What was the craziest/funniest thing you saw this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 pm

vargaso wrote:My wife was in a porta-potty where someone had placed one of those birthday cards that sings "Happy birthday" when you open it. So the whole time she's taking care of business, she's hearing "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

When she told me, I almost fell on the floor laughing.
Yes, that was next to my camp, that thing was going strong all week long. Some tripped out folks kept coming out of there saying "it was playing a song!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

God I miss it!

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:39 pm

mikesieben wrote:
vargaso wrote:My wife was in a porta-potty where someone had placed one of those birthday cards that sings "Happy birthday" when you open it. So the whole time she's taking care of business, she's hearing "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

Yes, that was next to my camp, that thing was going strong all week long.....
Yeah, it started in 07, many posted about it

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:45 pm

The RV next to ours had set up a rooftop shower which they allowed anyone to come use, it was perfect and had great drainage, and it gave us a non-stop show that had something for everyone to see.

One of them was a guy named Cookie.

A straight guy named cookie, now I've heard everything.

Rev_Sysyphus

Post by Rev_Sysyphus » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Also I remember walking the Esplanade and lo and behold there were Sno-Cones! Maybe some of you'all will not consider this all that amazing but I sure did! 100 deg+ heat and Sno-Cones?!?! Also the gal dishing them out was super cute and that made it all the better. In fact I took a picture of her behind the Sno-Cone rig and it is my current XP wallpaper. Like I said she was a real cutie! A cutie with Sno-Cones! :)
Eschew The Banal!

Rev. Sysyphus
http://loafington.wordpress.com

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 pm

mikesieben wrote:The RV next to ours had set up a rooftop shower which they allowed anyone to come use, it was perfect and had great drainage, and it gave us a non-stop show that had something for everyone to see.

One of them was a guy named Cookie.

A straight guy named cookie, now I've heard everything.
This person happen to live in NYC?

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Was that in one of the porta's at camp Shift? I kept on hearing some jingle tune in the potty next to the one I was in...I don't think it was Happy Birthday though.

DragginLady

Post by DragginLady » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 am

That "happy Birthday" was playing when I got to the Playa on the 16th..
got really old about the 18th and STILL had not run out of battery by the 2nd... I should have such stamina!!

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 am

The Billion Bunny March was the craziest most fun event all week. Hat's off to Animal Control and the Carot Nation!

Intubater69

Post by Intubater69 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:59 pm

A sailboat with mast up/all rigged including bimini around 3-ish and corvair-ish. I'm a sailor and was shocked someone would go to the trouble of raising a mast on a boat around 23-25', I know, I've done it. Even more shocking is that I didnt take my sorry ass over there and talk to the "crew". It was near the end of one of my long-walks so apparently sticking my head in my cooler at camp had a higher priority. :lol:
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan

Dr. Lungi

Re: What was the craziest/funniest thing you saw this year?

Post by Dr. Lungi » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm

At a street corner in BRC, I watched open mouthed as some guy walked back and forth outside his camp with a lawnmower running full tilt, almost completely obscured by a dust plume. I walked over to someone watching this and asked, "WHAT is he doing?" The spectator looked at me and deadpanned "Mowing the lawn."

[quote="Joshatdot"]This is crazy & funny ... On Saturday in the middle of the dust storm, I was walking by camp "Got Stickers", I think it was, between 4:00 ~ 4:15 & A. Some dude wearing a dust mask...in the middle of the dust storm, was blowing the dust off the astro turf with a leaf blower.[/quote]

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Dr. Lungi wrote:At a street corner in BRC, I watched open mouthed as some guy walked back and forth outside his camp with a lawnmower running full tilt, almost completely obscured by a dust plume. I walked over to someone watching this and asked, "WHAT is he doing?" The spectator looked at me and deadpanned "Mowing the lawn."
Joshatdot wrote:This is crazy & funny ... On Saturday in the middle of the dust storm, I was walking by camp "Got Stickers", I think it was, between 4:00 ~ 4:15 & A. Some dude wearing a dust mask...in the middle of the dust storm, was blowing the dust off the astro turf with a leaf blower.
I'm pretty sure I saw this same guy mowing the esplanade during Saturdays dust storm with a beer in hand.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:29 am

Dr. Lungi wrote:At a street corner in BRC, I watched open mouthed as some guy walked back and forth outside his camp with a lawnmower running full tilt, almost completely obscured by a dust plume. I walked over to someone watching this and asked, "WHAT is he doing?" The spectator looked at me and deadpanned "Mowing the lawn."
Joshatdot wrote:This is crazy & funny ... On Saturday in the middle of the dust storm, I was walking by camp "Got Stickers", I think it was, between 4:00 ~ 4:15 & A. Some dude wearing a dust mask...in the middle of the dust storm, was blowing the dust off the astro turf with a leaf blower.
Enable bbcode on your profile to get things to work.
Preview should tell you.
I suggest email enabled too.

I'm sure this mowing violates every dust rule, but it's pretty fucking funny.

Davoid

Post by Davoid » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:36 am

Well, this doesn't entirely count 'cause I didn't witness it, but it happened in my camp and I got the lowdown from my 'mates after the fact.

We have some very cool lanterns from Bali, about 3 feet tall, multi-tiered, made of dark wood, glass, and capped with what looks like bound goat hair. Four of them line the front of our camp, Playa Surfers.

On Wednesday night, a...gentleman...in a very altered state proceeded to woo and eventually copulate with one of them. Like, dick out and in some crevice that he found. Ouch! When he was forcibly persuaded away from the lantern, he protested "But she likes me!" Huge effort was then put forth to convince him of the reality of the situation, and to get him to basically fuck off. He came back a bit later and proceeded to demolish one of the lanterns in a fit of pique before leaving the scene. Wasn't caught.

So beware...the Mad Lantern Phukker is still out there!

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:32 am

Club Exclusivo had us rolling on the playa. The poker faces of the "performers" (door guy, security team, protestors, paparazzi) and their simple-but-effective props...guest list that you are not on (loser!), red stanchion (please back away sir) neon sign, ear pieces, and abundant disdain, made for the most pleasurable diss I have ever experienced. I can't wait to stand in line and get denied again in 09! :wink:

troyds

Post by troyds » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:08 am

Seeing the Devil get spanked at 7 Sins was pretty funny!

BlackRockBill

Sychronized Swimmers!

Post by BlackRockBill » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am

I was out by the man on Tuesday afternoon when I began to hear this orchestral music. I looked over to see a team of swimmers deploying from an art car where they proceeded to (flawlessly) execute a sychronized swimming routine! Complete with 50's style bathing suits and rubber bathing caps...

It was just the most random thing to see out there in the heat and dust of the playa.

Yeah, I'm still smiling at that...

joemomma

E and 2:45

Post by joemomma » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:33 pm

So,it's night time and I am walking across the playa 9 to 3, going to meet some friends. I get so lost out there.. Ohhhh look at the art? Ohhh look at the art...
Anyway, I am at the other end, walking and stop to ask these people for a location check. So I go...." I'm looking for E".... they look at each other and are like...dude, we don't do drugs... I'm like?? HUH?????? then the bell rings..... When I said, I;m looking for E St.. you could see the relief on their faces.......
Anyway, my story....

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Davoid wrote:Well, this doesn't entirely count 'cause I didn't witness it, but it happened in my camp and I got the lowdown from my 'mates after the fact.

We have some very cool lanterns from Bali, about 3 feet tall, multi-tiered, made of dark wood, glass, and capped with what looks like bound goat hair. Four of them line the front of our camp, Playa Surfers.

On Wednesday night, a...gentleman...in a very altered state proceeded to woo and eventually copulate with one of them. Like, dick out and in some crevice that he found. Ouch! When he was forcibly persuaded away from the lantern, he protested "But she likes me!" Huge effort was then put forth to convince him of the reality of the situation, and to get him to basically fuck off. He came back a bit later and proceeded to demolish one of the lanterns in a fit of pique before leaving the scene. Wasn't caught.

So beware...the Mad Lantern Phukker is still out there!
Those must be really amazing lanterns!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Some geeks set up a huge sound stage and dance area in the burbs..

They had to shut the thing down at dusk.. but could run all night from fri. night on..

The music was a three beat electrionic drum for 20-30 min then a few words from some old song and back to the drum..

Come Fri, nite they try to hold a pole dance contest.. They got three dancers and about 50 people to watch. That over and back to the drum thing.. After awhile I walk over to have a look.. there was one 60 something lady trying to keep the beat and about six from there camp standing there.. Twenty min later the sound stopped and that was that..

I think it's funny as hell.

Some guy that still live with his mother and spend most of his time touching himself says he's a DJ..

It takes talent to get a dance moving.. There just are not that many talented DJ's

sarahbellum911

Post by sarahbellum911 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Sunday afternoon we were lured out by the potential of fresh homemade ice cream at 9:00 & E. By the time we arrived, the ice cream was gone. Instead we were greeted by a woman in the middle of the street having what appeared to be a rather amazing orgasm complements of the face planted between her legs. A group of about 6 of us watched as she finished and the two went their very separate ways. The only thing we could come up with was "How do you even start that conversation?!?"

fciron

Some DPW chick comandeered my underwear.

Post by fciron » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Saturday afternoon and I am hunkered down in my tent. It seemed like a good time for some cleaning and re-packing. I take of my sarong because it's cramping my style.

I hear some explosions and yelling so I head outside towards the noise. It's the DPW parade in the dust storm. Being a good citizen of Black Rock City I duck back into my tent and grab a half full bottle of bourbon. (Very nice sippin' whiskey hand-carried by yours truly from Kentucky.) I pass it up to some one on the roof of a passing truck and I get a cheer. Yay, me.

Then I hear a woman's voice "Is that UNDERWEAR?"

"What? I was in my tent, it's fucking Burning Man."

"No, THAT."

I look down and realize that I am holding a brand new, still-wrapped-around-the-little-piece-of-cardboard pair of boxers in my other hand. Slightly confused I hand them up to the dread-locked woman on the truck. She hollers and holds it over her head while her friends cheer.

Way better than the bourbon.

Rev_Sysyphus

Post by Rev_Sysyphus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 am

As told to me by my friends in camp who saw this:

At the 4:30 plaza there was a huge catsup bottle. Late at night the folks who installed said bottle would serve fresh cut fries at all comers. I did partake in the fries many times, but one night when I didn't my camp mates told me that the fry folks had given out colored potatoes with the rumor that the bearer of said potato would get free fries. Well the joke is that anyone who stands in line gets free fries. Apparantly someone not content with the status of the joke took it farther by telling the person who they gave the colored potato to that the potato allowed one to cut to the front of the line. Now the line for these fries was usually a 45 minute to 1 hour wait, so a free pass to the front would be quite the coup. Well this one night a person goes to the front of the line insisting that the green potato he is holding earns him speedy service. The fry cooks tell him that the potato earns him no such thing but the guy is not buying it. Soon the crowd in line start chanting "Douchebag, douchebag!" at the guy. Soon thereafter he leaves.

This was the one night where I didn't go with my camp mates to get fries. Looks like I missed out on a good show!
Eschew The Banal!

Rev. Sysyphus
http://loafington.wordpress.com

carn1fex

Post by carn1fex » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:45 pm

haha im in tears, these are hilarious!
fnord!

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:08 pm

we had a couple of german guys wander into camp, barely spoke english, asking if we knew where they could buy beer or water. they seemed amused that we couldn't direct them, and only offered some glasses of water for them to drink...we tried to splain things some, but I don't think they got much of it. ok, that's not funny that's sad

funny...funny...ok, or crazy. lessee...my favorite might be the brit who hung out with us and answered the god phone, he had the best accent, and he was a kind and benevolent god. sadly he was too drunk to walk, and whenever he tried to stand up he fell down knocking everything over. I personally found that hillarious, and endlessly amusing, to which my friend wondered what was up with me and the drunk boys. ok, that's more pathetic than funny. I guess. although I laughed pretty hard.

ok here, this was totally crazy. I got called out right before the man burn, and by the time I got back I thought I had missed conclave, but I guess they just didn't spin. anyways, once the man fell I was standing there wondering where the heck everyone from my camp had fucked off to, and all of a sudden a banging fire jam opened out of the crowd right in front of me, and I looked down and some of my friends were sitting at my feet. so I got a front row fire performance, and found my peeps too. yeah, you're right. that's just normal playa eventfulness. ok, I got nothin :)
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:12 pm

regynalonglank wrote:we had a couple of german guys wander into camp, barely spoke english, asking if we knew where they could buy beer or water. they seemed amused that we couldn't direct them, and only offered some glasses of water for them to drink...we tried to splain things some, but I don't think they got much of it.
Hm.
Man verkauft nichts hier.

Not elegant, but adequate, I hope.

Auf Bundesland kann man nights verkauft. I can't figure out how to talk about no commerce. How to Germans not know how to speak English? I thought it was pretty much manditory now? I mean, the only people who didn't speak English in TILAK were people older than me (Born 50s or earlier, perhaps) and the one nurse who had grown up in the part of the Tyrol that used to be Italy--his 2nd language learned in school was Italian. That's apparently changed since his childhood and they now teach English. Of course, they could have been Swiss or Argentinian. Who knows what nonsense they learn there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:55 pm

I think the craziest thing I saw was when I went into a pottie and found that the seat and lid had been ripped out. What a weird souvenir.

The funniest thing I saw was probably when two of my camp mates were having sex on top of our three story tower and some woman comes along wearing a badge. She makes them climb down and acts very serious and then gives them a citation for not using enough positions. Fucksake they were on top of a rickety tower made of old carports like 25' up in the air and she wants to see acrobatics.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 pm

willyloafofphora wrote:I think the craziest thing I saw was when I went into a pottie and found that the seat and lid had been ripped out. What a weird souvenir.

The funniest thing I saw was probably when two of my camp mates were having sex on top of our three story tower and some woman comes along wearing a badge. She makes them climb down and acts very serious and then gives them a citation for not using enough positions. Fucksake they were on top of a rickety tower made of old carports like 25' up in the air and she wants to see acrobatics.
Best one so far....BY far

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 pm

unjonharley wrote: Best one so far....BY far
For real. LMAO

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:51 am

willyloafofphora wrote:The funniest thing I saw was probably when two of my camp mates were having sex on top of our three story tower and some woman comes along wearing a badge. She makes them climb down and acts very serious and then gives them a citation for not using enough positions. Fucksake they were on top of a rickety tower made of old carports like 25' up in the air and she wants to see acrobatics.
Now THAT'S a prank... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Then there's the guy who was passed out along F(?) street near 7:00.

He was one drunk wookie. His camp buds pulled his pants down around his knees exposing his bare ass. The decided to see how many of those little theme camp zone marker flags they could stick in his ass.

By the time they were done his ass looked like plumage from a bird-of-paradise.

Return to “Stories”