Hookahdome

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
toxic07

Hookahdome

Post by toxic07 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Hello brothers-burners and sisters-burners!!!!

Long time no see :) (almost 4 days)

A little about this year’s experience:
WOOOOOOW !!! What a trip!
Even though I was a little disappointed with the art installations but the art that was there and constant white-outs made it to the spot ï
Life is damn beautiful to live it short

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I camped in Lustre next to the Hookahdome and one of my most favorite discoveries of the week was DJ Cheb I Sabbah. I love the mix of sounds in BRC but I am verrrry music sensitive, so altho I go to BMan without musical expectations, I still find myself craving music I Love. Cheb was a savior! I caught a few of his sets and my favorite was I think it was Thursday morning sunrise at Hookah. There was a small conscious crowd of people, and everyone seemed tuned into the music and eachother. The music was soft and turned down, he was playing the sweetest stuff that caressed the ears. When the sun rose, everyone voluntarily without planning, faced the sun and we danced in praise of the new day. I ddint know anyone around me, but I felt comfortable and at home. I appreciated the dedication to emotion and vibration and all that gooey hippy shit that the DJ and crowd was shining. He connected to us all in a very genuine way. I was VERY grateful for that moment, as it is sometimes easy but many times hard to find in the city.
Another night set of his earlier in the week he played some celtic stuff that just made me melt. Such a breath of fresh air from all the testosterone crunky whompus that is so cool and hip these days.

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm

I cant find it right now, but some woman put together a big sound camp schedule pre burn, theres a thread for it somewhere on this board. You will find Hookah's schedule there. I wonder if the DJ you are in question is David Starfire?

I wonder if Hookahdome was too loud for that area though? seems like it should of been where the large sound camps are. I personally love a large sound camp closer to the inner rings of the city, but if the BMorg is reading this, please dont place a village like Lustre (where I camped) next to a large sound camp like that again. Our bar was completely overshadowed at times. I know next year we will be placed closer in, but it was a big blunder I thought, and all of the hard work that our village put into the Glitterbox was bombarded by the Hookahdome. I loved the Hookahdome but I think the Bmorg needs to be mindful of the neighbors surrounding. Last year it worked out much better when Lustre was on the other side of Hookah.

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 pm

It was a pleasure sharing the dust with you and Cheb

macrophage68
Burning Since: 2002

Post by macrophage68 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Thursday night we arc'd to Hookahdome via a deep journey around the playa. When we got to H-dome, around 0300 I am thinking, we were enveloped by an amazing sound, a slender white DJ mixing very fast, almost psy-trancian beats, and a black vocalist with a very fast and percussive style that complimented the sound perfectly.
I'd love to know who they were.

Regards

Macrophage

toxic07

Post by toxic07 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:43 pm

RedHeaven wrote:.... David Starfire? ...
Thanks "RedHeaven", that is the guy !!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO
Now I'm jealous that i have missed the sunrise at that place.... oh, well... it wouldn't be THE BURNING MAN if anyone could see even 50% at everything...

macrophage68 wrote:.... I'd love to know who they were. ...
Now, that i know the name of the skinny DJ :), the DJ was David Starfire but unfortunately i don't know the the black guy. He was in jamming in reggae style darn good!!!!!

Oh My FuCKING GOD (or whoever there is). check this out http://davidstarfire.com/music/
Had to edit the post, just found it

Thanks again "RedHeaven" !!!!!!!!!

Frankenstipe

Post by Frankenstipe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Every time I woke up I always wanted to go back to the Hookahdome. My friends wanted to get in but I just wanted to dance the music, it was crazysauce. Really good DJ's compared to everywhere else I went.

Technodome scared me a little and I never got the courage to go off on my own out around 10:00 and J where a lot of DnB, Dubstep and Glitch was taking place.

Hey did you guys hear Daft Punk played at Verboten. :wink:

DrPeffer

Post by DrPeffer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm

[quote="I wonder if Hookahdome was too loud for that area though? seems like it should of been where the large sound camps are. I personally love a large sound camp closer to the inner rings of the city, but if the BMorg is reading this, please dont place a village like Lustre (where I camped) next to a large sound camp like that again. Our bar was completely overshadowed at times. [/quote]

Seems the OP, if they represent Hookahdome, are as indulgent with their literary whimsy as they are with their PA system.

I was at 3:00 and Esplanade, "two doors down" from Hookahdome in Camp Transmorphagon. We (with BMorg's prior knowledge and approval, as a registered theme camp) had a big stage with a substantial sound system that easily dwarfs most mid-sized camps'. Maybe some of you reading this caught one of our DJ's, some Karaoke, or a set from our band, The Biggest Distraction, or one of the several other bands we had on during the week. We generally keep our super-loud activities between noon and sometime after midnight, 2 or 3 AM at the latest. That is to say that we like The Loud, and we love to grace the Esplanade and our welcome guests with cool music. But we also know that, come 3 AM, most people are on their way to sleep, or are already there.

And so, we all woke up on Tuesday (or was it Wednesday?) morning collectively cursing the fucktard who, at about 5 AM, decided that it was time to crank the subs and mains to what HAD to be the upper limit of their capacity. I sleep fine with the ground rumbling on the Esplanade, but this was beyond necessity. A couple of my campmates said that they walked over there to discover that there were only about ten people hanging out. If you've got a big crowd and they're all into it that loud, then I guess fair is fair. Otherwise, by doing that sort of thing, you're just being...Well...An asshole.

They call me Dr. Peffer. I'm not writing on behalf of my camp, and I'm speaking only for myself. So if you want to hate, hate on me personally, not on My Good Camp and the great times we've given BRC for the last 6 years. I just think that, even on the Esplanade, we should all be considerate of our fellow citizens' comfort. Sleep is a precious commodity on the Playa, and while nobody goes to BRC expecting eight hours of blissful slumber a night, DJ's and camps with substantial PA's should realize that they wield a LOT of power. And with power comes responsibility.

feelfree

Post by feelfree » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:12 am

Macrophage, you are thinking of DJ Radiohiro and MC Zulu. For my first burn I was fortunate enough to be with Hookahdome, and what an experience that was! I got to meet many of the djs and even become friends with some. David Starfire and Cheb I Sabbah (the sunrise on Thursday with him playing was one of my highlights) were the heat, but everyone else was incredible. I don't think we had one below average or even average musician the entire week. In fact my only regret was not spending more time at Hookahdome! Also check out DJ Jef Stott from LA, he played a bunch and was running point on the music end of things all week. Definitely worth a listen. Much love!

raftin

Post by raftin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:48 pm

In the past I have always been a fan of the Hookadome with their relaxed vibe and chill area. Our camp was excited to be placed next to them this year. What we weren't expecting was their hugh sound system playing each day till sometimes 9:00 am. Although the Esplanade is still well within the 300 watt limit zone of BRC, we gave ground this year but please, next year will you turn the music down around 3 am or move out to 2:00? I think your camp would really help re-invigorate that part of the city. I agree the DJ that was playing in the early AM on Wednesday (till past sunrise) was a bit of an ass. I biked by Hooka and there were only about 3 people dancing and sad to think our camp lost a night's sleep to that guy. It was also sad that 2 of our drivers stayed though Sunday night so they could be well rested but we again found Hooka playing well into Monday early afternoon costing valuable sleep time.

Please guys, if you decide to some back next year keep your music down during sleep hours and follow the 300 watt guidelines set your camp. If not, please consider moving to 2:00 where you will be welcomed. We love you, just not all night.

vanduker

Loud sound at Hookahdome

Post by vanduker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi all,
I'm Chris, the sound guy for Hookahdome, and also one of the organizers of the camp. First off, let me thank everybody for the compliments on the music. Jef did an amazing job organizing the music we listened to all week.

On to the sound... We had planned to have outside sound on Wednesday through Saturday nights, and we ended up extending it to Sunday night when we hosted a party for Shift camp, who were having equipment trouble.

I agree with the opinion of several of those on here that we were far too loud during sleeping hours on Wednesday night (Thursday morning). Following that night, we got a visit from our placer, Shadow, accompanied by several other placers, to discuss what transpired. As a result of that meeting, we made a concerted effort on the following two nights to reduce our sound levels gradually after 2am, so that we were down in the range of a couple hundred watts by around 3am. (Though it should be noted, that our speaker stack is around 8-10dB more sensitive than a typical, smaller pro audio stack, so even at that level, it's a substantial amount of sound.) On Burn night and the following night, we stayed loud later.

We want to be good neighbors, and I regret that we didn't live up to that standard as well as we could have. Our camp is going to be doing a bit of soul-searching this year, to figure out if having music out front is compatible with our primary mission, the dome. All options are on the table, including relocating to the large-scale sound area, creating a performance area on the other side of the Esplanade, and substantially reducing the scale of our sound. We like our location, but we also need for our neighbors to like being near us, and we realize that not all of them did this year. If you have any input on this, please reply here or contact me privately on here.

Thanks,
Chris

decoverite

Post by decoverite » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi Chris, I was camped next to Hookahdome with Costco Soulmate Trading Outlet. We were less than pleased with our sleepless Wednesday night - it felt and sounded like explosions going off around us despite the earplugs and bad whiskey - but we did appreciate that it was an aberration. We noticed that you lowered the music later in the week and we greatly appreciated it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking your neighbors into account. However, I would suggest that besides turning down the volume you more aggressively police your parties as well. Without a dome or a delineated dance space your events had a tendency to spill into our camp and village. This was especially problematic on Sunday when our camp was torn down and our trailer packed. A good portion of your dancers were on our side of the property line mooping and peeing on our tents (while we were sleeping inside) and pooping on our stuff. If you had people policing the perimeter and gently telling partygoers to stay on the Hookahdome side of the line I think it would have greatly cut down on the problems we awoke to on Monday morning. Jerks will be jerks and I understand that you can't control the bladders of all your attendees but I just thought I would add my two cents for next year. Other than that I really have few complaints about camping next to you guys. I liked a lot of the music you played, had fun dancing to your DJs, and still think the Magic Carpet is one of the favorite art cars on the playa.
Covered in Lint!

vanduker

Dance party behavior

Post by vanduker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Decoverite,
I'm sorry, we had no idea that was going on. I understand the occasional leak on the playa, but peeing on tents and pooping on anything is beyond the pale. Please accept my apologies. I will bring that up with the group, and we will make every effort to ensure that doesn't happen again. We did have security detail, but they were focussed on keeping people out of trouble on our property. We will certainly expand that role to include preventing those types of things happening to our neighbors.

-Chris

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:25 am

I hate to interrupt but I've got a question: what was the name of the stage right next to Hookahdome where they were playing with fire (spinning poi, fire breathing etc.)? I was there Friday night going back and forth between the two stages, and I saw a fire breather fuck up bigtime and set his beard on fire. I think he was burned pretty badly - maybe not hospitalized but definitely scorched...

Anyone know the name of that stage or what happened to that guy?

saisai

hoooookahdome

Post by saisai » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 pm

just wanted to say i absolutely loved the music played at hookahdome!

were the thievery corp rumors true sunday night? hung out till about 1 but had to take off...

also, anyone know if DJ's are listed anywhere online? i danced my ass off wednesday and thursday night and would LOVE to know who i was listening to.

can you find hookahdome at any of the decompressions?

ahh, so many questions!

anyway - thanks for all the awesome sounds.

~

oleg8888

Re: hoooookahdome

Post by oleg8888 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:46 pm

saisai wrote:
also, anyone know if DJ's are listed anywhere online? i danced my ass off wednesday and thursday night and would LOVE to know who i was listening to.

can you find hookahdome at any of the decompressions?

ahh, so many questions!

anyway - thanks for all the awesome sounds.

~
Ask vanduker

The Chinese

Re: Loud sound at Hookahdome

Post by The Chinese » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 am

vanduker wrote:Hi all,
I'm Chris, the sound guy for Hookahdome,...

We want to be good neighbors, and I regret that we didn't live up to that standard as well as we could have. Our camp is going to be doing a bit of soul-searching this year, to figure out if having music out front is compatible with our primary mission, the dome. All options are on the table, including relocating to the large-scale sound area, creating a performance area on the other side of the Esplanade, and substantially reducing the scale of our sound. We like our location, but we also need for our neighbors to like being near us, and we realize that not all of them did this year. If you have any input on this, please reply here or contact me privately on here.

Thanks,
Chris

hi Chris -

Chinese from Transmorphagon here...

Thanks for acknowledging the sound issues. I measured 95dBC in my camp at 8AM. and we were 100' away.

We didn't have a huge issue with loud music per se... we did not file any complaints with BMORG, but as Peffer pointed out we were cursing the incredible SPL in the AM times. but also factor this:

You share space with other theme camps. I had a 4200 Watt EAW sound system, and your guys' sound pooped on it, big time. Sour grapes? admittedly, a bit. But instead of creating sound wars (sure I could bring 8 Dual 18" horn loaded subs, and 8 Tops), we should strive to be mindful of everyone's art. If you bring that kind of sound, you should most definitely be in the LSSA zone. That's the kind of art you're creating when you get sound that loud, and I'm 100% for it, and you to express, so long as I can still express what I wish to express. We couldn't do any acoustic Acts or spoken word etc with your sound pumping at that level.

As for 300 watts, we all know that's a bogus spec. but Kicking almost 100dB into another camp 100' away is way too much.

That being said, I loved your camp and setup. I heard some amazing music (and some stuff I don't care for..Dubstep & ilk - blech!), and some great vocal stuff, especially the "terrorist" music as the DJ said. So I say keep the music out front, and bang it out til 2AM, then keep it under control. If you want to bang it out 24/7, head to the LSSA zone. you have a great rep and have been there year in and out, I wish you all best of luck!

Todd A. aka The Chinese
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:20 pm

woops sorry

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:21 pm

VERY well said Chinese, I was at Lustre and our venue was overshadowed all week long....as much as I loved the Hookahdome, this bummed me out because I know how hard the Glitter Camp folk work their asses off all year long to create that venue and space. Funny, just a simple placement difference like in 2008 when Lustre was on the opposite side made a lot of difference, but I also remember Hookahdome doing things differently in 08 and it was more compromisable and compatable than this year.

hahaha I hear you about the dubstep, if its gonna get really loud and crunky whompus, take it to the edge of the city. For me, that music is pushing some really eccentric limits and I praise it for that, but its still VERY jarring for those who arent in that mode.

The Chinese

Post by The Chinese » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 am

RedHeaven wrote:but I also remember Hookahdome doing things differently in 08 and it was more compromisable and compatable than this year.
Yes...We camped next to Hookahdome 3 Burns ago as well, and it was a much more mellow scene. I was super excited to get placed back by them this year. But Kudos to them for upping their game! I can see what's happened I think...They've become a fixture at 3:00 & Esplanade, just as Opulent Runs the 2:00 side, and Root Society rund the 10:00 side. But it's all good. Wishing the best for everyoen in '10 (Hard to believe that it's been 10 Yr since Y2K!!!)

Chinese
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah there was some world class stuff going on, it was amazing and hard to ignore! It, like Lustre, has been a really solid fixture in that area for the last 3 Burns, and it feels good. Funny what a little different placement will do, its a hard job and there are bound to be some misatakes or ways to do it better. We just learn for next round! In the end, there was some major magic going on in our hood from all!

umiivik

sound levels

Post by umiivik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:03 pm

I danced so much and so hard at Hookahdome, I think I left my ass there. Almost every time I passed by, I had to stop to shake it. That being said, their sound system was WAY TOO LOUD for the Esplanade. If this is going to be a trend, please, please take it to 10 or 2.

I'm actually quite happy to read so many posts regarding this issue. Also that Todd, The Chinese, had the equipment to measure the decibels at his camp. That night that was so loud, I thought, "how can I quantify how FUCKING loud this music is?" Thanks, Todd.

I was camped in the 3 o'clock plaza at Camp Unofficial. The plaza, over the last few years, has become a bustling little neighborhood. Several camps that are often placed on the plaza have been upsizing their sound systems gradually, including our own, and have been managed well. At times, this year, it was cacophonous, with each of us blasting into the center of the plaza. Sometimes we would have to ask one or the other to turn it down, and they too asked us the same. Most of the time, we would unknowingly take turns being the loudest.

On that night that I think most postings here are referring to (Sat. or Sun.), I couldn't imagine actually being closer to the Hookahdome than I was at my own camp. The sub-sonic bass pushed and pulled on my eardrums; I felt like I was underwater at serious depth. My equilibrium faltered and I almost fell over. This was not drug-induced. It was Hookahdome's massive bass cabinets.

My complaints to campmates went without understanding. Everyone said, "Yeah, isn't Hookahdome great? The music is incredible!" They didn't seem to be affected by the sound level like I was. In fact, many of them had just been there on the dancefloor and said it sounded really good, not at all as bass-heavy as it was just inside our camp.

I was told later that the bass cabinet ports were pointed directly into BRC, not out into the playa. This doesn't seem like the right way to create a soundstage, but I'm no sound engineer.

I agree that 300W is not a realistic requirement. If it were actually enforced, BRC would be an awfully quiet city. I appreciate that Chris (vanduker) wants to be a good neighbor, and inviting input on his camp and their sound is quite neighborly. Shadow also places our Camp Unofficial and the rest of the 3 o'clock plaza. I think she camped on the plaza this year and may have experienced those elevated sound levels. I'm sure that she can tell that most of the 3 o'clock plaza theme camps have sound greater than 300W, but also that we have all been fairly considerate of our neighbors. I'm sure that we can, as a community, figure out how to rock out loudly as well as get decent sleep during the cool hours of the nighttime.

Chris, I have really enjoyed the DJs and music that the Hookahdome plays, and I look forward to seeing your dome next burn. But, if in your soul-searching you find that music out front is in the cards, please move to 10 or 2, or scale down the system.

Respectfully,
Umiivik (aka James)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: sound levels

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

umiivik wrote:I danced so much and so hard at Hookahdome, I think I left my ass there.
*shudders*
(Reminder to self: Don't moop at Hookahdome again.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

umiivik

Post by umiivik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
umiivik wrote:I danced so much and so hard at Hookahdome, I think I left my ass there.
*shudders*
(Reminder to self: Don't moop at Hookahdome again.)
:oops: I'm so embarrassed. I'll look for it next year and pack it out...

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm

[quote="umiivik"]I danced so much and so hard at Hookahdome, I think I left my ass there. Almost every time I passed by, I had to stop to shake it. That being said, their sound system was WAY TOO LOUD for the Esplanade. If this is going to be a trend, please, please take it to 10 or 2.

I'm actually quite happy to read so many posts regarding this issue. Also that Todd, The Chinese, had the equipment to measure the decibels at his camp. That night that was so loud, I thought, "how can I quantify how FUCKING loud this music is?" Thanks, Todd.

I was camped in the 3 o'clock plaza at Camp Unofficial. The plaza, over the last few years, has become a bustling little neighborhood. Several camps that are often placed on the plaza have been upsizing their sound systems gradually, including our own, and have been managed well. At times, this year, it was cacophonous, with each of us blasting into the center of the plaza. Sometimes we would have to ask one or the other to turn it down, and they too asked us the same. Most of the time, we would unknowingly take turns being the loudest.

On that night that I think most postings here are referring to (Sat. or Sun.), I couldn't imagine actually being closer to the Hookahdome than I was at my own camp. The sub-sonic bass pushed and pulled on my eardrums; I felt like I was underwater at serious depth. My equilibrium faltered and I almost fell over. This was not drug-induced. It was Hookahdome's massive bass cabinets.

My complaints to campmates went without understanding. Everyone said, "Yeah, isn't Hookahdome great? The music is incredible!" They didn't seem to be affected by the sound level like I was. In fact, many of them had just been there on the dancefloor and said it sounded really good, not at all as bass-heavy as it was just inside our camp.

I was told later that the bass cabinet ports were pointed directly into BRC, not out into the playa. This doesn't seem like the right way to create a soundstage, but I'm no sound engineer.

I agree that 300W is not a realistic requirement. If it were actually enforced, BRC would be an awfully quiet city. I appreciate that Chris (vanduker) wants to be a good neighbor, and inviting input on his camp and their sound is quite neighborly. Shadow also places our Camp Unofficial and the rest of the 3 o'clock plaza. I think she camped on the plaza this year and may have experienced those elevated sound levels. I'm sure that she can tell that most of the 3 o'clock plaza theme camps have sound greater than 300W, but also that we have all been fairly considerate of our neighbors. I'm sure that we can, as a community, figure out how to rock out loudly as well as get decent sleep during the cool hours of the nighttime.

Chris, I have really enjoyed the DJs and music that the Hookahdome plays, and I look forward to seeing your dome next burn. But, if in your soul-searching you find that music out front is in the cards, please move to 10 or 2, or scale down the system.

Respectfully,
Umiivik (aka James)[/quote]

To be honest, the Sat AM music did not help me get off my ass and stay for the Temple Burn. It wore me out just listening to it. Ive camped on the Esplanade for my 3rd year this year and never got that blasted to the point of insanity. ha
Funny Hookahdome was the great yin yang for me this year. I loved it and hated it.

When I return in 2011 and from then on, I am done with the Esplalade. I have rocked it and now Im ready for the experience I had off of it my first 2 years. Lustre are AMAZING people and have made Burning Man even more wonderful for me in the last 5 years, but Im ready to have more dynamics for that week, like a darker sky and less noise. Black and white instead of a hundred shades of grey. (neon, haha)

luminous

Camping at Hookahdome

Post by luminous » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am

I was impressed with Hookahdome this year. I've been camping at Opulent Temple the last few years, but I hear they may be scaling things down a bit next year to sort of take a break. Does anyone have a contact at Hookah Dome that I could get in touch with to find out about camping there???

toxic07

Post by toxic07 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:34 am

Here are couple of mine clips from the night of the burn and the night before...
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

this is the one posted by David Starfire:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Camping at Hookahdome

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 am

luminous wrote:Does anyone have a contact at Hookah Dome that I could get in touch with to find out about camping there???
Off the main page (www.burningman.com) there will be a link to "theme camps." Follow it. Go to 2009 camps. scroll down to Hookah Dome and there will be a contact email.
There, I've taught you how to fish.
(I hope.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

The Chinese

Post by The Chinese » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 am

umiivik wrote:
...I was told later that the bass cabinet ports were pointed directly into BRC, not out into the playa. This doesn't seem like the right way to create a soundstage, but I'm no sound engineer...

Respectfully,
Umiivik (aka James)
Naw. the Cabinets were 2x18's faced out to the Playa. But Sub Sonic bass is not directional, so it tends to radiate in all directions. Their sound was good out in front. 2x18's with I would guess 12-14,000 watts. Each of those cabinets can produce ~135dB at 1M. There were 8. That, and probably where you were standing you were right in the peak of a very Low Freq waveform, which can indeed cause problems like you describe.

Todd

DangerFrost

Post by DangerFrost » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 am

I fell in love the last night at Hookadome.
I have never had a spiritual connection like i did that Sunday night.
Thank you stranger for continually visiting me on the astral.

I close my eyes to see you. I love you.
~Danger

Return to “Stories”