Buring Man getting worse every year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 pm

i didnt find exodus too difficult. our vehicle entered the lineup around 3pm on monday, and was cruising along the highway a little over 2 hours later.
Cheesus this is just WAITING for the Snark Tanker to pull into port.

2 hours? TWO FUCKING HOURS?

Whose dick did you suck to get out so fucking quickly?????

Enquiring minds want to know.

trevkong

Post by trevkong » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 am

[quote="Isotopia"][quote]i didnt find exodus too difficult. our vehicle entered the lineup around 3pm on monday, and was cruising along the highway a little over 2 hours later. [/quote]

Cheesus this is just WAITING for the Snark Tanker to pull into port.

2 hours? TWO FUCKING HOURS?

Whose dick did you suck to get out so fucking quickly?????

Enquiring minds want to know.[/quote]

God iso, i swear your signature is designed to destroy my poor little mac mini, i need a warning on threads you post on! :)
http://facebook.com/trevkong

Marscrumbs

Ten burns in twenty years so I can speak with authority.

Post by Marscrumbs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Definitely, declines every year.
But still better than a root canal.

epic_elite

Post by epic_elite » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 pm

bradtem wrote:
absence of creative dress may signify a spectator-mode approach.
You need to be careful there. Yes, there are some people there dressed ordinarily who are just spectators, but most of the more serious artists I know at Burning Man tend to be quite plain in their playa appearance. Simply, if you are putting a lot of work into your playa art, or other tasks, you don't have much time to focus on a cool costume.

In fact, it might be more likely to say (though again not universally true) that if you see somebody in outrageous playa wear, they are more likely to be a spectator who just comes to party, if a better level of spectator.

(And yes, I know that felt insulting to those who do come in cool costumes are not not spectators, just as the quoted statement felt that way.)
I agree with your point here. and the post you made prior to this one.

the playa has built in filters. i.e. the heat and maximal conditions aren't for many, and some people would rather stay home to avoid the desert heat. and i have had many people scoff at me when i try to explain what "camping in the desert" is like.

in a way i support the increase in price for the event, as it filters out the people less determined to go. the BM experience is priceless to me. i bought the 3rd tear tickest this year at $280 and i would pay double that.

for my first burn i made getting ready into a part time job. we showed up and had some freinds over who were on thier 7th burn. they asked "how many times have you guys been?" we respond, "this is our first year". 7 year burner says, "you guys are more prepared than i have ever been..."

some people take things more seriously than others, I enjoy hard work... ENJOY... if BM had filters to keep new comers like me out, i never would have been able to come in the first place.

that was just my first year. now i know how to build a shade structure from scratch. and this year i have already planned on building upon my inadequacies from last time...

my bike had little to no lighting last time... as i spent hundreds of hours on research and designing a shade structure and resources to facilitate for our camp and surplus to gift.

i spent all available sources i had to make the perfect experience in my own eyes on the first year. but only after i have that experience under my belt, can i expand in another direction.

costume, in my opinion is over rated. I greatly appreciate other's excentricites and efforts. but it's not me.

i went to mexico on my honey moon, and there was a small group of kids in thier early 20's. they were some goth/punk kids. looking cool to them was significantly more important than being comfortable. i dont belive i ever saw them leave the resort because they were so hot and misserable. they chose to look cool over being comfortable.

to me, comfort is a big issue. i dont have the time and money to explore my options on finding a happy medium. maybe in a few years i will have that luxery. but my camp has room to grow and expand. i choose to expand in my own way. and i choose to express myself in my own way.

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:58 am

My first burn was '09. I can't comment on earlier ones. It was so fine in so many ways. I do have a problem with some "veterans" with burnier than thou attitudes complaining about the "old days". They can never have a virgin burn again, eyes wide open, sucking up the whole experience. Nether can I. But I hope it is better. Is it getting worse? I'll let you know next year.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:35 pm

This will be my 12th year, and when I meet a newbie (especially by the time Thursday or Friday rolls around) I hug them and tell them how damn lucky they are. And they look at me like I'm the weird one. Then I tell them that as newbs all of this is special and amazing; whereas for me and some of my fellow Barbiebarians, it's old hat and same-old same-old. But TTITD is different every year, in one way or another. Was it better in the years past? Yes, but only through my perspective. For a newbie, this is the best year ever.

Welcome aboard, and drop by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, the best damn themecamp in the city.

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

soo.... costumes, or as i like to call them, outfits can be as elaborate as one wants them to be! I will be a fifth year burner this year my favorite thing is that i can have fun outfits that i could never get away with in the default world. the heat just adds something to the plan of how to have a fabulous outfit and not be hot. My fav that I saw last year was my friend Jason wearing only an animal thong( muppets, just the head) taking people on rides in his rickshaw. fantabulous, except for the butt hair,( he is a very hairy guy) utterly hysterical. The elements seem to make me be more creative, like my dirty Elmo outfit, made of all talking elmo dolls in various sexual positions. how fun is that. So as a long time burner, I say outfits are great, not necessary, but soooooooooo much fun. It can be a way to particiate!!!!!! That being said, most of the day I wear an african sarong. At night I go nuts (literally and figuratively) As far as it getting worse every year, I think it is different every year, 98 being my first, and all I know is that I have fun every year. It changes and I accept those changes, I do however agree with hitler and hate glitch and poop crap shit step. thats why i go to trance trance, and pink mammoth. no jaded burner here!!!!!!!!!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:54 pm

That's the beauty of Burning Man.

You can wear or not wear whatever you feel like whenever you want.

I throw a variety of interesting things into my bag and dress up if I'm feeling it.
And I'm usually feeling it.

Some days you may recognize me and other times you would have no idea it's me in there.

Many of my usual camp mates don't dress much differently than they do at home. A few are completely insane.

It's all good.

It all works.

brigitami

Post by brigitami » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

Every year is different.

Yeah, there's nothing like your first year (the awakening) if Burning Man is in deed your thing. I remember the exact moment that I got that "Home" feeling my first year....it did feel like coming home....it's amazing there is nothing else like it (':cry:')

But nothing will be like last year. And no other year is going to be like next year. That's the beauty of a temporary city.

Even the really shitty years come with lessons learned and barriers broken down. I guess it can depend on wether or not you are going to burning man just to party or if it really is a *calling* for you. But if all you really wanted was for it to be peaches & orgasms the whole time then why the hell are you camping in a prehistoric lake bed in the desert of nowhere, nevada, anyway?

Costumes? fuck yeah! Our tribe loves to dress up. I think it's fun because when we get together throughout the year it gives us all something to talk about, plan, trade. like curiousgnate said, we don't get to dress up like that in the default world. (well most of us)

ha...but i didn't even put on half my outfits last burn.....it seemed like a pain in the ass once i got out there in the dust......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heather the Goat
Campoline---going Hobo for 2010
8:30 & portapotty

"If you are not sure if its portapotty safe then just eat the MOOP"

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 am

burning man sucks.

don't go.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:burning man sucks.

don't go.
Yap.
, Go some where fun..

britzbitz
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Post by britzbitz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 am

...I get this complaint all the time with the festival I work for.

Really, it's one of those things that people are going to complain about no matter what. I'm sure anyone involved in organizing any kind of event has heard the same sentiment a million times over.

In my opinion; it's all perception. You see what you want to, be it good, bad or ugly (or in this case, pretentious?). There are all realms of possibility open to you at an event, and it's a matter of which path you choose to go down.

And, from working on an event myself, I'm able to be objective enough when I do have a shitty time at an event to realize that my experiences are probably just a product of where my head's at.

Here's a fave image of mine that I stumbled upon from Glastonbury:

"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 am

More Wurst Every Year!

britzbitz
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Post by britzbitz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 am

^^^

She's hot.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:07 pm

please ask my permission next time you wanna post my sausage around my fiancee's neck
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:06 pm

"German Sausage. Everything Else is Cheese."

*snort!*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:"German Sausage. Everything Else is Cheese."

*snort!*
Beziehen Sie sich auf die französisch?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 am

chorizo!!!
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:39 pm

TomServo wrote:

*snort!*
Nein. Ich dankte es komisch war, nicht das es war dumm.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
TomServo wrote:

*snort!*
Nein. Ich dankte es komisch war, nicht das es war dumm.
Die französisch lustig sind. Ich hasse Käse.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Nein, ich hasse sie nicht Käse, ich hasse, was es darstellt.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:50 am

Show romanization
Dann benötigen Sie vielleicht zu den Käse finden Sie ... unangenehm verändern.

Vielleicht ein trockenes Parmesan in der Patchouli einer Hippie-mariniert?

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:47 am

Foul!!

"Illegal use of German language"

Fishy, Tomservo, Isotopia.............free kick, and a paddling
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 am

Isotopia wrote:Show romanization
Dann benötigen Sie vielleicht zu den Käse finden Sie ... unangenehm verändern.

Vielleicht ein trockenes Parmesan in der Patchouli einer Hippie-mariniert?
Warum zun Teufel reden wir Käse??

Alles ist in der Liebe und Käse fair. Ygmir

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm

I really hope it is not getting "worse every year".
Every year will be different, with some positive and negative.

There will always be those who do come just for the cheese and crackers, and not to visit the people actually attending.

I will be a virgin this year. Had I heard about it before 2009, I would have been home with the rest of you long ago, and talking about the good old days.

I will always have a respect for the vets, even if they are a bit sun-dried and cranky from being nostalgic. I will always listen to what they have to say. Even if it is to gock at my princess costume I am bringing this year, complete with crown and two petticoats underneath.

I come from 130 degree weather, where the desert isn't flat, but covered by hills and mountains as well. I am quite sure I can beat the heat. I am quite positive, however, I will be a starry-eyed noob, who looks more jaded then ever. Atleast give me the patience this year, so we can point and laugh and the idiots in 2011.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:15 pm

two petticoats?..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lonestoner916

Petticoats Rock!

Post by lonestoner916 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 am

Talk about hot links... :twisted:
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 am

nice............

I was thinking south american special forces.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 am

Special South American Samba Forces?

Carnaval!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 pm