People who don't get The Temple

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:59 am

A GIRL?

well why didnt you say so?

being horribly sexist under the guise of Chivalry, i would have never been so corrosive.

now show us your tits.

please.
Frida Be You & Me

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:23 am

Oooooh...you have such big letters.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:24 am

you want to see my dangling Modifier?
Frida Be You & Me

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:44 am

Yes please! I'll bring my magnifying glass.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:54 am

OUCH....are you making fun of my Grammar?

thats what Grandpa used to do.
Frida Be You & Me

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:OUCH....are you making fun of my Grammar?

thats what Grandpa used to do.
No they are making fun of your wiener, you see when you said "Dangling Modifier"

They said "with a magnifying glass" then that confirmed that your Modifyer was being compared to a wiener. Thats funny, because the magnifying glass implies that its little too.

Im glad I could explain that joke to you.......

"They were making babies, and I saw one, and it looked at me......" So says Ralph Wiggum

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:15 pm

In grammar, a dangling modifier attaches itself to a word different from the one the writer apparently meant. [1] It may be intended to modify the subject of a sentence, but due to word order seems to modify an object instead. When such modifiers are participles, they often appear at the beginnings of sentences. For instance, in the sentence, "Walking down Main Street, the trees were beautiful," the "walking down" modifier seems to connect to "the trees" in the sentence, when on reflection it really connects to the invisible speaker of the sentence. He or she is the one walking down the street (and finding the trees beautiful). Thus, the modifier is hanging on nothing, therefore dangling.

Strunk and White's The Elements of Style provides another kind of example, a misplaced modifier (another participle):
“ I saw the trailer peeking through the window.

sorry i had to explain the joke to you.....
Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:34 pm

OnceTheDustClears wrote:Yes please! I'll bring my magnifying glass.
Are you from the UK?

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:52 pm

Thats funny too!!, not HaHa funny, but good stuff.

I like my explanation better.

later

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:58 pm

I was hoping there was a grammatical double entendre in there somewhere.
Maybe I missed it?

Savannah Nix

I think it is really sad

Post by Savannah Nix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 pm

EVERYONE can be loud, abusive and rude. It's not hard to do. It is much more difficult to show restraint and reverence, especially in the face of aggression or aggravation. While I will agree that people should be able to express themselves any way they wish on the playa, I will say that in all things free- like this country- your freedom ends where my freedom begins. If everyone can understand and respect this, then freedom can be a beautiful thing, if not, you start to spiral into anarchy. Of course you can be a loud rowdy asshole when others are being quiet and reflective-and you can write abusive things in response to what I have said here today as well- you are free- but what does this really prove or say about you?
Peace and Love

davelam13

Post by davelam13 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:49 pm

So yeah... I definitely appreciate the silence and beauty of it all. I usually have a lot that I leave behind with the temple and love people for putting so much into building it. I have to fight to keep from getting annoyed with others in my own solemn moment. We all know that the temple is a special place where respect, grief, and joy play a big part.

Then again I think David Best said it all. It is a special place because it is open to everyone regardless. In absolute. Who knows if the loud asshole has just lost someone special and thats the only way they can cope? Maybe they are just fucked up and stupid, maybe they are adamant about having their own pain burned away. But hopefully it will always be a non-exclusive, totally open place for people.
Chef Whitey on a Plate!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:11 pm

savannah, you obviously dont get it, do you....

may i suggest you read, re-read, ruminate, and spend as much time out there as i have before you poo-poo me and my bull-horn...

oh yeah, Fuck your day!

welcome home.

yadda yadda yadda.
Frida Be You & Me

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Re: About the Dead

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:56 am

Seer13 wrote:My post is to find a solution.
On the night of the Temple Burn, get a prime viewing spot on top of some theme camp structure or art car, sit in a nice folding chair with a good bottle of red wine and experience the spectacle far enough away that you can't hear whatever was buggin you last year. You dont need to be up front and center to get the true experience. Also, its a wonderful perspective to see the Temple in the distance surrounded by so many people.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: About the Dead

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
Seer13 wrote:My post is to find a solution.
On the night of the Temple Burn, get a prime viewing spot on top of some theme camp structure or art car, sit in a nice folding chair with a good bottle of red wine and experience the spectacle far enough away that you can't hear whatever was buggin you last year. You dont need to be up front and center to get the true experience. Also, its a wonderful perspective to see the Temple in the distance surrounded by so many people.
I second that! That is exactly what we did last year for both burns. We setup a couple of chairs just beyond the crowds, lighted them with tons of glow so we wouldn't be run over by MVs or Bikes, set up our mini-bar and had a great time watching the burns. Actually, lots of people actually commented on 'what a great idea' that was as they passed us on their way to get closer to the crowds.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 am

ah, the voice of reason.....so soothing...

i agree as well, and have parked myself and loved ones out in the deep playa to watch it burn...

if you want solitude and a chance to reflect, it's up to you to find a place to do so.

i dont like crying in crowds anyway, it's just not macho, and i dont want to ruin the "Butch" i've worked so hard to construct.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i dont like crying in crowds anyway....
Maybe the crowd doesn't give a rat's ass what you like.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 am

are you questioning my sensitive side?

barbarian.
Frida Be You & Me

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm

ahhh, nice to see Simon back in rare form. Gotta meet you one day and sling you one of my mind-bending (and tastebud eclipsing) mojitos!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:and i dont want to ruin the "Butch" i've worked so hard to construct.
Yeah, I bet she'd be pretty pissed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:ahhh, nice to see Simon back in rare form. Gotta meet you one day and sling you one of my mind-bending (and tastebud eclipsing) mojitos!
There's always the playa meet-n-greet. Why let another year go by?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

buttercups

Post by buttercups » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm

The temple means a lot to me. I am really into the whole Fuck Cancer expression given the toll that's taken on my family.

First year I went to the temple my mother had just died...young. It was cathartic. But every single year there is some yahoo who has to fuck with the whole experience.

So, i too went about 400 yards away this year sat on a blanket with my good friends, sipped some good wine, and had a peaceful temple burn. Its so much better when you remove yourself a little bit so you can have the experience you want and need. You can only control your behavior after all.
Buttercup

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:...a rat's ass...

BEST GIFT EVER!!!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:23 am

actually, it was a typo, it was Rat Sass, and i get it all the time.

cheeky little bastards.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:57 am

Temple Guardians are available, but at a price.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 am

maybe the Pope will lend you some of his....

Just ANOTHER good reason why you dont give guns to Clowns.
Frida Be You & Me

PavementBlues
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 am

Hot fucking damn am I glad that I read this thread! Honestly, in the beginning I (basically) agreed with Seer, but by law of common sense, if you wander into a crowd of thousands of Burners and get butt-hurt about the fact that not everyone is there for the exact same reason as you...well, you're delusional. I'm DEFINITELY going to be situated in deep playa for next year's temple burn - that was the best idea I've heard in a long, long time.

I am one of the 2007 Burners that came during that crazy influx, and both Temple burns that I have experienced have followed a strangely similar trajectory. It always starts out with the milling, the wandering, the confused masses trying to figure out what is going on and where their friends are and WHOA LOOK A CLEAR SECTION OF GROUND THAT WILL SITUATE ME TEN INCHES CLOSER LET'S GET IT OH SORRY EXCUSE ME COULD YOU YEAH THANKS I'M JUST GONNA SQUEEZE IN HERE. At this point, most everyone is casually talking, so there isn't any conflict. Then, people quiet down, sit still, and get ready for the beginning. Of course, this is when the tension begins to build between the meditators and the hollerers, with the SIT DOWN people adding a nice flavor to bother everyone. But both times (and this is what amazes me), at some point between the fire igniting and pissed off meditators igniting, someone appears out of thin air and completely salvages everything.

In 2007, this happened as people were just starting to yell back at the hollerers, causing the expected volume increase as a response. During a brief silence, though, someone in the back shouted out sarcastically, "Could you shut up? You're ruining my SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE!" The tension in the air dissipated so fast that it was startling. One second people were ready to brawl, the next everyone was laughing until they were crying (if they weren't already). The change literally happens like a light switch, and we were all ready to bust a gut afterward. It just so happened that this was right before the absolutely phenomenal wave that started which I'm sure you folks remember.

In 2008 it was even better. An even worse situation had developed, with a wonderfully obnoxious woman who got into a pissed-off yelling match with some of the hollerers to the point that she was infinitely more annoying (and about four times louder) than they were. It got to the point that other meditators were yelling at HER to shut up, and we were all fit to hog tie her and take advantage of the soon-to-be pyre in front of us. It didn't help at all that she was about ten feet away from my group, and by the time the Temple was well and truly burning the entire night had been ruined. Then, a guy near the front who was holding his very young daughter stood up to leave and said, "We're gonna go now. Say good bye!" So this little girl starts waving like crazy and yelling, "Bye! Bye! G'bye! Bye!" as loud as she could, waving so hard that it looked like her hand was going to fall off. I'll tell you what...everyone shut the FUCK up FAST, and once again, the tension disappeared IMMEDIATELY and about a thousand people simultaneously started laughing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 am

was it 2006 when the little girl was lost in the crowd? Before the Flower / Venus flytrap Crane dance at the Burn?

everyone was calling her name......it must have been terrifying for her.

but i distinctly remember someone with a bullhorn yelling after the sigh of relief that went thru the crowd after she was found...

"ok we found the fucking Kid, now can we BURN something already"

priceless, and yes, the "i'm trying to have a spiritual experience" moment was pitch perfect.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 am

wow, how scary for that kid......dang....

must'a been like when Ron Jeremy (the hedgehog) walked into the UCLA film school.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 am

guess what?

All of you Monkey-loving please be respectful, we're having a spiritual banana shoved up our butts while watching the temple burn so could you please be quietniks FEAR THIS:

robots win.

fuck you, monkeys, you're only good for typing my comments and medical research.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Stories”