vega, Josh Wink, Deep Dish, Carl Craig) so where did appreciation to quality electronic dance dissapear to??
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

consumer

Post by consumer » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:11 am

Borris, grow up.

Back onto the subject: I have a very unusual mark on my left hand. It looks like those dark bruises you get under your thumbnails, but its on the side of a finger.

At the burn, I had a terrible case of sore feet and blisters (not playa foot, just too much walking). This sucked as I didn't end up getting out and abot nearly as much as I'm used to, but it did allow me to entertain vistors to our camp more.

I have many other scrapes and bruises that I can't recall getting - I guess I'll have to attribute them to typical playa activities.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:29 am

Borris: I know Tiesto has his issues but instead of ranting about him, send me some suggestions on what else I might want to check out. Your in Israel which seems to be hotter than ever for dance music...enlighten me on what's out there that I haven't found on my own yet.

Tristan

Post by Tristan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:03 pm

ecliptic wrote:I didn't get to go this year, but a good friend I've gone with in the past had a little crash on his (my) bike. Apparently there were metal poles sticking up out of the ground on all the streets.
Those metal poles were still here this year at street corners, and they were still black with no reflector and no white paint. A real danger. I had very close encounters with a couple of those.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:46 pm

I was out in an art car late on Sunday night at the Chandalier when another accident happened just a ways off. I guess a car crashed due to an unlit art installation and a couple of people were hurt when they landed on some exposed rebarb. Luckily we had an EMT on our car who was able to rush over until the medics could get there and at least calm one of the girls who was in quite a bit of pain and in shock. I think there was no critical injury. I was just wondering if anyone knew who it was and if they were ok?

madmatt

Not too bad

Post by madmatt » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:53 pm

I had severely chapped lips, with those dry flaps hanging off, but mercifully, they hadn't split. Whilst packing up our camp, I went to bite off a lenght of duct tape wrapped around some canopy poles and stuck both my lips full up on the sticky side of the tape, ripping all the skin off upper and lower lips. Not a serious injury, but sends shivers up yer spine don't it.

Oh yeah, blisters from dancing all night, even though I wore decorated running shoes this year to avoid it. :roll:

agape

Post by agape » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:06 pm

I got a few bruises on my legs when I was riding my bike and the person I was riding with/in back of didn't turn when I told them to and I ended up running into them. Luckily we were going fairly slow, but I fell off the bike when I hit him. Didn't get any scratches from it though, it was luckily a pretty light fall.

Oh I also broke back my big toe nail pretty far down, that really hurt.

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:45 pm

agape wrote:I got a few bruises...I fell off the bike...Didn't get any scratches...broke...my...nail...
My believers martyred me by flaying, but that was taking too long so they quartered me between four fork lifts. But my internal organs remained connected to my head and one arm, so they had to feed those to coyotes. The coyotes were then tossed in a fire pit and in an effort to finish me off my empty eye sockets were used as a rebar puller after the event.

But I'm better now.

telizas

Post by telizas » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:50 pm

Does this count as an injury? My Dr. at home told me to stop taking water pills for my high blood pressure while on the playa... low and behold, I was at the medical tent hours after arriving, with a sky-high BP. Monday they sent me to Gerlach to get more meds and it was still high all week. NOT good. It got as high as 180/115. YIKES!

And bike ass... yeah, bike ass is a bitch.
Well behaved women rarely make history.

clandyone

Post by clandyone » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:56 pm

About the Gatorade--

I find that the bottled kind is too syrupy to hydrate effectively.

What you want is the powdered kind, mixed quite weak. Then it works good. Also, less trash.

A proper playakaze (gatorade and vod.) can only be made from powdered Gatorade, prefereably in a tin cup that still has the morning's coffee residue in the bottom. Yum.

Liverace
Burning Since: 2002

Playa battle scars

Post by Liverace » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:06 pm

The bruises have all healed.
The sunburn has peeled.

But I still can't feel the toes on my left foot. Damned numbness set in the night of the burn and won't seem to go away.

Oh well, it's good to be reminded of my playa adventures every time I take a step.

dj big E

dj big E lmao

Post by dj big E » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:27 pm

deep cracks in the heels of my feet to match the deep cracks in my lips lmao.Just taking the last of my z-pax antibiotics to kill the respitory infection.what a great fucking trip can't wait till nekt year lmao.were are these nurses you guys speak of you mean someone will patch me up as a thrash my body throughout the week lmao if the festival was two weeks long i would for sure die my appetite for fun ,drugs, and booze coupled with the fact i can't sleep when somethings going on .lmao on sunday night i passed out cold 4 times in xara lmao my "friends "picked me up and gave me a red hook and then a red bull lmao.I drank them and passed out again i was drunk thoe so of course i didn't hurt myself lmao. dj big "E"

Immersed

Post by Immersed » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:50 pm

Kinetic wrote:
And Jaywalker, I think it was Saturday night after the burn. DJ Tiesto is my favorite DJ but Sandra's performance IMHO ranks as the second best show I've ever seen. And the only reason it's not the top is because the Tiesto set lasted 3 times as long and was oh so good!
Holy shit!! Tiesto was out there?? Where and when did he play??? I rolled around on Saturday night and heard nothing but bland music. I didn't find Sandra Collins or the Space Cowboys party. Where the hell was the party that night? I just encountered a worn out anti-climatic vibe that entire evening.

Borris, Tiesto is pretty top notch for mainstream trance. Mainstream trance has its place but by no means can it compare to psytrance! And there was some serious psytrance going down at BM this year. Was anyone at the Trance Village around 4AM on friday night/Saturday morning? Random was shredding the crowd with the funkiest psy I've ever heard! I hear he was playing some of his own tracks to0 and he's from the US btw. We DO know what's up with some quality trance. But being from Israel must be especially cool from a psytrance standpoint. I hear that Hallucinogen is playing a Rosh Hashannah party in Israel this year. Sounds fucking dope.
Are you going to that?

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:54 pm

Tiesto was not at BM, but Sandra certainly was. You might know, someone sent me an e-mail or private message with the name of the camp and now I can't find it. But she was definitely there, I got less than 3 feet from her, close enough that I watched as she mixed.

Last year I loved Space Cowboys but I didn't run into them for some reason this time. I did go out to Sol System on Monday and Tuesday and experienced their surround sound system. That's another highlight of BM for me....I loved dancing out there. I'd even go so far as to say it was some of the best audio reproduction I've heard on playa. Very well done.

dj big E

dj big "E" says

Post by dj big E » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:06 pm

how dare you kinetic lmao how can you live withyourself you wen't to bm and didn't pay homage to the spacecowboys and the allmighty unimog shame shame shame they were on the esplenade by deathguild camp and the thunderdome.They had theyre big party complete with sushi bar and microbroadcast on friday out at the suspended granite slabs.I t wen't off all night salmon oysters etc then as the sun came up grillcheeses but i wasn't eating by then if you feel me lmao.The micro broadcast was sick about 3-4 other art cars i believe broadcasting same music it was the shit as well as the visuals on the mog fuck i love that thing.Late sat night they set up about 500 yards or so from xara area late late night and busted out a killer set if i remember correctly theyre was a rico taco bar lmao.you should have wen't to the party friday i had sweet costume iwas the leader of the blackheart marijuana gang brc's official marijuana gang we control the west side of the city lmao .kinetic nekt year find me because i know were the mog is lmao trust me not a unimog stalker just big big fan.long live the mog and the cowboys :P as well as cowgirls . cya all soon dj big "E"

Kinetic

Re: dj big "E" says

Post by Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:11 pm

dj big E wrote:how dare you kinetic
Ok, allright, I missed out on so much stuff. I forgot Harriet's list, I got sick, and this year sucked. I have many regrets, I mean I missed seeing Ivy and Precipitate even. This year sucked. (I just learned today that Precipitate seems to be taken, but I still wanted to meet her anyway).

04 will be different...I'll be in better shape as I'm working on that even now, I'll have my art car, better costumes, better drag stuff, and might even be a Ranger if I can get into it. If I can pass the screening and persuade ActionGrl to help me I might become the KC Regional BM Coordinator, and then lookout, 04 will be one hell of a year.

And I know...keep the expectations low but still, 04 won't be like 03. This was Tallinn's last wish trip, plus I might have the Church of Kinetika launching....and I won't be freaked out over my job situation by then, I hope.

Things are gonna get better! They freaking have to.

Immersed

Post by Immersed » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:25 pm

DJ E, the SPace Cowboy party on Friday night fucking rocked me! I didn't stay there the whole time as I had to check on my beloved psytrance but damn the Cowboys throw a se-ious party! The other art cars adding their systems, the people on the slabs rocking them back and forth, the fire, the crazy ass uni-mog, the filthy blending of all electronic genres...it was definitely beyond belief!

stu

Post by stu » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:21 pm

Last year I loved Space Cowboys but I didn't run into them for some reason this time.
That's another reason to kick yourself for missing the Greeter shift. They were out there with us, and they rocked our asses off the whole time.
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?

clandyone

Post by clandyone » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:28 pm

crazy-ass uni-mog
We drove a good stretch of I-80 next to the Mog. Pretty amazing -- I had no idea that thing could make the drive itself, figured they had to tow it. But there it was, incognito, with only the orange plex mini-geodesic on the roof to give it away. It is an extraordinary vehicle, to be sure.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:28 pm

they rocked our asses off the whole time.
Have I mentioned recently how much big stupid fun that night was? I think we broke records for how much fun you can have on a greeter shift.

Not to rub it in K... but what the hell

Nyah Nyah!
It's all about the squirrels.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:55 pm

Next year I'm taking the entire BM experience to the next level...hell I'm not even waiting for next year. I'm doing it NOW. I found out the KC Regional Coordinator moved to NYC and the position is open. Guess who applied? I was told they have a screening process but I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

Spectator my ass, I'm involved now! And in 04 I won't miss any e-playa events if I can help it. I also won't trust an iPAQ PDA on the playa to keep me in the loop either.

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Post by Borris » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:21 pm

Hey kinetic, you might have caught me spinning on Sol System, I was on from about 6 AM tuesday morning. (Before Ariel), that surround system was the best setup I've played on. As to the Unimog, that Hummer is realy THE SHIT I caugt their party at the Earth Guardians camp on night and just went mental.

Immeresed: I've had the "honour" as part of my previous job (clubbing photojournalist) te listen to Tiesto more then a couple of times (he plays in israel 2-3 times a year) adn i find his choices of comercial trance to be bland and too obvious, i preffer Paul Van Dyke to ehat he does, allthough comercial trance isn't my cup o' margaritta at all.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:38 pm

> (I just learned today that Precipitate seems to be taken, but I still
> wanted to meet her anyway).

Honey, if there was even any question that that's the only reason you
wanted to meet me, you were totally lookin' for love in all the wrong
places.

I wanted to meet you too. Sorry I missed you at the preappointed spots.

We got asked to help tow an Airstream into Kidsville from where it'd been
mistakenly parked. We didn't have a ball hitch of the correct size. Plus
fuckwits had set up domes and tents about fifteen feet in front of it, so it
would have been a pain to move. I know they got it relocated, but it would
have been nice to tow it into Kidsville and maybe meet you and Tiffany.
Ah well, next year.

Meeting you, I mean, not the Airstream.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:55 am

Ouch, I stub my toe!

A II Z

Return to “Stories”