Advantage Flight Solutions

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
shaun

Post by shaun » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Karlene wrote:leaning playa dust out of my equipment, and planning for next year.

Look us up between 4:30 and 5:00 on the outermost street. Camp FUA. Best damn champagne on the playa.

Heee Haawwww!!!!!!!

See you next Year!!!

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 am

<<Cross>>

Some one call a WHAAAAAAAAAMMMMbulance!

Guidelines Folks.....Guidelines!

When one makes a PLAN at Burningman..prior to...or during ...or after ...towards next year....it will go wrong/or different/ sideways////

One knows...how strange the world really is, and one knows how many things dont go according to a PLAN.
If you have Guidelines to any situation, you also have back up guidelines...JUST IN CASE!!!!!

In 2007, it was impossible for any planes to get in or out of BRC on a couple of days in a row...REMEMBER?????

Due to weather related issues, beyond their control!!!!!!!!
Mother Nature is a funny fucking bitch aint she!!

The whining....yes...WHINING Im hearing is just down right...DEFAULT speaking.

I like to take my burner self into default and behave like that all year....
Try it sometime...you'll find that even frustrating $$$ consuming issues, dont get to you as bad as they did in your past.

Why do we run to the desert once a year, try to suck every wonderful moment we can out of those days? Because we wish it was like that out in Defaultia...guess what...you can make parts of it like that yourself...
Everyone around you not smiling....smile at them...it really is contagious!
Help someone! Do something for someone appreciation unheeded...
Come on folks...Your a burner. Be radically self reliant...RIGHT?

And woah...the $$$ you lost. If the experience wasnt worth it...thats why people Gave you idea's on what to do with your money...that has a contract that you will get what you paid for.

My time spent on that wonderful black rock desert is worth everything we pay.....plus 10 times more.
136.00 whaaaaaa

move the decimal over....13,600.00 is what we spent this year and it took us 2 trips both ways to get all our gear in and out.
WAAAAAAAAAAAA!
And we are "lower middle" class in default terms.
Its what you want. make a decesion. Dont be whiney! Get over it!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 am

Glad you know it all. Somebody needs to. I'm a long time burner, I've experienced things over there that would put a lesser person on their knees. It has nothing to do with Burning Man, or the weather, or how tough I am, or how tough you perceive yourself to be. It has to do with a business that delivered unsatisfactory results. They did the least necessary to fulfill their contract, no concern on any level for the people that were left essentially stranded. No "sorry", no "can I help you get a room in Reno" no "is there anything we can do to help you out"?

You call it whining, I call it standing up for the consumer. Because it's the Burn doesn't let commercial business off the hook for bad service.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:16 am

hahaaaaa
Oh geeze!

Consummerism!! at its finest!!!!
If burningman..org....gave a rats ass about consumerism...our tickets would be $300.00 a day not unlimited! and the damn airstrip would go right through the mans legs down the center of the city...not on the OTHER side of the Trash fence~
We'd have public transportation and bus stops and starbucks at every corner.

I still dont understand why you felt the need to whaaambulance this to all of us? shit really does happen.
That company not only had to find the $ to repair their plane, but lose money on top of it, pay a driver, rent a suv, pay that wonderful gasoline prices...AND give you a refund of some sort to try and make good...to tell ya the truth, Im surprised anyone got any $ back.
They did the best they could to the idea of getting you back to Reno.

And apparently in BOTH these threads of bitching about their service, sounds to me like no one bothered to go over "early early" monday to find out if the plane was even going to be able to land in such horrible dune's from the night before?
That happens too...plane cant land on 4 feet of silt dunes!cant take off either?!

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:44 am

Karlene wrote:Glad you know it all. Somebody needs to. I'm a long time burner, I've experienced things over there that would put a lesser person on their knees. It has nothing to do with Burning Man, or the weather, or how tough I am, or how tough you perceive yourself to be. It has to do with a business that delivered unsatisfactory results. They did the least necessary to fulfill their contract, no concern on any level for the people that were left essentially stranded. No "sorry", no "can I help you get a room in Reno" no "is there anything we can do to help you out"?

You call it whining, I call it standing up for the consumer. Because it's the Burn doesn't let commercial business off the hook for bad service.

Just a question and I don't mean this to be rude but are you some kind of hippy? Is every business anti consumer? Would you like to put Advantage out of business for being rude and not flying when they shouldn't? The offenses you list are so subjective, where you claim they waited to inform people, do you have proof? How do you know they weren't making every effort to get a plane in the air so your two friends wouldn't be inconvenienced?

I was in Hawaii, leaving for the airport when ATA when belly up. We (10 people I was responsible for) were stranded, not here in the US with roads going everywhere but in Hawaii. One major problem was this was the second Airline serving Hawaii that failed in a two week period, so all out going flights were full. I could whine and bitch all day, maybe bring tears to your eyes, but in the end my venting will not help anything.

Your venting against Advantage could damage a resource others might like to use. Mostly because you misstated issues and responsibilities of the business you found fault with.

On the other hand, if Advantage had not offered the Van ride to Reno, if Advantage had fired all staff and closed all operations that would be different.

Also, some of us take meds and it helps. I would share with you if it would help.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Karlene wrote:One thing interesting out of this whole affair is how many names I got called on line, and I had no idea Burners could be so nasty and intolerant.
the lack of civility on ePlaya is a real drag and always has been. But nobody gives a shit and the most obnoxious types are often celebrated as heroes here. Thank god Burning Man isn't a bit like ePlaya in that regard.

For the record, I didn't agree with most of your posts, particularly when I realized Advantage was a small Burner-owned operation. But I am glad they stepped up and went over and beyond in your case. Win - Win form a bad situation.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:58 pm

So is the moral that if I have an airline and my plane isn't up to snuff, I should risk my passengers' lives rather than ground the thing?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:31 am

I apologized over in the other Advantage flight thread and I shall do so here as well.

I was having a bad pain day.
I read something that rubbed me very wrong and instead of holding my tonge, I let it all out on these 2 threads.

apologeeze to anyone I offended.
Thursdays Mizz. Snark attack

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am

The world doesn't work totally perfect. People have to have contingencies in their plans. Leave some time in your schedule for things to go to crap, because they often do. Figure on an overnight in Reno on the way out.. If you were driving and had a flat tire, who would you claim was at fault? deal with it. A fogged in airport that was closed, a strike...??

BRC is not totally isolated, so other means of transport were available to get you where you were going. Flying into BRC is a luxury and you were not self relaint. You could not have carried all the food, water, and shelter you needed for the week. Being self reliant is one of the tenets of Burningman.

I have had confirmed reservations at the only hotel on a small island, dropped of by a major airline that flies there every couple of days weather dependent (visual flight/ landing only) so it may not land; only to find there was no room in the hotel. Self reliance, no way off the island(500 miles from anywhere), make friends, find a place to stay, deal with it. Also had res to fly to another island, and told at the airport, "sorry today we only take locals and livestock, maybe you go tomorrow"
Plans adjusted.

US military "your deployment has been extended 6 months" more than once. Plans adjusted
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

fciron

Post by fciron » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:00 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Can we stop with the "take your meds" comments, please.
Really disrespectful. And long past funny.
Seriously, it was funny about 15 years ago.

It seems to be a poorly veiled way to call someone an asshole and I don't think they have a medication for that. Nor do they have a medication for passive-aggressive posting.

If I go off my meds I'll be sleeping instead of posting.

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:10 pm

Am I a hippie?

That's a good one.

I don't care who owned this air line. They gave their customers less, far less, than adequate service. It has nothing to do with the playa, with the Burning Man ideal, none of that. If you got your pocket picked at the Burn would it be...well that's ok, because you know, it IS the burn. I've been reading some threads here where people got RV's parked on their tents, people pissed in their soup, looted at the front gate, tents invaded and stolen from, even things stolen from them while they were dancing in a club. Is that ok because it IS the Burn you know....This is no different than that, except this is a corporate failure and that is personal failure. This is a matter that I, as a citizen of Black Rock City COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT....if the guy at the gate had said"Gee we're sorry, the plane is broken, we'll drive you and maybe radio ahead and reserve a room for you when you get there. Not even PAY for the room, but assist in seeing that people actually had lodging when they got to Reno. I don't think that's above and beyond any contractural duty. It doesn't SAY in their contract that if this happens they'll help you reserve a room...But it's good customer service don't you think? It isn't the money, or the lack of a flight, it's they way the company dealt with their customes. No consideration at all. I wouldn't take this in the default world, why would I settle for it at the Burn...I come there NOT to be fucked with.

The guy that got his soup pissed in is out a can of soup. The guy who got all his equipment looted at the greeters gate is out of his equipment. The person that got their back pack stolen while in one of the clubs, is out a back pack and all it's contents. The difference is we were able to point out bad behavior to the offender and see that they understood it. They did no more than they absolutely had to do for their customers.

Like I said at the beginning of this interesting journey......BAD SERVICE....

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:27 pm

BRC is not totally isolated, so other means of transport were available to get you where you were going. Flying into BRC is a luxury and you were not self relaint. You could not have carried all the food, water, and shelter you needed for the week. Being self reliant is one of the tenets of Burningman.

Actually, six of us drove over with a truck and horse trailer full of supplies. We were totally self reliant, not only us, but all of our neighbors whom we continually feed, costume and assist in any way we can. The two people who flew in came that way because of family obligations back in the world. Believe me, they would MUCH RATHER, have ridden over with us as the whole journey is always fun. It was not something that was a luxury item by any means, it was the only way they could get there on the short schedule they were presented with.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:26 am

hmm...I see this thread bounced back up.

The other Airlines dont book and pay for you a room when you get bumped/canceled or delayed.
You sit in the airport waiting for the next available departure.

Could be hours....maybe even the next day.
This is such a common thing, that every single time I enter ANY airport, there is a person or personsssssssssss asleep, and not the 1/2 hr kinda nap, kinked necks and drool kinda hours of sleep.

Yeah, what happened was a bummer...but you know...I think I would try to look at it differently....
Maybe its what saved your friggin LIFE!
What if the pilot hadnt noticed the issues....what if ya'll had gotten on THAT flight...and what if...the flight went down into the mountainside killing everyone instantly!!!! or worse...let you die an hour afterwards in Horrible pain suffering the last breath outa your broken body. You take your last breath just as help arrives, knowing it was just to late.

I think I would look at it more as a gaurdian angel from the dust that saved your life and has given you a second chance to get it right and a more humble way of looking at the rest of your life.

or you could look at it in consumer way and say...whaaa I got fucked.

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 am

Lot's of what if's there. What if Advantage Air prcaticed slightly better customer relations methods. There's no whinging here, no whaaaa. It all worked out, we got a refund....but only after a concerted effort. As I said, a simple, "we're sorry" in the beginning, a simple "can we help you out a little bit" Can we be fucking POLITE when we meet you at the gate and say

"You're not flying anywhere today, the plane is out of service"... That's great customer relations.

DonSkokie

Cryers

Post by DonSkokie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:03 pm

I see a lot of these "cryer" types that circle around and complain just to complain. I don't understand them and can't really be around them as they bring everything down. They always have something to nitpick about or say something negative. I don't think they could live if they didn't have something to spout off to others about.

My personal theory about these people: They live very long lives because the Devil doesn't want them in Hell and God doesn't want them in Heaven so they both keep them alive as long as possible because they both can't stand them. I also think they are around to remind us all that life should be lived and lived well. If all we have to live for is the next thing we can harp upon then are we really living?

I need to stop here because I would hate to see myself trapped in another one of their crazy, poor me, poor world, poor me circles of pity parties and mediocre cry sessions.

Mick :)
Keep On Keepin' On

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Heaven and hell? Boy.......you must be supporting Palin

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:42 pm

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Oh wait... I just resurrected it again... oops!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 pm

I fly a lot, I mean a LOT. What I dont get is that some people think they have an inherent right to fly somewher on a private business's planes.

IMHo to fly somewhere is a privilege that has no more guarantee than shopping at Sears or a cab ride. All a carrier is liable for is providing the service or not. They could have stranded you and yours on the desert, adn they would have faced no liability for doing so, they are under no obligation to pay any additional fees other than returning your fare.

They certainly did not have to arrange for rental cars, or even ground trasnport in any capacity.

Simply saying - "its not working today, heres your refund" is all they have to do.

Is it a shitty situation - yes.
DId they do something - yes.
Did they have to - no.
and can you please everyone all the time - definately not.

Your cup is still half full - they got you there on time, and got you out.

just my 2 cents.

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:16 am

Right, they did what they HAD to do, which wasn't much. I have a business too, and my clients are taken care of above and beyond my contract. That's good business, that's caring about my clients. What's that old saying, "good enough never is."

Return to “Stories”