Who got busted?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
HEADBANDMAN

Who got busted?

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 pm

I was wondering around the Opulent Temple on Friday night around mid night and saw two women get busted for some thing by the police. Does any body no what happened to them? I can't stand this but I don't know what the solution is.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:29 am

Easy solution..

don't get caught
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

zifra

law enforcement

Post by zifra » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:54 pm

I did not witness that one, but I have the following to share:

One person in my camp was arrested, searched and sited for smoking mj in a closed van near an art installation. ! The police walked out of the desert.

One of my camp mates was leaving an art car, as he left another camp mate handed him 3 cigarettes (tobacco, really!). The police took him and searched him and stated it was because "we could not tell what she passed you".

And I heard one eye witness report that said someone's van was searched by dogs at the 9:00 circle early in the week.

We also have reports police were donning burner garb and glow sticks before leaving thier vehicle to wander in the crowd.

And lastly is the story of an art car driver who was offered acid by a strange guy just before he want to drive. When he refused the person said in a very official voice "good choice" and left.

The winds are changing....
Zifra

Cannot wait top get home!

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"

gyre

Re: law enforcement

Post by gyre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

zifra wrote:
One of my camp mates was leaving an art car, as he left another camp mate handed him 3 cigarettes (tobacco, really!). The police took him and searched him and stated it was because "we could not tell what she passed you".
The police were admitting to a criminal act.
Be sure they file a formal complaint and inform burning man and all the legal people.

poisenloaf

Post by poisenloaf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 pm

This was my first year.. I was really surprised how I saw several uniformed cops (in vests no less) around Opulent Temple most nights and also cruising Esplanade.. They really stood out and looked very serious most of the time. Many times I saw them follow people and then end up going through their backpacks and what not..

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 pm

No one in our camp got busted (30+ people) but I'd like to give thanks to the un-named BRC Ranger who tipped us off to a sheriff raid on our bar.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:11 pm

poisenloaf wrote:This was my first year.. I was really surprised how I saw several uniformed cops (in vests no less) around Opulent Temple most nights and also cruising Esplanade.. They really stood out and looked very serious most of the time. Many times I saw them follow people and then end up going through their backpacks and what not..
I actually saw less uniformed officers than last year. And the one's i did see seemed to be in good spirits about the whole thing. Even when we had 20 cops show up at the tavern they were all laughing and joking about the foolish things people do when they drink Moonshine.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Gage
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Post by Gage » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:34 pm

poisenloaf wrote:This was my first year.. I was really surprised how I saw several uniformed cops (in vests no less) around Opulent Temple most nights and also cruising Esplanade.. They really stood out and looked very serious most of the time. Many times I saw them follow people and then end up going through their backpacks and what not..
My s/o and I are dancers, rockin it out day or night whenever good music is being spun, intoxicated or not...

We were followed 5 or 6 times by law enforcement officers (LEOs)throughout the week. One example - we got on an art car Thursday night, about 2:30am (afternoon nap went a LOT longer than expected). The car was stopped 2 minutes later, and a LEO got on, sat by the driver, turned around and just stared at us. And this was over near 2:30 and Edsel. The art car ended up at Opulent, and as the driver and everyone else got off and headed over to dance, we wanted to hang out and just listen to the music. The LEO stayed with us!! ?!?!? Finally, we were so annoyed that we got off and went dancing. He followed us for the next 3+ hours, even watching over us as we sat and watched the sun rise... Talk about a buzz kill...

We didn't get near as much attention on Friday and Saturday (because of all the yahoos that arrived), but it just felt different after that... Does dancing and having fun automatically denote drug dealer or criminal mastermind?? Especially at Burning Man?
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic

poisenloaf

Post by poisenloaf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 pm

I guess I just found their demeanor odd (the ones I saw anyway)... I've gone to a couple regional So Cal burner type events (i.e. Elysium) and they do have uniformed LEO come walk through the site every once in awhile but they have always been friendly & approachable and tend to not interfere. They are not dumb - they know that some people are partaking in substances, but that is why we go into the middle of nowhere so we can do so with like minded individuals, without being bothered, and hopefully bothering noone. I'd rather have them focus on preserving the peace and focus on things like stopping violence.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:55 pm

If you were followed specifically, you should file a complaint about the harassment.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 am

zifra wrote:And lastly is the story of an art car driver who was offered acid by a strange guy just before he want to drive. When he refused the person said in a very official voice "good choice" and left.
That one could have been me acting a fool. If the black tshirt said undercover cop on it than it likely was me. I was playing cop one night trying to freak ppl out.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Alligatorz

Post by Alligatorz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 am

deleted

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 am

Toolmaker wrote: I was playing cop one night trying to freak ppl out.
Do many ppl get freaked out at BRC !
ROTFL
:shock:
:twisted:

oops smilies prb
crash & burn ski lessons given

Gage
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Post by Gage » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 pm

gyre wrote:If you were followed specifically, you should file a complaint about the harassment.
How do you go about filing a complaint? Especially if you don't know the LEO's name or agency?
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic

bonzaikitty

Post by bonzaikitty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Two of my friends got busted for smoking a joint, but they said the officer was pretty cool to them. They did not have to leave the event, or get arrested-- He handed them each a Monopoly card that had been modified with a Burning Man insignia that said Get Out Of Jail Free Card.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 pm

GageNdG wrote:
gyre wrote:If you were followed specifically, you should file a complaint about the harassment.
How do you go about filing a complaint? Especially if you don't know the LEO's name or agency?
That can be a problem.
File it with the burning man legal offices and tell them what you can.

If it was that bad, I would have asked them who they were, but that's me.
But I'm the kind of person who always calls the police on plainclothes cops and bounty hunters.

By the way, the cops won't stop a bounty hunter from breaking into your house, but they will stand there and drag the body out after you shoot them.

Next time find a ranger or cop and complain about suspicious behavior, if you can.

Return to “Stories”