Was anyone Caressed at the Greeters Gate?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:51 pm

There are 7 people going up with me 1-2 days early this year to help start setting up our camp. Only myself and my partner in crime are veteran burners. The remaining 5 are virgins, including my girlfriend. I for one hope we will have a decent greeter who insists on playa angels + bell ringing while screaming "I'm not a virgin anymore" ... at a minimum...
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:10 pm

i was a virgin last year so i did the hopping and the ringing of the bell. I was so excited that i like wacked that bell as hard as i could and damn near made myself deaf LOL

It was cool
i dint get any touching but i got a big hug and it was great it set the tone.
I have post playa depression :(

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 pm

This year will be my virgin Burn and I'm so looking forward to the Greeters. Whether I get the full drop 'n roll treatment or just a pleasant "welcome home", I'll be thrilled to be there. Although I've been working on getting there for a long time, I'm making a point of having no expectations. I actually haven't told my husband about the Greeters' various traditions. I love a good surprise! It sounds like the Greeters are a great bunch. I have heard some disturbing things about the Gate in other posts though. I'm hoping that the reports of theft and nastiness last year were isolated. I'm not expecting candy-coated utopia or anything, just a bunch of people gathered for a good/silly/provocative/creative/fun/illuminating/ridiculous time away from the default world.
Is that so much to ask? :wink: :wink:

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:45 pm

I think that the Gate staff will try hard to be sure they aren't infiltrated by people behaving very badly, making them look bad. Gate and perimiter are some of the very hardest working people there and I'm sure they were not happy that they got called out for the stunts pulled by the "fill ins".

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:47 pm

There is nothing like an honest "welcome home" greeting. Just the thought of hearing that gives me goose bumps. Gawd I can't wait. Bring on the dust and the bacon.
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

ism

Post by ism » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I came through the gates with my step-dad, and half sister in a Sportsmobile (I tented it) about an hour before the schweet duststorm Monday morning. We were all Birgins. It was either the full on flow of the influx, or them mistaking us for return burners, but we only got the shake down and the "Welcome Home.".

When I heard it, and looked at all the people around, I thought I was suddenly in the land of "Misfit Asshats" pretending to be kewl on the playa. I regretted my decision for listening to my step-dad and coming along, and the long search for a ticket for my snobbish little sister in Reno who demanded to come with after I met my family in Moab to go there with just my step-dad after their vacation. I was just grumpy from the long trip down the "loneliest hwy in the US", which is feckin' gorgeous.

Yeah, so no great welcome...this year, I gives a fcuk, I'm hitting the playa at the gate and screaming, "you missed me last year, I'm born again!".

Funny thing though, as someone mentioned, previously, about the "welcome home", Thurs., or Fri. I walked to the fringe with a few people during sunset, they were taking pictures. I'm apparently not outgoing enough, I never got copies, but a dirty hippy just strolled by and said, "welcome home.". It hit hard, and I finally got it.

BrotherDan

Post by BrotherDan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Got in a little late on Monday and had to wait while the storm subsided. My greeter just gave me a pleasant "Welcome Home" and sent us through. I was a little sad I didn't get the virgin treatment, though waking up the next morning to a beautiful women offering me frozen cider more than made up for it.

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:21 pm

There was a rumor last year that there had been an incident at Greeters in which a greeter had gone off on a burner. I was never able to confirm it asbeing true or false. I also heard that a person at gate had been nice to a burner but that is too far fetched to believe.

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Where do I go to get caressed?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Da Mule wrote:Where do I go to get caressed?
Kobe beef shed..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am

Playa Tom wrote:There was a rumor last year that there had been an incident at Greeters in which a greeter had gone off on a burner. I was never able to confirm it asbeing true or false. I also heard that a person at gate had been nice to a burner but that is too far fetched to believe.
If it's the incident I think you mean, then it turned out that it was, I think, a dpw worker disguised as a greeter. Or something like that. We went into very excruciating detail about the incident somewhere on this board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 am

Meh. After the first year, greeters are just a speedbump on my road to Bartertown.

I wish they would consolidate everything at gate so the greeters do their thing while the unwashed rummage through my shit.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Token wrote: I wish they would consolidate everything at gate so the greeters do their thing while the unwashed rummage through my shit.
They used to do that, until they found out that pickpockets had patented that move and the llc didn't want to pay the royalties.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am

theCryptofishist wrote:They used to do that, until they found out that pickpockets had patented that move and the llc didn't want to pay the royalties.
Same with Barter. Got replaced with the whole gifting crap on account of taxes.

"You can never go home Oatman, but I guess you can shop there"

Eventfarm
Burning Since: 2010

greeter fail

Post by Eventfarm » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:59 pm

I had heard that the greeters are as fabulous as everyone here is saying. Unfortunately, last year (my first year) I arrived at 2 am on Thursday morning. I was telling my travelmates all the traditions as we pulled in. The greeter only asked to see our tickets and look in the back of the camper.

No welcome, no directions, no instructions, no information at all. We were only a bother to them because we took them away from their group of friends partying nearby.

I was really disappointed and it really made me feel like I wasn't one of the "cool kids". Of course, by the time we got to camp, and was welcomed in with open arms by the strangers there, I felt the love...

For those volunteering as a greeter, remember that even the non-playanized persons may be cool kids inside.
:)

mojo

Post by mojo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:59 am

Eventfarm -

The people taking tickets and searching for stowaways are the GATE staff, not Greeters.

You can recognize the Greeter's station by the little white tent-pylons with flags on them that you pass through AFTER you have left the gate. (It sounds like somehow you guys cruised right through the Greeter's station without stopping!)

This year, tell your greeter that you are a born-again virgin because they missed you last year. I guarantee that if they are not slammed with a million cars at the time, they will be happy to babtize you properly.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:12 am

also probably get a more enthusiastic reception if you arrive sometime other than 2 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Eventfarm
Burning Since: 2010

humm..

Post by Eventfarm » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:39 am

I never saw another gate.... it was a little dark and I was way distracted by the flashing lights and fire in the distance. :)

Ok, so I bring two sets of freezy pops - 1 for the ticket takers and one for the greeters.

I'll let them know that I'm a born again virgin... I love it!

Thanks for the info!

mojo

Post by mojo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:00 am

If there is a big line of cars at the Greeter's station when you come through, tell your greeter that you want to pull over so you can be de-virginized (there is a place to park just past and to the right of the greeter's station - porta potties available too). That way you can take all the time you like without holding anyone else up that's behind you.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say WELCOME HOME!

Red Dirt Mother

Post by Red Dirt Mother » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 am

I haven't even been yet, so not to the point of losing my virginity, BUT know I want to be a greeter.
~Lizz

I give love as my highest offering.

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Ok, so I understand this, there will be a gate where tickets are taken, and then another stop at the greeters station?

How many should I expect to be manning each station (so as to have enough gifts) and what is the preferred gift? Beer? Cold water? More beer? Popsicles? Frozen beer on a stick?

mojo

greeter

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Ozzie - it really depends on what time of day on which day you come in to the city in regard to how many people are around. Gifts to Gate and Greeter are not necessary and not "expected". (It gets really dry and dusty out there for 4 hour shifts though!)

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Mojo - I understand the gifts are neither expected or required, but it's something my bride and I (both virgins) want to do. As you say, it has to get hot 'n dusty out there, so we'd like to show our appreciation to the folks spending the time out there to welcome everyone.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Hot chocolate is nice at night.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Ozzie wrote:Mojo - I understand the gifts are neither expected or required, but it's something my bride and I (both virgins) want to do. As you say, it has to get hot 'n dusty out there, so we'd like to show our appreciation to the folks spending the time out there to welcome everyone.

I always find a few used small ice chest at yard sales.. I clean them up.. Then pack them with beer and water and pack them with ice.. Gate gets one and greeters get one.. The ice chests get reused and lots of smile are received....

For some reason PBR goes over well........ :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:58 am

For those needing to be caressed by a large blue canine, please come thru Greeters Tuesday morning and I will gladly oblige!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Could you deliver that Caressing to my camp?? 9:15 and Kinship!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 pm

ibdave wrote:
Ozzie wrote:Mojo - I understand the gifts are neither expected or required, but it's something my bride and I (both virgins) want to do. As you say, it has to get hot 'n dusty out there, so we'd like to show our appreciation to the folks spending the time out there to welcome everyone.

I always find a few used small ice chest at yard sales.. I clean them up.. Then pack them with beer and water and pack them with ice.. Gate gets one and greeters get one.. The ice chests get reused and lots of smile are received....

For some reason PBR goes over well........ :roll: :roll: :roll:
You, sir are a GOD! (But you shouldn't forget the Diet Pepsi)

velvetlush

Post by velvetlush » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Last year (08) was my first year, I camped with the greeters and was their cook for the entire 14days out there.

Just FYI, if you wanna volunteer for the greeters and are not camping with them. You don't need a schedule. Just show up, ask to talk to whoever can help ya out and they'll get ya setup and started greeting.

We try to be the relief after dealing with gate since they get to/have to be the dicks who once over and take things (like seated vehicles) to D-lot since they're restricted in the rules. It's their job though.. and greeters is pretty much setup to be a positive note after dealing with the rules BS. A cold beer. EVEN at 4am is always a welcome gift!

Anything a greeter is doing that is inappropriate should be mentioned to someone. For the most part we try to keep it clean... in some sense of the word =P

In order to receive things such as spankings. Greeters have to be asked for them nowadays. (since a suit filed by a virgin a few years back due to unrequested spankings.) We'll do anything and everything to make your welcome home as fun and enjoyable as we can. If there's anything we can do for you, such as letting you ride the ringing bell *grin* ask!!!!!

I will sure as hell be back to work greeters this year. It was probably one of the greatest experiences of my first year at burning man. I've had people break down in tears when I told them "Welcome home" it means as much to us as it does you.

See ya on the playa, T- 4days .... tick tock.

Kiddo / hugslut

Shawnster

Greeters at the gate

Post by Shawnster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 pm

I wasn't caressed but I was warmly welcomed! It was my first time and I soon understood why people kept saying, 'welcome home.'

http://www.guttersnipenews.com/

Return to “Stories”