Accident on Monday

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
KBorkey

Accident on Monday

Post by KBorkey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:03 pm

On Monday as we arrived at the Playa (thanks for arranging a white-out for us Virgins) we passed an accident scene about 5 miles before the entrance gate. It was a Suburban with a trailer that appeared to have slipped off the road. When we came across it, the Suburban was being hauled out, the trailer looked like toast.

As we sat waiting for the city to re-open I heard that people died in that accident. It was a very sobering thought having just driven from Richmond, VA all the way to BRC, Nevada.

Can anyone confirm the truth of it? Please tell me it was just a rumor.

Thanks

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:11 pm

I can not say for sure, but any death would be big news and we would know about it. It would be front page news nationally if this were the case. With that said, I am confident that there were no deaths in that accident.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:25 pm

I dont' think front page news nationally, but we'd almost certainly heard of a fatality. Bad injury leading to fatality a few days later, I don't know. But having come back from an accident that was pretty damn near fatal, it's amazing what modern medicine can do.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Come to think about it, while there is a grapevine that does keep at least some of us appraised of fatalities, there is a dodginess to it, in that it's possible that it comes near to privacy violations.

But also come to think of it, I had dinner on Exodus night with someone who said no fatilities and was in a position to know. If the Monday driver had died by that time, he probably would have known and included it in some way to the count.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bluetick

Post by bluetick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:56 pm

Is this the one you're talking about?

Two girls wrecked a trailer that morning and walked away unharmed..... I came across this on flickr.

KBorkey

THANK YOU

Post by KBorkey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:58 am

I greatly appreciate everyone gathering to help me out!

BlueTick - that appears to be the accident! Fuuny how you remember things and how they actually appear. Good thing I'm a housewife and not part of a CSI team!

I am so glad to hear that the ladies made it out - I thought of them often during the week and was saddened.

Thanks again to everyone who read my post!

Be Well - Keep your circle open.

Otisserie

Always overstated

Post by Otisserie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 pm

The one thing you can count on is that the BM rumor mill will always overstate the number of deaths and, in this year's case, create ones where none exist. I remember a couple years ago being solemly told by someone "who had a friend in EMS" that 5 people had died on the playa that year. The gruesome details included 3 killed in art car accidents, one overdose, and one case of manslaughter.

In reality it turned out that one man had died of heart failure.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

Return to “Stories”