RV's on the increase calls for some creative thinking...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:10 pm

They sorta take RV's to a whole new level.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:21 pm

I heard that the The Wally Byam Caravan Club is planning a gathering at BM next year.

that should fill up all that unused space on the North section along with heating up the playa about 30 degrees from all the reflective surfaces on those Airstreams.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:after seeing this :

http://www.unicat.net/en/pics/EX70HDQ-MANTGA6x6-2.html

i've changed my mind on the whole RV thing.

Holy Shit. That's the best layout in an RV I've ever seen, totally love it. And it's all in a hell of a truck!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 am

wow also even :shock: :shock: :shock:
Simon you are a fiend, now I must look at every model they have and its like 2 hours past bedtime already!!!

Captain, perhaps we could split the cost and import one of them 6x6 models over here? :)
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:07 am

$378,000 without the optional NBC filters (nuke, bio, chem)...

maybe they are having some kind of cash back / free oil changes for life kind of deal, with the economy the way it is, i think you could pick up one of these puppies for under $350,000.
Frida Be You & Me

Marscrumbs

Virgin RV burners will be the ruin of Burningman

Post by Marscrumbs » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 pm

An RV is convienent but a wall of RV is boring as hell. Makes for spectators not participants.
No one should come in an RV untill they've been a Burner for five years.
Just one man's opinion.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:38 am

Ooooooo oooooooooo I want ONE of THOSEEE!!! Soooooo fricking COOL!!! 350 thou Huh??? I BUY that WAY before A House!!!!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

cheesynei

well...

Post by cheesynei » Fri May 08, 2009 3:24 pm

i plan on coming to bm in an rv, because i want to, but i don't plan to stay in it all day, i just want a nice place to sleep. and maybe cook. it seems a little small to lump everyone that comes in an rv in the same ball. some of us just need to have a little more control over stuff. and that is ok. i still want to spend my time meeting people. and PARTICIPATING. just needed to say my say. thank you!
yes, i did do it.

FungusAmongus

Post by FungusAmongus » Sat May 09, 2009 1:12 pm

The only thing i find wrong with RVs are the weekend warrior yahoos who show up in YOUR camp in the middle of the night with there big f-in RV don't say anything to anyone and then leave sunday morning with their cooler water spots left in camp.

Other than that i think that RVs contribute greatly to our largely diverse community. Not everybody can come out to the desert and hang for 7 or more days without some sort of comfort besides a dusty tent.

I've never gone in an RV. I went in a bus 2 years and the solid walls and couch were magnificent. The prior years were in a tent which usually broke or had some sort of problem by the end of the event so I learned to appreciate certain amenities when they are there. and who can say that it isn't nice to go and chill in an air conditioned RV in the middle of the day out on the playa. I live in the desert so I wont pass up on that offer. Most people at the burn dont live in a desert.

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Thu May 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Our fearless leader of my themecamp does arrive with an RV but parks it in back and drags with it a trailer of lumber to build something cool. However a dark wall of RV's on C street kills it for me. I wouldn't call for new rules but don't stop me from whinning about the general loss of the BM athestic when the majority of the spectators arrive in their boxes and do nothing else.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 pm

I know a lot of tent people that do nothing all day and night but walk around spectating, in fact, as a ratio, I would say that spectators from tents outweigh spectators who have RVs.

And even if not, what the hell do I care, I know what I am doing, and I am doing it with an RV as my temporary home, not as a tent, although Iuse those also.(for storage.)

BTDT, RVs are just better to have than tents , if you can manage to have one, and it doesn't increase or decrease the "experience" in any way except increase your comfort zone when you need to do the things that you would have to do in a tent otherwise.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 am

ok,, so last year. In the middle of the night of course, this GIANT freaking rv can't make the corner of 7:00 & E. So, the rangers had to come out and remove the street sign for him :? a group of us ran out into the street and started waving our arms around to try and direct him. He looked kinda pissed. After he "finally" made it around the corner... we ran after him yelling " Mick !!! show us your cock!!! .. serioulsy only rock starts have rigs this big..

Moral of the story.. don't go driving your monster rv around in the middle of the night.. park it. find your spot. and THEN drive to it..
don't forget to floss

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri May 15, 2009 11:53 am

Boijoy wrote:ok,, so last year. In the middle of the night of course, this GIANT freaking rv can't make the corner of 7:00 & E. So, the rangers had to come out and remove the street sign for him :? a group of us ran out into the street and started waving our arms around to try and direct him. He looked kinda pissed. After he "finally" made it around the corner... we ran after him yelling " Mick !!! show us your cock!!! .. serioulsy only rock starts have rigs this big..

Moral of the story.. don't go driving your monster rv around in the middle of the night.. park it. find your spot. and THEN drive to it..
Holy Crap, I think I saw that debacle. We were camped at the dead-end 7 and D.

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Fri May 15, 2009 11:57 am

yeah... kus Larry was one of the rangers that had to move to sign for the dumbass.. remember the "landing lights" on the side of it & the way it sounded like a freaking space ship when it passed by??

I'm sayin' it was a freaking MONSTER.. I would LOVE to have seen where it landed... so, I could go piss on it's tire or something.
don't forget to floss

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri May 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Boijoy wrote:yeah... kus Larry was one of the rangers that had to move to sign for the dumbass.. remember the "landing lights" on the side of it & the way it sounded like a freaking space ship when it passed by??

I'm sayin' it was a freaking MONSTER.. I would LOVE to have seen where it landed... so, I could go piss on it's tire or something.
... LOL... except MyLarry isn't a ranger... but we do have rangers in camp.

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Fri May 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Sorry, the tan utility kilt and hat threw me off.. I'm sure Genius was out there helping him.. I was slightly buzzed.. yelling for Mick in Hushville. :lol: I'm surprised I didn't get a repremand from Ohio for that one.
don't forget to floss

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 pm

the one person mini-winnie.

Too Fucking Cool......why do people have to sleep when there is so much to do....not enough time!.....ahhh.....projects.....projects.....priorities....

fuck it.....priorities reshuffled....note to self, make buck rogers version of this...

Frida Be You & Me

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 am

:shock: Man, those micro-buses were a LOT smaller than I remember!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

dust&music

Re: It is not the RVs per se, it is the way they are set up

Post by dust&music » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

[quote="sensi63"]If you park your RV back or forward facing the street, there is still interactivity possible, the exhaust from the generator comes out the side and you can vent that with dryer hose. What I found ugly was the line of huge class A rv's on the street leading up to the grand hotel. I think it was between 730 and 8 and E or F. About 5 huge class A's parked end to end, creating a huge wall of RV, right up on the street, no interactivity, no esthetic appeal, just a large Kohler generator on the corner and a 150 foot wall of RVs, not painted, decorated or anything. I guess it was in keeping with the American Dream theme (I have mine, you are not welcome) but it was very very ugly and not interactive in any way. Especially when contrasted with the miracle of giving and beauty that was the grand hotel![/quote]

Last year I was one of the main members of Soulicious (the camp you are referring to). In our camp we had 18 RV's total and we were camped next to our Sister camp Ashram Galactica. Between us we had over 30 RV's and two generators. Although I can empathize with the sentiment here, I feel that I need to clarify a few things about the sociability of our camps and other RV camps that I have been associated with.
First of all I take great exception to people insinuating that because we have the resources to stay in RV's that we are antisocial and that we make people feel unwelcome.
Last year our camp built a 30 foot dome with an open bar and a 22 foot dj dome with a bumping sound system. Ashram brought out their enormous yurt (the grand hotel) a dome, the restaurant and all the small domes. We hosted music every day and night for all comers and an open bar for whomever stopped by. Ashram hosted music and drinks for everyone that came by and prepared special meals every evening for many people from the community. And also raffled off rooms in the grand hotel.
Also, for the second year Soulicious hosted the Soulicious brunch on Friday from 12pm till 8pm were we fed over 800 people who came by
and spun music by world class Dj's like Nicodemus, Marques Wyatt, Isaiah Martin, DJ Braden etc...
The large Kohler generator you refer to powered up all the lights, 2 sound systems and kitchens that supplied countless of hours of music, food and shelter for thousands of people last year.
I can't imagine a more welcoming environment than our camps.
If RV's seem like a barrier, it's because they are. All camps position them around their perimeter to block the wind and dust from the other campmates that are staying in tents and all the people that come through to drink and dance at our place. If people would get over themselves and walk around they would see that each camp has at least two main entrances and everyone is welcome.
I have been to the burn 10 times now, and I have camped in small two man tents, larger tents, a dome one year and RV's. I have created and worked with many large camps (Pink Pussy cats, Pink Elephant, Do Lab, Soulicious, Ashram) and the truth is that staying in an RV provides much needed shelter and rest for people that are usually arriving 4-10 days early to build large installations for others to enjoy.
There is no difference between staying inside your large tent and not talking to anyone and being in an RV and doing the same. It's the people not the shelter. And my personal experience has been that most people that come to the burn in Rv's generally give back a lot.
What if the Hokie Pokie really is what it's all about?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 pm

not that you need to explain anything, but, thanks for the clarity........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:57 pm

dust&music, your camp sounds awesome, and your clarification, LOL, clarified it nicely. Sounds like your giving a great gift to the community, thanks.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Let all the RVs in. Just let Paul Addis park them.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 am

Let all the RVs in. Just let Paul Addis park them.

no really, it's cool, he's CHANGED!

Frida Be You & Me

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 am

As with everything, it really comes down to balance. The attempt should be; Rv's to the back of camp, and shade structure seating etc. on the street. Think of it like a front porch where you hang out and call to passersbys who are in your neighborhood. I think rv/ campers are fine as long as they don't beome enlosures or lazy entrapments.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm

I agree that RVs should not be parked along street lines creating steel canyons. I'd personally like to see them parked in the middle of street blocks forming u-shaped camps with a more welcoming street appearance. Gennies would be in the middle of blocks and tenters would benefit.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Return to “Stories”