has anyone used a playa dome from shelter systems?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
jessisandi

has anyone used a playa dome from shelter systems?

Post by jessisandi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm

i am considering buying the 18' dome from these guys

after a not so great experince in an rv this year i would rather invest my money in something much more reusable and cooler looking

i live in nyc so i am not a big camping type but i am pretty strong and agile. the website is saying it only takes 30 minutes to put up

anyone have any feedback on this?

http://www.shelter-systems.com/playadomes.html

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Try a search in the Q&A topic area.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

jessisandi

Post by jessisandi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 pm

i did try didnt see anything...

rob1981sac

Post by rob1981sac » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:31 pm

I've been looking at buying one for a few years now, just a little nervous about setup, i am not mechanically inclined at all. I do think it's a fair price and looks like it would protect you from all the elements out on the playa.

mikesieben

Post by mikesieben » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Mikey and Jessi!

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:25 am

Someone has posted that they have one.
Check out the experimental design area and patterns too.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 am

I like the grip clip product alot.. the shelters a too pricey when I'm capable of making something myself.

www.desertdomes.com
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

sonic

Post by sonic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:51 am

My cousin has one, and I helped erect and take it down this year. It really didn't take too long to put up, but it does take quite a bit of muscle power, a little more than I had, to put up. It took three of us about 45 minutes to erect. Take down was very easy, two of us had it apart within 15 minutes. It works pretty well, though I highly recommend having extra PVC pipe because in the wind a few did kink up. We were prepared and had extra, so it wasn't an issue for us. I think this is the 3rd or 4th year she has had the dome for the playa. It provides great shade when you have extra shade cloths draped over.

zabsinth

Post by zabsinth » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 am

I camped with a friend who had a 20 footer - they are quite easy to work with if you are stronger than a small child.

Watch out for the wind, though - extra pipes (be sure to match interior diameter, exterior diameter, and length) are a must, as is twine for other repairs.

Ease of setup is pretty amazing with these things, but I'm going to build myself a geodesic dome for next year....

Oubliet
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

Love Monkey huts

Post by Oubliet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 pm

There are some plans on the shade structure tribe for the Love Monkey hut. They are cheap, easy to build, and can stand up to quite a bit of wind.

All you need is rebar, some lengths of sch 40 pvc 1" and 1 & 1/4 " tubes, a couple of heavy duty tarps from Costco (12' x 16'), ropes for guy ropes and good, long stakes.

Tribe is down right now, but it is up, just do a Google search.

jessisandi

Post by jessisandi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:14 pm

thank you all so much for your input. I do not think I am going to attempt to make my own, just putting one up is enough work for a city chick like me. Bit it looks like I will start saving now so I can have for next year.

ANd Hi Mike!!!! :wink: :D

Greenltdistrict

Post by Greenltdistrict » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Jessiandi!

We were going to buy one of their domes a few years back...but after A LOT of research decided against it. They are REALLY neat and rather pricey but for the same price you could have a much sturdier metal conduit one...this year I saw A LOT of those PVC dome demolished! In fact my camp had to rush to the aid of our neighbors because the wind collapsed theirs and tried to blow it away!!! Who knows if they secured it well or if they set it up correctly but as I said I saw quite a few destroyed! If you do get it, like everyone says get extra poles!!! Good luck.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi, We have one of these domes. I believe the 14 ?? Anyhow, it was GREAT in the big wind storm in 2007. Some dust came from underneith.. but 7 of us were able to hide pretty well. I don't like that you can't lift the cover up for ventalation.. so I don't think it would be a very good shade.
don't forget to floss

jackmack

Post by jackmack » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:57 pm

we had that exact 18'er this year. it's very big for you to sleep in. we used it as a night time shelter for when it was cold & dusty & privacy is key.

the floor will need to be attached very well but yea... it works good if you want to spend $2000 on something to sleep in.

I bought one of these from Target for $150 & you can stand up in it. Just as easy to set up as those domes. Not a "chill space" though but great & perfect for sleeping in... way more air flow too!
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... ryid=11020

I would suggest you not buy anything until next July. Wait and see if the country falls apart first.

jessisandi

Post by jessisandi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:17 pm

i do really think i am going to buy one, i will purchase the extra poles and extra sunshade as well as extra grip clips

coming from nyc is not an easy trek to begin with and i really dont want ato do an rv again but i want something nicer than a basic tent

Return to “Stories”