Tower of Babylon, is it still up?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:51 am

gyre wrote:The information on current tv SAST was that it is a fully rated and engineered system.
I would be very curious to see a detailed picture of the joint design.

I will try to look up more, but I don't feel like looking through three hours of SAST right now.
Would this help gyre?

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:56 am

Are those really the joints?
Damn.
That would have been my last guess.
Very interesting.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:01 am

Yes, they apparently are, googled marijuana joint picture and thats what I got. Mine don't look so nice, more like pregnant worms.

ummm, damn, did I say that?

I mean, umm, back in the 70's yeah, thats it they looked like pregnant worms :oops:

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:13 am

Oh.
Didn't even see those.
I didn't get the perspective.
I thought it was giant plastic fasteners.
Sheesh.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:17 am

I've never seen those pretty colored papers before either. Guess I don't spend enough time in head shops these days. :(

JK

Oh and to The CO, thanks for the info, interesting to hear from someone 'in the know' on this.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:18 am

gyre wrote:Oh.
Didn't even see those.
Sheesh.
You need a break. ;)

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:40 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Didn't even see those.
Sheesh.
You need a break. ;)
Less egg nog maybe?

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:02 am

Didn't even see those.
Sheesh.
:D
I also thought I was looking at some sort of child's toy erector set, probably of a dinosaur skeleton -- plastic bones held together with wooden pegs. Honest, that's what I saw.

Of course, I don't smoke. At all. Ever.

FilXeno
Burning Since: 1995

Post by FilXeno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:11 pm

No, It's not still out there.
BUT, A few friends and I were out there last month and saw a giant structure towards where BRC is usually set up. We went to go investigate, and it was a 2 story tall Rain Maker. Like a cinematic rain maker.
Weird.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Elliot wrote:
Didn't even see those.
Sheesh.
I also thought I was looking at some sort of child's toy erector set, probably of a dinosaur skeleton -- plastic bones held together with wooden pegs. Honest, that's what I saw.

Of course, I don't smoke. At all. Ever.
Uh Huh :wink:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:33 pm

I knew what it was right off, and all I could think looking at the pipe was: What a cheesy piece of glass blowing.

Individality is an odd hting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:34 pm

wedeliver wrote:Toolmaker, am I missing something? All I found is below.

Can you picture the county building inspector just looking at the power cables on the ground...

Any structure designed as an elevated viewing area should be considered carefully. How many people can it hold and how will you police it? If someone climbs up into it how do they exit without causing a traffic jam? Since you cannot dig holes in the playa you will have to use cable to secure your structure. Do you know what gauge is best for your needs? If you have not fully considered all aspects of your plan from a structural engineering perspective you have more research to do.
Thats funny.. I saw more words on the ORG page I sent ya to.

But I think I do get the original point you were trying to make. Was it that alot of stuff out there is just thrown together with little to no professionally government taxed license and registration?

As I understand it any art installation you build is YOUR responsibility. Any staff needs are YOUR responsibility. Lighting, Safety, Building, Teardown all YOUR responsibility. While you may be lucky and get a lil extra help NONE is expressed or implied. The folks at the Artery camp were very nice and cordial when explaining things to me, stop by and chat with em next year.

Much to contrary belief there is an occasional rejection from the various departments. Paranoia about "safety" has brought about more restictions to art and vehicles than warranted IMO.

I mean I really could give a fuck less if I die at Burningman, at least I would die having fun which is the best way to go considering all the options that are available for ones passing.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:17 am

Toolmaker wrote:I mean I really could give a fuck less if I die at Burningman, at least I would die having fun which is the best way to go considering all the options that are available for ones passing.
Uh Toolmaker, does this mean you'd want us to lash your body to the man and be cremated? :shock:

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:47 am

Sail Man wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:I mean I really could give a fuck less if I die at Burningman, at least I would die having fun which is the best way to go considering all the options that are available for ones passing.
Uh Toolmaker, does this mean you'd want us to lash your body to the man and be cremated? :shock:
I would prefer BBQ via BLEVE but will settle for being launched into space via a jet powered mutant vehicle. Being cremated during the burn is so.. well lets just say too many people try that crap and I would rather be special and original if I were to pass during the event.

Who knows.. I've been making some of my own propane art here n there so maybe I will blow myself up before the event. :twisted:
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

falk

Post by falk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 pm

cullen wrote:we could always do what we did in Iraq. bring in two room trailers and rent them out.
IIRC, Entheon did exactly that. They had containerized apartment units stacked up in their camp. I don't know what they charged.

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Toolmaker wrote:[I would prefer BBQ via BLEVE but will settle for being launched into space via a jet powered mutant vehicle. Being cremated during the burn is so.. well lets just say too many people try that crap and I would rather be special and original if I were to pass during the event. Who knows.. I've been making some of my own propane art here n there so maybe I will blow myself up before the event. :twisted:
:shock: Pop goes the weasel! Talk about creating moop! Well, that is, unless your completely vaporized. In which case, can I have your blinkies? :lol:

Return to “Stories”