A friend turned into a nightmare!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 am

hehee...yes US Nevada'ns keep a shaker of playa with the salt n pepper...cause food and drinks just dont taste right in defaultia!

There too is something to the "when the time is right" prtion of this thread topic....

I knew of BM since around 94' but for a bunch of reasons I was never able to go.....I got the itch real bad in 04' but still, being a single mom, work schedules lack of $ I wasnt able to make it out there till 06'
There REALLY is something to be said for:

Good things come to those who wait!
Nah, I think that line is a crock of shit too....

How bout' "it'll be better when Im older"

Guess that one will work for me...not for my Burnerbaby though....

Although ...she may not go in 09....at 15 she is now fully able to work her way towards her own way...and she sucked really bad at that detail this yr in her lack of participatory building and packing....

So I will be putting it toward her to either work her ass off to go or go stay with gramma!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: A friend turned into a nightmare!

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:16 am

brcprincess wrote:I have something to run by you all.

I have a friend whom I always considered very open minded and creative. The first time I came to BM, I could not stop thinking how much he would love it.

I talked to him for years about coming and finally bought him a ticket for his birthday and paid for a bunch of his supplies so he could come this year. I couldn't wait to see his face when he first rode out onto the Playa.

So he shows up and all he does is complain. He complains about how hard it was to organize everything, how tough it was to drive in, he complains about the weather, he is rude to our campmates, he complains about everything - non stop.

The first night we took him out on the Playa he said nothing. Not a single word. But not in an amazed sense, which would have been great. He was entirely detached, as though he wasn't even there. We couldn't fathom it.

By 5am, we asked him "so what do you think?" and he shrugs and says "kinda what I expected".

The entire time he was there, he never once looked at a piece of art. He never once said a positive word.

I know it sounds terrible but the entire incident really put me off him. I am going to find it hard to be his friend anymore. I look at him in a completely different way now.

Is this normal?
Yes

fciron

Post by fciron » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 am

[quote="jackmack"... if people want to come they will do it for themselves. Stop forcing your worldview on others! "i know you'll just love it".

...burning man is not a big party... it is very difficult & intense experience of self discovery to say the least... not everyone wants that forced down their throat via your vision of reality.[/quote]

I wish people would quit forcing their world-view that burning man is as intense spiritual journey of self-discovery down our throats.

Seriously, this was my first year and I had a great time and I plan on being back but I did not achieve enlightenment. I went because I already liked deserts, camping, sculpture, performance art, dressing up, fire, circuses, and a lot of other features of the festival.

I came back changed alright....

-- now I'm BROKE!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Chick I know back home says "hey, you went to Burning Man? That's sooo cool...I've always wanted to go, but no one's ever invited me!"

Yeah...like I'm going to "invite" her...WTF!

I ya wanna go, invite yerself.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Re: A friend turned into a nightmare!

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm

How about a friend of a friend?
I have told this story elsewhere on Eplaya - but here it goes. My buddy calls and asks if we have room for one more person.

I said "yep" she knows to bring all her stuff and what she needs?

"absolutely" was his response. He even gave her a copy of the survival guide and some videos we had.

So the day comes to roll and he meets me at my place to head out and she is with him. She has one small backpack, the type my kids carry to school. Since he has all of the camping stuf of his own, I assume that he has her stuff.

We leave Western Washington on I-5 and stop at a few stores in Central Oregon where she buys nothing.

We get to the playa through security and checkpoints and are at our camp. All of us are busy setting up - she bails to "sight see"

She was the worst campmate ever - I had to pay her camp fees (75.00) and on the spot because she was'nt told about it (so she says - even though i have emails back and forth to her to prove it) she came around to eat, make a mess, beg booze from anyone, and fuck random dudes in my buddies tent, on his bed.

They were not together, but god - thats just rude.

She even got pissy when WE did not arrange her ride to Reno on the transit for her. Normally we all get water from the shower, put in tower, and shower. Simple process. She boohoos because she does not even want to carry the water to the shower and begs for people to do it for her.

So to make this story short - Last day she is there and leaving with some sucker she says bye (leaving her trash for us to deal with)

I ask her " You make a lot of friends this year?"

"yes....I had a blast lots of new friends" she says

"GOOD STAY WITH THEM NEXT YEAR" I shouted at her.

Moving on -
brcprincess wrote:I have something to run by you all.

I have a friend whom I always considered very open minded and creative. The first time I came to BM, I could not stop thinking how much he would love it.......

Is this normal?
Yeah - i used to have the same problem. i thought my friends, even my closest friends would feel the same passion for the things I do, and normally they do.

Burningman is a major force for me in my life, I am on Eplaya right now in January, I build things all year to bring to BM, I love the art, I love the music, I sleep so little at BM because I dont want to miss anything!.

I had to reevaluate my expectations for my friends when I realized its just not for everyone. Dissapointed, sure I was.

I wanted them to have that "holy shit - did you see that... or WTF - look over there" moment I have all the time at BM.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 pm

THis last year was the Best weather I have ever seen or been apart of in BRC. WE had 3 days of picture perfect weather!!!

THe excitement comes over me when I think about Black Rock City...

I guess that I just forget- and get all caught up in telling people and inviting people to Burning Man. I have to remember that BRC Is NOT for every one!!!! ( I just want every one to LOVE love love it as much as I do)
And even friends that you think will HAVE the BEST TIME EVER may hate our fair City.

ANd even though you HAVE talked your head OFF trying to explain that YOU are Not the BAbysitter (and that the dessert is Dusty, HOT, Cold & windy) some people will still expect you to be JUST that their babysitter- If not - then they will feel abanded (that's what I was told this year)
ANd some people are JUST DDDAAaaaark wads to COOL to light themselves and its not really YOUR fault if they GEt RUN DOWn (just 'cause you brought them) The most important thing to do is make sure they read the back of their tickets - they may be under the inpression that if some one runs them down its that person fault NOT their OWN for being STUPID !!!

I have gone a couple years by myself and even though every year is AMAZING the Best Years have been WHen I went by myself!!

I had fun anyway last year, in spite of the Stupidity that I dealt with-

BUT I TELL YOU WHAT...
I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO WITH A GUY I DON'T KNOW TOTALLY AGAIN- In fact I may never travel again to BRC with a male of any kind- BOTh times I have done it their has been MAJOR MAJOR MAjor DRAMA !!!

WE all know how we love to deal with drama on our holiday away from the default world!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

LisaLuckyOne

Post by LisaLuckyOne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Barbie wrote: In fact I may never travel again to BRC with a male of any kind- BOTh times I have done it their has been MAJOR MAJOR MAjor DRAMA !!!
Maybe it's not the guys.
It's better to be Lucky!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I can be an absolute witch if not watered and medicated properly. Our core group of four is kinda funny, we're each control freaks, but we mesh well enough we get the job done.

Okay, how about friends of friends who invite more friends? And they all end up using your shit, making messes and partying right next to your tent? This was at Dark Skies. Grrrr. And one was a GF who I never did like ... I yelled at her the last day. Get the fuck put of my raw meat cooler, don't leave it open in this heat, you're going to get fucking food poisoning if you put contaminated ice in your fucking coffee and why didn't you ask me in the first place? ... she'd been pissing me off for days. The entire useless lot watched me get sick and just sat on their dumb asses until I begged them to find Genius, who saw I was in trouble and got me in to a trailer with AC as quick as he could. I was hydrated, but over-heated and confused.

Funny, that was a few years ago ... three I think. And the BF of the Mook is still telling me I wasn't giving her a chance, that I didn't know her well enough to judge her on one incident. Uh, I know her, he's around enough that's she's been to my home several times. I finally put my foot down with him. I asked she not attend a party of mine this year, because honestly, I can't stand her. He got insulted, okay, but he was telling me how I couldn't see her sterling qualities, her keen mind, and her high standards. Oh crap, most people never get to hear me get that pissed off. I told him the very unvarnished truth of my opinion. That was not pretty.

Although there wasn't much point to that ramble, other than don't expect that just because you're a couple, the people who like you will like your SO. You're the one doing the sausage dance, you're blind.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Ohhhhhh Its NOt the GUYS.... I know it's totally my problem that I'm Not the FRicking SLUT that they HOPE me to be..
and that I'm A bitch who EXCEPTS & even demands that PEOPLE do their part and KEEp THEIR WORD!!! I was raised that way!!
So if I say I'm gonna do something I DO IT!!! ANd If YoU tell ME your gonna do something then I expect You to DO IT!!
IF I don't want to OR can't do IT I'll say SO!! Soooo If you can't or don't want to do something I expect you to open your mouth and say SO!!

I don't try to pretend I can any way. I don't lie when I fuck Up I admit it and say sorry.
I AM What I'am and thats a spoiled rotten barbie girl!! I know this and accept it about my self - But I DO MY PART and a lot of the time someone elses also- I'm honest, helpful and I keep my word... Thats all you really have in life in the end.... sooooo the bottom line IS

and even if I'm dancing dressed like a whore, I won't be fucking your boyfriend or husband when your not looking 'cause I'm NOT the SLUT that men hope me to BE!! soooooo I'am what I'am and I expect to have things MY WAY or I wouldn't call myself BArbie

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:53 pm

OHhhhhhh and Miss LisaLuckyONe -I also have to say that men who POUT like 8 year old when they relize you won't be fucking them, refuse to wear glow sticks, or take a shower, throw big Fits, try to savatage putting up the shelter, Bitch non stop about the heat & dust and having to help hold down shelter, threten to leave you in BRC 'cause they want to leave early, drive home 7 hours out of the way-
make the best travel & camp MATEs, maybe YOUR camp needs a extra person!!!

Because HE won't be camping with ME!!

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:03 pm

yeah.. BM relationships are the worst.. I'ts like living with someone.. you just never know. I took 4 virgin friends out.. and the one I was most worried about "not hacking it" was totally kewell.. and the one I wasn't worried about was totally useless !!
I like to "fly solo" to the burn. Meet new folks, party all day, but camp alone.. I get crabby in the heat and no one want's to be a part of that.. also, I'm a super tidy camper.. other peoples messes freak me out.
You will NEVER EVER EVER.. find Moop at MY house. :) stop in for a drink though..
don't forget to floss

LisaLuckyOne

Post by LisaLuckyOne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Boijoy wrote:and the one I was most worried about "not hacking it" was totally kewell.. and the one I wasn't worried about was totally useless !!
There's a lesson there somewhere - I've lost track of how many people have told me similar stories.
It's better to be Lucky!

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:33 pm

ahhh Grasshopper.. there is a lesson everywhere you just have to learn how to reveal it... :lol:
don't forget to floss

LisaLuckyOne

Post by LisaLuckyOne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Barbie, I thought you were over generalizing before - specifically with regard to the "a male of any kind' bullshit - but now it appears your anger is directed towards one person.

Which is it?

Either way, I'd prefer to avoid you and your ex-boyfriend. Thanks.
It's better to be Lucky!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm

and thats just my POINT the guy was NOT MY BOYFRIEND either was the other guy my boyfriend these were PEOPLE I was sharing a ride with!! Who I didn't really know before arranging rides with and I had explained things very very very very clearly to.... Like I do ALL the Virgins I bring- I'm sorry if my- I May never travel with a male again; upset you.-

I know what you mean about not wanting to run into YOU either, any one who would jump on someone and read things into things, like you did me wouldn't make a good friend on or off the PLAYA!!
In fact it would surprise me if you are even a decent BURNER!!!

Soooooooo as THey say FUCK YER DAY!!!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Hey, both of you ... drink some water!

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm

does everyone seem a little "crabby-er" lately??
don't forget to floss

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I blame the ticket snafu.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 pm

ok, does a big dog need to come stop a cat fight?? Girls, you don't even know each other. Lisa, I think your comment might have been unncessary and I think it would be so fucking hot to see you two hotties kiss and make up.

I can say that Barbie has caught my eye and my fancy for a few years and she is really a fantastic lovely, warm, outgoing, fun person. And she is also so beautiful, not just a perfect face and body but the mind to go with it. ummmm.

I really do want to brush her hair and undress her everywhere.... Her life is to dream about also, where she lives..wow....I'm telling you she is not at all common or plain. nope not even near...very special stuff.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 am

:roll:
don't forget to floss

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 am

We are not all asshats, so yeah, it could be a little disrespectful to use a global phrase like "a male of any kind". Maybe you should not ride with guys who pitch a tent in the car, so to speak...

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:06 am

I'm soooooo sorrrrrrrryyyyy for disrespectful use of the "Phrase" and I retract IT... Because I Love MEN really!!! I do, and you are not all asshats!!!!! Just the ones WHo WILL Not DO MY Bidding are ASShats!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: LOL Like I say they don't call me Barbie FOR Nothing!)

Wedeliver Its ALways a Pleasure to SEE U & Yours pull UP!! I can't wait to make you & Bluewolf a drink at the bar This YEAR!! thanks for always having my back I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! It was sooo special to get to meet your little grandchild - If you make it back to the North Shore we havve to go out. otherwise I'll see YOU TWO in the DUST!!!

What I meant to say is that I won't be traveling to BRC any time in the future with someone I do NOT Know. (and sometimes you don't know your own friends ) Its put me in bad situations in the past and I won't be doing it again.
And in the past, I have had a lot better time when I go by myself (I feel this way about concerts also) I find I try harder to put myself out there and meet people and I have more time to visit with all my Playa friends... ANd I for sure won't be brining any male virgins back to BRC, unless they have a girlfriend or wife they are bringing with them. I hate to make this ALL about me BUT it IS !!!

I WANT AND NEED ZERO DRAMA ON THE PLAYA ONLY GOOD TIMES!!!
I find this easier to do if its JUST ME I have to worry about.

And Like I said IT IS ME I'am A BITCH I do expect things to get done and be DONE! I don't mind doing my part; I will HOLD YOU to your WORD....

Return to “Stories”