Buring Man getting worse every year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Oh well thank you oneyeddick. I figured as much from the term... but I just felt like picking fun.

I'm quite good at it. I think you'll be the first person I chase around in my princess peach costume...

Pink, glowy, and full of happy butterflies and smiles and bunny rabbits and fairy dust and all that fun stuffs.

I'll make you like it yet!!

btw, who's Deb?

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:19 pm

Someone else here who always includes the person's name they are responding to in the reply even when it is not necessary.

Do you like Ginger Ale ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I don't always have to put a name in. Just if the conversation is starting to differ to someone in particular.

Ginger Ale's not bad. I don't buy it regularly myself, but I have a cold right now. I could go for some.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha. I was going to make a darkwad costume and in fact a partially finished bubble fur black vest is thrown in a closet somewhere here. I was going to hide a bunch of elwire in it so I could hit a button and light up.

I'm a better tinkerer than seemster. The burglers mask with small fake fur mohawk is somewhere around here too. :(
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 pm

It was about two minutes after I pulled off the highway in my old car for my first burn 11(?) burns ago, on the way to the greeters, and I was creeping along in first gear with no foot on the gas, digging the Burma-shave signs and so excited, and when I was passed numerous times by dust spewing nimrods I realized I might as well forget the notion that somehow this experience would be void of assholes of countless varieties.

That being the case, the only way for me to not get hung up on others assholeness was (and still is) to catch that judgment ASAP and let it go ASAP. If it’s right in my face and wants to hang there, just get the feet or bike moving and turn the eyes/ears to focus on something new and even with judgment devils tying to seduce me into their nest, the mind will follow the eyes and openness may, hopefully, return to make that moment of new freedom one of the best burns ever.

My ride for my fist burn (ok, it IS easier to chill in something like that...)

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:51 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Ha ha ha ha ha. I was going to make a darkwad costume and in fact a partially finished bubble fur black vest is thrown in a closet somewhere here. I was going to hide a bunch of elwire in it so I could hit a button and light up.

I'm a better tinkerer than seemster. The burglers mask with small fake fur mohawk is somewhere around here too. :(
I love this idea. would take the sting out of "Darkwad" shouters, maybe give them a laugh.

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:03 am

DoctorIknow wrote: I realized I might as well forget the notion that somehow this experience would be void of assholes of countless varieties.
Too true.
Sadly they are there as they are everywhere.
But you don't have to get stuck with them.
Don't waste a moment acknowledging the assholeness.
It's a very big playa.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:It was about two minutes after I pulled off the highway in my old car for my first burn 11(?) burns ago, on the way to the greeters, and I was creeping along in first gear with no foot on the gas, digging the Burma-shave signs and so excited, and when I was passed numerous times by dust spewing nimrods I realized I might as well forget the notion that somehow this experience would be void of assholes of countless varieties.

That being the case, the only way for me to not get hung up on others assholeness was (and still is) to catch that judgment ASAP and let it go ASAP. If it’s right in my face and wants to hang there, just get the feet or bike moving and turn the eyes/ears to focus on something new and even with judgment devils tying to seduce me into their nest, the mind will follow the eyes and openness may, hopefully, return to make that moment of new freedom one of the best burns ever.

PIMP
you really wouldn't have to mod that too much for it to count as an art car, lol.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Very awesome advice doctor, probably the best I've heard this month yet from eplaya.

Thanks for sharing!

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

\^/
/..\ Furthur

Braindribble

Good or bad year? Who can tell?

Post by Braindribble » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:46 pm

I have to agree with both sides here to a point. I think part of the Burning man experience and its concept was to have a experience and share it with others. The gift economy is not just about trinkets and crap that gets lost in the dust. THough stickers are freakin cool.
I got to go to my first Burn in 09, I actually worked on art projects for burn in both 98 and 99 but do to time and cash couldnt go to see it on the playa. Sucked. But I drove from Virginia to Balckrock with my wife and 2 kids, for this event. It cost us everything we had for the year including spare time, but it was well worth it. And we are going back this year, but with out the kids. The 12 year daughter didn't like being grimy, my 3 yr old boy loved it to death, but this year its for the adults. We will save a few days for the beach or mountains for the kids later. But long story short, I have seen a change from the man for years, the late 90s were all about young raver kids getting wasted and injured, and there was talk of decline. Now its driven by tons of clubs pumpin techno, so what. Screw it. I had tunes going, no one came by my camp and plot on the rug and said hey. But who freakin cares, it is what it is. I think my bigger issue was with the drunk idiots. The ones who cant handle their high. Other then that, I say screw it, and have a blast. We will be around, I am a low key kinda guy, I can exist out on the playa amongst 30,000 people and stay completely alone, whether its by my choice or just random chance, either way I am happy. But you strike up a conversation and I will talk your damn ears off. SO I say just take it for what it is. ANd yes as long as it doesnt go commercial it will be just fine. You have to live with some "bad" to enjoy the freedoms of life.
"Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." George Carlin

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:Some very good advice and...

I like your perspective and your ride, good Doctor.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Return to “Stories”