BURNING MAN LIVE book (Piss Clear Mag)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey I was going to post about this, but Genevieve beat me to it!

Well, here's a picture of the book:

This project was definitely a labor love, and seriously, it is JAM-PACKED. Thirteen years worth of Burning Man stuff! I still don't think I've actually read it all! :D

- Adrian
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

recieved my copy a few days ago,,, excellent read,,, brings back memories. cheers Adrian for your work.......
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

rana

Post by rana » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Reading this now, as a virgin burner, it makes me VERY excited for this year! I feel so well informed. Thanks for all your work!

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Since Genevieve deleted her original post, let me explain the gist of it here:

The PISS CLEAR book is finally done! Eighteen months after we published our final issue in Black Rock City, "Burning Man Live: 13 Years of Piss Clear, Black Rock City’s alternative newspaper" is finally out! This was such a labor of love... I can't believe it's actually finished!

This month, RE/Search Publications published "Burning Man Live: 13 Years of Piss Clear, Black Rock City’s alternative newspaper," a 320-page anthology of PISS CLEAR, the playa's favorite newspaper!

From 1995 to 2007, the alternative newspaper PISS CLEAR was a fixture at Nevada's annual Burning Man arts festival, its cheeky name deriving from the Black Rock Desert's #1 survival tip: "drink enough water so that you piss clear." For 13 years, editor and publisher Adrian Roberts and his staff of writers wrote about the colorful culture of Black Rock City, and their snarky and sarcastic tone earned PISS CLEAR its well-earned reputation as the "Vice magazine of the playa."

Having started off as a sort-of sassy survival guide, PISS CLEAR quickly evolved into Burning Man's snarky reality check, chock full of hard-hitting articles, acerbic rants, witty commentaries, and funny lists. Along the way, it ended up documenting – as it was happening – the growing evolution of the Burning Man event.

"Burning Man Live" compiles all 34 issue of PISS CLEAR, and includes a brand-new essay from longtime columnist Malderor, as well as an introduction from Brian Doherty, author of "This Is Burning Man." There are also yearly chapter introductions from Adrian Roberts. Telling it like it was, this is the alternative – and yes, opinionated – history of Burning Man.
PISS CLEAR

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Moderator's Note: The original post was taken down because it violated the no commerce on eplaya rule. No exceptions, even for such a grand institution as Piss Clear. That's why the post above has been edited.

No really, we mean it about no commerce. Goes for everyone. Until BMORG lets us have a classified section, then we volunteer mods will vigorously enforce this policy.

If you can't figure out how and where to order one using the information above, you don't deserve to have one.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Yeah -

what AntiM said

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 pm

DOH! Sorry about that ... should have known better. My bad...

Anyway, yeah, what she said about finding the book! :-)
PISS CLEAR

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:15 am

Dang it, I should have used the links before I deleted them....

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:18 am

Piss Clear wrote:From 1995 to 2007, the alternative newspaper PISS CLEAR was a fixture at Nevada's annual Burning Man arts festival
What the hell do you mean WAS? I just assumed that I didn't run into any copies last year because I never really went to Center Camp. Please don't tell me that you guys are gone as well!

Everyone is going away...and I missed the final party at the Deep End. :(

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:26 am

Yup. Dead and gone. Geez, come on, we published out there for 13 frickin' years! We're still going out there, but ... it was kinda nice not having to publish a newspaper out there for once!

If you miss us, buy the book!! :wink:

- A
PISS CLEAR

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:42 am

If you miss us, buy the book!!
Well, that's obviously a given. I'll be ordering that puppy just as soon as I have some extra cash - your 2007 article on "The Top Ten People You Find at Burning Man" heavily influenced my virgin mind, and I'd buy it just for that one piece. I'll never, ever forget the last section, I believe titled something like "Actual Burners". The description was the best and shortest summary of how to be a good Burner that I have ever read, in my opinion.

Where are you guys going to be camping next year? I'll need to bring you some good booze as a thank you for getting me off on the right start. :D

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:30 am

PavementBlues wrote:
If you miss us, buy the book!!
your 2007 article on "The Top Ten People You Find at Burning Man" heavily influenced my virgin mind, and I'd buy it just for that one piece. I'll never, ever forget the last section, I believe titled something like "Actual Burners". The description was the best and shortest summary of how to be a good Burner that I have ever read, in my opinion.
We ran those articles? Really? Man, I was so mentally checked out in 2007. I'll have to check with Eric, my copy editor ... I don't even remember those!

Or rather, maybe I should just read my own book! LOL
Where are you guys going to be camping next year? I'll need to bring you some good booze as a thank you for getting me off on the right start. :D
We'll take the booze, but geez, it's only April ... we have NO IDEA where we'll be camped next year! We don't even know what we're doing yet!
PISS CLEAR

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 am

I hear geezers like the Hushville. :wink:

orangepeelmoses

Burning Man Live / Piss Clear Anthology

Post by orangepeelmoses » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 am

scored my copy this past week

knowing that eye contributed,
even in such a relatively minor way
(primarily haikus),
fills me with pride

Opm
http://www.facebook.com/Orangepeelmoses

rob1981sac

Post by rob1981sac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 am

where can i get a copy?

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:38 am

You can be self-reliant and look at the picture to see the publisher's name: Re/Search Publications and see if Google gives you an appropriate webpage with a Search tool to enter Piss Clear.

Adrian has created an exceptional piece of art with his Piss Clear team and in 2008 he wrote for the Black Rock Beacon.

If we all holler loud enough maybe we can coax him back to more writing. At the Beacon, we understand his commitment to other art projects though and would be happy to see his happy face show up at the paper just to sniff the ink!

If you didn't get one of these yet, you'll really regret it when you see someone else's copy. It is a treasure, for sure.

(Adrian, I'll collect my hug when you show up at the paper!!!)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 am

Or you could use the private message or email function and try to contact him directly.

actually there was a sales link, but you know eplaya.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:01 am

Adrian, having been out there from 96' to now, i can only Bow and then Curtsy to the master Himself, and his little fru fru dog Malderor for the most excellent and aromatic droppings that my mind may or may not have stepped in all these years.

You Ma'am are a fucking genius, and i am SO glad you are going to inject some hot steaming RELEVANCE into the fossilized fish wrapper known as the Bleak In.

NOW, i can FINALLY take a crap, smoke a cigarette and Expand my, um , MIND all at the same time, every morning on the playa (well not ON the playa) with my fresh copy of Piss Clear cleverly disguised as the Beacon, since i know that you'll just clean house, get rid of everyone except deb and john lam, and put out something i WOULD actually wipe my ass with, as opposed to not.

in honor of the all too famous list...

Hot....Corporate /// Not....Non-profit
Hot....Gubbermint Speed/// Not....Trailer Park Speed
Hot....Black Rubber /// Not....Black Culture
Hot....Austrians /// Not....the English
Hot....Action Grrl /// Not....Larry
Hot....Servants /// Not.....Slaves

Love you guys, keep up the Good fight, and see you bastards on the playa.

c'mon over to Root Society, where me and my Fellows will be mixing martinis hourly...

ask for H.G.Crosby or Simon of the playa, He'll know where to find me.

Harry.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Piss Clear

Post by Piss Clear » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey everyone! Thanks for commenting!

Truth be told, the BEST way to get a book is to do a search for it on Amazon.com and get one from me DIRECTLY. (Look for me ... I'm one of the merchants there ... hawkin' books!)

That way, you can get one PERSONALLY SIGNED to you! I'll even throw in a vintage, un-playafied copy of an original issue of Piss Clear, which I recently found stashed in a box in my storage unit!

As for writing for the Black Rock Beacon, I'll have to see if I'm suitably inspired! It's nice to have an outlet, without, you know, having to go through all the trouble of publishing my own stupid newspaper just to rant about something!

But so far, all I've got are a few Out/In List items and some Playa Lingo ... hardly enough to announce a "comeback." ;-)

- A
PISS CLEAR

Return to “Stories”