Hookahdome

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
umiivik

Re: sound levels

Post by umiivik » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am

[quote="The Chinese"][quote="umiivik"]

...I was told later that the bass cabinet ports were pointed directly into BRC, not out into the playa. This doesn't seem like the right way to create a soundstage, but I'm no sound engineer...

Respectfully,
Umiivik (aka James)[/quote]

Naw. the Cabinets were 2x18's faced out to the Playa. But Sub Sonic bass is not directional, so it tends to radiate in all directions. Their sound was good out in front. 2x18's with I would guess 12-14,000 watts. Each of those cabinets can produce ~135dB at 1M. There were 8. That, and probably where you were standing you were right in the peak of a very Low Freq waveform, which can indeed cause problems like you describe.

Todd[/quote]

I think you're right, Todd, about where I was with respect to the speaker cabinet array. As I walked from my tent, I was probably moving parallel to the array. It was loud alright, the whole path, but at one point I must have walked right into a big additive peak. It would've been a whole lot cooler if I stumbled into a spot that the waves canceled each other out completely. I would have pitched my tent there instead, haha.

Anyway, I do love loud music, especially music you can feel. I once had two 15" subs in my truck, powered by something like 1200-1500W. That was a bit too much. I've scaled back to a nice, balanced sound, with a single ported 10" sub.

There have been a few times at Burning Man that I've wished for a little bit of time in complete silence. I've wondered if it's really feasible to construct a quiet room, maybe a dome, with little mics and accelerometers to pick up the ambient sound and speakers and shakers to negate the waves...a noise canceling dome. Because, sometimes, in Black Rock City, it really is just full of noise.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 pm

I used to do that with my truck when I lived in the burbs. We'd bike back from the Esplanade and I would have a little rest moment by my tent and truck, and we would blast some Yonder Mtn String Band good ole trippy bluegrass and that would cure me for a bit, then we would dive back into the sea of UNTZ and get lost :)

I hope Hookahdome THRIVES next year!! I cant wait to visit again when I come back in 2011......and I will go back to my burbs where I can have those moments of being in my own head, because I have found that they are valuable to me in the last 3 years on the Esplemonade. Its up to me to create my experience.

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:14 pm

i listened to funk string cheese incident and the dead in my own space. good times, and the thumpa thumpa was great when i went out!!!!! good times!

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Thats the way to do it for me, too! In 07, my friend and I would go on morning bike rides and play String Cheese out of a boombox....fun times.

Last year in 08, we were watching the sun rise on the Pyramid,and Opulent Temple was going off all fartbass style whomp crunk armageddon land, and just down the Esplanade at around 2:30 was some loud ass Grateful Dead. "Here Comes Sunshine" was epic to say the least. Anyways, where else in the world are you going to hear a Grateful Dead/psytrance dubstep mash up?

Only at Burning Man :)

toxic07

Post by toxic07 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Fresh Video :)

whoever this Girl - she rocked that night so bad, i thought my brain would explode.
Thank you for being there and making my trip even trippyer :)!!!!

[youtube][/youtube]

Now i regret that i didn't ask her name...
Life is damn beautiful to live it short

Remark
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Remark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:34 am

toxic07 wrote: Now i regret that i didn't ask her name...
Her playa name is "Pepper Spray" ...or should be.

toxic07

Post by toxic07 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:58 am

Remark wrote: Her playa name is "Pepper Spray"
For real? Ohhhhh.... I think i fell in playa love... :)
Life is damn beautiful to live it short

TwoHott

Thanks for magical dance

Post by TwoHott » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks to the Hookadome and all the neighbors that put up with it. We loved dancing there. One night we pulled the art car near there and had the most wonderful magical dance of my lifetime. It was one of those special dances where we became one with the music, and the dust, and each other. Flowing free form pure love. I noticed one young woman, sitting by herself, watching us in our magical flowing dance. From the look on her face, we were the art that inspired her and made her feel. I could tell that we woke up something deep inside her. I'll never forget that dance. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Risky

Post by Risky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:01 am

David Starfire will be playing in Reno in May -

Snow

Post by Snow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 am

I was in Lustre Village too, and loved hookah dome (this year and last). I had no issues with the sound, but it was VERY LOUD. Several times I had just returned to camp to rest but was drawn to hookah dome to groove the rest of the night away.

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

this is the one posted by David Starfire:

ok, i was warned to expect a lot of bad west coast trance, but that video looks pretty awesome. is it the end of august yet? cmon...

Gabbles

Post by Gabbles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 am

The first time I saw the Hookadome I was curious but not interested in standing in line to enter. I wound up going there on numerous occasions in 2008, found myself walking in at night and walking out after daybreak, stumbling in various stages of undress towards my camp, which, luckily for me, was not particularly far away.

Some of my most memorable moments and experiences happened within the hookahdome. I met great people, napped with them, woke up to a woman dancing in the middle of the room, napped again, cuddling with someone else only to look over later and see a couple passionately rolling around with each other.

Something about the hookahdome could make any wild night come down smoothly. I can't wait to lounge around again with them this year.

Return to “Stories”