People who don't get The Temple

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
luciddisconnect

Post by luciddisconnect » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Last year was my first "Burn" so fucking knock on me for being a noob or whatever. No one's view is valid unless they've been a "Burner" for at least eight years after all.

I didn't get up close to any of the earlier burns and really wanted a meditative time of reflection as close to the spectacle as I could get. I arrived two hours early with a blanket so that I could be in the front row. I met a sweet girl that I shared my blanket with and had a long conversation until the time of the burn. Then just sat and firegazed for fourty five minutes in the quiet. I pretty much chose the perfect spot; didn't hear any assholes spouting profanities, wasn't hit with any burning embers. There were cheers every time part of the structure collapsed. I snapped a few photos, but other than that it was just one prolonged moment of relative calm reverance. This was the single best experience that I had during the week.

The temple's pretty easy to "get" really. Temples are by definition buildings intended as spiritual centers, after all. You don't need a master's degree to figure that out.

To me it seems fundamentally disrespectful to the artists who created the temple to not take its intended meaning into consideration durning it's burn. ALL art has intended meaning. Yes, there's personal interpretation, but that's only half of it. And why go to Burning Man if you aren't interested in considering the artistic expression and viewpoints that are offered by others.

Oh, yeah . . . I forgot; because it's your own personal druggie fantasy world. All that shit was built just for you.

Or at least that's what "cocksucker girl" seems to have been expressing.

Would you walk into a Christian church and shout "Fuck Your Christ in the Ass?" Would that be OK in the name of radical self expression?

What I don't "get" is why, after a week of binging on LSD and alcohol, people couldn't just chill out a bit for the final burn. It's not like there wasn't a whole week and a bunch of other major burns to get the obnoxious drunk out of your system.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 am

Would you walk into a Christian church and shout "Fuck Your Christ in the Ass?" Would that be OK in the name of radical self expression?

thats what I do for fun....so bite me...

and go fuck off hippy.

I'M BRINGING MY GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BULLHORN

deal with it, you patchouli sucking monkey.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 am

Go there at 5 in the morning. Crosby will still be sleeping off his hangover, cuddling with Da Mule.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 am

Crosby will still be sleeping off his hangover

quit your fibbin', dougly.

you know damn well i am not programmed to sleep.

and my back-up batteries are inaccessible so don't EVEN try to unplug me.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Return to “Stories”