Buring Man getting worse every year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15 am

Fccccuk Buring Man.

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Dave Techie, If I follow your logic what you are saying is that you expect to get spanked and you are going to pretend not to enjoy it because it might not be as good as the last spanking you pretended not to enjoy.

Is your SO better than the last one?

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Dave Techie, If I follow your logic what you are saying is that you expect to get spanked and you are going to pretend not to enjoy it because it might not be as good as the last spanking you pretended not to enjoy.

Is your SO better than the last one?

calamityjane.ie

Virgins!!

Post by calamityjane.ie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 pm

You were all Virgins once!!

I am still a Virgin!!

This year i pop my cherry after years of waiting and looking forward to it!!

Doesn't everyone have a right to have their cherry popped??

Did someone mention spanking????
Cant wait cant wait cant wait!!!!!!

Igneouss

Post by Igneouss » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm

swing on by the Golden Cafe for your personal spanking :) (or at least a decent drink).

Cheers

Igneouss

Harinama

NO!

Post by Harinama » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:53 am

every year is different, and also fantastic. I think you have to be mindful of the crowds and deal with them on your own terms. The population of BRC isn't a big deal, but the choke spots are.

4th year, and i've loved the last 3.

50,000 folks at BRC, i defy you to find 1 frown!
Harinama Das
"inner peace is but a universe away"

kahluagal
Burning Since: 2005

Post by kahluagal » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I'll stay out of the 'it was better x year' debate, since I'm pretty conflicted and jaded about a lot of the experience. I will say that exodus seems to be worse every year; I understand it's hard to move so many people in cars out quickly, but WTF happened this year? There were a couple of girls doing the 'will show boobs for beer' crap, but that couldn't explain the massive wait. Sure enough, at the end of the line to get to the highway there were 3 traffic control folks with neon 'security' (private contractors?) vests holding up 'slow' signs. Aren't there usually DPW folks to help with this (other than the token 1 person asking for booze)? My god, even when the traffic lights go out in a city there's usually someone who helps direct traffic. This year it seemed to be 'screw you, party's over - you're on your own'. Very frustrating...

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Sure enough, at the end of the line to get to the highway there were 3 traffic control folks with neon 'security' (private contractors?) vests holding up 'slow' signs. Aren't there usually DPW folks to help with this (other than the token 1 person asking for booze)? My god, even when the traffic lights go out in a city there's usually someone who helps direct traffic. This year it seemed to be 'screw you, party's over - you're on your own'. Very frustrating...
Yeh, well, the party was pretty much fucking over. Hangovers and all.

If you were volunteering to help out with the problem you're whining so much about you'd know that Nevada law requires every flagger has to go through a day long class in traffic control. Consider that of the three people you saw with vests that probably two of them took several days off to leave the bay area (or areas a nearby) to take the class so that they might kick in to help with Exodus. Not to mention the time they spent trying to get your ass off of the playa as best they could rather than bolting like the other 39,000 people.

nosuchtim

Re: Does gifting scale?

Post by nosuchtim » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 pm

bradtem wrote:We've had an uptick in tagging and vandalism. Two of my art installations were tagged with graffiti this year, one multiple times.
Ditto here - my art installation got tagged. And pissed on.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45 am

Sure enough, at the end of the line to get to the highway there were 3 traffic control folks with neon 'security' (private contractors?) vests holding up 'slow' signs. Aren't there usually DPW folks to help with this (other than the token 1 person asking for booze)? My god, even when the traffic lights go out in a city there's usually someone who helps direct traffic. This year it seemed to be 'screw you, party's over - you're on your own'. Very frustrating...
[/quote]

Those of us who work exodus and I am one of them have to actually leave the event to be trained and tested to be a flagger in Gerlach for a full day. Not everyone is a trained flagger. Some walk around in the blistering heat schlepping cones and trying not to get run over by people speeding by with dirty wind shields so that people can drive between the lines and not into each other. We also watch for broken down cars, remind people not to speed, unclog lanes that are not moving and generally try to provide safe driving conditions for people while we enjoy less than peachy conditions. Do you want us to dance too? We endanger ourselves so that *YOU* can drive home safe.

Why don't lines move? There is an amazing amount of reasons. Cars break down, people leave their vehicles to chat with others, people doze off, people wait awhile to move forward even know there are four car spaces ahead of them, there are people trying to ask the exodus people inane questions such as "whats the driving like in reno?," there are people who block lanes when they try to cut in line, people who realize their loads are not secure and I could go on...

So what are you doing help beside bitch about how everyone else (especially unpaid volunteers) should do a better job to make your burn better? Get a grip and make use of yourself or at least appreciate what is done by those of us who do it and try to make everyone's burn that much safer.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 am

We counted six broken down vehicles in the line in front of us. Mostly crappy old buses and RVs which had overheated. One truck was partially unpacked as a girl searched for her Imodium. The men with her looked embarrassed and stressed.

As we got to the final merge point on the gravel, we handed the guy directing traffic an ice cold Fosters. His reaction was priceless and I hope we made his day a bit better.

Three hours. It has been worse. Like the year the lines were backed up into the city streets, and the woman who drove across the emptying city blocks to cut in line. She actually bumped me with her SUV. Me, as in, I was out of our vehicle and she intentionally tried to shove me out of the way with tons of steel. Dim bint got sent to the back of the line. That day it was six hours to the pavement.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 am

I am sad that I missed the Temple Burn but glad that we got out by 8am Sunday. :D

kahluagal
Burning Since: 2005

Post by kahluagal » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 pm

[quote="DoriumLux"]

Those of us who work exodus and I am one of them have to actually leave the event to be trained and tested to be a flagger in Gerlach for a full day. Not everyone is a trained flagger. Some walk around in the blistering heat schlepping cones and trying not to get run over by people speeding by with dirty wind shields so that people can drive between the lines and not into each other. We also watch for broken down cars, remind people not to speed, unclog lanes that are not moving and generally try to provide safe driving conditions for people while we enjoy less than peachy conditions. Do you want us to dance too? We endanger ourselves so that *YOU* can drive home safe.

Why don't lines move? There is an amazing amount of reasons. Cars break down, people leave their vehicles to chat with others, people doze off, people wait awhile to move forward even know there are four car spaces ahead of them, there are people trying to ask the exodus people inane questions such as "whats the driving like in reno?," there are people who block lanes when they try to cut in line, people who realize their loads are not secure and I could go on...

So what are you doing help beside bitch about how everyone else (especially unpaid volunteers) should do a better job to make your burn better? Get a grip and make use of yourself or at least appreciate what is done by those of us who do it and try to make everyone's burn that much safer.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate that people are out there trying to make it safe for everyone in line. Sorry if it sounded like I had too much attitude about the issue.
insert witty slogan here...

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 pm

This year was absolutely terrible. Worst one for me yet. A real let down.

Grazelda

Post by Grazelda » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:This year was absolutely terrible. Worst one for me yet. A real let down.
Why?

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

CDF's post count is over 500. He doesn't need to use smilies.

Wolfe

Post by Wolfe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I am sad that I missed the Temple Burn but glad that we got out by 8am Sunday. :D
Amen to that. We drove from our site at 3:00 and F to the main highway in about twenty minutes. Not bad at all :).

2009 was my first BM, but I'm okay with missing the Temple Burn. I was there to see the man burn, I saw it, I'm happy.

--Wolfe

falk
Burning Since: 2004

Post by falk » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:25 pm

I thought it was a pretty good year. Better than the previous two. No comparison to 2005, though.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:48 pm

why all the whinning??

you could just say your not coming back..

that would be good for me..

i will be there without you..

moesgurlie

Right on Teo

Post by moesgurlie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Teo, i have to agree, without a doubt 2007 was spectaculiar. The art, the people, and the beautiful rainbows. Eerybody has their favorite years and for whatever reasons, and mine was 2007. Every year is different, and thats a good thing. Ya just gotta love the city.

Here is my input for our 2009 city:

1. First of all i just found out the count was 27,000 not 42,000. I was guessing 30,000 so i'll buy the 27,000 but i knew 42,000 was way off. Economy being a big part, but i wonder how many backed out due to the early entry and pass situation.

2. Cell phone service on the playa, hell as far as that goes service in Empire. To me this is a little dissapointing. I liked the feeling of really being distant from the real world. And as lame as it sounds--it always made the trip home a little fun trying to see who got cell phone service first. Cell phone service, humm whats next vendors and television.

3. i have always camped around 7 or 730 and its my favorite. this year i camped way the hell down at 230. My group i was with for some reason like it down there. We had a corner which was nice but .....the unfortunate part, for me anyway, was NON-STOP RAP CRAP. There was a camp close by who blasted the same rap-crap..best way to put it to be perfectly honest it sounded like a loop-tape. To each their own but i cant stand listening to the shit at home much less at BM. I refuse to even consider it music. It's an anybody can jump on the bandwagon who can talk not sing and rhyme words that mean nothing. When the dude on american idol broadcasted to millions of viewers about his wonderful shroom trip he had at BM on the playa i knew the city was going to be hit with alot of "spring-breakers." Like uh hey man this is better than girls gone wild. I just hate to see the city become just a spring-break type feeling.

Maybe we could have a private place on the outskirts of the city called rap-crap camp or village and all rap can camp there and we who choose not to listen to it can TOTALLY AVOID going there. Just a thought people-cause its just the beginning.
I hope i am not alone in not wanting to hear blasting rap 24-7. Feedback on that????

I am thinking next year my place at BM is going to be with the ranger camp. The younsters are moving in i'm getting a little older and that way i can still enjoy my city, see everything, have a purpose, and hopefully be of some kind of guidance for the new ones who really want to understand what BM is all about.

ok well i feel better now, just had to get that all out of me.

once a burner always a burner.

im going to close and go check out the UFO"s over the temple burn on u-tube. Damn i knew i left to early.

moesgurlie

missing ranger

Post by moesgurlie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 pm

who gives a shit what people wear or dont wear, if your so into what eveyones wears, you must not be busy having enough of your own fun. But go ahead and bag on everybody--but hey leave the rangers out-theres something about those rangers and their outfits. arrrrrrrhhhh. i havent finished unpacking yet--i was only joking when i said oh my my you are going home with me. if your not in my unpacked tubs, and you are reading this, yes mr center camp ranger with the eyes to die for you are the one , and thanks for the info about ranger camp. coed living? hummmmmmmmmmm. yep, rangering is for me next year.

CannotWait

Post by CannotWait » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:10 pm

[quote="postcardbox"]This thread gave me nightmares. I dreamt that BM was being held at a college dormitory and was walking distance to Costco.[/quote]

Just wanted you to know this made me laugh. It sounds like the type of dream I would have!

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:34 pm

[quote="kahluagal"]I'll stay out of the 'it was better x year' debate, since I'm pretty conflicted and jaded about a lot of the experience. I will say that exodus seems to be worse every year; I understand it's hard to move so many people in cars out quickly, but WTF happened this year? There were a couple of girls doing the 'will show boobs for beer' crap, but that couldn't explain the massive wait. Sure enough, at the end of the line to get to the highway there were 3 traffic control folks with neon 'security' (private contractors?) vests holding up 'slow' signs. Aren't there usually DPW folks to help with this (other than the token 1 person asking for booze)? My god, even when the traffic lights go out in a city there's usually someone who helps direct traffic. This year it seemed to be 'screw you, party's over - you're on your own'. Very frustrating...[/quote]

Hey Kahluagal

I appreciate your frustration. That is an Exodus function, which is a part of the Gate Perimeter and Exodus family.

No, each year we "don't have enough folks" which is part of the problem. Also, there are the people whose mothers raised them wrong and decide to just not listen and do whatever they want...cutting lines, etc.

So go ahead and go to the Burningman.com website and fill out the Volunteer questionnaire and indicate you want to help with Exodus.

After that's done, shoot an email to [email protected] and let him know you're interested in giving back to the city this year.

Thanks for your gift of service.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Burning Man was soooo much better next year. :roll:

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

it was best when we could still catch fish........
*slap, sending Grog back*
"no channeling Pleistocene era burners"

slap, slap, slap.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:50 pm

The water trucks drove too fast this year.

turtlebird

Post by turtlebird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

[quote="C.f.M."]Burning Man was soooo much better next year. :roll:[/quote]

Yes!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:The water trucks drove too fast this year.
Yeah. I didn't have any time for "repeat."

(Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Water truck bath joke.)

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 am

i didnt find exodus too difficult. our vehicle entered the lineup around 3pm on monday, and was cruising along the highway a little over 2 hours later.

however, i fell the pain of those who left even 20 minutes later, since we wernt far behind (and therefore quickly directed around) that flipped vehicle/trailer that bottlenecked the entire road

trevkong

well

Post by trevkong » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:36 pm

To quote angels in america: "It's something you learn after your second theme party, its all been done before" I suspect when and if the time comes that burning man becomes coachella, people will naturally already be seeding and growing the next species of event. It happens in nightlife, religion, anything with a bunch of people all stuck together.
http://facebook.com/trevkong

Return to “Stories”