What was the music that was playing before the temple burn?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
pizzamancer
Burning Since: 2008

What was the music that was playing before the temple burn?

Post by pizzamancer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Does anyone know what band or music was playing the night of the temple burn just before the burn? I am sure it was from an art car because it was playing in the morning near 3:00 and A as well.

It was kind of a deep Russian sounding slow singing. Anyone?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:28 am

I believe it was Farsi...the ArtCar was the BombSquad, I know that MonkeyPuzzle had something to do with it, they 'lived' at 3:30 and Esplanade....

alphabetty

temple burn music

Post by alphabetty » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:49 pm

We sat in front of SOLOVOX, an art car with this wonderful electronica. Check out the website, google solovox. I am forgetting the name of the man that chanted there at the end, but if I remember, I will come back and post. He has recordings and plays live.

alphabetty

Was it Krishna Das?

Post by alphabetty » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Im thinking it was this guy who did that chant at the end:

www dot krishnadas dot com

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Krishna Das it was! I am listening to them right now.

Thanks You!

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Oh how this takes me back. <sniffle>

THANK YOU.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:47 pm

If you were closer to 11-ish, that was Dean Martin coming from the white boat.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

solovox

Post by solovox » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm

Hey guys...I am the performer that was playing from sunset until the Temple burned. I was performing my original tracks live until I played the Krishna Das track...then the Temple crew had three performers do the chanting and singing for the burn itself.

The bus, btw, is The Mobile Groove Bomb...they just made me a dope-tastic sign for when I play out there because they got tired of telling people who I was! :-)

Mosin

Post by Mosin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Bless you!! Thanks so much. The music set an amazing tone and propelled the event beyond my deepest imaginings. Namaste.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

mk-ultra

Post by mk-ultra » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 pm

thanks for posting this info. we sat nearby while this played. I really wanted to know what it was.

pizzamancer

Post by pizzamancer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:44 pm

solovox wrote:Hey guys...I am the performer that was playing from sunset until the Temple burned. ..
Any links to your music?

(If posting them seems too commercial, then PM me please)

solovox

Post by solovox » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:07 pm

I have over 5 hours of free music streaming at www.solovox.com

Most of it is of my 'dancier' material, but there are a more than a few mellow tracks as well.

Starting at tomorrow's show here in Portland I'm going to be selling all the music I played at this year's BM. It's my way of taking everyone's sacred experience and cashing in. ;-) Seriously, I'm broke.

Within a week or so I will have the entire pre-Temple set uploaded onto MySpace for download...stay tuned to the website!

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:19 pm

who were the live vocalists? I also thought it was Farsi, and that woman (I think it was a woman...) had the most amazing voice, so fierce and sorrowful. very deep. I loved the live vocals...from where I was sitting that was really all I heard, but it was dark when I got there. If there is any way to get a recording of that song, the live song that was going on as they lit the fire...I would really love to hear that again.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Mosin

Post by Mosin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 pm

If it was Farsi I'm prety sure I would have heard it... unless it was being projected from the 10:00 side (we were at around ~4:30). Can anyone else confirm/deny this? I would love to have heard some beautiful Persian (Tajik? Urdu?) music to get in the mindset, although the Solovox and Krishna Das did me just right.

Speaking of soulful, epic Persian/Farsi music, have you ever heard of Ali Reza Eftekhari? Never mind the moustache... his "Mastaneh" (lit: Drunk... with passion, love and/or inebriants) is an interwoven, thematic modern cult favorite/epic in Iran. Last year when I was in Isfahan we saw a TV special with a woman in light hejab (and layers of makeup) reading the lines of Mastaneh passionately as if it was Ferdowsi or Hafez (!)...interwoven with Ali Reza singing the eithre "album" in a production video. I get so used to the draconian laws when I'm there I have to say I was a bit shocked! :shock: Racy shit for the IRI indeed!

Check it:

http://www.musicboxla.com/alirezefmas.html
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:34 am

I have a friend that sings some songs in Farsi actually, you might like it

http://www.haale.com/

Haale camped with us one year, she's really great. perfect desert music, to be sure.

I bet someone from the temple has a hookup for that music we heard, maybe not a recording, but I would just love to know the songs origins, and the name of the singer.

I have not heard of Ali Reza Eftekhari but I will check that out, for sure. thank you!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Mosin

Post by Mosin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 am

Sedaye Khanome haale khayli shirin o gashang-o ghavi-st. Barakallah. Mashallah.

Just tell her that, K? ;) Loved it! Thanks for the link.

Ghorbanet,

Mosin

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:26 pm

ok, I have forwarded it, I'll let you know if she responds :)

and thank you for the link to that other music, it's very perky. I work with someone who lived in Egypt for a while, I'm going to play it for her and see what she says.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I love Mobile Groove Bomb.

They played Beethoven‘s “Ode To Joyâ€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

yumba junkie

Temple burn verse

Post by yumba junkie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 am

I heard a woman's voice too, she was speaking over some great back ground music. I couldn't hear anything she said till the last verse (drunk group of tourists behind us and people arguing). It was something like, "In the vastness of the void, may the temple of the heart ignite" just as the temple was lit. Holy shit WOW. It gave me chills and tears streamed down my face. I meditated the entire time it burned using those words as a mantra. It was an unbelievable experience and made my 1st temple burn a thousand times better than how it started out. Thank you to who ever that was. Anyone know??
Luxury is the enemy of observation.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:57 pm

I think that was the temple crew too. I'm hoping someone from temple camp will come on here and set us all straight :)

yo - arrangers of the sacred trash - deets!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

sattelite5812

Post by sattelite5812 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:02 pm

solovox wrote:Hey guys...I am the performer that was playing from sunset until the Temple burned. I was performing my original tracks live until I played the Krishna Das track...then the Temple crew had three performers do the chanting and singing for the burn itself.
Thank you for playing the perfect tracks to compliment the tone of the evening :D and thank you for respecting the request for silence once the burn began...

Also thanks for the link to your website, I'm enjoying the streaming music very much!

TwitchySleeper

At last!

Post by TwitchySleeper » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Yeah, thanks for the spirit Mobile Groove Bomb and everybody for this discussion. It was the exact same question I'd been asking myself since Temple Burn, about one of the songs playing from that art car...

So I guess I found my answer, about 8 months later and having never forgotten that night - it was Krishna Das singing a chant in Hindi called Sri Hanuman Chaleesa, I think...

Thanks for the banter Burners ;o)

Return to “Stories”