Was anyone harassed at the "checkers gate" ?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:06 pm

This is very sad, if true, and I have no reason to believe that it isn't. Unfortunately departments can be at the mercy of who volunteers and you can end up with some shifts "greener" (as in less experienced) than others and the amount of close supervision can be lacking in those cases when you have a shift staffed mostly by first timers.

What also makes it difficult is that only people who work a certain minimum number of shifts get an official laminate. So you can be interacting with someone with no identification credential and it can be very difficult to report improper activity. I mean ... "some guy with a Mohawk and a tutu" can describe a thousand people at BRC.

What I would suggest someone do when they have a situation that is "just plain wrong" is to ask for the shift lead person and clarify what is going on.

At least they let you in with more than 3oz. of liquids, though.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:43 pm

So here is my story about the "confiscations" that have occurred this year - and I am not happy.

I brought 5 newbies with me this year - some fairly young, 19ish kids among them. While walking to meet me at a playa event, three of these kids were robbed of their glow ON THE PLAYA by what I am certain were some DPW fucktards. The kids were told they had to relinquish their lights by people who said they were BLM officers and even quickly flashed a badge. So now we are talking about impersonating an officer.

When I found out about this, I spoke to some of my DPW friends. Indeed, one of the games perpetrated by DPW this year was to relieve people of their stuff - for fun.

This goes beyond stupid schoolyard bullying. I bought the stuff that was taken from those kids and I only wish I had been with them when they were hijacked. The girl with my group was really BADLY frightened.

I have not yet communicated with the org - but I will. I have a lot to say that I think is better said to them rather than in this open forum.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm

All of this should be out in the open.
If they're ashamed of it, maybe they shouldn't do it.

Agencies really, really love to prosecute people committing crimes while impersonating them.
Be sure to contact them.
Federal time is without parole now, isn't it?

This reminds me of the assholes who thought it was funny to drive around shooting people with paintballs.
One pedestrian who thought he was being shot, nailed him with a 45.
Justifiable homicide, of course.

Robbers assume risks too.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:06 pm

gyre wrote:All of this should be out in the open.
If they're ashamed of it, maybe they shouldn't do it.
Given that the management style of the llc has a strong paranoiac tilt, I think it's wise for Mojo to deal with them directly, rather than ranting on the board. She can always tell us later if she wants, but she'd never be able to put that cat back in its bag once it's on the internet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:27 pm

I haven't run into the paranoid thing myself.

I agree there's a time and a place for ranting.

But if this happened this way, it is everyone's business as to the facts.

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:44 pm

In fact - the kids were meeting me at the Booby Bar and Zule heard them tell me the story. This happened Tuesday night right before the Night at the Opera.

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Maybe we can institute a suit against the Center Cafe for not smiling enough, while we're at it. I mean, it's the American Way, innit? Get our knickers twisted and sue!

How about we all try standing up for our own selves, right at the source? Maybe refuse to give up stuff without a darn good reason.
Maybe Stand Our Own Fookin' Ground.
Maybe use our spine when it's called for.

Were they cool, doin' what they did? Naw.
But it's a cheap lesson learned if a body gets some spine out of it and won't let it happen again.

Man the F' Up.
Or
Sue.

What's YOUR American Dream?

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Someone on the Esplanade tried to take my glowstick (which is actually battery operated, not a throwaway) and I told him to fuck off. I can see how a virgin would have been intimidated, though. The dude did the whole shine-a-flashlight-in-your-face-and-speak-with-authority bit pretty well. Oddly enough, I was also on my way to the Booby Bar...

Seriously though, not cool at all.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:44 pm

If you don't like to see robbers sued, give them your money.
Man up.

amosm

Rangers are not police, but should be able to help.

Post by amosm » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 pm

I agree with toolmaker for the most part (except, perhaps, his oddly worded 'Likely the Rangers could care less or unable to do anything or else something WOULD have been done when this was first reported.' )

It's hard to tell, since we don't have the Ranger's report, but I suspect that the process failed when he didn't direct the complainant to one of the many law enforcement agencies on site immediately. Rangers aren't cops, but they should be able to point one out to you and help you get the legal process going. I suspect that the story is probably more complex than has been presented, if only because we don't have the Ranger's report/story, we don't know if the PG&E or BM org's response has been (other than to see that that they haven't replied to the complainant on this board.)

I also agree with gyre's rant (if not his vitriolic spew): this was a crime and ought to be treated like one.

I'm hopeful that the complete story gets published. It will be interesting from both a legal and cultural perspective.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:32 pm

This is what my ranger friend said about the situation:

The Ranger may have reported it to LEAL (the people that interface to law
enforcement) but it would have been up to the complainant to go to the
police and file a report (any of the Sheriff's would be able to help.) The
police could have taken the complaint and even arrested the perp, given
cause.

Without having access to the details of the complaint or the Ranger's
report, I can only speculate as to the root cause. But I think the Ranger
should have directed the complainant immediately to law enforcement. Or the
complainant should have known that criminal activity needs to be reported to
police (seems like he was expecting the Ranger to do law enforcement and
this might have been the ultimate cause of the confusion.)
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:33 pm

I think the moral of the story here is that if someone tries to confiscate your blinky sword and you have not wielded it in an unsafe manner or caused it to be a hazard of any sort, the proper response is "Fuck off and die, bitch". Or something along those lines.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 pm

SOOOO, if someone trys to or takes my stuff.. I go "right"to the police and conplain.. correct?

gyre

Re: Rangers are not police, but should be able to help.

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:50 pm

amosm wrote: I also agree with gyre's rant (if not his vitriolic spew): this was a crime and ought to be treated like one.
Vitriolic!
Wow!
And here I thought I was being nice.:?
Just trying to be supportive really.

I can be vitriolic in the real world, but you'll know it if it happens.

As for confiscation, I once refused to give in to a cop's attempt to confiscate (=steal) a 20 inch bayonet I was carrying.
A time for diplomacy.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

mamagrrl wrote: How about we all try standing up for our own selves, right at the source? Maybe refuse to give up stuff without a darn good reason.
Maybe Stand Our Own Fookin' Ground.
Maybe use our spine when it's called for.
And for those poor folks who go a little deer in the headlights when something completely shocking happens--well just fuck 'em. Obviously inferior dna, no sympathy needed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:48 pm

Yes, especially after driving 12 hours or more...and thinking you are finally HOME and then being an instant victim of a crime...yep, no sympathy needed here.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:SOOOO, if someone trys to or takes my stuff.. I go "right"to the police and conplain.. correct?
(Bump)

I see, I ask for action and you all just want to talk about it??

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 pm

unjonharley wrote:
unjonharley wrote:SOOOO, if someone trys to or takes my stuff.. I go "right"to the police and conplain.. correct?
(Bump)

Seems like a better thing to do than beating the perpetrator to death with a piece of rebar to me, sure but it would probably be a sheriff you’d be talking to at the event.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Zulegoona wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
(Bump)

Seems like a better thing to do than beating the perpetrator to death with a piece of rebar to me, sure but it would probably be a sheriff you’d be talking to at the event.
Sheriff's is police no?

My point is.. put this word out to the herd.. if the asses know the law will visit them, there will be less of there activity.. The BMorg may want to put a stop to having the law visit them also..Who wants a cop with a "report" at there moring meetng..

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 pm

We caught a thief and sat on him until the police arrived once.
That was somewhat satisfying.

Most of them laugh at jail though.
They consider the profit margin well worth the few times they get caught.
Sentences are pathetic compared to drugs charges.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

gyre wrote:We caught a thief and sat on him until the police arrived once.
That was somewhat satisfying.

Most of them laugh at jail though.
They consider the profit margin well worth the few times they get caught.
Sentences are pathetic compared to drugs charges.
At the very lest, I would have the satisfaction of fucking up there time on the desert.. And maybe getting my stuff returned..

zabsinth

Post by zabsinth » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 am

DPW tried to confiscate my beer a number of times - I just told them that it was in my "friend's" van, down thataway... and that they were welcome to it...

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:56 am

It sounds like a few people decided that playing the "authority whore" role was a character that fits in with the theme for this year (yet another reason why themes are a terrible idea). "I am the law, I command you to relinquish your glow stick because it might be a weapon of mass destruction.." etc etc.

I wasnt out there this year, but I have been a part of PG&E for many, many years and I can tell you that this incident is being investigated and will definitely not be recurring next year.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

PatfromOre

Post by PatfromOre » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:03 am

We got to the gates about 7:00 am Monday in our M.H., they didn't even come into our M.H. to check to see if we were hidding anything or anybody. That was a big surprise to the wife and I. we had some cold PBR beer on ice waiting for the inspection, but they just flagged us through. too bad they missed out on a cold brew..

Intubater69

Post by Intubater69 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:00 am

PatfromOre wrote:We got to the gates about 7:00 am Monday in our M.H., they didn't even come into our M.H. to check to see if we were hidding anything or anybody. That was a big surprise to the wife and I. we had some cold PBR beer on ice waiting for the inspection, but they just flagged us through. too bad they missed out on a cold brew..

Yeah, we also had a nice 5th of tequila for them, but as the duststorm was just starting (11am-ish) they just wandered around our truck and let us pass the threshold to home.
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan

trevkong

I'd have to say

Post by trevkong » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:53 am

Last year the greeters were awsome, laid back, and very helpful. It was our first year and they really started us on the right note to fully experience what is now my new x-mas. This year we arrived at midnight for the gate opening, and i have to say the experience was far different. We were stopped multiple times (and i mean as in 5 or 6 times along the wait) as we idled in line by checkers, not just at the checking and greeting station as before.

Half of them were already extremely drunk, and all but 1 of them was very aggressive in asking for gifts. One even went so far as to "check" our coolers and and crack open our case of beer to help himself.

I honestly didnt even know what to say to the guys, and didnt want to delay the line with a scene, so i let it go, and wrote it off as bad luck. Was there a different method used to choose these people this year? I think the most depressing part of all was seeing their loot stashes piled behind the stations as we finally passed in, nice shakedown operation.

As the original poster said however, the residents of our city made it trivial overall, but volunteering to man the gates is just that, volunteering. When i ladle soup at the homeless shelter, i dont bring a tupperware container with me to take home.

P.S. older naked gentlemen greeters from last year, i love you :)
http://facebook.com/trevkong

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:03 am

That's odd..I come through a the stroke of midnight too..

The gate folk were having there hands full of handling to flow..

I was asked if I had a ticket and a permitt for the MV.. Then get a move on.. Times a wasting..

The greeters had me unlock my doors to look inside.. poked in the trailer and almost throw me over the border home

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:11 am

I think the moral of the story here is that if someone tries to confiscate your blinky sword and you have not wielded it in an unsafe manner or caused it to be a hazard of any sort, the proper response is "Fuck off and die, bitch". Or something along those lines.

and yet another reason why i carry a taser....ever see a gate checker involuntarily pee themselves?

if one ever pulls that shit on me, you will.
Frida Be You & Me

trevkong

Post by trevkong » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:12 am

[quote="unjonharley"]That's odd..I come through a the stroke of midnight too..

The gate folk were having there hands full of handling to flow..

I was asked if I had a ticket and a permitt for the MV.. Then get a move on.. Times a wasting..

The greeters had me unlock my doors to look inside.. poked in the trailer and almost throw me over the border home[/quote]

Ya last year was the same for me as well, but it was a wed, so slower, more mellow, and more fun, esp when they learned we were virgins. Like i said, im erring on the side of just plain coincidence and bad luck, just hoping my contribution to this thread will give us an idea of whether it was part of a trend or just a few random assholes.
http://facebook.com/trevkong

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 am

unjon, nice to meet you btw, greeters aren't supposed to check for anything other than humans to greet.

during my shifts this year i never saw greeters inspecting or checking cars or rvs,...only for stowaway virgins to roll in the dust.

we got a lot of tecate out windows. it was muy bueno.
blow.

Return to “Stories”