Soooo, any interesting wildlife encounters?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 pm

wedeliver wrote:I watched a bear get killed the other day. I don't need no bear sausage. I don't need to bear rug. The bear was not in the food chain, just wrong place wrong time. Poor fucking smoky!
Police in Michigans Upper Peninsula town of Ishpeming recently killed a Moose that had wandered into town and wasn't successfully able to be removed. In a part of the state that is very hunting friendly, the locals were pretty pissed at pd for whacking the moose. Police blamed the locals for swarming and agitating the moose. They felt that killing the Moose was the best option, after ruling out herding it out of town or tranquilizing it. Don't know if they at least made use of the meat or what. I hate to see something like this happen, but if it had to, at least make use of it. If healthy donate the meat to a shelter.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm

In Montana roadkill and poached game goes to the tribes.

I can't figure if this is good or disgusting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm

My buddy once ran into a duck with his truck no, this isn't gonna be a rhyme, I don't have time Whacked it's melon with the bumper and done killed it. Tasted good :wink: I also hit a deer with my truck. That one tasted good too :D

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Yesterday, December 7th while comming home from shopping there were about five to eight wild horses trotting on the eastbound shoulder of US 50 through Moundhouse, NV messsing up traffic. There were around four motorist trying to keep them on the shoulder but one got into traffic and ran across and they all followed to the westbound side. Last I saw they were heading toward McClellan Peak above Carson City. No accidents.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 am

Thecatman wrote:Yesterday, December 7th while comming home from shopping there were about five to eight wild horses trotting on the eastbound shoulder of US 50 through Moundhouse, NV messsing up traffic. There were around four motorist trying to keep them on the shoulder but one got into traffic and ran across and they all followed to the westbound side. Last I saw they were heading toward McClellan Peak above Carson City. No accidents.

Wow, timing aye? Luciky you! Did you get any photos??
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 am

So, is anyone going hunting this season?

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:So, is anyone going hunting this season?
I did, but only had a long weekend. Got a glimpse of 2 deer, only the flank through the trees so I wasnt sure on the sex, and since I only had a buck permit...... :(

My Mom's cousin got a nice 8 pt though same day. Thankfully had alot of snow so I only developed mild chest pain helping drag the sucka out of the woods.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 am

It's nice when deer have the good sense to die uphill.

FrostyMan

Post by FrostyMan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:39 am

Interesting topic!

When I was a kid growing up in Ohio, I used to spend weekends with my great granddad. He lived in the woods. It was wonderful. Those woods were full of all sorts of wild life. Deer, raccoon, birds, wild turkeys, berry bushes, a pond. In the spring we used to hunt black morels, in the summer go fishing in the pond, and in late fall, yes, deer hunting. Most of what we kids ate while there came from those woods. To be honest, when I was stuffed with rabbit or deer or whatever I never felt healthier.

Great granddad died some 15 years ago and the land was sold. House and all the woods around it bulldozed to make room for a soybean farm. I drove by it a few weeks ago when I was home and it was unrecognizable. They were spraying some nasty smelling"organic" fertilizer. See, one of the biggest customers for the soybeans is a tofu manufacturer. I always picture some vegan sitting down to a nice big plate a steaming tofu a feeling proud that they didn't not harm any animals. I doubt no animals were harmed the day those bulldozers rolled in.

I'm not saying all meat is good either. Factory grown beef and chicken....yikes! lemme explain.

Corn 101 - Sweet corn you eat with dinner is NOT what you see growing in the fields of the Midwest. That's called Yellow Dent corn or field corn. And it is inedible to humans and has the nutritional value of dog shit. It has to be processed in to something else like high fructose corn syrup (Double Yikes!). It is also used to make Ethanol but that a whole other thread. They also grind it up and feed it to live stock. Their main purpose it to make the animal fat, not healthy. So they keep the animals as immobile as possible and just keep feeding them field corn.

Interesting side note, the longest walk most pigs get in their lives is the 100yd. run down the shoot to be slaughtered. Some pigs have a heart attack on the way and have to be turned into cat/dog food because the FDA says an animal has to be standing while it is killed or it cannot be consumed by humans.

Anyway, the field corn diet is really bad on the animals. Because it has such low nutrition most of it's organs start to fail. Then we come in and put it out of it's misery. By the time we slaughter a cow it usually only has a week or so to live anyhow. Then we take the nutritionally poor meat and made a Whopper.

So basically that why I felt so good when I was eating deer and why now, on my Big Mac and Taco Bell diet, I feel like shit most of the day..... even if that food does taste fucking great!

Sorry to rant. Sunday morning. Bored. :D
"That which you manifest, is before you" - Enzo the Dog; The Art of Racing in the Rain

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:14 am

Rant away, it helps to pass my time :lol:
But you just had to go and mention morel's, didn't you?! Damn you, damn you to Cleveland! :P Those things freaking rock. Mmmm There's a farm/lab :shock: in western Michigan that's been trying to perfect growing morel's and other exotic shrooms under controlled conditions. Reportedly they have been having some good luck. But nothing will beat the wild ones. And I agree with you in regards to the dif. tween wild game and "processed crap". A nice venison roast in the crock pot with some veggies, mmmm. See, paybacks a bitch, ain't it? :lol: Did you ever eat the heart? One of the best parts. I'm overdue for another one of our wild game parties. We've had most of what walks, swims, flies, and yes, crawls upon our great country, including exotics from overseas, Lion mmm and Kangaroo for exp. The last of the Roo went to Michigan Speedway, tailgating for a Nascar race. Ahhh, redneck heaven at it's finest :D

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:54 am

Some butchers will still get you grass fed beef.
They say most people don't like it, but it tastes much better to me.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:00 am

yeah, I buy 1/2 a beef every year from a friend, locally raised on grass, last 6 weeks gets good grain. not chemicals or antibiotics.........

it's the best, IMHO...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 am

I have been checking out co-ops online, Ann Arbor, which is pretty progressive has some nice ones. There are also farms around here that you can "buy into" and get fresh organic foods, whether it be meats, dairy or veggies. I need a new food sealer, my current one doesnt work well anymore. But I really would like to start buying more local foods, preferably organic.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:01 am

Sail Man wrote:Rant away, it helps to pass my time :lol:
But you just had to go and mention morel's, didn't you?! Damn you, damn you to Cleveland! :P Those things freaking rock. Mmmm There's a farm/lab :shock: in western Michigan that's been trying to perfect growing morel's and other exotic shrooms under controlled conditions. Reportedly they have been having some good luck. But nothing will beat the wild ones. And I agree with you in regards to the dif. tween wild game and "processed crap". A nice venison roast in the crock pot with some veggies, mmmm. See, paybacks a bitch, ain't it? :lol: Did you ever eat the heart? One of the best parts. I'm overdue for another one of our wild game parties. We've had most of what walks, swims, flies, and yes, crawls upon our great country, including exotics from overseas, Lion mmm and Kangaroo for exp. The last of the Roo went to Michigan Speedway, tailgating for a Nascar race. Ahhh, redneck heaven at it's finest :D
I don't see dog or cat in that list.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:24 pm

jkisha wrote:
Sail Man wrote:Rant away, it helps to pass my time :lol:
I don't see dog or cat in that list.

JK

Jeeze JK,
that's because they are living together.........mass hysteria is next.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:15 pm

I met a woman last year who saw a Pterodactyl.
Not on the playa but while traveling in Mexico.
She was sure of it. No one could talk her out of it.
Absolutely, 100% sure.
Yep.

I wonder what they taste like?

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I have seen bigfoot - Twice.

Once when he beat the shit out of my cabin, and the toher a week later when I was hiking the same trailhead. That was back in summer of 89 when i was a back country ranger for the National Park Service In the Olympic National Park. Was living in Port Angeles at the time - Great Summer!!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:55 pm

mdmf007,
that is so cool.
I love visiting the Olympic penninsula, and, thought, if bigfoot was anywhere, it'd be there.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:41 pm

i have big feet... see them every day, too.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Just call my Nofoot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 am

OnceTheDustClears wrote:I met a woman last year who saw a Pterodactyl.
Not on the playa but while traveling in Mexico.
She was sure of it. No one could talk her out of it.
Absolutely, 100% sure.
Yep.

I wonder what they taste like?

I would guess a mix between Dolphin and Bald Eagle.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:37 am

Turnip wrote:Were the kitties okay? =[
Just speaking from personal experience here: cats on the playa are fine. I bring mine every year. Just make sure you HEAVILY sedate your pets if you bring them.
It's what you make it.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

I went to a wild game dinner tonight at a local church. I tried some Moose stuffed mushrooms, gator nuggets, wild trout, catfish, crawdads, buffalo chili mac, deer fahitas, chicken gumbo, elk spagetti, buffalo lasagna, duck & goose kabobs wrapped in bacon, jerked wild pig, and some other dishes. Surprisingly, the only dish I didn't care for was the chicken gumbo...too spicy hot. There was no skunk chucks, or coon kabobs, or roadkill helper. The only vegetables were potato salad, baked potato, and wild rice with crawdads. There were six long buffett tables, must have been over 1,000 folks there. The guest speaker was Joe Smith, the Olympic Boxing coach that went to China. It was a great evening, mucho protein... :)
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 am

HughMungus wrote:
Turnip wrote:Were the kitties okay? =[
Just speaking from personal experience here: cats on the playa are fine. I bring mine every year. Just make sure you HEAVILY sedate your pets if you bring them.

Somehow, I don't think they're actually all that "fine" if you end up having to heavily sedate them for the entire experience...

That can't be all that humane.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Just call my Nofoot.
:shock:

Yeah, but I bet your still kinda handy :wink:

Return to “Stories”