Why Burning Man is not as great as people think.....

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Craiger13

Why Burning Man is not as great as people think.....

Post by Craiger13 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:25 am

Don't get me wrong, this is my second year, and overall it is great.. I realize there can be no PERFECT city, but I saw some things this year that truly shocked me... after getting over the initial awe of my first year, last year, I decided to take a different journey this year -- a journey to Spiritual healing, and what i found was nothing like I expected.

I realize a great part of it was that I did not find the 'right' group, but a major part is all these expectations I had because of such an incredible experience from last year.

I was thinking of starting my own thing call HEALING MAN, but the BM lawyers will probably come after me.

Anyway rather than turn this into a bitching session, here are my biggest grips and area of possible IMPROVEMENT, as all I am trying to do here be positive about ways the City can continue to grow in a POSITIVE direction.

First point, is that we should not rely on drug or alcohol to connect with people, and from my experiences, this seems to be the main point of attraction. Rarely doesn't somebody invite somebody to a dinner, but 'have a beer' you hear all day, even 6 or 7am in the morning.

Second is that we should challenge ourselves to check our ego and negative emotions at the door. When ego gets involved that interferes with our ability to connect. And a great deal of the art and customs is ego based (everybody trying to do one up than the next). Also some of the worker, DPT, Ranger, medics may have superiority complexes, and feel like their volunteer role is more important than the next.

Third is that we should connect withe everybody at the Playa, not just our individual camps.

I did do yoga and some healing, but still in my monkey mind, find in challenging to focus on my own healing with all these hotties walking around in dental floss -- i did connect with many people, and only want to feel like i can connect with everybody on some level.

Perhaps, my greatest dream in this social experiment is to find a way to attract the right people, so that rules aren't needed and everybody just naturally respects one another. One of the things that shocked me was the behind the scenes political garbage that came to surface, which really taught me that burning man people are really the same as all the 'outside' people and almost made me feel as if there is no reason to go to burning man as I get the same thing on the outside. I actually went to the hotpsprings for a night and had an incredible time away from all the chaos.

I hate to bursts anybodies bubble, but there is a reason that long-time burners are decided more and more NOT to go. If we don't do something about these issues, then Black Rock City will soon be deserted (no pun intended)

These are just some of my thoughts, and I would love for anyone to share. As I think there are many people who many feel how i do. These are for people who ARE interested in the the truth. :roll:

The Bass

next year!

Post by The Bass » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 am

if you want burning man to change, you _have_ to do it yourself.

there is no other way.

start your own thing, bringing together people who share your views. give love. bring more and more people into your orbit.

create the world you want to share.

again, that is the _only_ way.

peace and blessings on you...

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:21 am

Craiger, I agree whole-heartedly w/ you, my man! One of the reasons I'm not out there this year...I've seen pple. I know on a year round basis turn into utter-jerk-ass-poseurs out there and act like we dont even know each other, because why? you got a cool art car, your costume this year is bad-ass? Check your ego at the door please!
Beer drinkin can be done at home just as well as on the playa (I know as I did plenty last nite in my comfy LazyBoy), although it seems harder to get that good beer buzz on the playa.
Hopefully by the time I return, the yahoo factions will have found something else and grown tired of BM....but I really doubt it. As more yahoos are born every year.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 am

Your second year you finally noticed how loud people are?

You illegally used the hot springs and wondered why volunteer staff are so cranky?

And everything disturbed your spiritual yoga?

Oh, please do start you own event.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Craiger13

Bob is worried about legal issues.......

Post by Craiger13 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:07 pm

WOW Bob, I was told I could use the hotsprings by a top 007 RANGER, who was super cool by the way.

Illegally used the springs and wondered why volunteer staff are so cranky?

Who owns the hotsprings anyway? YEs, some are private, but the others are on public land.. I guess BM LLC has special powers to prevent people from receiving healing.. i mean isn't that what BM was originally suppose to be about, healing, releasing and being yourself?

i met one man who was leaving after his first year. He was exciting when he saw the 'hotsprings' camp. only to be disappointed to find out this camp was looking for volunteers to 'guard' the hotspring. I mean what the hell is that all about. I understand that having people at the hotspring can be chaotic, but is that anymore chaos than what's going on inside BM?

I thought BM was about free expression... and is 'guarding' the hotsprings allowing people to express themselves freely? Or is it fear driven that people may try to sneak in?

Maybe I will start my own burning man, but why would I want to have a destructive name in the title? WHy not healing man? And why burn something?

And while I'm on a role :), what about this leave no trace bullshit.. sounds great, but the do as I say, not as I do is nuts.... while driving to one of the hotsprings, I noticed a whole area with burnt up cars and complete gargage, about 20 miles off Jungo road.

THANK YOU BOB.. we still love you... I understand you are attached to BM, but don't be a fool.. GO AFTER THE TRUTH MY BROTHER.. that is what will set you free!

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:49 am

If you used the hotsprings at Trego while the event was going on, then you violated a FEDERAL closure order published in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Land Management. The BLM is the official stewards of that particular section of public land, and if you have any problems with how the hot springs are administered you need to Google the BLM Winnemucca office details and contact them....as the closure is not orchestrated by the BM LLC in any way, shape, or form. Their efforts are geared towards permit compliance and simply enhancing the protection of the springs.

While long winded, in short you really need to do some background research before opening your mouth and inserting your foot.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Aiee! It burns!

Re: Why Burning Man is not as great as people think.....

Post by Aiee! It burns! » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:13 am

Craiger13 wrote:... but I saw some things this year that truly shocked me...
It IS a requirement after all...

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am

Hell is going to freeze over...but I'm looking forward to the presence of Laughing Forest Crystal Wolf on the board. We need her wisdom, wit, and the biting tongue.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:58 pm

First off, some of the hot springs are dangerously hot. Some are guarded for public safety. Second, it common knowledge leaving the event to visit the hot springs whether public or private is not permitted. Third, having hundreds and potentially thousands visit the hot springs would definitely be detrimental to the environment and landscape. The hot springs are guarded due to a BLM stipulation. I fully support the guardianship of these resources during the event. However, here is some info...

You can also visit:

FROM EARTH GUARDIAN PAGE:

"Over the years there have been a number of fatalities and serious scalding incidents when people or their pets entered or fell into several area hot springs. While the hot springs are historical and interesting to visit, the BLM does not maintain them as recreational resources and visitors are advised of these as scalding hazards, and that bathing in them is at their own risk.

Burning Man has agreed with BLM that participants will not use the springs during the event as a condition of our permit. Concerns were raised during the permitting process that unfettered use by Burning Man participants would result in irreparable damage to the springs and the surrounding riparian areas."

You can read more here: http://earthguardians.burningman.com/bl ... prings.htm

It sounds like you did something that you knew was wrong and you were busted. I'm guessing from your post that you have a really hard time accepting responsibility for your actions. This is probably one of the reasons that you ended up in hot water other than the hot springs.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:59 am

Hahaha. Stop whining and mind your own fucking business. Your problem is that you expect other people to do what you want. Sorry. It doesn't happen that way. People do what they want, not what you want. If you want healing you need to do it yourself. You won't get sued, especially if you're clever enough to come up with something better than a spin off "healing-man". If it sucks so bad why name it after the event?

Yeah my post is rude, but it's a reflection of how I see your post dictating what others "should" do.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

ALICEtheGOON

Post by ALICEtheGOON » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:11 am

Last year was my first burn. The best advice I got from my campmates

was "dont expect anything".....

The best rule was "no drama" . Secretly I did hope to meet nice ,

creative ,and fun people . I did.

Before I arrived I read many blogs that the best burns were in the

past . I am sure thats true in many ways , however I figured there would

be plenty of the old spirit around. There was.

Personally, I am happy that some artcar creators and inventers try to

one up the next guy. It makes for some spectacular pieces.

yes there were plenty of yahoos and posers ...and each year it will get

worse . You can not change that.

The bottom line is ..most burners are super friendly and super cool (whether they are like that in the default world or not doesnt bother me a bit)
...they are great at Blackrock city...

Until that changes I will return as often as I can.

Ps . before the next burn ..use this forum to connect with the healers/ yoga folks , there are many roaming the dust .

Pss youll be back next year :D and good luck to you.

MerkinMan

Post by MerkinMan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:51 pm

This was my first year, and from my POV, this was an astounding event with a stellar community! I did not meet a single person I did not like.

I was one of the hosts of the "Merkin Dream" camp on Gremlin at 4:20 (across the street from the Spirit Wind Cafe (and what an amazing job they did there). We were informing the general public about all things Merkin-ey, serving beverages and outfitting folks with Merkins. Everyone who came in was just an amazing person! Friendly, out-going, funny, and just all-around great folks. Thank you to all who came by.

I had heard that there is an ever growing sect of folks who are starting to attend with more of a college party-fest vibe, who are a little less respectful of the general spirit of the event. I did not encounter anyone like this myself, but I can certainly see where this might ruffle some feathers.

Still, I can't wait to get back out!
MERKIN MAN: Protector of your sexy bits. Keepin' nether regions safe since last Tuesday.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:07 pm

I noticed a drop in yahoo percentage, I think because of the no ticket sales at gate. Not to say there were no yahoos (always are), but the numbers seemed smaller this year.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:40 am

Craiger13 wrote: First point, is that we should not rely on drug or alcohol to connect with people, and from my experiences, this seems to be the main point of attraction. Rarely doesn't somebody invite somebody to a dinner, but 'have a beer' you hear all day, even 6 or 7am in the morning.
Our neighbors invited us to eat with them every morning and night. They came to us with such frequency that we began to feel inhospitable because we had not invited them to our camp. In this way they dragged us into the burn, and the more we shared our space with them, the more we enjoyed their company. As always, you have to participate.
Third is that we should connect withe everybody at the Playa, not just our individual camps.
Indeed. There is much of this, and it should be encouraged. These connections must also endure fatigue, heat, dust, chill, exhaustion, hangover and sensory overload, so to a great extent the ideal is impossible. Burners are at their best when they've been broken down by work and weather and have rebuilt themselves within the dust. They have developed confidence and community. Then the tourists arrive...

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Burningman was better...

Post by nocturnal_steve » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Over all, BM was better xx years ago when I first started it (it was not Larry Harvey et al as commonly believed) .......... I was alone and bored at Coney Island beach in Brooklyn, and threw the first paper cup full of lighter fluid into my camp fire and watched it flare up as I beat my drum. I preceded to scale the Parachute Jump; upon reaching the top wrapped blinky Christmas Lights around the top spire, finally repelled nude down the thing into the waiting seat of a bumper car and was welcomed by a small crowd and a round of applause.....I invited friends and there were a dozen of us the next year. It was ruined already.......sigh.
Black Rock City will soon be deserted (no pun intended)
Yeah thats why attendance practically doubled every year during the first decade it was moved to Nevada, continues to climb and will probably approach 50K thus year, sheez.

Craiger13

I"m right, BM is not as good as people think -- ITS BET

Post by Craiger13 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:18 pm

I returned and had an even more amazing time then when i left.... I say a naked skydiver, I had a few great meals, met the TUNA guys, saw the temple burn on mushrooms, connected with great people, did healing work with the healers, got a ride from the ranger with my bike (the best art car out there :).... among many other great interactions.

I FOUND WHAT I WAS looking for!

DoriumLux

Re: I"m right, BM is not as good as people think -- ITS

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Craiger13 wrote:I returned and had an even more amazing time then when i left.... I say a naked skydiver, I had a few great meals, met the TUNA guys, saw the temple burn on mushrooms, connected with great people, did healing work with the healers, got a ride from the ranger with my bike (the best art car out there :).... among many other great interactions.

Oh geez. Does that mean you'll be back? :x

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Good lord, Burning Man is not some doped up hippie love-fest where we all sit around pounding drums and balancing our chakras. Burning Man is a fucking party in the middle of the fucking desert. It's different things to different people, and only an idiot would assume that everyone there is showing up to do yoga and send his stupid ass good vibes. Not that there's anything wrong with showing up to partake in all that hippie crap, but that's not the purpose of the festival. The only real stated purposes are to burn shit and create a temporary community based on radical self-reliance. Anything else depends on you and what you choose to do. I personally go to Burning Man because I enjoy the whole practicing for the apocalypse aspect of the event. That doesn't mean I run through center camp and scream at the hippies for not understanding the true meaning of Burning Man. Not to be an asshole or anything, but you're an idiot.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 am

JezebelinHell wrote:Good lord, Burning Man is not some doped up hippie love-fest where we all sit around pounding drums and balancing our chakras. Burning Man is a fucking party in the middle of the fucking desert. It's different things to different people, and only an idiot would assume that everyone there is showing up to do yoga and send his stupid ass good vibes. Not that there's anything wrong with showing up to partake in all that hippie crap, but that's not the purpose of the festival. The only real stated purposes are to burn shit and create a temporary community based on radical self-reliance. Anything else depends on you and what you choose to do. I personally go to Burning Man because I enjoy the whole practicing for the apocalypse aspect of the event. That doesn't mean I run through center camp and scream at the hippies for not understanding the true meaning of Burning Man. Not to be an asshole or anything, but you're an idiot.
I could not begain to tell anyone why I go to BM.. That is for me.. The only trouble I have is with idiots trying to "inflict" there burn on me..

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 am

JezebelinHell wrote:Good lord, Burning Man is not some doped up hippie love-fest where we all sit around pounding drums and balancing our chakras. Burning Man is a fucking party in the middle of the fucking desert. It's different things to different people, and only an idiot would assume that everyone there is showing up to do yoga and send his stupid ass good vibes. Not that there's anything wrong with showing up to partake in all that hippie crap, but that's not the purpose of the festival. The only real stated purposes are to burn shit and create a temporary community based on radical self-reliance. Anything else depends on you and what you choose to do. I personally go to Burning Man because I enjoy the whole practicing for the apocalypse aspect of the event. That doesn't mean I run through center camp and scream at the hippies for not understanding the true meaning of Burning Man. Not to be an asshole or anything, but you're an idiot.
I go mostly for the same reason, Jez, to practice for the apocalypse.
The running hippies might be tasty targets for practice with a paintball gun.....until needed for real for food.......hahahaha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 am

JezebelinHell wrote: Not to be an asshole or anything, but you're an idiot.
Priceless! I think I am in love.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:31 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:Good lord, Burning Man is not some doped up hippie love-fest where we all sit around pounding drums and balancing our chakras.
Damn good thing as I used up my chakras years ago as replacement wheels for my old Dodge 3/4 ton.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

misskitty

Post by misskitty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm

[quote="Craiger13"] First point, is that we should not rely on drug or alcohol to connect with people, and from my experiences, this seems to be the main point of attraction. Rarely doesn't somebody invite somebody to a dinner, but 'have a beer' you hear all day, even 6 or 7am in the morning. [/quote]

I don't know about you but I had 5 separate groups invite me over to share a meal with them this year. A couple of them invited me back "anytime" which I didn't feel totally comfortable with so I didn't take them up on the offer. There were also other invites in for like a dessert or something which don't classify as a meal but they are not alcohol/drugs. When I want something that I am not getting, I make a point of giving it first. If I want to connect over a meal I would invite people in with me if need be.

I know what you mean by the reliance on drugs and alcohol though - much love goes out to all those in the Anonymous camp that try to do the festival clean and sober. Being who I am though, I would get a "join me for a beer" and I would say "I'd love to join you but I'm happy with my water right now" ... so we would sit and chat and they were free to be them and I was free to be me. Often I was offered a pop or something else not substance related.

[quote] Second is that we should challenge ourselves to check our ego and negative emotions at the door. When ego gets involved that interferes with our ability to connect. And a great deal of the art and customs is ego based (everybody trying to do one up than the next). Also some of the worker, DPT, Ranger, medics may have superiority complexes, and feel like their volunteer role is more important than the next. [/quote]

Certainly there is ego but I didn't see what you describe exactly... I saw the utter humor of everyone showing up as they are in their twisted and sometimes yucky expression of who and what they are. Even the complainers, the egomaniacs, the victims, the bossy people and the drama queens.

You mention you wish you could feel connected to everyone and not just a the few you did talk to... well you're not going to get that when you only pick the ideal people to surround yourself with to connect to or want them to be perfect before you will connect to them. The people that piss you off the most are your greatest gifts when wanting to feel connected to all especially if you plan is to take that practice home with you.

[quote] Third is that we should connect withe everybody at the Playa, not just our individual camps. [/quote]

I went alone this year... camped and drove alone and made no attempt to contact or notify any burner I knew of that would be there. That wasn't a snobish thing either... if I had run into them we would have spent time together. Yet I was not alone at BM... I rarely hung around my camp except to rest or refuel because I was camp hoping and exploring. I thought it was very cool to be on the other side of BRC or in the middle of the playa far away from everyone and hear someone yell my name and it's a friend I had made 2 days earlier.

[quote] I did do yoga and some healing, but still in my monkey mind, find in challenging to focus on my own healing with all these hotties walking around in dental floss -- i did connect with many people, and only want to feel like i can connect with everybody on some level. [/quote]

My $.02 on this is allow the sexual energy to be there but rather than using it as a distraction ( or trying to repress and ignore it) cultivate and circulate the energy to deepen your own spiritual practice. Leaky sexual energy is a killer to your practice but if you harness the power it can take you very deep and add to your feeling of oneness with those people you feel separate from. Think cultivation of Kundilini energy.

[quote] Perhaps, my greatest dream in this social experiment is to find a way to attract the right people, so that rules aren't needed and everybody just naturally respects one another. One of the things that shocked me was the behind the scenes political garbage that came to surface, which really taught me that burning man people are really the same as all the 'outside' people and almost made me feel as if there is no reason to go to burning man as I get the same thing on the outside. I actually went to the hotpsprings for a night and had an incredible time away from all the chaos.

I hate to bursts anybodies bubble, but there is a reason that long-time burners are decided more and more NOT to go. If we don't do something about these issues, then Black Rock City will soon be deserted (no pun intended)
[/quote]

Burning man is life exaggerated... with the radical inclusion comes the need to accept everyone and everything. As it's scaled and become more known, the counter culture changed. Back in the days when it was how you describe it was probably to small for you for you to have heard of and never would have made it there. The growth allowed you to hear about it and make it there but it also changed BRC forever.

So if you plan your own event it may start the way you desire... once you get up to the 50k+ mark you'll find your own event will have rules and politics... these things all form for a reason over time much like they have with BM if you check out the historical time line.

KitsuneCaligari

Post by KitsuneCaligari » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I always thought hearing hippies cry would be more amusing....

mk-ultra

Post by mk-ultra » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Wow... Craiger... it sounds like you attended a completely different event than I did this year.

Our camp had no problems whatsoever meeting new friends/campmates before or during burning man... without offers of beer.

We made friends with neighbors on all sides... gave out a crapload of snow-cones... invited people to dinner and had others join in as DJs and set up a bike repair tent along with our camp... etc. Easy as pie.

We also (by virtue of reading the info plastered all over ePlaya and the Survival Guide) knew that the springs were off-limits for the duration of the event. This isn't really so hard to comprehend... given the temporary population of BRC and how it would impact an area like that. If you want to enjoy the springs, it's not all that difficult: go some other time.

Did you read the guide? Were you the one inviting others vs. waiting for them to invite you to something?

If you found the experience lacking... seriously... you ought to look for ways to make it something you'll enjoy. If all you feel you are getting are beer-soaked invites... try reaching out on your own. That's the big secret. It's what YOU make of it that counts. Invite someone you don't know to share your dinner. It's that easy. Your kindness will be returned, in spades.

:-)

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 am

I love you....You said everything I wanted to say! I hope we meet up next year.

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:07 am

+2

With all due respect to the original post/er, somebody had to say it. Whenever I hear such complaints (ok, inane bitching) about what BM was/could/should be like two quotes usually come to mind. First, a DG stencil: "There is no 'team' in 'fuck you.'" and second, the universal truth that "Burning Man sucks. You should stay home." Thanks for the third Jez!! :lol:

marcgorcey

Post by marcgorcey » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Craiger - were you really driving around the playa in your vehicle as was told in this thread ?

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=26140

Maybe you had the wrong idea of what burning man was all about ?

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Re: I"m right, BM is not as good as people think -- ITS

Post by alt12 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:35 pm

Craiger13 wrote:I returned and had an even more amazing time then when i left.... I say a naked skydiver, I had a few great meals, met the TUNA guys, saw the temple burn on mushrooms, connected with great people, did healing work with the healers, got a ride from the ranger with my bike (the best art car out there :).... among many other great interactions.

i'm goint a hazard a guess here that ol craiger recently became clean/sober in the last year (congrautlations)....howeever, you seem to be forgetting the 12-step mantra of "accept the things you can not change"....either way, you have the word "issues" printed all up and down your face...I can barely read a sentence from your posts without my "issue" alert going off....I recommend intensive psychotherapy over several years.....I believe you will be happier....and please if you to come back to BM don't drive with your unregistered not-mutant vehicle and run-over people's limbs....

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 am

SHOULD is the ugliest most fascist word in English.

It should be banned.

ooops!

damn.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

Return to “Stories”