Buring Man getting worse every year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 pm

britzbitz wrote:...I get this complaint all the time with the festival I work for.

Really, it's one of those things that people are going to complain about no matter what. I'm sure anyone involved in organizing any kind of event has heard the same sentiment a million times over.

In my opinion; it's all perception. You see what you want to, be it good, bad or ugly (or in this case, pretentious?). There are all realms of possibility open to you at an event, and it's a matter of which path you choose to go down.

And, from working on an event myself, I'm able to be objective enough when I do have a shitty time at an event to realize that my experiences are probably just a product of where my head's at.

Here's a fave image of mine that I stumbled upon from Glastonbury:

SHAMBHALA'S WAY WORSE THAN LAST YEAR YOU HAVE TO BE 19....

j/k!!! No, I think Shambhala has been improving. better infrastructure, better stages every year! and age limit good!

Honestly, I think my first burn will be my worst. I was constantly feeling overwhelmed, overdressed, underdressed, overheated, and feeling like I wasn't getting to do anything because I was too busy waiting for someone or being too hot or going to Conclave practices.

That said, I really enjoyed the nights and dancing at certain places, and in the search for "something else" I didn't do enough of that.

So next year will be all about carrying all the essentials on my bike (more layers, more water) so I dont have to worry about carrying my pack or going back to camp RIGHT NOW.

So I hope next year is better than this year! haha!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 pm

You don't think she has a special force?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:You don't think she has a special force?
"one cannot assess a danger, unless one sees and knows, the weapon, first".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Present your weapons.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

stand back............

although, I was talking about seeing the weapons I'll be facing
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Me too.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 pm

"en garde"Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

[SpaceBoy]

Re: Buring Man getting worse every year?

Post by [SpaceBoy] » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 am

jackmack wrote:I've had good and bad years at burning man over time and it is true you need to be the change you want to see bla bla.... but,

as the population increases more trendy people are showing up with this new "burner" scene mentality where costumes matter more than personality.

I met some great people this year but not as many as previous years... it's becoming... .well help me out here... mainstream? trendy? superficial?.. how about just meaningless?

anyone else notice this degenerating vibe? Is it just me?

I see people showing up... and clinging to "their" camp with "their" "PRIVATE" art car for "PRIVATE" parties with all the people they came out with. The goal? To go out and dance every single night with "their" elite group of close minded friends via V.I.P.. New relationships? yea right, you wish you had a costume like that! Smug fake "scensters" who I've been trying to avoid my whole life have completely infiltrated burning man.

I'm sorry but if you're not breaking boundaries, facing your fears, overcoming your insecurities, and making love to someone NEW, then why the fuck do you come to burning man?

...on it's way out.
this is the mindset that is ruining the event. you place the blame on everyone else for "ruining your burn". go out there and have a great time, dont worry about what other people are doing, trust me there is more than enough stuff going on that if you dont wanna see a bunch of "mainstream ravers" you dont have to. or hell, stay home. someone need to complain on eplaya while we are all in BRC having a great time.
humble servant to The Monaco, cna be seen: swinging from the rigging, more likely to be swabbing the deck

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Re: Buring Man getting worse every year?

Post by Kinetik V » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 am

jackmack wrote:I've had good and bad years at burning man over time and it is true you need to be the change you want to see bla bla.... but,

as the population increases more trendy people are showing up with this new "burner" scene mentality where costumes matter more than personality.

I met some great people this year but not as many as previous years... it's becoming... .well help me out here... mainstream? trendy? superficial?.. how about just meaningless?

anyone else notice this degenerating vibe? Is it just me?

I see people showing up... and clinging to "their" camp with "their" "PRIVATE" art car for "PRIVATE" parties with all the people they came out with. The goal? To go out and dance every single night with "their" elite group of close minded friends via V.I.P.. New relationships? yea right, you wish you had a costume like that! Smug fake "scensters" who I've been trying to avoid my whole life have completely infiltrated burning man.

I'm sorry but if you're not breaking boundaries, facing your fears, overcoming your insecurities, and making love to someone NEW, then why the fuck do you come to burning man?

...on it's way out.
I wanted to repost this as it nails one of my biggest issues with the event. Privatization. Exclusive events that exclude rather than include. It seems to be on the increase and IMHO it's going to be one of if not the thing that causes the event to collapse. One private party during the week is one thing but to make your camp / village a private fiefdom is another thing entirely. It's good to see someone else out there with a similar point of view.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 am

The private stuff doesn't bother me much. What bothers me are the camps/MVs/whathaveyou which appear to be public, but only allow certain individuals to participate. Meh.

However, there are still so many wonderful people and and camps and art that I don't miss the closed off turtles in their air conditioned shells whatsoever.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 am

As with life, Burning Man is what you make it.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 am

99 percent of the burn is what you make of it. So if yer burn sucks, YOU suck
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

H.G.Crosby

Finally.

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am

a way to keep the riff-raff at bay.

if we dont take measures to insure the that only the best and the burniest can co-mingulate with other top-grade thoroughburners, than we can expect to see
the co-option and eventual destruction of our fete-a-tete, as the lowest common de Nom a Raver takes hold, and the vast sewage pit of democracy whisks us all away to 120bpm.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am

It's become a Big City, and people have Big-City attitudes.
The choice of theme is apropos.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Meh. I'm the kind of person, where all will be welcome in our camp. I think my camp leader agrees (well, she's sort of the leader, but she doesn't give that mentality either)

If you don't want me in your camp cause I have some raver beads on, find. You can miss out on the awesome fun and conversation I have to offer.

Find yourself stranded on the other end of the playa, needing some shade and a tall, cool glass of lemonade to wet your snarky tongue, I'll gladly squeeze you some lemons (or in this case, drop some frozen lemon ice cubes in a cup, less mess without the rhinds) and I'll be just as friendly. :)

I won't ask for anything in return. But I will ask you pay it forward, and maybe let the next "virgin, trendy, younger wannabe-burner" into your camp next time... :cry:

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

I think it's more complex than it is what you make it, though that's an important factor. Sometimes people jump to defend Burning Man Now without giving any consideration to the complaints. This will be my 15th year, and here are a couple reasons to validate the perception that things are getting "worse:" It was my fourth year when I witnessed my first fight, law enforcement has grown out of control, graffiti and assault was rare 10 years ago, and yes there weren't private parties every block and far fewer assholes. Every year there are more rules and registration problems.

All of that said, BMorg has been uniquely successful in fostering good relationships with LE and local government. Their infrastruction imo is outstanding, and I chalk the problems mentioned up to general issues with increased population and greedy governmental types. Interesting challenges to be sure. But with the assholes, well heck, they're all kinds of fun with the right attitude.

There is an easy enough answer for those longing for the wild west days of Burning Man. Go to a regional, or create your own. Our camp is currently considering a move to a regional for 2011. Just to shake things up a little.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm

The brightest roses grow in the deepest shit.

Wolfe

Not That Much Suckage, But . . .

Post by Wolfe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm

After reading this topic, I'll admit one thing that's been on my mind about the event was "nighttime courtesy". Hear me out:

Last year was my first year. So, like a lot of virgins, some things I had to learn the hard way: getting used to being covered in playa dust, remembering hourly applications of sunscreen, and so on.

So, at night when I hit the road, I usually forgot to bring a flashlight, glowstick, or whatever. This being my first time, I didn't think much of it, and the moon was providing ample light to see by.

However, people began to shout at me "Youneedtoglowthankyou!" and, "You need to glow, NOW!" It took me a minute to figure out that I needed to get some kind of personal illumination, for safety's sake, versus some sort of unusual artistic expression that I regularly encountered during the day :) .

The thing that kind of annoyed me were people *covered* in glowsticks, glowstrips, and various types of glowing material who shouted this crap *and then did nothing to solve the problem*. After hearing "You need to glow!" from the fifth idiot who sped by me, I tuned them out. I usually solved the problem by asking someone stationary to spare a glowstick or some illuminated material if they were so inclined.

So, I pass this on to the people who read this, from my own personal experience: If you find someone at night without illumination, *solve the problem*. Instead of being one of the rude idiots shouting "Youneedtoglow!" as they speed by covered in twenty-plus glowing bracelets, stop and say, "Hey, you look like you could use one of these," and spare them a piece of light gear. I was grateful to the people who actively helped me solve my non-illumination problem and spared me a glowing bracelet or stick, versus some playa nerd on a bike who shouted useless advice at me as they went by.

If I make it to this year's event, one of my personal missions is to make sure I have glowing material to share at night.

--Wolfe

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 am

Good idea, Wolfe, I am sorry that I had not addressed that.

Wolfe

Post by Wolfe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Good idea, Wolfe, I am sorry that I had not addressed that.
You don't have to apologize for anything, Dougly; I should have thought to bring some nighttime illumination, and I forgot. At least you weren't one of the idiots who shouted something about glowing as they sped past me.

--Wolfe

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 am

I did. You just couldn't tell who it was, because of all the damn blinkies on my bike. :D

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Wolfe, I think the idea of having extra glow, whatever it might be, is a great idea.
Not to mention this year will be much darker than last http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phas ... ndar.phtml
People will have to carry light, of some sort. Or there will be way more darkness related accidents.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:This will be my 12th year, and when I meet a newbie (especially by the time Thursday or Friday rolls around) I hug them and tell them how damn lucky they are. And they look at me like I'm the weird one. Then I tell them that as newbs all of this is special and amazing; whereas for me and some of my fellow Barbiebarians, it's old hat and same-old same-old. But TTITD is different every year, in one way or another. Was it better in the years past? Yes, but only through my perspective. For a newbie, this is the best year ever.

Welcome aboard, and drop by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, the best damn themecamp in the city.
I agree with everything Dr. Pyro said.
2009 was my first year, and i'll never get that back. I remember the first few raves I went to (yeah yeah, ravers are the devil, and all that huh-bub) they were amazing... After a couple years, it got old, plain, run down, the 'scene' was wrong, the people were wrong.... So a couple years ago I pretty much stopped going. I was feeling all the problems I'm hearing are happening to Burning Man.
Then my girlfriend's little sister and her friends are older now and starting to rave. To them it is amazing.
I worry that a day might come when I am not thoroughly overwhelmed, over sensitized, over joyed, and utterly amazed by Burning man, just because I've 'been there done that'!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Oso

Post by Oso » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

We create the experience.... if not us, then who? The playa is just an empty desert that we fill with beauty and wonder. Let's create a great, positive, unbelievable experience.... a dream within a dream.
Exciting, isn't it?! Ooooooh....
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:35 pm

are you suggesting Sparklers??
don't forget to floss

Oso

Post by Oso » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Sparklers? Flame throwers or fire canons at least.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.

Victorian

Re: Not That Much Suckage, But . . .

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Wolfe wrote:After reading this topic, I'll admit one thing that's been on my mind about the event was "nighttime courtesy". Hear me out:

Last year was my first year. So, like a lot of virgins, some things I had to learn the hard way: getting used to being covered in playa dust, remembering hourly applications of sunscreen, and so on.

So, at night when I hit the road, I usually forgot to bring a flashlight, glowstick, or whatever. This being my first time, I didn't think much of it, and the moon was providing ample light to see by.

However, people began to shout at me "Youneedtoglowthankyou!" and, "You need to glow, NOW!" It took me a minute to figure out that I needed to get some kind of personal illumination, for safety's sake, versus some sort of unusual artistic expression that I regularly encountered during the day :) .

The thing that kind of annoyed me were people *covered* in glowsticks, glowstrips, and various types of glowing material who shouted this crap *and then did nothing to solve the problem*. After hearing "You need to glow!" from the fifth idiot who sped by me, I tuned them out. I usually solved the problem by asking someone stationary to spare a glowstick or some illuminated material if they were so inclined.

So, I pass this on to the people who read this, from my own personal experience: If you find someone at night without illumination, *solve the problem*. Instead of being one of the rude idiots shouting "Youneedtoglow!" as they speed by covered in twenty-plus glowing bracelets, stop and say, "Hey, you look like you could use one of these," and spare them a piece of light gear. I was grateful to the people who actively helped me solve my non-illumination problem and spared me a glowing bracelet or stick, versus some playa nerd on a bike who shouted useless advice at me as they went by.

If I make it to this year's event, one of my personal missions is to make sure I have glowing material to share at night.

--Wolfe
Wolfe-YOU are reason number 109,009,766,827 that I am going to BM this year. You're story is awesome, inspiring, and very hopeful for a birgin myself. I will definitely bring some extra glowies and blinkies. If you make it this year, I hope to see you on the playa!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Fuck all that.

Call them a Darkwad, because that's what they are, and then give them a book of matches and throw a cup of gasoline on them...giving them the option of not being such a fucking darkwad.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:54 pm

I think that's your new nickname for me. Darkwad.

And I shall bring you lots of PINK glowy thingies....

Because, without people like you, I wouldn't realize that BM's about meeting all kinds of different people. I'm pretty sure that's the #1 reason I'm going-the people-all colors, shapes, sizes, and levels of niceness. :roll:

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm not picking on you(yet), Victorian.

Darkwad is the long established term for someone that is one, but you can call them what you want.

So far I like all your posts, even though you reming me of Deb sometimes, just keep your pink glowy shit away from me.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Return to “Stories”