Giant panoramas of temple burn, from Babel, night city, day

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
bradtem
Burning Since: 1998

Giant panoramas of temple burn, from Babel, night city, day

Post by bradtem » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:04 pm

I've got six panoramas up of this year's city. I hope many of you got a chance to see the ones I had up on the Esplanade this year (at 3:45) on my wall -- I always want people to see them in print since the ones on the web are 1/10th the resolution.

This year I got a couple of ones that are a bit different. One is a 360 degree view of the temple burn, which shows not simply the burn, but the faces of many people around me watching in silence. (Since it's a 1 second exposure, would not work for the regular burn as people are not that still.)

Another interesting one is a close up of the whole city on Sunday at sunrise from the tower of Babel.

Also, my first pano of the city at night in several years, shot from the Ziggurat at 3 o'clock. Platforms stable enough for night shots are rare.

These, along with my classic full day city pano and a temple shot can now be seen here:

http://pic.templetons.com/brad/pano/bman08.html

And of course, the last 11 years of panos of Burning Man are linked from there. The regular sized shots for this year (and last, sigh) and still in my stack of stuff to do! Find your biggest monitor, hit F11 and scroll through the panos.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Another year, another set of fantastic panoramic images. Since I could't go this year I get to look at those pics from a new perspective...and I appreciate them even more.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

troyds

Post by troyds » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 am

Thanks again for the great pan shots. And if you don't hear it enough, thanks again. LOL!

I've been able to identify our village for the past two years in your photos right down to my tent. LOL! It's fun to show people once in awhile.

Best,

T

somekind

Post by somekind » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:43 am

great images as usual. Have you considered using http://www.gigapan.org to host your images? They have some good features.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 am

Wow, that temple burn photo really brings me back there!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:52 am

Excellent site.

shaun

Post by shaun » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks! the temple burn picture is particularly outstanding.

bradtem

Thanks

Post by bradtem » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Night panos tend to be very difficult at burning man. For this one I didn't have to be on a platform, in fact I was on my knees to be nice to those behind me who, even though they arrived after me when I joined the standers at the back of the sitters, still wanted to sit.

But I did write a blog post about why night burning man panos are such a pain to get right...

http://ideas.4brad.com/why-night-panos- ... -challenge

For those who are curious about the technical nitty gritty. The ziggurat one is largely OK, though. Someday there will be a really tall, but really solid platform that can do it.

Joshatdot
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by Joshatdot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Wow beautiful shot of Temple Burn...I wish I was there for it, my ride was leaving Sunday day :(

couglite

Post by couglite » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:38 pm

I saw your panos on the eslplanade! Absolutely mesmerizing! Thanks for those. next year I will see if I can find my virgin campsite!

bradtem

About gigapan

Post by bradtem » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:37 am

Missed an earlier question, I do have a few of the burning man panos up on gigapan.

http://www.gigapan.org/viewProfile.php?userid=2015

But my most recent attempt at running their windows-only uploader under wine/linux failed, at least on the really big one, so I don't have any of 2008 up there.

Return to “Stories”