Your Burning Man Traditions?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Davoid

Post by Davoid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Buy a couple of pizzas for everyone to munch on during the drive up, in between whatever else we stop and get. It's great to have a simple, tasty, salty grab-and-eat food that is good hot or cold, and there are usually a couple slices left to eat while waiting to get in and during initial camp set-up.

Stop on the way up at the Albertson's on Keystone Blvd., which, Jesus, gets more burnified, supply-wise, every year. Also more crowded, enough to have their supply of Tecate cans obliterated before we got there at 1 AM Monday morning.

Vow I'm gonna climb more shit, see all the art, and ride more art cars, and then don't.

Vow I'm not going to chase the beat every night, and then do. This year (which was excellent for the stuff I like to listen to) I just said fuck it, I love to dance to good music, what else should I be doing?

Bring a bottle of bubbly to the man burn, share with everyone around me, hope I don't get the mouth herps.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 pm

pre-Burn: Vacuuming out my backpack (hooray for borders!)

post-Burn: Stopping at Summerlake Hotsprings on the way home.

Can't think of a tradition while on playa but I did something this year I'd like to turn in to a tradition. Saturday after the man burned, while the rest of my campmates were getting all dressed up and heading out to one of the sound camps to dance, grabbed the rest of my beers, jumped on my bike and went all the way out to the trash fence. Then just sat, watched the madness of the entire city going off, and offered beer to any other quiet solo wanderers out there.

oh, and use one of my empty beer cans as a vessel for bringing playa dust back with me, and take the dust from outside the fence. yep, def. a new tradition.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

OatmealMama
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Pre-BM Preparation

Post by OatmealMama » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Gain 15 pounds in the weeks before leaving for the playa. I barely ate in four days (not because of lack of planning or packing) - and besides the gifted watermelon, I had some chocolate, crackers and olives. So....pack on some extra reserves before BM!

PostBurn-Order three meals per person at a restaurant!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:59 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"

[/quote]

i still like my rituals.

decom, here i come.....pass the sugar, please.
Frida Be You & Me

Lowz
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hostel (but CNV stays in my heart)

Post by Lowz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 pm

H.G.Crosby wrote: fuck up my relationships
almost necessary ...(although I was a virgin so i can't tell what traditions will come up..but i'd like to repeat
- temple first day's dawn
- instant noodle
- try new drug
- thought "nothing will happen today" and be burn the second after
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Yum. 5 is a good start.

Just thinking... Just the thing to give an Absinthe cocktail a good reputation... heh heh heh...

(Then ya can blame the thujone...)

brushfire on the playa
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Post by brushfire on the playa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:27 am

always thinking i have more time to get ready, then running around like a madwoman trying to get everything together and i always end up forgetting at least one thing.

the last meal: right before leaving for the playa, we always eat a good meal full of protein, vitamins and flavor - all in good preparation for the lack of all of these things i will be getting out in the desert

when we get in line once we reach the playa waiting to enter the gates, we always turn the car off. since the first year i've gone, we've had a "carbon-nuetral entry" - someone gets in the car, puts in in nuetral and the rest of us push until we reach the gates. i can't remember how this started, but it's stuck and it's a great conversation starter. people always come to help us push and we can spread of the word of the "carbon nuetral entry"!

get to our camp site, immediately pour a celebratory shot - offer shots to any neighbors who are around. after the first shot, we set up the basic necessities fot the time being - tent, shade structure, etc. we take shots throughout the setup time and the immediately proceed to the man. after saying hello to our friend, we begin to explore.

getting minimal sleep the entire time. meet people, explore, dance, etc.

always show up to the man burn early to get seats far in the front.

on sunday get to the man to collect some ashes and try and find some cool pieces to take home. one year i made a necklace out of a cool burnt piece of the man i found.

one last trip to the temple before the burn.

before leaving, make a few playa angles and get as dusty as humanly possible before the sad farewell to the playa.

take turns driving and napping on the ride home.

stop at the first in n' out we see. there are always lots of burners looking wrecked and dusty and enjoying their burgers and animal style fries... mmmmm fries

get home, take a long shower then sleep for at least 20 hours. then another shower. clean some gear. then start planning and daydreaming for the next year.

geeeeeez what a ramble. sorry, i got excited just thinking about doing all of these things next year... hehe :D
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...

Return to “Stories”