EMPIRE STORE NEEDS HELP!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
AMES

Post by AMES » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 pm

HI!

First i wanna thank evreyone who wants to help. We need all the help we can get right now.. I work a full time job and a mother of 3 and now a part time attorney!! j/kidding!

filmguy! i will be emailing you! I would love to go this weekend, please give me all the information! and thanks for any help :)

goathead... ive read ur postings and it makes me sad! if u know anyone in MY famiy, u would know what kind of people WE are! and who exactly do u know??????? my cousin? and if u have lived in that town long enough, ud know my grandfather!! and u would not be posting these things! yes my sister said he was "horrible" but who wouldnt??? if you were in our shoes ud understand!! OUR grandfather NEVER made a VERBAL agrement with LAWSON!! he was a TENTANT who took advandage of an old man!! THAT STORE MEANS THE WORLD TO MY GRANDFATHER!!!!! USALLY when u LEASE a full maintained BUSINESS., WHEN ur LEASE is UP OR WHATEVER!! u LEAVE the BUISNESS!!! NOT GUT IT, SO NO ONE ELSE CAN USE IT!!!!!!!!!! and from what i hear NOW, the house has been trashed! nice??? LAWSON left the towns EMPIRE/GERLACH with NO means of a gallon of milk!! NO FREASH bread!!! NO HOT LUNCHES or sub sandwiches for the PLANT WORKERS!!! He OVIOSLY had no care about the towns!!! GOATHEAD! i know ur his friend. THATS FINE! but please to bash my family! we just want people like u to have a store, even if u dont use it very often! some people do! I have no bad feelings! we are great people! cant wait to meet u!!!

MY FAMILY MEANS NO HARM!!! this is about the only store for 2 small communitys! MY GRANDFATHER OWNS THAT STORE!! AND I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO GET IT BACK TO "DOORS OPEN"

im in the process of opening a bank account for the fundraisers!! we are working on hopefully a few things. any help is appricated! not even $$ time, hard work, anything flooring, paint! from what i hear some local community people wanna help.

AGAIN THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:12 pm

Amy!

You're back! I was hoping we were not trying to help, and nobody wanted it!

Great news - I just talked with Rayno - he is the head guy putting on the big reno decompession and very willing to help you guys by setting up something so you, and other burners, can raise money, look for equipment - and generally raise awareness! He is way cool - perfect timing.

Any of you burners out there going to be near reno? There is a gigantic decompression going on this saturday. You can find them by going to
http://renodecompression.ning.com/

By the way Amy, i put a post on their site about your troubles just a little while ago and Ryano put it front and center so all the renoburners can see it.

You seem to be developing some good friends here - I am guessing you will become a real burner after this!

Jim
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 pm

And your sister is who? hsdavis?
No I don't know your grandfather, in 98 Donny and JR had the store.
Donny ought out JR in??? 01?? JR bought the Black Rock station in Gerlach,
Sold it later to Borg? For DPW.
Your standing up for your grandfather, thats the way it should be.
At the same time pardon me, if I refuse to stand by while a good friend of mine for many years gets trashed.

I am more then willing to tone it down, I have tried not slander your family.

But then again if I see people talking shit about how Donny fucked the community again I am more then willing to crawl back in the gutter with whoever.

Shall we tone it down?

local

Post by local » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 pm

AMES,
I am wondering how your grandfather was planning on running the Empire store if he has no money to stock it ?

Also after reading your last post it has come to my attention that you can't spell . How are you planning on running your business ?

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 pm

goathead wrote:And your sister is who? hsdavis?
No I don't know your grandfather, in 98 Donny and JR had the store.
Donny ought out JR in??? 01?? JR bought the Black Rock station in Gerlach,
Sold it later to Borg? For DPW.
Your standing up for your grandfather, thats the way it should be.
At the same time pardon me, if I refuse to stand by while a good friend of mine for many years gets trashed.

I am more then willing to tone it down, I have tried not slander your family.

But then again if I see people talking shit about how Donny fucked the community again I am more then willing to crawl back in the gutter with whoever.

Shall we tone it down?
You simply can not be serious when you say you don't know her grand father. You are supporting Don Lawson JUST because he's your friend? Your friend may just have overstepped his temper and anger here. If you stand by your "good friend" just because you know him, then you need to read the article in the paper again.
I suggest you contact your friend and ask him to donate the $50,000+ it's going to take to give the two towns back their store. After he laughs in your face, then you will know what a friend you really have.
Do you think he will give back any of the fixtures that he didn't smash? Do you think he will replace the wiring in the gas pumps that were ripped out? Do you think he will help clean up the mess?
It appears that you know little more than I do---and I'm not even a local!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Bob wrote:If USG needed a company store, they'd fucking build one.
[youtube][/youtube]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm

local wrote:AMES,
I am wondering how your grandfather was planning on running the Empire store if he has no money to stock it ?

Also after reading your last post it has come to my attention that you can't spell . How are you planning on running your business ?
Local, Many, MANY successful business owners have reading and spelling issues. So if it make you feel better or bigger than Ames then keep on picking on her. Or just crawl back into your cave and eat your Maggots that your talking about in your other well written post. Big Man Local, big man. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

AMES

Post by AMES » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:14 pm

first of all i know how to spell!! and is that all u can do is criticise?? im running on NO SLEEP!! i work a full time job!! and i have a 3 year old liitle boy running around me!!! im doing evreything i can to get the "LOCALS" store back!! I've been running myself crazy helping my grandfather!!!

MY GRANDFATHER HAS WELL ENOUGH MONEY TO STOCK THE STORE! BUT HE DIDNT PLAN ON HAVING TO REMODEL THE PLACE BECAUSE THE LEASEE DESTROTED THE PROPERTY!! WE DIDNT PLAN ON REPLACING THE COOLERS HE CUT ALL THE LINES TOO.. EVEN TOOK EVREY LITE BULB!! DESTROYED THE PLACE

I'm done defending my family! all i can say is we are working on getting the store to "open door" status.

and thanks for all the help!! i have some promising leeds....

[email protected]

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Hey crypto - nice flick! Havent heard that for a few years!

local - odd that you just joined today and jumped in with a critism like that...not terribly friendly

Amy, hang in there and don't be put off - there are some really nice burners, in fact the vast majority are cooperative and helpfull - thats what burning man is all about!

There are lots of people here who understand you are not to blame for all this, and I understand you must be fried. It's pretty stressfull dealing with these issues, especially raising 3 kids, working full time, and commuting back and forth from Gerlach to Reno trying to help. Ouch - get some rest girl!
Jim
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:08 pm

:D
I'm not up on all this. I don't know the history of the store or the town or anything. And I did not read this whole thread -- too much shouting.

But some years back I worked with a man from Gerlach, and he was a fantastic guy to work with, fair and sensible, (and he died of cancer), and, and, and....

...and I just had this thought:

Well, let’s see now.

Unfortunate circumstances have led to the closing of the Gerlach-Empire general store; a store much needed by the local population and also well utilized by many of the visitors who happen by.

To reopen or replace the store will require some capital for store fixtures and other up-front costs.

To operate the store in tune with local needs, seasons and other conditions, the operator ought to be someone who already has a year-round presence in the area.

It seems likely that any entity that embarks on this “rescue missionâ€

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Sorry, Elliot, Metric's overextended as it is.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:23 am

[quote="Elliot"]:D
I'm not up on all this. I don't know the history of the store or the town or anything. And I did not read this whole thread -- too much shouting.

But some years back I worked with a man from Gerlach, and he was a fantastic guy to work with, fair and sensible, (and he died of cancer), and, and, and....

...and I just had this thought:

Well, let’s see now.

Unfortunate circumstances have led to the closing of the Gerlach-Empire general store; a store much needed by the local population and also well utilized by many of the visitors who happen by.

To reopen or replace the store will require some capital for store fixtures and other up-front costs.

To operate the store in tune with local needs, seasons and other conditions, the operator ought to be someone who already has a year-round presence in the area.

It seems likely that any entity that embarks on this “rescue missionâ€

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:41 am

hsdavis wrote: It appears that you know little more than I do---and I'm not even a local!
Are you related to Ames?

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 am

hsdavis wrote:Elliot,
It's an interesting read. Not too much shouting, just some bickering. Check it out.
Maybe BMorg could come up with the money to rebuild and run the store for the local communities and hire Donald Lawson to manage it. It could be a beautiful, full service, state of the art store, given as another nice gift to the community in order to get them to like us more! :roll:
There would have to be a strict policy not to steal gas caps off the burner's vehicle's, sell them back and then pocket the cash.
Ummm, isn't this Lawson fellow the cause of all this mess? Why hire him back??

And if someone is going to steal my gas cap, could you sell me one from a Jag back, along with the hood ornament? It'd really dress up my truck. :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:07 pm

:idea: I really like the idea of burning man stuff at the new store if there will be one gerlach is on the map because in no small way of burning man the shop keep should have a display of sorts like a museum for the tourist who is b.m. curiuos and sell lights etc. that are not available elsewhere a burnerminded shopkeep could also have a handy buisness as a clearing house for burning man shit all yearround besides the milk and eggs that is [color=blue][/color]
Le ART est le ROI

lonestoner916

UPDATE!

Post by lonestoner916 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:11 pm

For those of you interested that haven't yet heard, we've found some relatively inexpensive equipment and store fixtures for our favorite little desert store, and they should be re-opening soon, possibly by the end of this week! 8)

There is still work to be done though, the store itself needs a little work, and it has to be completely restocked. Here is the Paypal info. http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ex-outside
Send to: [email protected]

Thanks to everyone for your continued support!
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

lonestoner916

Almost there!

Post by lonestoner916 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm

UPDATE: The lovely Amy and her entourage of strongmen are at this very moment loading up the last of the needed equipment at Lake Berryessa, before coming here to Loomis to pick up an ice cream freezer and some cash registers, and to at long last make my acquaintance!

:twisted:

hsdavis

Re: Almost there!

Post by hsdavis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 pm

lonestoner916 wrote:UPDATE: The lovely Amy and her entourage of strongmen are at this very moment loading up the last of the needed equipment at Lake Berryessa, before coming here to Loomis to pick up an ice cream freezer and some cash registers, and to at long last make my acquaintance!

:twisted:
Yeah Amy! She's my hero and I can feel a statue of her being erected in downtown Empire! Does Empire have a downtown? Well it should!

I am so happy to hear that the Empire Store is coming back to life---probably bigger and better than ever.

Please keep us informed of the progress as this Phoenix rises from the ashes.

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:57 pm

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 pm

In 2007, I was lucky enough to be by the Green Man II as he was resurected on Thursday of that week. I have never seen him raised before, so this was an amazing sight for me. A passing art car started to blast Lynard Skynard's Freebird as the crane started to lift it into place. Both the sight of the Man being raised and the song in the background was one of the most moving experiences I have had in all my years going. There were not many people watching and I must have snapped 50 photos trying to capture and save the moment.

The re-opening of the Empire Store may exceed this by a long shot. I hope someone is there to take pictures.

lonestoner916

On their way back to the desert...

Post by lonestoner916 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:47 pm

8)

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:09 am

You might do better manually setting the exposure on shots like that.

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:46 am

Lonestoner & Amy -

That is so fantastic that it all came together! A lot of people and a lot of work - sorry I missed it. If you guys are still in need of help, I can come up next week- this week has been crazy.

The good news is I get to meet some local burners for dinner and B/M movies tonight.

Jim

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:42 pm

gyre wrote:You might do better manually setting the exposure on shots like that.
Yeah, those were taken as an afterthought at the last minute...
Luckily, hsdavis is a better photog than I!

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Bob wrote:But which Donald shot Flash?
Either Annette shot Flash or one of the Missle Dick Chicks did it.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Hooray for the landlords!

Down with business owners!

Hooray!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

AMES

Post by AMES » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:41 pm

hello.. im happy to say were getting somewhere! thank u to those people who have sent donations, gas is killing us!! I WON'T STOP TILL THE STORE IS OPEN!!!!!!!!

. Here is the Paypal info. http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ex-outside
Send to: [email protected]

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Hooray for Bruno's Texaco!

Or Shell!

Or whomever you're buying gas from!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 am

Bob wrote:Hooray for Bruno's Texaco!

Or Shell!

Or whomever you're buying gas from!
Well, sort of! Bruno is gouging people on the gas prices since there is no competition. $4.00/gallon since he realized that he was the only game in town. He's about a dollar too high for what he should be. What a great guy to overcharge his neighbors, just because he can.

Amy, will you be getting the wiring replaced and the pumps back up and running?

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:35 am

$2.50 here.
They regulate price gouging here.
A lot of complaints from right after the last hurricane.

Not too smart.
People have long memories.

We had a neighborhood service station down the street.
They always treated the kids on bikes like shit.
Then they got their parents to go elsewhere.

My entire life my parents never got gas there.
I did the same when I started driving, but they were gone soon after.

That's negative marketing.
They had three generations drive past them to buy gas further away.

Return to “Stories”