So in Reno I ran into a REMSA manager...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Crissa

So in Reno I ran into a REMSA manager...

Post by Crissa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm

...Who was seriously badmouthing the event. He was going on and on about how REMSA provides services for BM but that only hurts their ability to provide services elsewhere in the state.

He also went on a tirade that people attending BM don't pay sales taxes (?) to the counties that REMSA provides service to.

Really stuck up and paranoid; I don't think he even knew how sales taxes are distributed in NV. I personally didn't, but I've never lived there. Was wearing a kelly green silk shirt and black dress slacks on Sunday. Anyone else meet him?

-Crissa

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:57 pm

You really like to complain about shit.

Have you tried Yelp.com?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 am

Do you know what it is like to be concerned with the health and safety of thousands and tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of people? To have to worry about the helicopters and the ambulances and tv stations who get all outraged if a 911 call isn't answered (by an ambulance at teh door) in 3.5 minutes? To know that hurt people die if they aren't tended to in the "Golden Hour"? To have lots of your resources engaged on a busy holiday weekend, when resources are already stretched?

So the guy was kind of a prick. Cut him some slack. EMS is not a profession for the sane.

Or was it the silk shirt that got to you?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:47 am

theCryptofishist wrote:So the guy was kind of a prick. Cut him some slack. EMS is not a profession for the sane.
but they are paid. many are well paid considering wage/effort relative to tow-truck operators, mechanics, road repair crews... so if the work involved gives rise to complaints, i dont see any reason for that to be an excuse when they can do something else.

or to help put it in perspective - imo sanitation workers are far more justified in pushing an attitude, they literally deal with everyones shit.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:50 am

Drink more water is the new fuck off

Since we seem to be playing a round of Non-Sequitor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Stories”