People who don't get The Temple

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Anything having to do with fire is the worst part of the Burn.

Flaming Lotus Girls the exception which proves the rule.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

pignome

Post by pignome » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm impressed at how big the temple burn has became...this year it was as if the Man was being burned again. I know the loud mouths you're talking about and I heard you yell for them to be quiet.

I'm sorry you could phase them out. Meditation takes mad focus.

In 2003 the gathering was humble and the temple began to burn just as it had become dark. Someone sang and it was pure silence.

Really lovely.

This year though the theme brought out some real winners.
Livin the dream. A new breed with a lot more alcohol.
To each his own...but it's strange when the places you love become more and more like the places you dont.

Next time I'll take them out for you.

princesspisces

Post by princesspisces » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 pm

First of all I found the Temple absolutely amazing! It was by far one of my favorites, it was indeed a very special place.
During the burn I did hear some things that I would rather not have heard. I don't even remember what those things were. I just let it roll of my shoulders. I enjoyed the music that was played, and enjoyed MY night.
:)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:49 am

Next time I'll take them out for you.

you and what fucking hippy army?
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:54 am

not a hippy army, it's all the Japanese team, marching in formation, chanting "To-Kyo, To-Kyo" from the Rollerball movie........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:07 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:31 am

LOL Ya, it's easy to talk, but it's not so easy for people to put their money where there mouth is.

Maybe those that complained could all chip in on a piece of the original temple, they can set it up where they like and meditate 'respectfully' till their heart's content.

JK

grapes

Post by grapes » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:34 pm

red arrow wrote:i didnt move due to the way he spoke to me and he kept shouting (in a thick american accent - liek the type youd expect someone from texas or something to sound like), he was so ignorant.
ignorant. ignorant. hmm....i'm just going to leave this alone. damn fucking texans...
thirt33n wrote:stand out at the temple all week and picket and campaign for the proper temple burn behavior. i'm sure someone will be up here on eplaya next years talkin' shit about you.
Oh, no! God forbid!

Max Burke...right on. you nailed it beautifully. leave it to the internet to reduce a communal spiritual offering of love respect and remembrance to catty name calling, chest-thumping and general negativity. sometimes, I come across inspiring, eye-opening stuff on eplaya and various other forums. but more often than not, I leave feeling slightly dumber than when I logged in. your post falls into the former category..so thanks for that.

I personally missed the Temple burn, but really appreciated and loved the structure. The wind chime ambience was really something unique and, oh whats that word, "special"?...the other day I found a short video I took there upstairs, the audio alone took me right back to that space.
What we provide is an atmosphere... of orchestrated pulse which works on people in a subliminal way. Under its influence I've seen shy debs and severe dowagers kick off their shoes and raise some wholesome hell. ~Meyer Davis

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:35 am

shaun wrote:
gyre wrote:Also, what the hell is emo?
The only emo I know is the comedian Emo Philips.
You aren't talking about him, are you?
I am abusing the term "emo" as described below, probably very badly, but maybe not. Who the fuck is emo philips? I'll check him out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

"At the same time, use of the term "emo" expanded beyond the musical genre, which added to the confusion surrounding the term. The word "emo" became associated with open displays of strong emotion. Common fashion styles and attitudes that were becoming idiomatic of fans of similar "emo" bands also began to be referred to as "emo." As a result, bands that were loosely associated with "emo" trends or simply demonstrated emotion began to be referred to as emo.[12]"
Emo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_Philips
http://www.emophilips.com/home
Prayer~
"Lord, please break the Laws of the Universe for my convenience."

In 2005, a joke of his was voted funniest religious joke ever in an online poll.
[youtube][/youtube]
http://noolmusic.com/myspace_videos/emo ... ligion.php

In 1988, Philips married comedian Judy Tenuta, another entertainer with an offbeat comic persona. The couple later divorced.

From the webhouse~
I HAVE SOME VERY EXCITING NEWS FOR ME: MY CD IS NOW ALSO AVAILABLE ON I-TUNES FOR THE TANGIBLY-IMPAIRED

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 am

I like both Judy and Emo, didn't know they were even married, let alone divorced--but that had to have made some interesting couple, to say the least.

JK

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 am

Emos should go back to Emu Camp and quit chasing the squirrels.

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:16 am

Back on topic (huh?) for a moment...

There were some pinheads near us at the Temple Burn last year
who kept standing up and yelling and randomly harassing people and wouldn't stop.

I didn't get that. If you're not into being there, go play somewhere else.

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:57 pm

The spiritual people are going to ruin this event , I tell ya.

The temple burn jumped the shark years ago, once the "Sit the Fuck down!!" types showed up. I mean after that the rowdy, beer drinking, yahoo types had no choice but to throw their empty bottles into the air to make a statement.

Thanks alot spiritual type people!!

T.

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:42 pm

The beer soaked yahoos need to move along
and go make their own party.

It's a big playa out there...plenty of room elsewhere.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:38 pm

ygmir wrote:not a hippy army, it's all the Japanese team, marching in formation, chanting "To-Kyo, To-Kyo" from the Rollerball movie........
Or a reasonable facsimile...

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:38 pm

They didn't know about the simultaneous booby and beer party at the other end of the playa. Please try to inform these people next time.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:55 am

you know what really pisses me off?

the sound of one hand clapping.

i HATE zen. Hate it, hate IT, HATE IT!

stick THAT in your temple and meditate it, you fucking commies.

this year, it's MEGA BULL HORN

maybe this is why my girlfriend says i'm such an asshole in the morning....hmm.....hate to see what i might post at night...maybe i should'nt, i dont want to ruin my cranky rep......oh well, back to my morning "fuck You's"
Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:59 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:"come to nikki, max"
James Woods once told me not to be so intense.

_

"Soon, all of us will have special names -- names designed to cause the cathode ray tube to resonate."

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 am

i cant wait to See James Woods playing himself in the James Woods Story.

oh wait, that's pretty much every movie he's in....
Frida Be You & Me

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:09 am

Fascinating thread.
Burning Man is about radical free self expression yet a large number of people seem to want the expression to conform to some sort of standards. Hmmmm.

I clearly remember the year, when I was The Evergreen State College, a large number of white guys started wearing dreadlocks and a large number of women got their noses pierced...

We venerate non-conformity but then everyone tries to conform to whatever the current picture of 'non-conformity' happens to be.

A venue like Burning Man seems like an odd place to start talking about culturally imposed sets of behaviors (like whatever the definition of 'respectful' is at the temple burning). The same people suggesting that there should be a standard of behavior would probabl;y line up to protest other ideas of 'standards of behavior' LOL

Now add the drunken festival aspect to the picture...

BM is just not the place to expect any crowed to conform...if it happens, call it magic, if it doesn't, don't complian.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 am

it's hard being Satan's Lawyer sometimes....

but the pay is GREAT!
Frida Be You & Me

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:48 am

Igneouss wrote:I clearly remember the year, when I was The Evergreen State College...
Hee!
Igneouss wrote:BM is just not the place to expect any crowed to conform...if it happens, call it magic, if it doesn't, don't complian.
Telling people not to "complian" around here is the fastest way I know of to get the middle finger salute.

I salute you, sir!

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 am

It's not about conformity.
It's about respecting other people's reality.

If you're not into what's happening around you, move on.
Do you run into churches on Sunday screaming with circus acts in tow?
(although that does kind of sound like fun to me, but that's me)
Or jump up on the counter in bars and preach about the evils of alcohol?
(unless you want your ass kicked)
You just let those who like that sort of thing carry on undisturbed.

There are of course a variety of ways to experience the Temple Burn. Do your thing whatever it is.
But if you are at an event for no reason other than to try to ruin it for those who ARE enjoying it,
you deserve an un-lubed bullhorn up your ass.

I'll help. *smiling sweetly*

Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Igneouss » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:11 am

My parents loved to tell the story about a problem they had at church services back in the mid-50's (a *very* liberal church):

There was one member who's personal reality dictated standing up and removing all their clothes during services. Needless to say this was a tad disruptive to most other folks.

The church had a very hard time deciding what to do. They convened a comittee... What sort of standards were acceptable to impose on the community? What do you do when one person's dogma bites someone elses karma? In the end they worked it out...

Would I be 'respectful' at the temple burn? yep - I'd prolly be crying and hugging strangers. Would I be prepared to ignore drunk yahoos who show up for the big fire? yep - just part of being at an event like BM don'tchathink?

Of course I'm clueless so ignore my rants :)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 am

I think a lot of it also has to do with how you are introduced to BM. The first tme I went, I was with a group of people many of whom had been there for 10 years or so. I was "instructed" on radical self expression, along with the explanation on how the Burn night was the big party night and the the Temple Burn was a more quiet somber reflective night as people coming to the burn had placed cherished items, wishes, hopes and dreams in the temple throughout the previous week, and this was more a 'spiritual' event.

So, that has always been my attitude ever since--it's just tradition for me--the tradition of BM. How can that have anything to do with infringing on 'radical self expression'? Isn't it just respect for all aspects of the event?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:29 am

Igneouss wrote:Would I be 'respectful' at the temple burn? yep - I'd prolly be crying and hugging strangers. Would I be prepared to ignore drunk yahoos who show up for the big fire? yep - just part of being at an event like BM don'tcha think?
Well done, Grasshopper! I'd give you an 'A' right now, but we don't grade like that 'round here. You, my friend, are getting a "narrative evaluation". C'mon, you know the drill...
Igneouss wrote:Of course I'm clueless so ignore my rants :)
Ranting is also a time honored tradition here. Welcome to the club!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 am

There are of course a variety of ways to experience the Temple Burn. Do your thing whatever it is.
thank you, i will, as well as stand up for those people that want to do it their way...the right to freedom of expression ends at the tip of my nose....go any further, and it's on...

and i grant the same to others, if i dont like the channel, i dont watch the tv.

fucking duh.
But if you are at an event for no reason other than to try to ruin it for those who ARE enjoying it,
i never said that, but even if i was, how could you tell, can you see through my performance art to the true asshole inside me?

i think not.

i'll say it again, Pilgrim, you and what fucking hippy army?
Frida Be You & Me

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

i'll say it again, Pilgrim, you and what fucking hippy army?

No army...not even a hippy.

Just like the bullhorn visual.

*kiss*

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:53 pm

thats better...

go here....

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=23246

i am a big fan of the temple, trust me, Pardner.

But to each his/her own, you know what i mean?
Frida Be You & Me

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I certainly do you sweet talkin' son of a bitch.

*batting eyelashes*
(yes, I'm a girl)

Merry Christmas Simon.

Return to “Stories”