Ghosts at Temple Burn?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
moshe!

Post by moshe! » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Now that I come to think of it, I've never been treated condescendingly by a christian. Wow.
Oh you have too! religious nuts were the assholes of last season, this seasons asshole is the anti-religious nuts. Fanatics seem to suck no matter what their cause, even when I agree with it. Better to dissagree without being dissagreeable.

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Now that I come to think of it, I've never been treated condescendingly by a christian. Wow.
Really. You've never had a Christian express regret that you aren't Saved? Say he would pray for you? Say he's worried about your soul? Get smug because he knows where he's going to be when the Rapture arrives? All I can say is, you've been blessed in your Christian encounters.

==EDITED== I just realized Cryptofishist was being sarcastic. Oopsy. My bad.

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 am

moshe! wrote:Oh you have too! religious nuts were the assholes of last season, this seasons asshole is the anti-religious nuts. Fanatics seem to suck no matter what their cause, even when I agree with it. Better to dissagree without being dissagreeable.
If by "season" you mean the last several thousand years, well, who can argue? Let's hope we can bask in a couple of seasons of the sandal being on the other foot. And if by "fanatic" you mean "someone who pushes back," well, count me in and tell me where to send my membership dues.

moshe!

Post by moshe! » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:41 am

steveboy wrote:
moshe! wrote:Oh you have too! religious nuts were the assholes of last season, this seasons asshole is the anti-religious nuts. Fanatics seem to suck no matter what their cause, even when I agree with it. Better to dissagree without being dissagreeable.
If by "season" you mean the last several thousand years, well, who can argue? Let's hope we can bask in a couple of seasons of the sandal being on the other foot. And if by "fanatic" you mean "someone who pushes back," well, count me in and tell me where to send my membership dues.
Oh yeah, have you been opressed by the new agey burners who saw ghosts at the temple burn? Good thing you pushed back at them. Radical position man! Heavy stuff!

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:05 am

moshe! wrote:
steveboy wrote:
moshe! wrote:Oh yeah, have you been opressed by the new agey burners who saw ghosts at the temple burn? Good thing you pushed back at them. Radical position man! Heavy stuff!
Maybe you could take your head out of the playa dust for a bit and look at the world around you. This country was attacked by religious nuts 7 years ago today. A religious nut responded. Naw, none of this touches us.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Have some Christian condescension:

http://damnnearwiley.com/LoudMouthWomen.jpg

http://damnnearwiley.com/godhateseverybody.jpg

(note: These are real.)

Loud Mouth Women, High Fullutent and Sports Fan's [sic]...sorry, man. You're screwed.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm

here's how i described it for our campmates who could not be there:

"at one point there was a flash, and then the smoke spirals began to emerge from the fire. a procession of spirits danced in the night, surrounded by galaxies of embers and smoke swirling around them as they whirled by us into the open air. the night was cold, rumours of rain had been circulating all day, an oddly chilly sunday with ominous cloud cover and shifting winds."

for me it is like the dia de los muertos, a time for the ancestors to manifest and move among us, as we honor them for who they were, and who we are - their dreams come to life. call it what you will, it was a powerful moment.

someone told me a story about meeting a native american from that area, who said they believe the black rock desert is the happy hunting ground, and that we honor the spirits with our celebration of life and creativity, in community *drink!* whatever you believe it's a neat idea IMHO
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

couglite

Post by couglite » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:57 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:Have some Christian condescension:

http://damnnearwiley.com/LoudMouthWomen.jpg

http://damnnearwiley.com/godhateseverybody.jpg

(note: These are real.)

Loud Mouth Women, High Fullutent and Sports Fan's [sic]...sorry, man. You're screwed.
I love the one that points out "adulteresses" specifically, but not adulterors? Must be polygamists....

raising a child to think this way is paramount to child abuse. and while I find it amusing that there really are people like that out there, these also tend to be the people with the guns and the money and for some reason, the power....

moshe!

Post by moshe! » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 pm

steveboy wrote:
moshe! wrote:
steveboy wrote: Maybe you could take your head out of the playa dust for a bit and look at the world around you. This country was attacked by religious nuts 7 years ago today. A religious nut responded. Naw, none of this touches us.
Um maybe you should take your head out of the richard dawkins book and reread the fact that im cognizant of religious extremism and the dangers of it. I just dont think it gives you the right to be a jerk to anyone who happens to disagree with your world view and cosmology. You think you have a monopoly on truth and so do they...y'all are exactly the same. I want nothing to do with either of you.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 am

ghosts, no.....spooks, yes.
Frida Be You & Me

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 am

I do believe in spooks, I do I do, I do believe in spooks

\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:37 pm

I've never been treated condescendingly by a christian. Wow.
Well then you obviously don't live in Kansas where the Christ-o-holics mandated teaching scripture-based creationism to your children/relatives because they don't believe that your choice of having professional educators do it is appropriate.
Desert dogs drink deep.

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

moshe! wrote: I want nothing to do with either of you.
Well, hell, that works out for you and for me, dunnit?

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Hold please, I'm going to need a bong hit and cup of coffee for this thread.

Did someone say there were Christian Ghosts at the Temple Burn this year?
don't forget to floss

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm

steveboy wrote:
==EDITED== I just realized Cryptofishist was being sarcastic. Oopsy. My bad.
Well, I'm glad someone figured it out.

whew! I"m dizzy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:08 am

BoiJoy ! the Breakfast of Champions ! I'm NOT ALONE !

dude, we have to do lunch......you should see what i do chemically at noon.
Frida Be You & Me

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:34 am

You think you have a monopoly on truth and so do they...y'all are exactly the same.
If you didn't realize there is a difference between their "truths". Maybe you should look a little harder at the issue. There is a difference between facts and belief. Religious nuts are mad that people (mostly religious as well, just not nuts), push evidence on them and try to avoid belief being used as justification for doing real things with real consequences. Some people believe what there is evidence of, not what they want to be the truth or what some nut wrote down 100's to 1000's of years ago in a book. Most of us are comfortable calling someone a nut who believes in Zeus or someone who burns witches, because we honestly look at the history and evidence of those things, how is that different than any other belief with no real evidence?
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:11 am

Me's thinkin'Simon might be a bad influence. He's making french fries at lunch. :|
don't forget to floss

alphabetty

Well.....I didn't mean the dust devil-ey things...

Post by alphabetty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:39 am

When I originally posted about the ghosts, I meant actual shifting figures in the temple BEFORE the burn, some darker colors, some lighter. Most of them were up on the second story but it looked to my partner and I (independently of each other) like a group of people up there setting up for the burn but then we realized that there were no people up there...just these shapes teeming up there like a packed cocktail party. Like, everyone invoked in there was there in spirit, in some way. Wow, if my mom was there, she probably really dug it! Hi Mom!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 pm

psssssssssst, betty, that was the mushroom sauce on the noodles you ate at dinner
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Stories”