Ghosts at Temple Burn?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
alphabetty

Ghosts at Temple Burn?

Post by alphabetty » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:53 pm

We saw hundreds, it was teeming with them. Did anyone else see them?

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 pm

You may want to rename this, "Drugs at Temple Burn!"
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:02 pm

MikeVDS wrote:You may want to rename this, "Drugs at Temple Burn!"
BUAHAHAHAHA
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:14 am

I wrote my dads name & year of death (1993), and had to leave before I saw the Temple burn...just like I never had a chance to say goodbye to him.

I hope his spirit was there with everyone, having a good time like I was.

Laughing Forest

Post by Laughing Forest » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:10 am

>We saw hundreds, it was teeming with them. Did anyone else see them?

No. Why? Because ghosts don't fucking exists.

mars

Post by mars » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Hmmm...I wonder how the ghosts knew to go there so you could see them. Like if someone died in New York and there was a memorial to them in the Temple, did they get an invitation to fly there for the party? I wonder if they had to RSVP before attending.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Fried_Eagle_Mind

Post by Fried_Eagle_Mind » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Cool concept though

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Possible confusion with "ancestors" or whirlwinds?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 am

No reason you wouldn't have seen something.

Think about all the energy trapped in there..

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 am

Just because you refuse to acknowledge something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 am

And just because you stampede toward the supernatural doesn't mean there aren't a dozen natural explanations you discarded in your haste to validate a pathetic smorgasbord of unsubstantiated belief.

zabsinth

Post by zabsinth » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Just because you refuse to acknowledge something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
And just because you acknowledge something doesn't mean it exists....

mars

Post by mars » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 am

And just because something exists, it doesn't mean I have to acknowledge it. :mrgreen:
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

EtherNinja

Post by EtherNinja » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 am

During the temple burn there were several whirlwinds spinning out of the flames towards the east. Local tribal legend claims these to be the souls of ancestors made manifest by the fire- seems to be in accord with the spirit of the temple burn.
Some might take the logical approach towards explaining the phenomenon by stating the fact that the weather conditions were perfect that night for creating the effect. The dust had been heating up all day, and the cold winds from the northeast caused the dust and flames to rise with relative ease, which is also responsible for the dust storm that followed. But that time, at that place, it all seemed to fall into perfect synchronicity. It made for a particularly moving and spectacular temple burn.

Yes- I believe that there were ghosts at the temple burn.
You don't need to be stupid to be smart

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am

And just because you are acknowledged does not mean that you exist. Descartes asserted that he existed (or at least he thought so), but that's no longer the case, since he is now a ghost. Or not.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

I've seen the whirlwinds at the Man Burn in years past. Doesn't mean I think they are spirits.

Firmwood

Post by Firmwood » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:09 am

Look, a video of the ghosts that someone uploaded...

Well, either that or the high, and somewhat chilly, winds, were hitting the wall of heat and creating mini weather systems.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:22 am

The Man burns, 2001.

Firmwood

Post by Firmwood » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 am

I think I can see slimer.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 pm

dr.placebo wrote:And just because you are acknowledged does not mean that you exist. Descartes asserted that he existed (or at least he thought so), but that's no longer the case, since he is now a ghost. Or not.
I think, therefore I am.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Stop! You're skeering me!

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:18 pm

EtherNinja wrote:During the temple burn there were several whirlwinds spinning out of the flames towards the east. Local tribal legend claims these to be the souls of ancestors made manifest by the fire- seems to be in accord with the spirit of the temple burn.
Some might take the logical approach towards explaining the phenomenon by stating the fact that the weather conditions were perfect that night for creating the effect. The dust had been heating up all day, and the cold winds from the northeast caused the dust and flames to rise with relative ease, which is also responsible for the dust storm that followed. But that time, at that place, it all seemed to fall into perfect synchronicity. It made for a particularly moving and spectacular temple burn.

Yes- I believe that there were ghosts at the temple burn.
AMEN (from a hardcore athiest). That was the most moving, spiritual moment I can remember. We placed items and photos in the temple of three dear, young friends of ours who died in June and July... a horrific car crash... a lost battle with breast cancer, and another to pancreatic cancer. Whatever scientific explanation applies to the conditions/moment, I saw Samantha and Jeremy and Brett spin out of that temple like ecstatic Mevlevis, and it was glorious. :cry: :lol:

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 pm

I schtupped Demi Moore at the Temple Burn, does this count?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

couglite

Post by couglite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I put my mom's travel journals in the temple because she would have loved to be at Burning Man, or at least see me and her grandson there. I am atheistic as hell, but those whirlwinds brought me to tears and just writing this brings chills.

Scientific explanations aside, at that moment in time, seeing those fingers flying out of the temple one after the other, I could think of nothing but my mom and all the other memories and expressions of love, forgivness and peace inside. It was fabulous.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 pm

steveboy wrote:And just because you stampede toward the supernatural doesn't mean there aren't a dozen natural explanations you discarded in your haste to validate a pathetic smorgasbord of unsubstantiated belief.
I’m not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive. In a conversation with my brother once, he stated that he believed that, “There is no such thing as the supernatural, only natural phenomena that we have yet to understandâ€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 am

The Ghosts of Burningman Past
People assume that science excludes subjective phenomena, as if reality is objective and only objective. But the truth is that the scientific method excludes subjective experiences as unverifiable. That's different from saying that they don't exist.

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:23 pm

couglite wrote:Scientific explanations aside, at that moment in time, seeing those fingers flying out of the temple one after the other, I could think of nothing but my mom and all the other memories and expressions of love, forgivness and peace inside.
<verklempt> Thanks so much for sharing that. What an amazing moment of catharsis and release. Makes me think of V. Turner's work on Liminality. I'm still deeply moved....

Big Hugs,

Mosin
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

couglite

Post by couglite » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:55 pm

yes, I felt completely in tune with both worlds - not necessarily the spiritual and the corporeal, but when all those memories went up in flames, and the crowd of 30,000 went dead quiet, I felt a true connection with the minds and souls of those around me and when we all saw the fingers at the same time, there was a collective catch of breath and we were all in sync.

I believe this was the transforming moment for me, when I finally "got" the idea of Burning Man. A true rite of passage and transcendence.

Believe me, this is huge. I am normally an extremely practical and no-nonsense, somewhat anal legal secretary. Now I need daisies in my hair.

moshe!

Post by moshe! » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Another unexplained phenomena is people who dont belive in religion or the supernatural being really rude and condescending when describeing their beliefs. Its a mystery!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Now that I come to think of it, I've never been treated condescendingly by a christian. Wow.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Stories”