Need advice on what time to leave BM...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
rwaites

Need advice on what time to leave BM...

Post by rwaites » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 am

Hello all! So looking forward to this year's burn. My wife and I are flying into Reno and staying until Sunday. Although we would love to stay until Monday we have to get back to Long Beach to start school : ( Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best time to leave Sunday so that we can catch our flight out of Reno Int. at 7pm? I was thinking 1pm might be a good time to leave but not sure. The last time I went to BM and we left Monday it took 4hours to get to the highway. I'm assuming it'll take a little less time than that. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

xoxo
: )

Harpman
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Burning Band

Post by Harpman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 am

From my experience, the best time to leave is directly after the Temple Burn.
To err is human. It takes a computer to really screw up.
http://people.tribe.net/harpman
www.hushville.com
www.cdbaby.com/venicebluecats

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Here's my going home timeline:

Friday night: Last night for partying. I've found by this point in the week, I'm a little partied out, frankly, so it's cool.

Saturday afternoon, my brother and I pack up the truck with everything except our costumes for that night.

Saturday night, after the Man burns, we walk around, say our goodbyes, head back to the truck, change into defaultia clothing and then hit the road. No line at the gate. It's a hard drive, frankly, but we've stopped partying a day earlier so it's doable. Two hours later, we're sleeping in a Reno hotel.

Sunday, it's a long, hot drive down to L.A., but we're showered and rested. The day ends when I pull the truck into the driveway. I save the unpacking for --

Monday (Labor Day) I unpack at my leisure, cleaning everything before putting it away. By Tuesday, I've had two nights sleep in my bed (still hear the thumpa-thumpa, though) and I'm ready to plug back into work.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 pm

I would expect the biggest crowds on sunday for exodus, but I've never left early.

brickie

Post by brickie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Last year I left monday at 4:30am, took me 6 hrs to get to reno

Harpman

Post by Harpman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:54 am

In 2008 I had secured a ride to LA from the Ride share board. They said they were leaving after the Temple Burn but what they meant was "yeah...the next frigging day..." after the Temple Burn.
I showed up at 6AM but they weren't ready to go till NOON! It took 5 hours just to reach the front gate. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
www.hushville.com

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 am

Wednesday, it takes about ten minutes to hit the gate.

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:06 am

Harpman - if they leave after the temple burn, they will obviously not make their plane in Reno at 7pm Sunday (since the temple burns later on Sunday night).

Seriously consider leaving sometime in the wee hours of Sunday morning after the Man burns. - You will get to Reno early but you will avoid the hours in the Exodus line later on Sunday.

Harpman

Post by Harpman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Mojo- I think you have the best strategy for rwaites.
If you break down camp on Saturday, enjoy the Man Burn and can keep sober long enough, then a 3AM departure would get you to Reno much faster than if you waited till morning.

Personally, I think the Temple Burn is a much more spiritual experience than the Man Burn and would hate to miss it. But many do as concerns for ease of departure outweigh staying a day longer.

I like writing my "intentions" onto the the temple itself, and watching as the majestic temple evaporates in smoke and flame. It's really tops off a burn like nothing else. Then while everyone else is partying, I race to my vehicle and book. Worked great in 2K4.
www.hushville.com

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Harpman wrote:I like writing my "intentions" onto the the temple itself, and watching as the majestic temple evaporates in smoke and flame. It's really tops off a burn like nothing else. Then while everyone else is partying, I race to my vehicle and book. Worked great in 2K4.
I tried that last year, and it still took 4 hours to hit highway.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:23 pm

gyre wrote:Wednesday, it takes about ten minutes to hit the gate.
Thursday morning is good too I hear.

Gravity Mike

Post by Gravity Mike » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 pm

If you're trying to catch a Sunday 7PM flight from Reno, I would suggest leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday at the very latest. Seriously consider the fellows advice about leaving a couple of hours after the burn.

Basically from an hour after sunrise Sunday until Monday sunset is total gridlock. If you need to be somewhere at a specific time during that period, leave the day before.

Gravity Mike

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Last year left Sunday just before temple burn- Sunset
3 1/2 hours to pavement.
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

Gravity Mike

Post by Gravity Mike » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 pm

stormfeather wrote:Last year left Sunday just before temple burn- Sunset
3 1/2 hours to pavement.
Just to clarify, I'm referring to the man burn...

Gravity

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:53 pm

My flights are always early Sunday afternoon. I leave BRC around 7:00am and keep moving toward Reno. It's never stop and go traffic for me. You can stuff your gear in the car and then pack it all together at a parking lot in Reno. Also, it will give you lots of time to clean the rental car if nessisary. There are so many fast food restaurants, gas stations and strip malls to stop and pack your things for the flight.
GET THE HELL OUT OF BRC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER THE BURN!
There, I said it.

Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:51 pm

I will charge you $8 to use my secret tunnel I have been constructing since BM 2003. It looks similar to the secret tunnel used in the movie "Top Secret".

Anyway, you need to keep in mind that you can never predict when a good time to go is. It's pretty much luck. I think it was 2004 that we left after the temple burn and it took us 25 minutes to get to the paved road. All the other times varied so much. The event gets bigger every year and people hear from others what the best time to leave was last year so that sort of changes things.

I'm hoping this year the fuel prices will get more people to car pool and keep things flowing. Anyway, if I were you, I would leave as early as possible on Sunday.

somekind

Post by somekind » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 am

Last year I found a ride out of BM, but the lazy bum didn't want to leave until Tuesday noon. I spent all day monday waiting for him and biking around the BM. There is a lot of dust kicked up by people leaving on Monday and Tuesday. Not pleasant.

Tuesday was backed up for 3 hours still. Leaving during mid day was really hot, and only do it if you have AC. Personally, I would leave at night.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Return to “Stories”