Buring Man getting worse every year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
willyloafofphora

Post by willyloafofphora » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:44 pm

ygmir wrote:is it possible to be rude in France?.........
It is not possible to be rude in France. I heard they don't even have a word for rude.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Try impoli.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:

I think coming to Burning Man, making no art, wearing blue jeans and t-shirts the whole time, not bothering to light your bike, etc. is as rude as going to France speaking only English and complaining about the service and lack of ketchup.

All Im sayin'
Personally, I'm not real big into costumes either--and I don't think that it is being rude at all. I do have a full length hooded fur coat; but most nights it's really too hot to wear. My playa 'costumes' tend to be sarongs. (something I would never dream of wearing in my suit and tie life off the playa). I really enjoy all of those that do dress in a multitude of costumes. I volunteer as much as possible--lamp lighters, ice, bus depot, etc. I decorate my bike with glow when going out at night--as well as myself--well, because that's fun for me and I don't want to get run over because someone can't see me on the playa. Thinking back to my first year I guess I did dress in shorts and T shirts, at least for the first couple of days. So how is this being rude?

JK

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:46 am

It's always khaki and frat shirts for me.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:41 am

It's as good or as bad as you make it. It's a subjective experience. It's like asking people to define art or love. It means different things to different people and everyone has a right to experience it any way that they want. Really.

I hate when people say "This year was really bad, huh?!" I've never had a bad year. I have different years. This year was good despite the horrendous pain from a wisdom tooth and a kidney infection I was fighting.
It's my fault if I have a bad year. Maybe, you need a paradigm shift.

I don't go ever expecting anyone to provide me with a good time. If there is something that I want or desire than I think I should create it or bring it.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:26 am

i wore $1000 suits and my gucci loafers all week, and had a name tag that read "successful businessman"

it was my american dream.....to be able to trash said Luxury items, because I Can.

but, to say that not dressing up is like going to france and only speaking english, and hence therefore rude, is like saying that the opinions of the french actually matter.

......i'll wear whatever i damn please, and i still participate a hell of a lot more than some candy raver with fake fur assless chaps and fucking bunny ears.

please, if costumes mean you're INVOLVED and ENGAGED and PARTICIPATING then i dont wanna play.

how fucking stupid can you get.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
but, to say that not dressing up is like going to france and only speaking english, and hence therefore rude, is like saying that the opinions of the french actually matter.
LOL

JK

pignome

Post by pignome » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Burningman is MTV's New Summer Break!

More BOOOZEEE MORE TITS MORE ACTION!!!!

Yes Burning man should implode! DIE! For at least 5 years...

There is a limit to size.. its called URBAN SPRAWL.

But if your into it...let me know how your lung cancer is in 7 years.

Sweetness kids.

Long live the Beast of Burningman!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:45 pm

If you feel that way about BM why bother to read and post on eplaya?

JK

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:47 am

jkisha wrote:If you feel that way about BM why bother to read and post on eplaya?

JK
Guessing: Expressing feelings. Yes, a human trait. Curious, captain. Fascinating.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 am

Ugly Dougly wrote: Guessing: Expressing feelings. Yes, a human trait. Curious, captain. Fascinating.
Venting is good, if that's all it is.

JK

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Hear that Pignome (if that is your real name) - confine your remarks to venting.

Direct criticism of the Burningman event is not permitted. Read your ticket.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hear that Pignome (if that is your real name) - confine your remarks to venting.

Direct criticism of the Burningman event is not permitted. Read your ticket.
LOL you're funny Ugly Dougly.

JK

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:18 pm

No, just bored.

Troy Van Berry

Re: If they're not in your face, they're not your problem.

Post by Troy Van Berry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:32 pm

jackmack wrote:
fucking ravers & christers!
No thanks,
In both cases the "sex' is soooo boring. Duh :roll:
The art is in the details

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:04 pm

jkisha wrote:So how is this being rude? JK
My first post in this thread should cause you to realize you misunderstood my point.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Point? What Point! The point was a REAL burner would have a POINT! Oh, I forgot the legal mind.... is there really no katsup in France? what do they put on their French Fries?

and what is the Buring Man getting worse thread about anyway. what is buring man? oh sand moles...
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:
jkisha wrote:So how is this being rude? JK
My first post in this thread should cause you to realize you misunderstood my point.
So what was your point? In 10 words or less.

JK

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am

my point, or points, admittedly poorly made, is that I think it is rude to go to a pot luck party with no food or beverage, then stand around the table eating and drinking what other people brought. Its okay if one or two folks do this, but when 25% do it, it is a drag on the whole party. First timers should be cut some slack, sure, but every first timer who bothered to read the survival guide should have some lights on their bike at night. No excuse.

I've said plenty of times that costumes are not the end-all be-all of participation and I cited my own personal experience in that regard. There are so many different ways to participate at Burning Man that I think it is rude to just show up and not gift, not contain your moop, stand up during temple burn, shout at folks who stand at temple burn, not volunteer, wear no lights at night, etc. SO jkisha, I dont see how you were rude and never said you were.

We Deliver, when you go to France and don't bother to learn a few basic phrases, smother your bif stek and pomme frites in ketchup, dont be surprised if you leave France thinking the French are snobs. Making an attempt to experience the culture of the place you visit will be far more rewarding for you than imposing your scene on someone else's culture.

I think I was reacting to my friends who traveled to BM this year with no art, no lights at night, and little apparent desire to do anything but sit outside their RV drinking beer. It seemed to me, and a lot of oters on this foru, that there was a boatload of these types this year. I have never dissed someone on the playa for dressing like a defaultia cubicle worker, but there seems to be more and more folks each year who obviously never heard the "no spectators" phrase.

I havent stated anything revolutionary, have I?

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:53 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:.....
We Deliver, when you go to France and don't bother to learn a few basic phrases, smother your bif stek and pomme frites in ketchup, dont be surprised if you leave France thinking the French are snobs. Making an attempt to experience the culture of the place you visit will be far more rewarding for you than imposing your scene on someone else's culture....
Ok. I googled Bif Stek,

and got this

from some LDS forum
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... s&tid=3328

Ay don no eef deese layer weel git true cus ayyam sneeking eet owt of dee monastario Whear ayyam bing held captivo dooring lent beecus ayyam dee ownly won hoo kin kook dee feesh for dee feesh fray eech frayday nayt.

Ayyam beeding sumbady to rexyu mee fram heer beecus may hans ar boorned too pisses fram dee gleese een dee dip fut frayer esplaching whin ay drap dee feesh meet eemtoo dee hut gleese.

And dee pipples yust kip comming far mor an mor feesh beecus eet ees awl yu can it feesh an cheeps.

Whay doo day cole eet cheeps innyweighs? Cheeps comb frum nachos nut frum putatos!

Innyweighs, ay cud youse yu hulp beeg taym an sow cud may frin hoo kook dee frinch frays.

Youse look four dee feesh fryar an dee cheep monk an breeng son bif stek!

Fr. Jocka

Then I googled pomme frites and found out they are a Belgian product, so what does that have to do with France?

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

I know enough French to know that on the French Airline, if you ask, "is the bathroom this way", you might get the response. "Wee Wee" and you might have to answer, "no, poo poo" (I've liked that one for 50 years)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:06 am

wedeliver wrote:
Teo del Fuego wrote:.....
We Deliver, when you go to France and don't bother to learn a few basic phrases, smother your bif stek and pomme frites in ketchup, dont be surprised if you leave France thinking the French are snobs. Making an attempt to experience the culture of the place you visit will be far more rewarding for you than imposing your scene on someone else's culture....
Ok. I googled Bif Stek,

and got this

from some LDS forum
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... s&tid=3328

Ay don no eef deese layer weel git true cus ayyam sneeking eet owt of dee monastario Whear ayyam bing held captivo dooring lent beecus ayyam dee ownly won hoo kin kook dee feesh for dee feesh fray eech frayday nayt.

Ayyam beeding sumbady to rexyu mee fram heer beecus may hans ar boorned too pisses fram dee gleese een dee dip fut frayer esplaching whin ay drap dee feesh meet eemtoo dee hut gleese.

And dee pipples yust kip comming far mor an mor feesh beecus eet ees awl yu can it feesh an cheeps.

Whay doo day cole eet cheeps innyweighs? Cheeps comb frum nachos nut frum putatos!

Innyweighs, ay cud youse yu hulp beeg taym an sow cud may frin hoo kook dee frinch frays.

Youse look four dee feesh fryar an dee cheep monk an breeng son bif stek!

Fr. Jocka

Then I googled pomme frites and found out they are a Belgian product, so what does that have to do with France?

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

I know enough French to know that on the French Airline, if you ask, "is the bathroom this way", you might get the response. "Wee Wee" and you might have to answer, "no, poo poo" (I've liked that one for 50 years)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:my point, or points, admittedly poorly made, is that I think it is rude to go to a pot luck party with no food or beverage, then stand around the table eating and drinking what other people brought. Its okay if one or two folks do this, but when 25% do it, it is a drag on the whole party. First timers should be cut some slack, sure, but every first timer who bothered to read the survival guide should have some lights on their bike at night. No excuse.

I've said plenty of times that costumes are not the end-all be-all of participation and I cited my own personal experience in that regard. There are so many different ways to participate at Burning Man that I think it is rude to just show up and not gift, not contain your moop, stand up during temple burn, shout at folks who stand at temple burn, not volunteer, wear no lights at night, etc. SO jkisha, I dont see how you were rude and never said you were.

We Deliver, when you go to France and don't bother to learn a few basic phrases, smother your bif stek and pomme frites in ketchup, dont be surprised if you leave France thinking the French are snobs. Making an attempt to experience the culture of the place you visit will be far more rewarding for you than imposing your scene on someone else's culture.

I think I was reacting to my friends who traveled to BM this year with no art, no lights at night, and little apparent desire to do anything but sit outside their RV drinking beer. It seemed to me, and a lot of oters on this foru, that there was a boatload of these types this year. I have never dissed someone on the playa for dressing like a defaultia cubicle worker, but there seems to be more and more folks each year who obviously never heard the "no spectators" phrase.

I havent stated anything revolutionary, have I?
No, and I agree with your post completely.

JK

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:30 am

wedeliver wrote:Then I googled pomme frites and found out they are a Belgian product, so what does that have to do with France?
I can barely spell in English, let alone French. Bif-stek is Franglish for beef steak and one can see it on menus all over France and Belgium. Pommes-frites is correct French for what we call French fries. A potato in French is pomme de terre (earth-apple) and when fried they are called simply pommes frites. One of the official languages of Belgium is French so they are often called that there too, same is in the multitude of other countries were French is spoken.

Wheeew, hopefully we've all limped over the finish line of this very special olympics. My lesson: post less on ePlaya and don't use crappy analogies when I do.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:16 pm

[quote=" My lesson: post less on ePlaya and don't use crappy analogies when I do.[/quote]

and if we all did that, what would we have to argue and discuss?

mistakes are the best.........flaws even better.......

I like milk, chocolate, and brandy with my coffee.........

carry on........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

transientdance

Post by transientdance » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:40 am

there comes a point where the desire to hear ones own voice becomes complaint and where that complaint may quickly turn against the complainer.

I am going to the thing this year, first time.... sure it'd be great to go back in time to when everything was original and innocent. Everyone isn't going to be in on whose-ever's little circle of confidences or on the same bandwidth of 'participating.' I bet if I let it all out to 'participate' people would not be able to understand me. Maybe some people have established a mode of 'playa' behavior but the same ease may to be available for all.

It's practically a miracle when people can disengage themselves from whatever machinations they are caught up in to respond to each situation appropriately or specifically...

of course I will probably find some issues to complain about afterward... I cannot imagine those complaints being very far from similar party situations...

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:28 am

"I bet if I let it all out to 'participate' people would not be able to understand me. Maybe some people have established a mode of 'playa' behavior but the same ease may to be available for all."

please dont go....it is going to suck, hard, you'll hate it, i'm sure.

the citizens of black rock are the worst kind of bitchers, moaners, indigents, liars and thieves....a serious group of haters who piss vinegar all over your fruit salad and then laugh at you as you wonder why it's so tart.

i'm one of them.

if you're looking for utopia, try lawrence kansas, or fox's deli on 57th.

for 300$ you think you can just buy into a Kultur?

nein.

you must get down and lick the playa, bitch, and let her come first before you go getting yours...

next year, after you've suffered, then you can whine.

maybe.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:03 pm

...dont be surprised if you leave France thinking the French are snobs.
Mais les Français sont snobs. Au moins les habitants des zones urbaines et du Nord sont.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Reminds me of the Smother's Brother's takeoff of the The Streets of Laredo:

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy"
"I see by your outfit, you are a cowboy too."
"We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys"
"If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too"

That can't be the only measure of participation.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:29 pm

But in Paris they look down on everyone outside Paris, including the french.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 am

Have you ever tried a North Beach? Simply Hot Chocolate with Brandy. :D

It's a fistful of yumminess!

Return to “Stories”